• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ABZÛ |OT| A Journey into an ocean of wisdom

This game isn't designed to create tension. It's designed to create the opposite. For example, they didn't have an oxygen gauge, because they didn't want players worrying about running out of air. That would create stress. They want to create a feeling of tranquility and exploration -- that is evident in all the video clips. Creating tension just isn't a goal here. There may be occasional moments of tension, but this isn't your ordinary game, fueled by adrenalin and the threat of virtual death.

If you think about the nervous system's sympathetic and parasympathetic branches (the first being fight or flight, the second being rest and restore), this is a game whose emphasis is on the parasympathetic branch. Relax, enjoy the view, explore, and swim (not sleep) with the fishes.

Very well said! That's what I was getting at was that there will be some moments of tension the further down you dive into the abyss; but for the most part, the game will be relaxing and tell a beautiful story.

I just pre-ordered this. I could not leave it for that price. I think I paid almost the same for Journey on the PS3 when it got released. Don't know for sure.

So if there is tension that a character may die - and they don't - are you saying that fact erases any tension felt or perceived originally?

What? Sorry, I'm not following the point.

It has been stated that death or failure/retries are not possible in Abzu. It is clear that those things are possible in 90% of videogames. In TV and movies, the threat of death or extreme failure are a) uncertain, b) apparent early, or c) obvious based on genre. Options A and B both create suspense. Option C means not to expect death in something like a comedy (most of the time).

Not sure why we're going into so much detail. I was merely correcting what you said about TV and movies being just like Abzu because the player can't die or have fail states. It's the characters who can die, which creates the suspense. That's all. Of course, that doesn't apply to all media/movies/games nor would I want it to.

What? Sorry, I'm not following the point.

It has been stated that death or failure/retries are not possible in Abzu. It is clear that those things are possible in 90% of videogames. In TV and movies, the threat of death or extreme failure are a) uncertain, b) apparent early, or c) obvious based on genre. Options A and B both create suspense. Option C means not to expect death in something like a comedy (most of the time).

Not sure why we're going into so much detail. I was merely correcting what you said about TV and movies being just like Abzu because the player can't die or have fail states. It's the characters who can die, which creates the suspense. That's all. Of course, that doesn't apply to all media/movies/games nor would I want it to.

I get what you mean. I don't mind that there is no dying in ABZÛ - there was no dying in Journey either and I still feel tension in that dark cave where the Serpent's appear and also going up the mountain where they are looking for you.

well, I just don't see how anyone could feel fear knowing a shark or creature won't even harm you. However, I hope the game has puzzle elements or something to engage me as a player. It looks beautiful and playful, but I'm afraid it would grow boring really quickly if all there is to do is collecting shells and holding forward.

*shrug*

I can appreciate it as a piece of art, but I have a hard time justifying it as a video game. I could just watch it =/

I get what you mean. I don't mind that there is no dying in ABZÛ - there was no dying in Journey either and I still feel tension in that dark cave where the Serpent's appear and also going up the mountain where they are looking for you.

There is a sense of dread there. Getting found or hit by those serpents makes you lose the length of your cape and replaying Journey countless of times with the full length eventually lets you morph into a more advanced character.

There is a sense of dread there. Getting found or hit by those serpents makes you lose the length of your cape and replaying Journey countless of times with the full length eventually lets you morph into a more advanced character.
I'm not sure what you're talking about, but that isn't what gives you the White Robe.

Can't wait for Tuesday.

Does anyone know if I should expect to finish it in one sitting, like Journey?

I only ever finished Journey in one sitting once. It took a bit longer to finish than my usual gaming sessions. From what I've heard, it's more or less around the same length as Journey.

Booted up my PS4 and saw the Abzu panel/countdown, and got really excited. I just finished Headlander today, so I'm ready to dive into (no pun intended) my next Play pre-order.

Abzu and the first episode of Telltale Batman this week
I've been so hyped about Abzu, I completely forgot that Batman was coming on Tuesday too. Gonna be a nice change in pace between them.

JonnyKong

I've just this minute completed Hyper Light Drifter, perfectly in time for this coming out. I'm thinking I need a nice relaxing change of pace!

In Journey, you collect glyphs to extend your scarf. Once you've found them all, you unlock the white robe with the regenerating scarf. Playing through it 3 times adds new patterns to your Brown robe [up to 3].

Can't wait for Tuesday.

Does anyone know if I should expect to finish it in one sitting, like Journey?

Yes.

If you explore the environments for a long time though, it will greatly extend your playtime - but even if you quit out of it, it will give you a continue option

In Journey, you collect glyphs to extend your scarf. Once you've found them all, you unlock the white robe with the regenerating scarf. Playing through it 3 times adds new patterns to your Brown robe [up to 3].

Yes.

If you explore the environments for a long time though, it will greatly extend your playtime - but even if you quit out of it, it will give you a continue option

Oh, damn. I completely got that wrong then. Don't you lose the glyphs when you get hit, though?

