• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ABZÛ |OT| A Journey into an ocean of wisdom

A little disappointed about no platinum (lol hur dur platinum hunters) but I'm really looking forward to jumping into this this week. Looks so beautiful.

Loved the soundtrack. It matches the setting of the zones well, and complements the visuals. The blend of these two strengthens the emotional impact of events.

Game length wise, I'd say it took me about 4hrs - maybe closer to 5hrs.

Whoooo! Thanks for the reply and this has me so hyped for the soundtrack.

Decided to go searching for some wallpapers and after trying to settle on several, I decided to go with this one for my Mac. Love it.

OaKufSh.png

Whoooo! Thanks for the reply and this has me so hyped for the soundtrack.

Decided to go searching for some wallpapers and after trying to settle on several, I decided to go with this one for my Mac. Love it.

Great choice!

Pretty much any screenshot from this game makes perfect wallpaper LOL!

I watched 40 minutes of this game. I mean, I'm glad it exists, but I'm still confused as to what I do as a player. Swim around and admire the amazing art?

I feel stupid saying this, but I need fail states for a game to be compelling and induce fear or mystery. Knowing I can't die ruins any tension with the sea and its creatures. That sucks...

I watched 40 minutes of this game. I mean, I'm glad it exists, but I'm still confused as to what I do as a player. Swim around and admire the amazing art?

I feel stupid saying this, but I need fail states for a game to be compelling and induce fear or mystery. Knowing I can't die ruins any tension with the sea and its creatures. That sucks...

Read the OP :)

Did you play Journey?

If so, did you play that game knowing that you couldn't die and yet came away with a great experience?

When you watch a great movie, you know you're not going to die - you're just there to watch a great movie. You're going to have a memorable experience and that's the intent.

As for me, I felt lots of tension and fear playing Journey - especially from the mid/end portions of the game. It was extremely well done and I expect that ABZÛ will be the same.

To be fair, movies and TV shows have plenty of tension that the characters could die.

But in most of those cases, they don't die - yet the tension remains.

Tension and atmosphere are extremely important in establishing a moving narrative and if you couple that with the perfect soundtrack; then you have a memorable experience.

JonnyKong

Has it been confirmed that this is definitely all single player? Would love to come across another diver seemingly out of nowhere just like on Journey.

thenexus6

Just "finished" Flow and Flower for the first time, now moving onto Journey.

My pre load has finished downloading for Abzu, not long now!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Pre-load complete, use of the theme is still locked til release. Counting down to tuesday now. Also pre-ordered Bound, since it also had that PS+ discount.

brawly

A theme being locked until the game's release is next level stupidness.

And why not lock it @30fps? We'll see how it runs.

If you *need* fail states in order to enjoy a game then honestly this probably isn't for you.

I'm curious if it's a go anywhere style game , all the previews have shown it to be a fairly tunnelled experience but even journey whilst funnelling you to certain places had a great open sandbox you could easily get lost in .

I'm curious if it's a go anywhere style game , all the previews have shown it to be a fairly tunnelled experience but even journey whilst funnelling you to certain places had a great open sandbox you could easily get lost in .

There does seem to be small hubs to which you can freely swim in.

But it is still an experience, and with a game like Abzu you need to funnel players into a certain path in order for your audience to have that feeling of wonder and 'wow'

Intel_89

Is the Playstation Play get 2 or more games for a 20% off coupon also valid in Europe? I've searched a bit and I'm unable to find it anywhere other than sites referencing the US store. Thanks.

Is the Playstation Play get 2 or more games for a 20% off coupon also valid in Europe? I've searched a bit and I'm unable to find it anywhere other than sites referencing the US store. Thanks.

We just get individual discount on the games in Europe. No coupon from what i have seen

Audioboxer

A little disappointed about no platinum (lol hur dur platinum hunters) but I'm really looking forward to jumping into this this week. Looks so beautiful.

For once and for all we really need dev answers on why the fuck some short random indie games have platinums and other longer ones don't.

It really doesn't make sense at times. You see it with PS2 classics as well, some have one, others don't.

You'd have thought if it was purely on the dev they'd hand out plats like candy (if the requirements are loose enough from Sony).

Audioboxer

whats up with that!? Games like song of the deep and now ABZU with no platinum but a game like Gone Home does. I dont get it.

Don't think anyone really knows. It's got to be on Sony. As sad as it sounds if you're a developer you know some folks are pretty "plat or bust". Chances are they'll pick your game up in a sale if it doesn't have one. If you're a smaller dev every sale counts, and more so at RRP.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I don't get it either. Even a game like SOMA, which takes 10 ish hours to beat, does not have a platinum trophy. I think the dev also has to request it, which may be a factor. Say the team makes an achievement list for Steam, then copies that for PS4, there might not be a plat because the team simply didn't include one.

Audioboxer

I don't get it either. Even a game like SOMA, which takes 10 ish hours to beat, does not have a platinum trophy. I think the dev also has to request it, which may be a factor. Say the team makes an achievement list for Steam, then copies that for PS4, there might not be a plat because the team simply didn't include one.

Knowing Sony certification for a plat probably costs more or something ridiculous like that.

Any rumblings on this getting a physical release at some point??

The team knows there is a desire for one. I asked Matt Nava about it in our interview - stay tuned until tomorrow!

Embargo ends 12:01 a.m. Tuesday morning, I believe.

I don't need reviews. I know I'll like it.

Me too!

Reviews not until Tuesday?!

If they had more confidence in the game they'd allow earlier reviews to drive more preorders.

That said, yes I've already preordered :p

Lol!

But in most of those cases, they don't die - yet the tension remains.

Tension and atmosphere are extremely important in establishing a moving narrative and if you couple that with the perfect soundtrack; then you have a memorable experience.

In some shows and movies, characters actually do die a lot. And it's the possibility in 75% of them that creates the tension, anyway.

I'm not saying every piece of media needs to have the threat of death. Just wanted to correct what you said about TV and movies.

In some shows and movies, characters actually do die a lot. And it's the possibility in 75% of them that creates the tension, anyway.

I'm not saying every piece of media needs to have the threat of death. Just wanted to correct what you said about TV and movies.

So if there is tension that a character may die - and they don't - are you saying that fact erases any tension felt or perceived originally?

Humdinger

This game isn't designed to create tension. It's designed to create the opposite. For example, they didn't have an oxygen gauge, because they didn't want players worrying about running out of air. That would create stress. They want to create a feeling of tranquility and exploration -- that is evident in all the video clips. Creating tension just isn't a goal here. There may be occasional moments of tension, but this isn't your ordinary game, fueled by adrenalin and the threat of virtual death.

If you think about the nervous system's sympathetic and parasympathetic branches (the first being fight or flight, the second being rest and restore), this is a game whose emphasis is on the parasympathetic branch. Relax, enjoy the view, explore, and swim (not sleep) with the fishes.

ironcreed

Banned
I know I want this game for a relaxing and refreshing change of pace in order to help me relieve the mountains of stress I have on my back right now. I get enough 'tension' from nearly everything else that I play.

Top Bottom