• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

So hey guys,

I've played the mainline AA games (1-3, Apollo) and I actually just bought new copies of the first 3 because I'd only played friends copies before. I'm doing a re-runthrough of these four games again in preparation for AA5. I downed AA1 over a couple days and I'm on the third case of AA2 now.

Big question: Do I need to play Investigations before AA5? It's the only one I don't have a copy of, and I was holding off because I heard it wasn't very good.

GSR

So hey guys,

I've played the mainline AA games (1-3, Apollo) and I actually just bought new copies of the first 3 because I'd only played friends copies before. I'm doing a re-runthrough of these four games again in preparation for AA5. I downed AA1 over a couple days and I'm on the third case of AA2 now.

Big question: Do I need to play Investigations before AA5? It's the only one I don't have a copy of, and I was holding off because I heard it wasn't very good.

Simply put: no, Investigations isn't at all required for AA5. The AAI games have the least presence of any of the series in AA5, I'd say.

There are a few thematic beats from AAI2 that I can see echoed in AA5, but seriously nothing required.

Everybody loves AA2 case 4, but I really don't get what's special about it. Just finished my 3rd playthrough of the game last week, and while that case was better than I remember it just doesn't have the suspense or twists that separates the good cases from the great ones. The 'real villain' can be seen from a mile away, and the 'impending threat' presented to you is irrelevant as the person whom it is imposed on has the 2nd biggest plot-shield next to Wright himself. The only standout thing about the case is the
Return of Edgeworth

My order for AA2 is 2 >>> 4 >=3 > 1
Case 2 is probably my favorite case in the entire series.

For overall series ranking: 3 = 1 > 2 > 4 >> AAI

Korigama

AA1 = T&T > AAI (drawn out final case aside) > JFA (garbage third case aside) > AJ

I would recommend playing all of the other ones that have been localized before AA5 either way. But yeah, the third case in JFA was bad enough for me to rank it lower than I would've otherwise.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Got my funds ready too! All I need now is time to sit down and play the game!

Edit: I bought my 3DS almost a year ago for anticipation of this game as well!

You didn't like case 1, 4, 5? I just loved how they revolved around each other and wrapped up the trilogy nicely. Also, Godot.

That's exactly why I didn't like it. Cases were always pretty distinct with some minor connections, but out of 5, 3 were directly connected to create a sort of story arc which I felt dragged on. I like how it ended, but I didn't like how it was paced.

Simply put: no, Investigations isn't at all required for AA5. The AAI games have the least presence of any of the series in AA5, I'd say.

There are a few thematic beats from AAI2 that I can see echoed in AA5, but seriously nothing required.

Muy bueno.

I was really hoping to not have to buy that, since I just spent $60 getting copies of AA1-3 and Ghost Trick.

Vibranium

Banned
The Dual Destinies official thread gets the only title it needed, no objections here. I've got my money on the eshop ready to go, can't wait to enter the courtroom again next week! I'm totally getting the DLC case too because of more Phoenix. Take That!

Leeness

I want to make an admission.

I got a law degree because of Phoenix Wright.

I work in a law office now, mostly because of Phoenix Wright. :D

Metal_Man, you didn't like AAI and think AA5 has greatly improved on that team's writing? That makes me really happy. :)

Everybody loves AA2 case 4, but I really don't get what's special about it. Just finished my 3rd playthrough of the game last week, and while that case was better than I remember it just doesn't have the suspense or twists that separates the good cases from the great ones. The 'real villain' can be seen from a mile away, and the 'impending threat' presented to you is irrelevant as the person whom it is imposed on has the 2nd biggest plot-shield next to Wright himself. The only standout thing about the case is the
Return of Edgeworth

My order for AA2 is 2 >>> 4 >=3 > 1
Case 2 is probably my favorite case in the entire series.

