• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

Good seeing Maya in action again in PLvsPW. Don't know about that voice, though.

Yeah, Maya's voice in Layton/Wright is...not the best.

True it's not. But Phoenix's voice acting in that game is waaayyyy better than his voice acting in DD, in my opinion. Two different guys :O

Man am I alone in thinking Maya's Layton voice is the best "full" voice in the entire series. I think it fits her so well.

I finished PL vs AA last night and what I ride it was. I just finished playing all of the special episodes too. Are they not finished with those yet? I saw a video of one online that I didn't have but when I updated the data I still didn't get it. Must be a Japan only thing. I would have thought they all would have been out by the time the game came out in the US.

Played through that section, Em. The feelings...D:

hokKSpi.png

I'm surprised how much I liked the game given how luke warm it looked when first revealed and how many import impressions I read where kinda like "meh" on it. I didn't think it could stand up to AA5 especially in the graphics department but I was really wrong. Screens just don't do it justice.

I'm surprised how much I liked the game given how luke warm it looked when first revealed and how many import impressions I read where kinda like "meh" on it. I didn't think it could stand up to AA5 especially in the graphics department but I was really wrong. Screens just don't do it justice.

Graphically the game looks pretty good... except for Wright. He just looks lifeless most of the time.
Still, I think it's honestly the AA I liked most since AA3 came out. Seriously great, except for the ending (for which I was prepared, so it really didn't affect my judgement).

braves01

Banned
So I'm working my way through AA3, but I'm also already planning ahead a bit....

It looks like Apollo Justice is a mainline, canon entry in the series. The Edgeworth games appear to be spin-offs. I plan on trying to play through Apollo Justice but skip Edgeworth before tackling DD. Will I miss out on major references by doing this?

daydream

Banned
So I'm working my way through AA3, but I'm also already planning ahead a bit....

It looks like Apollo Justice is a mainline, canon entry in the series. The Edgeworth games appear to be spin-offs. I plan on trying to play through Apollo Justice but skip Edgeworth before tackling DD. Will I miss out on major references by doing this?

Nope. You should definitely come back to AAI, though. Have fun with AJ aka best entry!

No, you don't miss out on anything by skipping AA: Investigations as far as plot threads go. Like you said though, Apollo Justice is a mainline entry, and a plot thread or two from that game are expanded on/revisited in AA5.

Investigations is definitely fun though, so do get around to it whenever you finish Apollo Justice.

FluxWaveZ

If there's one thing I really liked about Apollo Justice, it's that it brought about the first big character evolution in this series. I actually liked what they did to Phoenix Wright, and it was mind-blowing when the game first stated that he had a daughter.

Well, not to say that characters remain static throughout AA. Wright himself has a distinctly different court presence from Ace Attorney to Trials and Tribulations. Laurice Deauxnim changed jobs on a regular basis. But I thought a large time skip was a nice refresh for the series after T&T, and chessmaster Phoenix Wright was a pretty cool dude.

Gestahl

With the Edgeworth games just be aware that the translation for the first is kind of stilted and occasionally laughably inaccurate. The most egregious example is at the end of the prologue where Gumshoe says *minor spoiler*

something's written here, "it's the location of where the thief put the stolen files!"

What's actually said in the Japanese version is more along the lines of
Prosecutor Edgeworth sir! Your room number and "Secure the Evidence" have been written on this card!"

This is actually a major mystery in the game and its reveal is completely fucked up by robbing the player of the context from the very beginning.

With the Edgeworth games just be aware that the translation for the first is kind of stilted and occasionally laughably inaccurate. The most egregious example is at the end of the prologue where Gumshoe says *minor spoiler*

something's written here, "it's the location of where the thief put the stolen files!"

What's actually said in the Japanese version is more along the lines of
Prosecutor Edgeworth sir! Your room number and "Secure the Evidence" have been written on this card!"

