• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
What, one scene of Littlefinger talking about Harry Hardyng? And Harry might not even be in the show. They're done with Sansa's published material.
Don't be silly, move that prostitute Littlefinger set Loras Tyrell up with to the Vale and you could probably get a season's worth of material featuring him and Lyn Corbray. Leaving the Eyrie could be an episode defining event like climbing the Wall; just have Littlefinger monologue to Sansa the entire time. Hell, it doesn't even need to be dangerous like in the books, they could just ride in the cable car. And if they wanted to one up Missandei and Grey Worm in the awkward romance stakes they could have Gendry wash ashore on one of the fingers and meet up with Mya Stone.

Pluto

That was probably the last GoT episode I watch until TWOW comes out. I don't know if it's a spoiler but I don't want to run the risk of it next year with them potentially struggling for material next season.

Anyone else like me?
Nope, I'm not putting the show on hold because the books aren't finished, another problem is that half of the internet will be talking about the show so i most likely get spoiled anyway. I'd rather see it on the show than on twitter or facebook.

Martin reads every script before they shoot.
Doesn't mean he has a say in what they do, they killed several characters off that are alive in the books although none of them was important tomthe story. So it's safe to say even if jojen is alive in the books he'll never do anything that can't be dropped or done by someone else on the show.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Nope, I'm not putting the show on hold because the books aren't finished, another problem is that half of the internet will be talking about the show so i most likely get spoiled anyway. I'd rather see it on the show than on twitter or facebook.
Indeed. It would be unwise to drop the show and wait 15 years for the rest of the books to complete.

Spoilers will be out there in all forms.

Wh0 N0se

I think it's pretty easy to avoid spoilers for things other than those idiots who go onto random sites like unrelated youtube videos and spoil things for people who aren't expecting it.

I wish we hadn't got to this situation where the TV show may be ahead of the original source material.

Moff

I think its next to impossible to avoid spoilers as soon as the show catches up. especially for major events.

dont forget, we will see in the next 3 or 4 years on tv what GRRM probably wont finish for another 10 years. thats an insane amount of time. show watchers have been spoiled on many occasions and the other way round it will be 1000 times more difficult.

yes, the books are popular novels in their genre, but the show isnt just a popular show, it has become a pop phenomenon. in 10 years these major events and twists from the show will be known to anyone, comparable to vader being luke's father, and people who think these things should still be treated as spoilers will be ridiculed.

if you think you can read ADOS in 2020+ witthout having been spoiled all these years, you are going to have a very hard time.

I think its next to impossible to avoid spoilers as soon as the show catches up. especially for major events.

dont forget, we will see in the next 3 or 4 years on tv what GRRM probably wont finish for another 10 years. thats an insane amount of time. show watchers have been spoiled on many occasions and the other way round it will be 1000 times more difficult.

yes, the books are popular novels in their genre, but the show isnt just a popular show, it has become a pop phenomenon. in 10 years these major events and twists from the show will be known to anyone, comparable to vader being luke's father, and people who think these things should still be treated as spoilers will be ridiculed.

if you think you can read ADOS in 2020+ witthout having been spoiled all these years, you are going to have a very hard time.

Just don't read any comments anywhere on the internet for a decade, easy.

It'll be far harder to avoid TV spoilers than it has been to avoid book spoilers. Have you seen the amount of gifs made of every damn second of the show? That's a huge source of spoilers that simply is not a factor with the books. Avoiding Facebook and Twitter will not be enough; you'd have to avoid every place on the net that people are commenting, news headlines, office conversation... it's simply not going to happen. I'd rather see the story unfold in some form on the TV than have it spoiled piecemeal through gifs.

aFIGurANT

I think that the books will probably offer enough added depth and deviated plot to make them worth looking forward to in their own right. However if the show makes it to ADOS and completes the series in pretty much the same way as the books, I will be a little crushed emotionally.

In short, the Books > the Show, but ultimately fantasy is about plot and that shit is hard to recapture once it's out of the bag.

Salvadora

Don't think I'm going to avoid spoilers from the show.

It's going to be years and years and years until we get a conclusion to the book series and there will in all likelihood be a lot of deviation, excluding the broad strokes.

There is no substitute for GRRM's writing, anyway.

Wh0 N0se

My decision comes from becoming increasingly disillusioned from the shows choices. Not just the source material but the way it's shot, the dialogue etc

The show won't ever be canon for me, even if people spoil it to me I won't believe it to be right until I've read the book. It's like The Walking Dead, it's not exactly the same, there's the same characters but the plot is not the same. People have died in the show who haven't in the books so I'm not worried about it.

I watch other shows too and haven't seen things like Breaking Bad but despite being on social media etc I haven't had those shows spoiled.

I'm less disillusioned with the show than I am the books. I really think the show has to redeem the middling plots of many of the main characters in ADWD and AFFC. And also it's been nearly 3 years since ADWD was released and we've got nothing, no target date, nothing, on the next book. An optimistic date for A Dream of Spring would be 2020, and there's not a chance I'm going to hold off on watching the show for another six years optimistically.

Brakke

Banned
That's pretty adorable :)
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/06/...tins-fantastic-four-fan-letter-from-the-1960s
GRRM wrote pretty well for a 14-year-old. Dat snark, wow.

george+rr+martin+trollface.jpg

Gruco

Banned
Anyone else read the short story The Rogue Prince? It basically acts as a prequel to The Princess and the Queen. I think it was probably the worst of his short stories, and would have a hard time recommending it. I do think it was probably edited better than TPATQ, as it did a nice job with the "history" angle - showing conflicting reports between sources and offering no definitive reconciliation. Much smaller and less dramatic scope though.

