• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

Playing through Ace Attorney 123HD, it's pretty clear that all of the bad-looking art is pretty much confined to characters in the very first case of the very first game. I'm pretty sure that was a vertical slice for the original and the actual hand-drawn art wasn't as high quality. Everything else looks pretty stellar, but that's why Phoenix and Larry Butz (especially Larry, goddamn) look much less good than most of the other characters for all three games.

Playing through Ace Attorney 123HD, it's pretty clear that all of the bad-looking art is pretty much confined to characters in the very first case of the very first game. I'm pretty sure that was a vertical slice for the original and the actual hand-drawn art wasn't as high quality. Everything else looks pretty stellar, but that's why Phoenix and Larry Butz (especially Larry, goddamn) look much less good than most of the other characters for all three games.

von Karma looked pretty off to me, too.

Besides, the art is the least of this game's problems. At least that kind of thing is subjective from person to person. There are a lot of other things about this game that are completely inferior to the other versions.

Omikaru

How the fuck do we still not have a release date?

Capcom is the worst.

One day in October:
"For reasons we cannot talk about, the game has been delayed until November."

December 1st:
"As you probably know, Ace Attorney: Dual Destines is not out. If we don't have a release date in the next week or so, don't expect it until 2014.

Radio silence for months.

One day next April:
"Hey guys, good news! We're releasing the game tomorrow, with no marketing or prior warning. Be sure to tell your friends all about it, because we're not!"

And then when they don't localise the next AA game:
"If the series was so popular, why didn't these 'fans' buy the last one?"

Frolow

Banned
Just beat Turnabout Beginnings.

My initial reaction:
"That guy looks like Godot. That couldn't be him it, could it? On second thought, that's definitely him. I guess that partly explains his backstory, although I still don't get why he has it out for Wright
And hey, it's Dahlie. I guess this is the case that Mia mentioned awhile ago. But why is Dahlie under a different name? And that reminds me, what was Godot's name again? Diego Armando? Hold on, isn't that the same name as the guy Dahlie poisoned?...HOLY SHIT."

GSR

May I ask something about the first case of AJ...

Wright really forged the bloody card?

Pretty much. I've heard it suggested that Trucy did the actual forgery, but it's pretty clear Phoenix was the one who had it done.

But given the situation, there wasn't much else he could do to catch
Kristoph.

Qurupeke

Pretty much. I've heard it suggested that Trucy did the actual forgery, but it's pretty clear Phoenix was the one who had it done.

But given the situation, there wasn't much else he could do to catch
Kristoph.
Yes, I understand the reason, but this felt really weird. And kind of sad. :/

Cody_D165

Banned
One day in October:
"For reasons we cannot talk about, the game has been delayed until November."

December 1st:
"As you probably know, Ace Attorney: Dual Destines is not out. If we don't have a release date in the next week or so, don't expect it until 2014.

Radio silence for months.

One day next April:
"Hey guys, good news! We're releasing the game tomorrow, with no marketing or prior warning. Be sure to tell your friends all about it, because we're not!"

And then when they don't localise the next AA game:
"If the series was so popular, why didn't these 'fans' buy the last one?"

Sounds about right >_>

I wouldn't say it's "amazing" but it's definitely worth playing.

yeah I just completed the first episode. No courtroom sucks so im gonna miss udgey but it was otherwise good to see maggey and gumshoe back after them not being in AA4
well i think gumshoe was in the last case in AJ with one testimony but thats it

Javier

Not sure if it's okay to link to it, but the first version of the English patch for Ace Attorney Investigations 2 has been released to the public. I haven't tried it yet, but it has Cases 1 and 2 translated.

CorvoSol

Just finished AA2 for the umpteenth time last night. That game is the worst in the trilogy, but I'll be damned if the final case doesn't hold water on its own. If only I hadn't had to trudge through that stupid Max Galactica case.

My only disappointment is that there is little to no chance for a physical release? I know it's been said and done, but I'm still a little hurt that I won't be able to keep the game case on a shelf with the rest of my 3DS Library (except Brain Age).

Oh well, I have ~12 days to enjoy Pokémon before I resist the urge to jump into AA5 without playing AJ. Not to mention that I need to get on finishing AA2 and 3. I just started 2-3, which doesn't seem too bad; except for the fact that it's a bit of a pain to go through, knowing that 2-4 and 3 is infinitely better overall.
Thankfully I've had a good month or two of a break, so I'm not burned out on the series anymore! :)

My only disappointment is that there is little to no chance for a physical release? I know it's been said and done, but I'm still a little hurt that I won't be able to keep the game case on a shelf with the rest of my 3DS Library (except Brain Age).