For overall series ranking: 3 = 1 > 2 > 4 >> AAI

It's been so long since I played it, that I have a hard time remembering exactly why I liked it so much. I just remember it being the most physically suspenseful case for me, as
you know that Maya's life depends directly and immediately on what's happening in the case. Top that off with the Dual Takedown with Edgeworth, and it was just so much fun for me. It also the first that actually explored the issue a bit of defending someone who ISN'T innocent.

I only ever played it once, so perhaps it doesn't stand up to future playthroughs. I just loved it a lot my first time through.

I didn't really wanna go with digital only, but with the lowered price in EU and the amazing demo I'll bite. Though I'm afraid to have a game of the ,,quality'' of AA4 at the end of the day and no options to get my money back...
The production values and care that went into it seem amazing, although with some underwhelming story and characters like in AJ they won't get anywhere in this genre. But with what I've seen for now it might as well become the first great game in the series since AA1.

1>AJ>2>AAI>3

I am the only person in the world that doesn't like 3.

3 could have had an amazing ending but was ultimately ruined by the
ghostbusters
finale. Easily the worst parts of the entire series since the begining, but I couldn't take it anymore in 3. So cringeworthy when it completely took over. Would have been perfect without it though.
Also, JFA was good because of the circus chapter. Probably the only standalone one I can remember from all games. No idea what the fuss is about at chapter 4 though...

daydream

Banned
I think they're all amazing (minor spoilers abound).

AA1 started it all, with some solid cases and a breathtaking finale. Right out of the gate they established the ambivalent relationship between defence and prosecution which is probably the central motif of the series.
AA2 gave us Franzi and, again, a thrilling ending. I thought the circus case was quite alright, actually (everyone seems to hate that one).
AA3 showed young Phoenix, we got Godot's theme and probably the most cinematic final case of all the games, for better or worse.
AA4, first and foremost, had a great atmosphere, I thought, very melancholic. The final case emphasized this the most. The concert case is one of the best in the series, even though Klavier is maybe the weakest prosecutor. Retired Phoenix makes up for that.
AAI features Edgeworth as the protagonist. Really didn't take much more than that for me to love this one as well. The whole mystery surrounding the Great Thief was really well done. The focus on investigation gave us some neat spritework. The biggest tragedy of this gen is that we never got AAI2. No LOGIC in that one, Capcom!

Not to mention the soundtracks (and the orchestral/jazz arrangements) that have been consistently excellent.

vctor182

defense+is+ready.jpg

Can someone change this so it says "My body is ready, Your Honor."?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Aww yiss.

I don't even know how I would rank the games, I typically take them as one whole instead of them being seperate. Case 4 in JFA is still my favorite single one in the entire series though, even if it's attached to the weakest entry.

Yazus

I'm getting a 3DS for this game, no kidding. Not really interested in anything else but I think I'll grab M&L 3DS and Paper Mario, also smash bros when it's released. Fuck Nintendo I'm always getting your damn portables every time

It's been so long since I played it, that I have a hard time remembering exactly why I liked it so much. I just remember it being the most physically suspenseful case for me, as
you know that Maya's life depends directly and immediately on what's happening in the case. Top that off with the Dual Takedown with Edgeworth, and it was just so much fun for me. It also the first that actually explored the issue a bit of defending someone who ISN'T innocent.

I only ever played it once, so perhaps it doesn't stand up to future playthroughs. I just loved it a lot my first time through.

That's the thing though,
I was never able to suspend belief that Maya was in any real danger since she's so crucial to the game
. Maybe that's on me, but it directly impacted my playthrough of that case. I'm also a might be a bit biased against it, because I think I got stuck somewhere the investigation phase the 1st time through and that's never fun. Wasn't much of a fan of the villains for that case, but Adrian was a good addition to the series. Kind of hoping that she or Iris makes an appearance in this next game.

