• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Sure, have a friend or coworker either get killed or need to be defended, but when they're always on the scene of the crime as it happens the line between being a lawyer, detective or victim/participant becomes far too blurred.

But they were always kind of detective games at its core. Hell, even many lawyer related works of fiction can devolve in Detective stuff.

FluxWaveZ

I don't get the first case:

Why was Junie in the court in the first place? Was she just a spectator? Where did Ted disarm the bomb? Against whom was the original case before the explosion?

She explicitly says that she was there to
root for Apollo.

The rest isn't something that I though particularly mattered, but they'll be answered anyways.

Phatmac

Currently finished Case 3 which was spectacular. I have a question about the jurist system that was in Ace Attorney 4, what ever happened to it? I'm surprised that I haven't hear about it yet.

Are there any persons who are indifferent to the game?

I remember AA1 which i played on my phone. I liked the characters and the cases were always quite interesting. Never finished it though.

I recently started AA5 due to my megaten/fire emblem credit and thought why the hell not.

The first case was totally boring as the solution was given away in the intro. The second case so far is also quite boring and I don't know why.

However, what's bugging me the most are the characters. They are all goofy in some way and unrelatable. Plus, they all have totally irritating animations they constantly repeat after 2 textboxes. This was a huge surprise as I found the characters in aa1 very cool and relatable...but aa5 really overdoes it with its comic relief-like characters.

Tldr: will the game get significantly more interesting?

Leezard

Are there any persons who are indifferent to the game?

I remember AA1 which i played on my phone. I liked the characters and the cases were always quite interesting. Never finished it though.

I recently started AA5 due to my megaten/fire emblem credit and thought why the hell not.

The first case was totally boring as the solution was given away in the intro. The second case so far is also quite boring and I don't know why.

However, what's bugging me the most are the characters. They are all goofy in some way and unrelatable. Plus, they all have totally irritating animations they constantly repeat after 2 textboxes. This was a huge surprise as I found the characters in aa1 very cool and relatable...but aa5 really overdoes it with its comic relief-like characters.

Tldr: will the game get significantly more interesting?

Yes, the games typically get better in the end. This game has a weak case 2. If you haven't finished AA1 yet I strongly recommend finishing it first though. The repeating animations is a staple of the franchise and it is prevalent in all games.

Case 2 has some of the most unlikable, irritating characters in the history of video games. L'Belle, Filch, and Jinxie can all go die in a fire.

Thanks you two, I will just finish case 2 as quickly as possible then.

And YES please kill Jinxie. I loathe her throwing this talisman thing at you ALL THE TIME.

Just finished it. Took me quite a while. Bought it at launch, but never really got so into the game where I would binge through it like I did with earlier entries in the series.
That said, I still think it's a pretty great game. It had one shitty case (which is kind of a tradition for the series) and was maybe a little too long for its own good, but overall I had a good time and think they reversed the trend of AA games getting progressively worse.

AA3 > AA1 > AA5 > AA2 > AA4 > AAI

nynt9

I still don't get why they started case 2 with
showing the villain. Ruined the entire case for me.

Since the way the crime is committed is so ridiculous and elaborate that knowing who did it doesn't matter, it's all about how it was done.

tmarques

Since the way the crime is committed is so ridiculous and elaborate that knowing who did it doesn't matter, it's all about how it was done.

Case 3 was also pretty obvious from the start. The most interesting thing about case 5 is that
the culprit is not one of the witnesses.

I didn't realise the DLC case took place before the main ones. Halfway through it and wish someone had told me to play it before cases 4/5.

I did hate the circus case. And the one before it with the channeling. I think AA2 soured me a little, the first case seemed really interesting then the cases sort of got majorly ridiculous.

I'm almost done with the game, just started case 5. It's been amazing so far (although a bit easy compared to the previous games), and I think I have an idea about who's behind case 4/5.
CASE 5 CULPRIT PREDICTION:
I'm thinking it will be Fulbright. The other characters that are currently introduced don't make sense to me and it seems a bit late to introduce someone new. Fulbright was present at the crimescene during the murder on Clay and he was also in court when the bombing happened. It would also be easy for him to tamper with evidence I guess, and I found it hard to believe he wouldn't have looked at the fingerprint results on that lighter... The only thing I can't think of is a motive, but that could be explained later I guess. Although I think I'm right about this, deep down I hope I'm not, since I like Fulbright and would love for him to return in a sequel.

I've just started the second trial day on Case 3, but I really don't understand how
Junie and her friends are the only possible suspects. Just because the festival was going on, no one in the rest of the student body/staff had an opportunity to sneak away?

