• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

Miles being the main protagonist of AA1 is on point, I think. Definitely goes through the most character development, and he's a central character in many of the cases.

Definitely. I kinda feel like Phoenix is kind of a decoy protagonist, at least in the first game. Then he starts coming into his own in AA2, while the very same game also contains the ultimate payoff of Edgeworth's development in the first game.

Reading that blog entry actually made me appreciate the circus case a little more.

JulianImp

I bought the physical JP trilogy on a whim, and have been playing it ever since I got tired of Smash Bros. So far I've played through AA1 and 2, and am currently starting the second case of the third game.

One thing this series did is show me that I actually do enjoy adventure games despite how gameplay is more of a background element compared to the setting and plot. Even if there's a single valid solution at any point whenever you're required to present evidence, press a statement or point a contradiction, I like how I could figure most of them out. I did reach out for a FAQ at times for the final cases in AA1 and some points which stumped me throughout 2, but I've decided to let that go for the third game since it does take the fun out of solving things away, even if it's a pain having to re-do stuff you already solved if you mess up too many times and have to reload an earlier save.

Once I'm done with the third game I was thinking about buying the Layton crossover and AA5, and might be getting AA4 and AAI1 from a friend of mine who lives in the US after noticing I can't just buy the JP versions because they have no English language setting unlike the GBA games (might end up buying AAI2 while I'm still in Japan, though). Given how plot-heavy this series appears to be so far, would it be better if I held off of playing AA5 until getting and beating Apollo Justice?

I bought the physical JP trilogy on a whim, and have been playing it ever since I got tired of Smash Bros. So far I've played through AA1 and 2, and am currently starting the second case of the third game.

One thing this series did is show me that I actually do enjoy adventure games despite how gameplay is more of a background element compared to the setting and plot. Even if there's a single valid solution at any point whenever you're required to present evidence, press a statement or point a contradiction, I like how I could figure most of them out. I did reach out for a FAQ at times for the final cases in AA1 and some points which stumped me throughout 2, but I've decided to let that go for the third game since it does take the fun out of solving things away, even if it's a pain having to re-do stuff you already solved if you mess up too many times and have to reload an earlier save.

Once I'm done with the third game I was thinking about buying the Layton crossover and AA5, and might be getting AA4 and AAI1 from a friend of mine who lives in the US after noticing I can't just buy the JP versions because they have no English language setting unlike the GBA games (might end up buying AAI2 while I'm still in Japan, though). Given how plot-heavy this series appears to be so far, would it be better if I held off of playing AA5 until getting and beating Apollo Justice?

There's quite a few tidbits in AA5 that will make more sense if you've played AJ, so yeah you should hold off.

Tizoc

ace attorney is hilarious because before playing it you’re like “wth how can a game about LAWYERS be fun??” and after playing it you’re like
tumblr_inline_mjf36rljuU1qz4rgp.jpg

daydream

Banned
Seriously. This series is yet another thing I had to add to my long-running list of "things I never knew I actually wanted".

If that thing is 'games about lawyers' then yes.

If it's 'being a lawyer' then you'd probably come out of it severaly disappointed. Just ask Jintor. :p

I feel dumb for not knowing thread existed. So here's me beating a dead horse and listing my favorite AA games from least to most favorite.

7. Apollo Justice
6. Justice for All
5. Investigations
4. Investigations 2
3.Dual Destines
2. Ace Attorney
1. Trials and Tribulations

Notice that I didn't put PW vs. PL on that list. That's because I haven't played it yet. Which makes me a sad panda.

I feel dumb for not knowing thread existed. So here's me beating a dead horse and listing my favorite AA games from least to most favorite.

7. Apollo Justice
6. Justice for All
5. Investigations
4. Investigations 2
3.Dual Destines
2. Ace Attorney
1. Trials and Tribulations

Notice that I didn't put PW vs. PL on that list. That's because I haven't played it yet. Which makes me a sad panda.

Play it, dammit!

FluxWaveZ

PLvsPW is probably the worst AA game, but it was still good. A setting where magic exists... and advanced forensics don't makes for different kinds of logic puzzles in the courtroom, with a new set of rules. Also, Maya.

PLvsPW also seems to have inspired certain parts of DGS.

Edit:
RT DGS@Jump Festa (Dec 20-21): playable demo of the joint reasoning system + new information & actual gameplay footage of Meiji Japan trial.
Via Tiwtter.

D-Man

Since the release is tomorrow, I'm curious enough to ask if anybody is going to do an OT for the Phoenix Wright Trilogy? If I wasn't a junior, I probably would have volunteered to do one, but alas.

