• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

Yes, PW vs Layton models look off. It's probably the colors - they don't look as cartoony as the 2D sprites are.

This is what makes me worry for Dai Gyakuten Saiban: both SamuWright and Holmes look like they're straight from this game, so it doesn't look as good as AA5 :(

Can't wait for a proper AA6/AAI3
with megane Edgeworth husbando pls

Groof

Is there any comparisons between AA5 and PWvL Phoenix so we who don't have both games can see the difference?

Playing Layton vs PW now. The music is amazing. The graphics? Less so.

Phoenix looks pretty awful in this. It's crazy how much better AA5's models look.

The soundtrack is awesome!! Ah I loved that game.

I'm also super stoked for the HD trilogy :') now my friends can't get mad at me for re-playing the games and tell me that I have an addiction problem :D!

kurahador

To be fair AA5 is also more static. There's a lot more stuff going on in PLvsPW graphically speaking.

That's true. Though having played both recently, I think I'd preferred PLvsPW more.
The
group
cross-examination and the different animations was awesome.

AA5 graphical style is impressive, but in the end it just emulate what they've done with sprite but longer.
The only time I was impressed with it was during the DLC case.

FluxWaveZ

PLvsPW's models weren't as bad as I had thought they would be going in (they're mostly pretty good, actually), but no way could I say they're better than AA5's. AA5's models were amazing, and I liked that they would emulate the quick and energetic transitions of the sprites that came before.

To be fair AA5 is also more static. There's a lot more stuff going on in PLvsPW graphically speaking.

PLvsPW's models weren't as bad as I had thought they would be going in (they're mostly pretty good, actually), but no way could I say they're better than AA5's. AA5's models were amazing, and I liked that they would emulate the quick and energetic transitions of the sprites that came before.
The other models I've seen so far have been fine, but Phoenix looks really off. Maya is not that great either, but she's passable.

The new characters do look nice. I'm not a fan of the drab color palette though.

Young Magus

Yo there is the blog that I follow called Gyakuten Saiban vs. Ace Attorney (nice blog btw) and I came across something that caught my interest. The blogger is going over case 2-4 when they say this:

Gyakuten Saiban Vs. Ace Attorney said:
You know, the more I read into this case, the more I notice that subtle but distinct difference between Phoenix and Naruhodo, and suddenly, the way he acts in GS4 isn’t that far off the mark.
In fact, in general, Naruhodo is the slier of the two. So, to say that in AJ, Phoenix was rather un-Phoenix-like, it also means to say that in GS4, Naruhodo was just as much of a smartass as he always was.

Is this true for those that played the games in both languages? Did the GS123 Nick acted more in tone with how he is in the forth game?

Yo there is the blog that I follow called Gyakuten Saiban vs. Ace Attorney (nice blog btw) and I came across something that caught my interest. The blogger is going over case 2-4 when they say this:

Is this true for those that played the games in both languages? Did the GS123 Nick acted more in tone with how he is in the forth game?

With zero knowledge of the Japanese version I can say for sure that has to be false. Sure a personal crisis and a timeskip will cause some slight change in character but in all other forms of Ace Attorney media he is generally the same.

Tizoc

Hmmm...
tumblr_ncqjuwBX191tao0lso2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ncqjuwBX191tao0lso3_1280.jpg

Layton vs. PW is a lot darker than I expected. Like, people dying all over the place.

Though I still wonder if it'll all wrap up with a patented Layton-esque fakeout ending.

Huh? There never was any cel shading to begin with. I mean it's not even possible to have cel shading on 2d sprites.

Not necessarily cel shaded. But whatever you'd call th coloring on the first HD version. It looked almost cel shaded and was gross.

The smoothing you mean? Looks pretty "HD-ified" to me. *bleugh*

I dunno. For some reason it looks better than the first HD remaster they did.

braves01

Banned
Layton vs. PW is a lot darker than I expected. Like, people dying all over the place.

Though I still wonder if it'll all wrap up with a patented Layton-esque fakeout ending.

The Layton stories, except maybe the first, are horrible. I just finished Miracle Mask recently after a long time on my backlog, and while things are okay at first, the resolution is just garbage. It's too bad they can't poach some better writers to actually write a good overall plot to go with the charming world and characters.

I'm trying to do all the main Layton and AA games before playing Layton vs. PW, but hopefully the PW crew were mostly responsible for the ending because the Layton team just can't do it very well.

The Layton stories, except maybe the first, are horrible. I just finished Miracle Mask recently after a long time on my backlog, and while things are okay at first, the resolution is just garbage. It's too bad they can't poach some better writers to actually write a good overall plot to go with the charming world and characters.

I'm trying to do all the main Layton and AA games before playing Layton vs. PW, but hopefully the PW crew were mostly responsible for the ending because the Layton team just can't do it very well.

I'd say the third game actually had a pretty decent story (and conclusion) in spite of the usual Layton silliness being on full display near the end. Every other game though? Yeah...

I've played all the AA games and the first three Laytons. (I was part way through the forth but stopped for some reason, I need to get back to it.)

The only "required" knowledge from both series is the original trilogy of each IP. (Actually just the first two Laytons.)

FluxWaveZ

Alright, I've reached a certain part in the last trial of PLvsPW, and I think this must be the worst big twist I've ever seen in any Ace Attorney. Maybe I'll change my mind when I actually let it be fully explained, but it just seems utterly ridiculous. I was pretty into the story until this very moment, too.

I must say that I really liked the first three quaters of Layton vs. Wright, but the last case dragged on far too long. And a couple of reveals we could have lived without, they just made the whole thing more unbelievable. And we didn't really get a good explanation on what happened at the start of the game (the car chase etc.).

Parts of the game were better than AA5 IMO. And more difficult, which was nice. Sometimes I didn't fully follow what the game wanted me to do, so there was some trial and error there, but that was definitely better than the constant hints that AA5 threw at you.

FluxWaveZ

The ending certainly brings the game down, but I had a great time with Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright overall. Would probably rank it at the bottom of the AA series, but it was still great (mainly for its court segments, didn't care too much for the puzzle solving moments). And this is one of the best "Court Begins" themes in the entire series (spoilers).

Wonder if they'll ever make a sequel, seeing how this one apparently didn't do too well in terms of sales. One thing's for sure, though: I want more Ace Attorney. I think I'd really like it if this was a series with yearly releases; not sure I'd get prone to burnout with a series like this.

GSR

Wonder if they'll ever make a sequel, seeing how this one apparently didn't do too well in terms of sales. One thing's for sure, though: I want more Ace Attorney. I think I'd really like it if this was a series with yearly releases; not sure I'd get prone to burnout with a series like this.

This is entirely speculation, but it wouldn't surprise me if Capcom's eyeing that as an option if DGS does well. If nothing else, we know the AA5 team has been doing pre-production on another AA game since at least December 2013, so I could see TGS 2015 having an AA6/AAI3 announcement with a release the following year.

The games have been developed on roughly 2-year cycles since AA4, so if they want to make it yearly, that'd ostensibly be possible if they can keep Takumi doing DGS and Yamazaki doing the main games.

This is entirely speculation, but it wouldn't surprise me if Capcom's eyeing that as an option if DGS does well. If nothing else, we know the AA5 team has been doing pre-production on another AA game since at least December 2013, so I could see TGS 2015 having an AA6/AAI3 announcement with a release the following year.

The games have been developed on roughly 2-year cycles since AA4, so if they want to make it yearly, that'd ostensibly be possible if they can keep Takumi doing DGS and Yamazaki doing the main games.

I would start to worry that the quality would start to drop heavily if it became yearly even if worked on by two different teams. So far I view DGS as a side project more than anything with a bigger AA6/AAI3 in the pipeline. Also franchise fatigue is real for a general audience.

FluxWaveZ

I would start to worry that the quality would start to drop heavily if it became yearly even if worked on by two different teams. So far I view DGS as a side project more than anything with a bigger AA6/AAI3 in the pipeline. Also franchise fatigue is real for a general audience.

Hm... Let me check the very original AA release dates in Japan for reference:

AA = 2001
AA2 = 2002
AA3 = 2004
AA4 = 2007
AAI = 2009
AAI2 = 2011
PLvsPW = 2012
AA5 = 2013

The original GBA releases were practically one year apart from each other, at which point—after the 3 year gap until AA4—notable releases in the series came out 2 years apart from each other (excluding PLvsPW).

Unless it's as GSR theorizes and the series becomes successful enough to have yearly releases between two different teams, it might be unrealistic for that to happen. I really have to wonder about series fatigue, though. When we consider so many games that operate so mechanically similar to each other that have yearly releases (though I suppose it's different when they're AAA titles), I feel like new adventures on a yearly basis wouldn't feel out of place. Haven't looked into it. but isn't the Professor Layton series practically yearly?

Wouldn't want anything that'd impact the overall quality, of course, but I would definitely not be opposed to new cases to enjoy every year.