Oh well, I have ~12 days to enjoy Pokémon before I resist the urge to jump into AA5 without playing AJ. Not to mention that I need to get on finishing AA2 and 3. I just started 2-3, which doesn't seem too bad; except for the fact that it's a bit of a pain to go through, knowing that 2-4 and 3 is infinitely better overall.
Thankfully I've had a good month or two of a break, so I'm not burned out on the series anymore! :)

I'm considering waiting for Capcom to ducktales this and make a physical release

don't know how long I can wait tho

Lusankya

I'm considering waiting for Capcom to ducktales this and make a physical release

don't know how long I can wait tho

Waiting won't help, though. If there aren't enough people who buy it from the eShop then Capcom will just think of AA5 as a flop and surely will do everything but releasing it as a retail version.

Tom_Cody

I'm planning to pick up Ace Attorney Trilogy. Question: I never played the final case in Justice for All, is it possible to select individual cases right off the bat or do I need to play through them in sequence?

CorvoSol

Playing the Mask*DeMasque case
Godot: "Did you do it?" Ron: "Yes."

Laughed so hard. Godot's so smooth. I'd love for him to come back, but then again,
I don't even know if Maya's coming back.

AAI is living up to my expectations so far. I'm at the third case but I've slowed down alot since I'm in the middle of Yakuza 3

its not better than AA3(then again nothing will probably ever be) but its better than the rest of the first four games tbh

No courtrooms still sucks tho
Your will is stronger than mine. I'ma get this day one.

Waiting won't help, though. If there aren't enough people who buy it from the eShop then Capcom will just think of AA5 as a flop and surely will do everything but releasing it as a retail version.
I know but mannnnnn I really want a physical copy to look nice next to my game cases of the other games

also no accounts on eshop so yeah. man this is tough :(

DaBoss

Everyone should read this. There aren't spoilers as it only talks about Phoenix, Athena, and Simon. It is the art director of AA5, Takuro Fuse, talking about the design of the new characters and the transition from 2D to 3D. It also shows some initial concept art.

The most interesting thing is the image showing what Phoenix initially looked like in the early stages of the game.

IXLQWcz.jpg

Oh yeah, they talked about that in the JP Dev Blog. Interesting stuff.

Good to see that MT Framework Mobile engine's still being put to good use with AA5.

FluxWaveZ

Interesting read. I like how the art director is harsh on himself about his designs before the final versions.

Not sure why we'd only be shown a silhouette of Athena Cykes' earlier design and not the whole thing unless it actually appears in the game at some point or that he's just so humiliated about what it consisted of.

The silhouette looks like it has alien ears. I would be embarrassed of that design, too.

Final image looks waaaaay better, IMO.

Seriously. It's such a substantial improvement. That first design really looks wonky to me.

Interesting read. I like how the art director is harsh on himself about his designs before the final versions.

Not sure why we'd only be shown a silhouette of Athena Cykes' earlier design and not the whole thing unless it actually appears in the game at some point or that he's just so humiliated about what it consisted of.

Looked up some of the concept art on the Wiki, and her initial design was quite nice. Design 2 was that buggy alien thing... Kinda strange, but still cool. XD

Design 3 and Design 4 were also pretty cool. I kinda wish 1 or 4 were actually used, but what we got was cool.

NOTE OF CAUTION: I'd suggest not browsing any further on the wiki to avoid potential spoilers, don't know if any of these four are spoiler material, but if they are, let me know, and I'll tag them.

Edit: direct linked to photos, rather than to Wiki page photo viewer.

CorvoSol

Playing the Stolen Turnabout and this case is chock full of foreshadowing. Like way more than anything in the first game.

Some examples:
Godot doesn't notice that the ruby in the newspaper article is blue/finds it odd that the one in the blackmail note is red. He says, very quickly, "I'm not so good with colors, myself."
When Maya channels Mia, Godot is stunned into silence. He just stares for like Gant at a swimming pool for like, a good minute. Then he changes tone and complies with Wright's request.
The statue of Ami Fey, the Shichishito, the training hall, and Maya and Pearl frequently mentioning going to visit one in a desolate mountain and the sort.
Mia mentions that Maya has become very concerned about her near future, especially as it relates to their mother.

The third game is so good.

My collection is complete! (except for AAI2)

My copies of Justice for All and Trials and Tribulations came in today. I'm gonna start JFA tonight and I should be done with both of them in time for AA5.

Top Bottom