DaBoss

I'm almost done with the game, just started case 5. It's been amazing so far (although a bit easy compared to the previous games), and I think I have an idea about who's behind case 4/5.
I'm thinking it will be Fulbright. The other characters that are currently introduced don't make sense to me and it seems a bit late to introduce someone new. Fulbright was present at the crimescene during the murder on Clay and he was also in court when the bombing happened. It would also be easy for him to tamper with evidence I guess, and I found it hard to believe he wouldn't have looked at the fingerprint results on that lighter... The only thing I can't think of is a motive, but that could be explained later I guess. Although I think I'm right about this, deep down I hope I'm not, since I like Fulbright and would love for him to return in a sequel.
How could you do that man....
You betrayed Justice. :(

jaxword

You should stop playing right now and do the DLC case first before tackling Case 5.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I can't

Anyone who does is off their rocker. Any case that penalizes you for pressing the witness, and introduces 75% life penalties (yay save scumming) is shit in my eyes.
Oh god, I knew there was something that made me dislike that case, & it was the fact pressing certain statements took away your life. So glad that never happened again. I think that case made me abuse the save system from the rest of the series.

Also disappointed that Apollo's bracelet is still absolutely awful. Let me skip to the part of the testimony I actually need instead of watching it scroll slowly through the words 5 times because I didn't have the circle hovering over the right body part.

Rhapsody

Banned
Due to school stressing me out, had to take a little hiatus on the last case until the quarter was over. Finished it today, and loved it. The most recent AA I replayed before this was AA1 just before AA5's release. Fresh from a nostalgic game for me, I really loved how 5 turned out.

Really difficult to rank each game as a whole compared to individual cases. This series is just too good.
For AA5, I actually enjoyed every case in this. Even the weaker cases in this game had some really cool moments and twists.

2 cases in and I enjoyed both of them. The
girl who keeps plastering you with charms is annoying
but other than that I found most of the characters to be humorous in a good way.
The mayor and his silly possessed act made me laugh in particular and the guy who can't help but steal shit
This is my first AA game. Should I seek out the DS games to play? I assume the answer is a Yes....

2 cases in and I enjoyed both of them. The
girl who keeps plastering you with charms is annoying
but other than that I found most of the characters to be humorous in a good way.
The mayor and his silly possessed act made me laugh in particular and the guy who can't help but steal shit
This is my first AA game. Should I seek out the DS games to play? I assume the answer is a Yes....

Yes, go play the DS games.

Downhome

There is an auction on eBay right now for the first four DS games that I was bidding on. I had to put the brakes on because nuts were bidding it up so high against me that it's now up to $66+$4 shipping. You can go on Amazon and buy all four of them brand new individually for like $76 or so total.

It looks like that's what I'm going to be doing now.

hell, i miss phoenix wright! :) ...

completed the third case, & i'm very disappointed in the series' overall change in tone from mania to melodrama. i loved the whacked/frantic nature of the original trilogy. yeah, it could occasionally get a bit syrupy, but the primary emphasis was always on sheer lunacy. this game (so far, anyway), not so much. i'm finding most of the characters to be very weak (the detective, the prosecutor, & the mind-bogglingly vapid case 3 client in particular), the humor to be much more orchestrated shtick than out-of-left-field crazed, & the cases themselves, tho sometimes cleverly staged, still very easy to solve...

just not for me, & i will refrain from saying any more. other than, yeah, a bit more fan service, & a few more familiar faces, would've been greatly appreciated...

ps: how could i forget - the music. it almost redefines 'bland'. the arrangements are just so lifeless. what've they done?...

okay: i'm on the final day of the extra case (having completed the regular game), &, yeah, the last 2 cases, plus this extra one, have completely redeemed the game for me - very clever, & very excellent. particularly the extra case - no frills, no melodrama, just a wacky premise, a great mix of characters, & lots of phoenix wright style, 4th-wall breaking asides. a serious throwback to what made the original trilogy work for me, &, despite what came before, it's ended up really making the trip worth it...

very happy i stuck it out...

mutsu

I put the game aside after finishing the main game a few months ago. Finally last week I was able to start and finish the extra case in one sitting. I am glad I did. It was well worth the extra little bit of money. It was probably better than all of the cases in the main game (except probably the last one). The cast of characters are interesting (love the rap!), story is nice and moderately long and deep. Overall very satisfied and really longing for more!

Downhome

My God, the auction I was taking part in ended at over $112! Why would people do that instead of just buy them new at Amazon for around $75 for then all new???

mutsu

My God, the auction I was taking part in ended at over $112! Why would people do that instead of just buy them new at Amazon for around $75 for then all new???

The insanity of eBay.

Wait till the buyer doesn't pay and doesn't honor the auction.

Finally got my JP copy from Play-Asia, only took one month and a week to get here, but at least it's here :D
I'll do the very beginning tonight between 2 sessions of Bravely Default.

edit: oh, the special case is 50% off for a limited time on the eShop, I got it too then.

Top Bottom