I just finished A Dance With Dragons and I must say, it's left me sorta meh for the first time this series. I just don't know what has been accomplished. I get it's a side by side with the previous release with a bit more going forward, but it seemed a whole lot to do about nothing. Perhaps more time was needed to get each character in the proper place thus the book sorta of doddled, especially with Tyrion and Daenerys. The single bran chapter (or was it two of them?) were great but we are just to assume that any mention of a wierwood is Bran spying on the events unfolding?

I just don't know what Martin is/was waiting for. Still looking forward to the next book in the series but I think ADWD sort of just lays there waiting for something to pick the story back up.

Loke13

I just finished A Dance With Dragons and I must say, it's left me sorta meh for the first time this series. I just don't know what has been accomplished. I get it's a side by side with the previous release with a bit more going forward, but it seemed a whole lot to do about nothing. Perhaps more time was needed to get each character in the proper place thus the book sorta of doddled, especially with Tyrion and Daenerys. The single bran chapter (or was it two of them?) were great but we are just to assume that any mention of a wierwood is Bran spying on the events unfolding?

I just don't know what Martin is/was waiting for. Still looking forward to the next book in the series but I think ADWD sort of just lays there waiting for something to pick the story back up.
The thing you have to understand about ADWD is that its actually a incomplete book the ends of several POV character arcs were taken out of ADWD and placed in TWOW as well as the Battle of Mereen which the entire book is building up to.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
removing the climax of DWD from... DWD... is, to this day, a baffling decision.

They actually read that manuscript and said: 'yep, nothing here we can edit down, best remove these last few chapters.' Like, fucking what? Really?

removing the climax of DWD from... DWD... is, to this day, a baffling decision.

They actually read that manuscript and said: 'yep, nothing here we can edit down, best remove these last few chapters.' Like, fucking what? Really?

It was a business decision to get the book out then instead of waiting for GRRM to finish it. It seems like the alternative would have been to split the book in two.

Showaddy

Just finished re-reading Swords as the series came to and end and now I'm onto Feast... Is there a guide on how to combine Feast & Dance effectively? Thought it might make the re-reads more bearable.

I would say books 4 & 5 largely told the story Martin wanted to tell with the rest being covered in the beginning of TWOW.

I believe that many years ago when ADWD was the 4th book, Dany was supposed to arrive in Westeros in it. So you could argue that TWOW is the third part of that 4th book.

Loke13

I believe that many years ago when ADWD was the 4th book, Dany was supposed to arrive in Westeros in it. So you could argue that TWOW is the third part of that 4th book.
Really? To be honest that's how I thought the story was going to go too until I read up about Book 4 and 5. Was this back when the 5 year time skip was still on the table?

Really? To be honest that's how I thought the story was going to go too until I read up about Book 4 and 5. Was this back when the 5 year time skip was still on the table?

Yeah, this when there was still a timeskip, and it was supposed to be a 6 book series, with A Time For Wolves being the last book. It was those hopeful post ASOS days before there were any signs of Martin having difficulty writing the series.

ZeroRay

The original, original plan for the series was that it was supposed to be a trilogy: A Game of Thrones, A Dance With Dragons, and The Winds of Winter. Red Wedding was supposed to conclude GOT, Dany was supposed to arrive in ADWD and the series would end at Winds.

lol

Loke13

The original, original plan for the series was that it was supposed to be a trilogy: A Game of Thrones, A Dance With Dragons, and The Winds of Winter. Red Wedding was supposed to conclude GOT, Dany was supposed to arrive in ADWD and the series would end at Winds.

lol
considering how dense this series is I can see why he expanded it.

Joni

lol
Market The Winds of Winter as "The seventh book in the increasingly inaccurately named Game of Thrones Trilogy"

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

lol

the names I'm familiar with, but do you have a source on the specifics, like the red wedding finishing GOT and such?

lol

Yup. GoT was going to not only have Ned's death, but also Blackwater and the Red Wedding. No wonder that didn't work lol.

Jayof9s

I've toyed with trying a read like this, but it'd be too much work. I'd have to create my own merged ebook first before I'd even attempt it.

I've read it following that guide before and it really wasn't that difficult. Other than a handful of chapters, they're all in order so you mostly just have to swap between FFC and DWD.

ZeroRay

the names I'm familiar with, but do you have a source on the specifics, like the red wedding finishing GOT and such?

The very early published versions of GoT still had Dance as the forthcoming book in the series, as for Red Wedding concluding GoT as well as the initial plans for the series, I read it from a GRRM interview a while back. He mentions it being conceived as a trilogy in a lot of his interviews in fact.

Reading got and grrm seemed to make a couple of mistakes. Ned and Robert repeatedly reference Jamie as the heir to casterly rock, as if he's not in the kingsguard, or the oath of the kingsguard doesn't exist. Really sticks out as incorrect.

CassSept

Reading got and grrm seemed to make a couple of mistakes. Ned and Robert repeatedly reference Jamie as the heir to casterly rock, as if he's not in the kingsguard, or the oath of the kingsguard doesn't exist. Really sticks out as incorrect.

Wow really, can you give an example of a chapter where they discuss it?

Also, woah, Jaime was Warden of the East? The hell...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom