• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ABZÛ |OT| A Journey into an ocean of wisdom

Man it's so easy to miss out on these games. I had clicked on this thread by accident, now I'm going to pre-order it.
And Austin Wintory!?! For some reason iTunes wanted to make multiple copies of the Journey soundtrack so it seems every 3rd song out of my car speakers is from Journey. Ask my wife. Haha!

FYI .... for those interested in more of a taste :)

http://www.thewrap.com/abzu-austin-wintory-soundtrack/

If the ocean knew how to write music about itself, it would be this. It's heavenly and so incredibly tranquil. You abzulutely nailed the feeling of the ocean!

I always liked Spencer Nilsen's Ecco The Dolphin Sega CD soundtracks - I used to think they were the pinnacle of undersea music. I'm proud to say the new pinnacle is your ABZÛ score. No contest.

Audioboxer

It's strange how few undersea games there are; when there is limitless potential for them.

Endless Ocean on the Wii was great. Don't think it sold that well :( Therein lies the problem.

I always wanted a copy of that PS3 game in English, Aquanauts Holiday? The Asian version with English is rare as fuck and pricey these days. Damn Sony not giving it a WW release.

Endless Ocean on the Wii was great. Don't think it sold that well :( Therein lies the problem.

I always wanted a copy of that PS3 game in English, Aquanauts Holiday? The Asian version with English is rare as fuck and pricey these days. Damn Sony not giving it a WW release.

Yeah it sucks that it's so rare :(

so we're never getting confirmation of the game frame rate on ps4 are we? you said you were trying to find out but still no answer i guess?

I still haven't heard back from him. The team is travelling around doing interviews, so they're quite busy; but I should hopefully hear something in the next two days. I want to know the answer too! I'm hoping it's 60 fps on everything!

JonnyKong

Omg my internet went down last night and the current expected fix date is Tuesday. If it doesn't get sorted by then, I won't be able to day one this gem with all you guys. :(

Wait, Auston Wintory did the soundtrack for this?!

SOLD.

Yup.

And from what we've heard so far, it's a masterpiece.

I really cannot fucking wait for this. If the soundtrack comes out on vinyl, it'll be the first vinyl I buy.

Most likely so - and I'll buy it too :)

Omg my internet went down last night and the current expected fix date is Tuesday. If it doesn't get sorted by then, I won't be able to day one this gem with all you guys. :(

I hope you can sort that out by midnight August 2nd!

Okay gang!

My interview with Matt Nava is complete - needless to say, it is amazing and there is a ton of good news in it for ABZÛ fans! I am beyond excited to share this and the Austin Wintory interview [which is stellar as well] with all of you, so please look forward to Monday!

I can already think of a few of you that are going to be ecstatic over one particular question he answered ;)

Also, I finally got the official word on the framerate - the PS4 framerate caps at 40fps and runs at 30fps the rest of the time.

You legend, thank you! If it ends up nearly half as good as the Journey OST it'll still be worth every penny, as that still gets played on a regular basis.

The theme looks lovely but lack of music loop kills my desire for it a bit.

I didn't think it was possible to top Journey's main theme; but Austin Wintory did just that with the main theme to ABZÛ. It blew me away completely. I can't wait to hear the entire soundtrack!

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I didn't think it was possible to top Journey's main theme; but Austin Wintory did just that with the main theme to ABZÛ. It blew me away completely. I can't wait to hear the entire soundtrack!
Man this excites me to no end. The music was a huge part of what made Journey so special.

Yep just checked out another on Austin's bandcamp - sounding wonderful!

https://austinwintory.bandcamp.com/album/abz

For anyone interested - it's up for preorder already. $7. Steal.

It really is.

From his site:

"25% (or more) of the income here is used to support the non-profit Education Through Music - Los Angeles"

I fully support this endeavor, so I opted to pay $20 for it. I'll go much higher for the physical soundtrack. It goes to a great organization :)

Haha, I think I will. It'll be the perfect game to keep me occupied until NMS releases.

