• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Downhome

I just downloaded the main game and there is no main menu to go to at title screen or in game, just start game. Must need to beat first case after all, blah.

I just downloaded the main game and there is no main menu to go to at title screen or in game, just start game. Must need to beat first case after all, blah.

Oh no, you just need to start the first case then, save and return to title. It'll then appear, right below "start from chapter" and "continue"

graywords

So finally getting to play through AA5, and this happened today:

AA5_case5.jpg

I admit to waiting a few extra minutes for my computer time to catch up, but I was amused anyway. (That's not hard for me, though.)

AA5_case5.jpg

I admit to waiting a few extra minutes for my computer time to catch up, but I was amused anyway. (That's not hard for me, though.)
This case is happening right now. Phoenix is actually in court sweating buckets as we speak.

AA5_case5.jpg

Hehehe I had the same thing playing AA1 over the summer. I forget which case, but the date lined up perfectly, and I played each part only on the day it occurred. It was pretty fun! XD

XPE

Finnished the dlc case, one made for the fans i think sorry zelda but pheonix is my portable game of the year

Does anybody else feel like the DLC case was really case 2 and Capcom just ripped it out to be a DLC case and to make the five case quota spilt case 5 into two cases?

Firebrand

So, just finished the main story and downloaded the DLC case but have yet to start it.

Quite enjoyed the game overall. I was a bit skeptical about the 3D graphics when I first saw the screenshots, but they really pulled it off, black outlines and all, sometimes it was hard to tell if it was a sprite or a polygonal model. (mild case 5 spoiler)
Yuri Cosmos
in particular was really well done. Phoenix looked a bit weird perhaps, but I got used to it.

The game has one huge flaw though, and it's one that it shares with Ace Attorney Investigations: the game treats you like an idiot and rarely lets you figure out things for yourself. Now, it's expected that the difficulty drops a bit after playing a few of these games as you spot familiar contradictions quickly, but even if I didn't they really liked to drop hints before you even got a chance to present evidence. I was literally shaking my head in case 5 when they actually TOLD you about the (case 5 spoilers!)
numbers on the floor
. Gee, I get to point it out on the photo, gold star for me. So yeah, that kinda ruined my enjoyment of the game on and off and for that reason I'm not sure I'd rank it higher than second least favorite in the series for me.

And oh, the anime cutscenes were really corny and terrible, but eh, whatever.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Alright, I think I'm finally going to get around to the DLC case today.

I usually don't bother with post-game DLC because by the time it comes out, I'm basically just done with the game... but shit. AA5 was so good that I don't really have a choice.

NeonZ

I'm really not feeling the DLC case. The case seems nice and all, but I guess I'd care about it more if it were some random case after the last one, rather than 2.5. Something its placement just makes me not care about how the story will turn out at all.

Just finished the Dlc case ... this was pretty good.

Now this is painfully obvious this case was part of the game and go cut.

I don't regret my purchase that much

PW5 as a whole was a great adventure but now that i've played this one i almost have no interest in the layton cross over.

rekameohs

Banned
Seriously? I thought I read somewhere that it had a limited sale or something.
Japan had a sale when it was released but no one else. Everyone had a limited time offer on the other DLC, the costume pack, where it was free for a couple of weeks, but that deal's long since over.

PikaED

There is an auction on eBay right now for the first four DS games that I was bidding on. I had to put the brakes on because nuts were bidding it up so high against me that it's now up to $66+$4 shipping. You can go on Amazon and buy all four of them brand new individually for like $76 or so total.

It looks like that's what I'm going to be doing now.

You could also get the WiiWare ports of the the First 3 for ($30) 3000 wii points [+100 points for The 5th case in the first game].
...Or the iOS port for about $17
[Don't get the iOS port]

Bardiche

Just finished the DLC case.
Orla
is one of the cutest witnesses to cross-examine.

In terms of rankings:
AA3> AA1> AAI> AA4> AA5> AA2

I wonder if we're going to get more DLC. Can never get enough of Feeney,
I don't think we'll get anymore cases, but they could still localize the quiz sidestory. It's not nearly as entrenched in Japanese culture as Capcom USA has claimed. (Read: Almost none.) It could quite easily be localized.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Finished the DLC case. I really, really liked it. And I was surprised by how long it was -- I was expecting some shitty, hour-long case that felt phoned in, but it was pretty lengthy.