This is actually a major mystery in the game and its reveal is completely fucked up by robbing the player of the context from the very beginning.
Huh, I never noticed that. Is this maybe why we didn't receive an official translation for the second one?

daydream

Banned
Am I a bad AA fan for seriously reconsidering if I'm getting the trilogy? Judging from early reports and, well, my eyes, it seems like they don't do the games justice in a lot of ways. And since I own all of them, the only reason I even thought about getting it was to show my support for the franchise.. but on the other hand, it wouldn't be principled. Even though Capcom would totally get the wrong idea if more people skipped it for this reason, haha.

cj_iwakura

Am I a bad AA fan for seriously reconsidering if I'm getting the trilogy? Judging from early reports and, well, my eyes, it seems like they don't do the games justice in a lot of ways. And since I own all of them, the only reason I even thought about getting it was to show my support for the franchise.. but on the other hand, it wouldn't be principled. Even though Capcom would totally get the wrong idea if more people skipped it for this reason, haha.

I see no point in wasting money on games you already own. I'm perfectly happy with my DS copies of the trilogy.

No, you shouldn't feel obligated at all.

Capcom's gonna do whatever anyway, asking for fan support and input is all a farce. It's obvious nothing is done without the approval of the nebulous and out of touch Capcom Japan execs.

daydream

Banned
Thanks for having my back, guys!
lilkay-reach.gif
Hope newcomers will enjoy the trilogy, though.

And yes, I know that animation is originally not Kay celebrating, lol.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
How is this the first time I've ever heard of there being an AA movie based on the first game?

I just feel like I'm made of fail right now.

So is it really good for a movie based off a video game?

spiritfox

It's pretty decent, though Maya feels the complete opposite of her game self.

There's a subtitled version on Youtube if you want to watch it.

How is this the first time I've ever heard of there being an AA movie based on the first game?

I just feel like I'm made of fail right now.

So is it really good for a movie based off a video game?

It was ok, but I don't think the revelations and twists can come across well in a movie format. I didn't have time to let everything sink in and see how all the facts and evidence correlate (despite having played the first game before), I can't imagine how confused a non-fan of the series would be. The
Takumi cameo
near the end of the movie sure put a smile on my face though.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
It's pretty decent, though Maya feels the complete opposite of her game self.

There's a subtitled version on Youtube if you want to watch it.

It was ok, but I don't think the revelations and twists can come across well in a movie format. I didn't have time to let everything sink in and see how all the facts and evidence correlate (despite having played the first game before), I can't imagine how confused a non-fan of the series would be. The
Takumi cameo
near the end of the movie sure put a smile on my face though.

Thanks for the opinions.

Hm, since it's a miracle that it's based on a game and not made of fail, I may go check it out when my break in the year comes up.

I've got a question for you folks. Recently, some of my co-workers have been asking me about Ace Attorney, because I've told them in the past that it's a series of games that I greatly enjoy. These particular co-workers of mine have never played a visual novel game, nor have they heard of the genre. I found myself having a bit of hard time explaining Ace Attorney to them, so I thought to show them a snippet from a game.

Since Dual Destinies has a chapter select, I thought that I should show them something from it. What particular chapter from a case would be a good introduction to the...Ace Attorney experience, for lack of a better term?

I've got a question for you folks. Recently, some of my co-workers have been asking me about Ace Attorney, because I've told them in the past that it's a series of games that I greatly enjoy. These particular co-workers of mine have never played a visual novel game, nor have they heard of the genre. I found myself having a bit of hard time explaining Ace Attorney to them, so I thought to show them a snippet from a game.

Since Dual Destinies has a chapter select, I thought that I should show them something from it. What particular chapter from a case would be a good introduction to the...Ace Attorney experience, for lack of a better term?

The first one.

spiritfox

I would suggest the DLC case, since it's standalone and pretty good.

Playing Layton vs PW now. The music is amazing. The graphics? Less so.

Phoenix looks pretty awful in this. It's crazy how much better AA5's models look.

Top Bottom