You won't regret it! Plus, you save 20% on it if you preorder before launch and if you preorder one of the other PlayStation Play games also, you'll receive an additional 20% off your cart price!

Pre-ordered my copy of the game for PS4 off PSN as well as the soundtrack from Austin's bandcamp site (got the email earlier this week but was finally able to order today). Hopefully Austin puts out a physical copy of the soundtrack to purchase as well, as I've bought his two previous Journey soundtrack CDs.

So looking forward to playing this (at home) and just relaxing. I loved what little I played at PSX this past December, so I'm anxious to play both this and NMS in August before the jrpg blitz of September rolls around.

I'd totally forgot this game existed until I saw the Easy Allies stream of it yesterday. Immediately fell in love with the whole vibe and it took me approximately 0.5 seconds to recognise the music was by Austin Wintory.

Can't wait to dive in (heh).

May or may not be more excited for the soundtrack than I am for the game.

Pre-ordered my copy of the game for PS4 off PSN as well as the soundtrack from Austin's bandcamp site (got the email earlier this week but was finally able to order today). Hopefully Austin puts out a physical copy of the soundtrack to purchase as well, as I've bought his two previous Journey soundtrack CDs.

I also am looking forward to a physical soundtrack release!

Yep! Have both of those Journey CDs autographed by him and would love to add another to the collection. His soundtrack for flOw is also lovely as well.

Mere words alone cannot fully express how much I would like to have an autographed copy of the ABZÛ soundtrack.

What I've heard so far is awe-inducing.

Mere words alone cannot fully express how much I would like to have an autographed copy of the ABZÛ soundtrack.

What I've heard so far is awe-inducing.

Agreed. It's like flOw + Journey = Abzû, which is definitely not a bad thing, since I do love both soundtracks, though feel flOw is a bit underrated. Life Could Be Simple and Gratitude are just gorgeous pieces.

Agreed. It's like flOw + Journey = Abzû, which is definitely not a bad thing, since I do love both soundtracks, though feel flOw is a bit underrated. Life Could Be Simple and Gratitude are just gorgeous pieces.

I love music and as such, I've always had a tough time choosing a favorite composer or artist.

After hearing "To Know, Water", that choice was made clear. Austin Wintory is now my favorite composer.

Before that, it was a five-way tie between Harry Gregson-Williams, Thomas Newman, John Williams, James Horner and Alan Silvestri [in no particular order].

I tend to lose myself in music and like Walter Mitty, I tend to think of extravagant things that I'm doing; or what best fits the music based on the emotions I feel during the track. Movie and game scores are the best for this type of escape.

I'm so incredibly hyped for ABZÛ and it's soundtrack. I hope my excitement is contagious and infects everyone that has a yearning for landmark games and lasting, memorable experiences.

Is Abzu an open-world game?

Yes and no.

The game has a linear progression system, but some of the areas are tremendously large and you're free to explore them and interact with the creatures there at your own pace for as long as you like.

So in that sense, it's open but there's a definite way to proceed.

You won't regret it! Plus, you save 20% on it if you preorder before launch and if you preorder one of the other PlayStation Play games also, you'll receive an additional 20% off your cart price!

I'm very tempted to pre-order Bound along with Abzu....are there any impressions on Bound that I can watch or read?

Tyaren

Yes and no.

The game has a linear progression system, but some of the areas are tremendously large and you're free to explore them and interact with the creatures there at your own pace for as long as you like.

So in that sense, it's open but there's a definite way to proceed.

That sounds pretty cool. Can I go back to certain areas or can't I stray from the path of progression that I have already chosen.

While I'm fully aware this is the ABZÛ thread ;)

Someone asked earlier about the Bound pre-order theme, so here it is.

Fully dynamic, and she dances intermittentlyas time progresses.

silXijU.jpg

So excited about both of these games. I'll be switching back and forth between both themes for some time to come.

Top Bottom