I would definitely not mind getting another DLC case down the road.

Mendoza

Case 2 has some of the most unlikable, irritating characters in the history of video games. L'Belle, Filch, and Jinxie can all go die in a fire.

They still aren't as bad as the Clown, the Ventriloquist, and that stupid old lady with the laser gun from AA2.

Edit: Also just finished Case 3, and so far the game is pretty good. It gets a little hand holdy when it comes to flashbacks and Cross-examinations. I hate the idea of difficulty modes, but this game would have benefited from it because the highest highs the player gets from the AA experience is figuring out the right evidence on their own. Even though you know the answer before the game tells you, it takes the wind out of your sails slightly.

Also, Case 2 wasn't too bad, but showing the killer in the first minutes of the case was anti-climatic to the over all pacing of the story.

I might be the only person here who doesn't like Fulbright. I think Blackquill is rad though.

daydream

Banned
Also, Case 2 wasn't too bad, but showing the killer in the first minutes of the case was anti-climatic to the over all pacing of the story.

I disagree. It would have been painfully obvious even if they hadn't shown him, so much so that you would have been disappointed when it would turn out that it was indeed him, with no twist to speak of. THAT would have been anticlimactic.

Showing the killer, Columbo-style, but then making everything surrounding the deed ridiculously complicated, was smart (and it's not the first time they do this, obviously).

Mendoza

I disagree. It would have been painfully obvious even if they hadn't shown him, so much so that you would have been disappointed when it would turn out that it was indeed him, with no twist to speak of. THAT would have been anticlimactic.

Showing the killer, Columbo-style, but then making everything surrounding the deed ridiculously complicated, was smart (and it's not the first time they do this, obviously).

I agree with everything you said just now. :D

DaBoss

Case 2 was about the "journey" (how the crime was done) since the whole beginning, you know someone else did it, but how the hell are you going to prove that someone else killed the alderman when witnesses and the scene makes it seem difficult.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Downloaded this on Friday and just finished up. I really enjoyed it overall.

I didn't care too much for the anime cutscenes (just didn't feel like they added too much), didn't care for some of the voice acting
Klavier, why? :p
, and there were text issues. The typos didn't bother me much, but there were instances where I didn't have any text displayed at all, and often the conversation log also was filled with blanks. I also didn't find the twist in regards to the final culprit to be very surprising at all
with all the talk about forged evidence, I immediately suspected Fulbright when he said he was going to find the perfect piece of evidence, but that's not really an issue with the game I guess, just rambling

The models were all fantastic though, and the music was great too. I liked the rotating leads in the cases, as they did a good job of developing Apollo and Athena, the latter of which I thought was a great addition to the cast. There weren't really any characters or cases that I found to be annoying either.

Overall I think I'm comfortable with ranking it right under 3 as my second favorite. I haven't played the DLC case yet, but I'm really looking forward to it :)

jaxword

I disagree. Showing the killer ruined all of the suspense, especially as they tried to make you believe something you already know is 100% false, like the father confessing or acting insane.

The entire case could have been better done if they didn't want the perp to be obvious.

daydream

Banned
I disagree. Showing the killer ruined all of the suspense, especially as they tried to make you believe something you already know is 100% false, like the father confessing or acting insane.

The entire case could have been better done if they didn't want the perp to be obvious.

What makes you think that they wanted you to believe the father? I don't remember Apollo doubting his client's innocence, but since he and Athena didn't get to watch the opening cinematic, they're naturally confused.

I'm not saying it's the perfect case, but saying that "showing the killer" ruins everything and that's that, doesn't do it justice.

The whole thing felt very much like a nod to Columbo, I have to say, considering the haughtiness of L'Belle and the elaborate setup.

jaxword

Showing the killer added nothing to the narrative.

The entire time, every single twist and turn, felt hollow since it always was "Yeah, but we know who the perp is. So this is pointless."

There was no mystery or drama.

daydream

Banned
Showing the killer added nothing to the narrative.

The entire time, every single twist and turn, felt hollow since it always was "Yeah, but we know who the perp is. So this is pointless."

There was no mystery or drama.

Yes, Apollo should have shouted "Arrest this scoundrel!" from the get go and be done with it.

We clearly have different views on what is important or possible in crime fiction, so let's leave it at that. For me, they provided a good mystery in the way the murder was committed.

Top Bottom