NateDrake

well, I just don't see how anyone could feel fear knowing a shark or creature won't even harm you. However, I hope the game has puzzle elements or something to engage me as a player. It looks beautiful and playful, but I'm afraid it would grow boring really quickly if all there is to do is collecting shells and holding forward.

*shrug*

I can appreciate it as a piece of art, but I have a hard time justifying it as a video game. I could just watch it =/

It has some minor puzzle elements to it. Each zone as spots you need to activate so that other species of fish will swim around, and there are seashells to discover in each zone.

Humdinger

For those of you who need the fear of death to make a game interesting, it might help to remind yourself that people sometimes die when they are sitting on their couch watching TV or playing a game. You never know, you might be next. You might keel over, and then it'll be months before anyone finds your rotten corpse, half eaten by your cat. Just think about that. Pretty scary stuff.

AWintory

Neo Member

*shrug*

This conversation came up a lot on Journey. And Flower. And flOw...

I have two responses: 1) I see the term "video game" generally broadening in its scope. A widening umbrella to encompass a vast array of types of experiences and interactions. I much prefer retaining that name than making "video games" a subset of "interactive media."

and 2) Games of minimal "activities" (lacking or with few traditional game mechanics like puzzle solving or shooting or crafting, etc etc etc) are still very enjoyable in the way that sometimes I go to a museum to see the exhibits, and sometimes I go to simply be in the space. The environment itself is evocative enough that the feeling of being there is all the interaction I aspire to.

I'm not trying to suggest ABZU is #2. But that is my case for why games which are purely #2 (I would use Everybody's Gone to the Rapture as at least a near-example of #2) are still very much are games.

For those of you who need the fear of death to make a game interesting, it might help to remind yourself that people sometimes die when they are sitting on their couch watching TV or playing a game. You never know, you might be next. You might keel over, and then it'll be months before anyone finds your rotten corpse, half eaten by your cat. Just think about that. Pretty scary stuff.

Wow, you really painted a bleak picture lol! Good point though!

This conversation came up a lot on Journey. And Flower. And flOw...

I have two responses: 1) I see the term "video game" generally broadening in its scope. A widening umbrella to encompass a vast array of types of experiences and interactions. I much prefer retaining that name than making "video games" a subset of "interactive media."

and 2) Games of minimal "activities" (lacking or with few traditional game mechanics like puzzle solving or shooting or crafting, etc etc etc) are still very enjoyable in the way that sometimes I go to a museum to see the exhibits, and sometimes I go to simply be in the space. The environment itself is evocative enough that the feeling of being there is all the interaction I aspire to.

I'm not trying to suggest ABZU is #2. But that is my case for why games which are purely #2 (I would use Everybody's Gone to the Rapture as at least a near-example of #2) are still very much are games.

Very well said!

I enjoy a game because it's enjoyable; I don't need a constant fear of failure to continue playing it.

I'm there for the experience of it.

Have this game pre ordered. Can't wait. Has there been any indication of the game length. I'm guessing its Journey/Flower length. Witch would be a-ok for me. Just planning out my game playing schedule

Have this game pre ordered. Can't wait. Has there been any indication of the game length. I'm guessing its Journey/Flower length. Witch would be a-ok for me. Just planning out my game playing schedule

Yeah, it's supposed to be around the same length as Journey.

Mine already installed this afternoon.

So I'm all pre-loaded, which is cool. My pre-order theme also downloaded, but I can't set the theme until the game unlocks! That's pretty stupid.

Mdk7

Without spoiling specifics,
are there menacing, large, predatory prehistoric things down in the depths? I really want to be surprised by what types - but I noticed by Googling the Latin names from the soundtrack, it reveals non-threatening creatures like Ichthyosaurus, etc. I just want to see large, predatory prehistoric creatures in the game. Please don't spoil the different types, just let me know if there are any lol!

Still wanna know the answer?

Matt Frost

Finished Song of the Deep in time for ABZÛ (didnt rush it, completed 100%, my score: 9/10). Two very different gameplay-wise underwater games one after the other, perfect for the summer. Now to wait until midnight to play ABZÛ. Cant wait!!

V3rt1go

Finished the game and all I can say is that it kinda feels like Journey 2, but I think I liked ABZÛ more.

All I want now is to buy the glorious Austin Wintory OST!

Scanna

Hey guys, do you think this might work decently on a i5 Surface pro 4, 8 gb ram?
I'm really not that into PC gaming, so I wouldn't know :D

Raven77

Although I agree that creating tension through oxygen gauges, etc. would not be the feeling they were going for...part of my can't help wishing that it had a survival mode option or something.

The thing is, their are NOT many games of this type, ocean exploration, etc. So when one comes along, I guess I kind of wish it just did it all because God knows when we'll get another one.

Finished the game and all I can say is that it kinda feels like Journey 2, but I think I liked ABZÛ more.

All I want now is to buy the glorious Austin Wintory OST!

XZ5hq2L.gif

Top Bottom