Also, DGS isn't really a side project, according to Shu Takumi. He essentially confirmed that the DGS line of the series, specifically, will be having sequels in interviews a while back, and it seems that it will be on the level of either AAI as a spin-off, or even larger.

Lusankya

It's basically the same situation we had 2-3 years ago.

Takumi working on a side project while Yamazaki (most likely) works on a new main entry which will be released one year later than Takumi's game.

So Takumi's new game will come out rougly 2.5 - 3 years after his last game and Yamazaki's entry will be released 2.5 - 3 years after his last work as well.

I wonder who came up with the multiple witnesses stuff in Layton vs Wright. I think it's better than most, if not all, gimmicks in the main AA series.

Groof

Finally beat chapter 3 in AA5 earlier, and now it's picking up I feel! Especially the part near the end where
you had to dress up Athena like the Phoenix statue
was really fun to do and see.
Just started chapter 4 and I feel really excited!

Just finished Layton vs. PW. I liked it but I have conflicted feeling about it. Probably my least favorite AA experience.
And dear god that Edgeworth model in the ending was HIDEOUS.

FluxWaveZ

Just finished Layton vs. PW. I liked it but I have conflicted feeling about it. Probably my least favorite AA experience.
And dear god that Edgeworth model in the ending was HIDEOUS.

You should play all of the free bonus episodes. Reminded me of Mass Effect 3's Citadel in that it left a better taste to leave the game with than the actual ending.

FluxWaveZ

Execution could have been a bit better, but it's certainly one of the most unexpected twists in the series.

Er, if that's what the above's referring to.

Groof

Execution could have been a bit better, but it's certainly one of the most unexpected twists in the series.

Er, if that's what the above's referring to.

I'm referring to the entire thing. Holy shit what a ride it was!

I can agree that the execution was a bit poor at times, and the many grammar and spelling errors kind of ruined parts of it... but as a whole it blew my face off. Sucked me right in, in good ole AA fashion! Very happy with that.

Only thing left now is the DLC case. On the whole though, the game was alright. Sort of exceeded my expectations and the 3D models were terrific. However, those anime cutscenes could've been left out...

Hmm I'm replaying case 5 of AAI2 right now and for some reason I'm confused about a minor plot detail.
During Blaise's trial why Mr. Sheilds acting as the defense attorney? This seems really odd to me. I know he is standing in for Jill Crane, cause she's dead but from the defendant's standpoint (Roland) why would she allow him to defend her. Obviously she would know that he is against her. Would it be natural for her to pick a different attorney or defend herself. It just seemed like Mr. Sheilds just took over for, story reasons.

FluxWaveZ

Interesting blog post about the AA trilogy. One of the many cool tidbits:
Maya was always going to be Phoenix’s partner in crime, but she was originally supposed to be a lawyer-in-training who was preparing to take the bar exam.
Guess it wasn't until Athena, 12 years later, that the series would see an assistant kind of like that.

PK Gaming

I always love reading Janet Hsu's blog entries, she's great.

- “It could be said that the protagonist of AA1 is Edgeworth because, in a manner of speaking, ‘Turnabout Samurai’ exists for Edgeworth’s sake,” penned Mr. Takumi in an AA1 dev blog. “And then, with the theme of the [fourth] episode being ‘rekindling the relationship’, I tried to paint a picture of the intensely strong bond of friendship that two men can share, but I wonder if that’s what people got out of it? There seems to be those who would suggest that Phoenix and Edgeworth’s ‘intensely strong bond’ is more of an ‘intensely passionate bond’ of sorts...”

Well when you include text like:

Edgeworth: However. In retrospect, it would have been better had we not met. Thanks to you, I am saddled with unnecessary... feelings.

And predicate Phoenix's entire life and career around Edgeworth because defended him in the 4th grade, what did you expect? Let's not forget that hilariously melodramatic scene in AA2 where Phoenix snaps at Maya for bringing up Edgeworth, and demands her to not use that name in front of him again.

Miles being the main protagonist of AA1 is on point, I think. Definitely goes through the most character development, and he's a central character in many of the cases.

- Pearl was originally going to be around the same age as Maya and would’ve been a one-shot, snooty rival character, but at the suggestion of one of the designers who said it would be more dramatic if Pearl was a lot younger than Maya, Mr. Takumi channeled his inner little girl and tried writing Pearl as an 8-year-old. To his surprise, he found Pearl to be so adorable that he included her in more than just the second episode.

DAMN. I like Pearl, but I love the concept of a rival spirit medium.

EDIT: Jean's entry was especially interesting. Didn't know he had a persona of sorts. It's cool how the AA team's gotten a little more progressive over the years.

Top Bottom