Just realised a few days ago this was coming so soon!
I started replaying the series, doing a case a day and planning to segue straight into this. Thanks to the 3DS Activity Log I've been tracking how long each case is. I have no idea why but just let me have my fun maaaan

Ace Attorney
Case 1 - 38 minutes
Case 2 - 2 hours 38 minutes
Case 3 - 3 hours 44 minutes
Case 4 - 5 hours 13 minutes
Case 5 - 11 hours 24 minutes

Justice for All
Case 1 - 1 hour 14 minutes

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
That's exactly why I didn't like it. Cases were always pretty distinct with some minor connections, but out of 5, 3 were directly connected to create a sort of story arc which I felt dragged on. I like how it ended, but I didn't like how it was paced.

I can see that happening.

Still, that arc along with what happens with that family in AA1 and AA2 meant we got this awesome medley (warning, some AA3 spoilers in the YT comments):

Gyakuten Saiban Orchestral soundtrack - Kurain Geneology

My favorite track on that album.

AA3 spoilers:

I love how it incorporates Dahlia's and Iris' theme in it

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. It turns most of the norms of the series up to that point on it's head, from
defending someone that's actually guilty, to accusing an innocent witness of murder in a desperate attempt to stall for time; a witness which was severely emotionally damaged, and even had a brief brush with suicide, a theme never really tackled in the series before, and of course, the idea of a prosecutor actually valuing the truth over all else instead of ultimate victory, and of course, the whole kidnapping thing.

Sera O

Banned
Awesome. I've had a credit from that cross promotion waiting to be spent on this and it's actually coming soon.

I'm surprised it's rated M - is it because the presentation has more realism now, or is the game's tone changing?

GSR

Awesome. I've had a credit from that cross promotion waiting to be spent on this and it's actually coming soon.

I'm surprised it's rated M - is it because the presentation has more realism now, or is the game's tone changing?

Mostly just realism. And I'd say there's more blood in this game than most of the past ones. It's not excessively gory though.

That's the thing though,
I was never able to suspend belief that Maya was in any real danger since she's so crucial to the game
. Maybe that's on me, but it directly impacted my playthrough of that case. I'm also a might be a bit biased against it, because I think I got stuck somewhere the investigation phase the 1st time through and that's never fun. Wasn't much of a fan of the villains for that case, but Adrian was a good addition to the series. Kind of hoping that she or Iris makes an appearance in this next game.

The spoiler tags in your last two posts have been broken. =)

Anyway, yeah, I could see how the case wouldn't be as good
if you weren't able to suspend disbelief for the Maya episode.
I still loved it, but can respect that opinion.

I bought a 3DS for this game.

Then it was announced as digital only.

If I didn't have the 30$ credit from SMT IV, this wasn't getting touched. That's how bad eShop is. It overcompensates the awesomeness of AA. :p

Dunno. I sure as hell don't have a job because of Phoenix Wright :p

You should've just went for the hairdo!

Sera O

Banned
Mostly just realism. And I'd say there's more blood in this game than most of the past ones. It's not excessively gory though.

Thanks, thought that might be the case. Though there's always been murder in previous games I remember thinking it was pretty blood-free, considering.

spiritfox

Man October has been crazy. First EO, then Pokemon, now Ace Attorney! 3 of my favorite franchises all at the same time! So looking forward to finally play this game.

This is coming to the US? Ooooh shit.

I only played 1-3. I know these are really story based. What other ones do I need to play before I play this?

So I downloaded the demo and haven't played it just yet. I know I'll enjoy this game though. It'll be my FIRST Ace Attorney game.

Do I need to play the others BEFORE playing this though? Is it one continuous story?

Korigama

So I downloaded the demo and haven't played it just yet. I know I'll enjoy this game though. It'll be my FIRST Ace Attorney game.

Do I need to play the others BEFORE playing this though? Is it one continuous story?
You could theoretically start with this, but you would be missing out on a lot if you don't since it is indeed one continuous story.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

It is indeed one continuous story. Highly recommended to play them in order.

All i have to say is that you'll enjoy it a LOT more if you played the past games, it is sort of continuous.

Top Bottom