Just thought it would be cool to have an OT for that since there will probably be a good amount of newcomers to the series with that release.

FluxWaveZ

I think a quick OT would be good for newcomers to discuss the series, as well.

And, geez, I didn't even realize it was coming out tomorrow. It'd be good for more exposure, too.

GSR

If they were going to take one thing out of PL x PW, I'm glad it's the multiple witness system.

Well, we don't know if that's what they're doing or not. The extended TGS trailer showed a jury, but we don't have any info on how they'll play into court gameplay, or if we'll see multiple witnesses at once. (The only screenshot we have of the witness stand just has a single witness from case 1.)

Still, DGS definitely seems to be pulling a lot from PLvsPW, and that's not really a bad thing! PLvsPW had its issues, but I really liked how they livened up the court segments, and I hope DGS has its own ways of keeping things fresh.

Incidentally, I would be surprised if we don't get Famitsu info either this week or next. It's fairly rare for Capcom to announce new AA game info in Japan without giving Famitsu the scoop first.

PranooY

Why isn't Ace Trilogy out yet on 3DS eshop? Today is the release day, isn't it? Is there an OT?
Edit: Its available now and I bought it. Never played Ace Attorney, Now I'm going to marathon this.

Why isn't Ace Trilogy out yet on 3DS eshop? Today is the release day, isn't it? Is there an OT?
Edit: Its available now and I bought it. Never played Ace Attorney, Now I'm going to marathon this.

Enjoy it! The first time through is such a rush. I wish I could experience them again for the first time.

Bowl0l

After playing just one case of AA: Trilogy, I ordered from Amazon
Miles Edgeworth and Apollo Justice.

@Gaf, are this games available in eshop?

Bowl0l

At least I know my purchases are not redundant. Its too bad that not all the games in eshop.
I would have bought them all.

Just (re) finished the first game, in a bit under 15 hours. Awesome stuff, Rise From The Ashes wasn't as difficult as I remember it being. Onto JFA next, which I haven't played since maybe late 2010 or so, so pretty excited about that.

daydream

Banned
Hope everyone saw the news of a new album (Orchestra & Jazz) releasing next March. Best news of December for me.

Also, I did a search on VGMdb and stumbled across this drama cd:

43675-1389325604.jpg

Any JP speakers listen to it?

D-Man

Hope everyone saw the news of a new album (Orchestra & Jazz) releasing next March. Best news of December for me.

Also, I did a search on VGMdb and stumbled across this drama cd:

43675-1389325604.jpg

Any JP speakers listen to it?

I remember listening to that while reading a translation of it when it came out and I enjoyed quite a bit. I really loved how hammy Fulbright's VA was with all of the "JUSTICE!!".

Bowl0l

Never noticed this before:

Maggie Maggey <3
Always neat to find easter eggs you missed before, even when this is my 4th playthrough.

Is it only in the Trilogy?

Eshop sale alert:
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Dual Destinies &#8211; $22.49 (was $29.99) until Jan. 2

FluxWaveZ

It's interesting that that doesn't exist, though. With all of the anime adaptations of video games and the series' popularity in Japan, one would think they would have gone for one. They did a live action movie, after all.

Sölf

It's interesting that that doesn't exist, though. With all of the anime adaptations of video games and the series' popularity in Japan, one would think they would have gone for one. They did a live action movie, after all.

The live action was actually quite good, imo. It was interesting how they did the "present evidence" in the movie. The sad part is of course, it was nothing new. If you played the first game you just knew what happend.

But yes, AA anime please. Even if it would only be a small OVA series that adapts the manga (which I still need to finish).

daydream

Banned
Hm, Phoenix looks too young in those mock-ups. I guess I'd watch an AA anime but only if it featured (new) quality cases.

In any case, I'll take the presentation of the games over a fully animated series any day.

It was on Youtube for a while, not sure if it still is. It's a fun movie, more serious than what I was expecting but still light-hearted.
The one I found on YouTube had all of the sound muted by YouTube! :( I'm trying to find another place to watch it (with English subs) if anyone has any links!
An AA anime would be awesome, but I don't like the style of those mockups.

100% agree with all of this!

I desperately want the Meiji Era game to be localized! X_X

the movie was okay but they really fucked up maya

making her all gloomy, and other changes like... uh... whatever the fuck you'd call what they did to redd white really did mess with the tone a bit too much, imo

Hopefully I'm not just being like "it's different from the game so it's bad!", but I honestly do think some of the changes were weird and created some dissonance.

Top Bottom