• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

me0wish

Never noticed this before:

Maggie <3
Always neat to find easter eggs you missed before, even when this is my 4th playthrough.

Is this from the Iphone version? Looks much better than the ugly 3DS version..

Edit: googled iOS version, I almost feel ripped off by the 3DS version, almost, as the iOS also has its share of issues. Hopefully Capcom will one day release the definitive edition on steam.

D-Man

Personally, the AA Movie is my favorite movie adaptation of a video game. It was really fun to watch it and see what was different between the game and the movie. I did get bothered by some stuff like Maya and Redd White, but I actually found the film to be pretty impressive overall.

Phoenix's actor nailed the role though. He was so expressive and I loved it.

GSR

It's interesting that that doesn't exist, though. With all of the anime adaptations of video games and the series' popularity in Japan, one would think they would have gone for one. They did a live action movie, after all.

If memory serves, the producers have said they've considered it but don't feel they have the resources to pull it off in a way that would be satisfying.

My greatest wish right now. Why is Capcom USA dragging their heels?

;_;

I wouldn't start panicking yet :). As far as I know, they never said they weren't localizing it, right? DD did really well in the west and they ended up localizing Layton vs. Wright eventually :). I'm going to try and remain optimistic :3

Grexeno

I wouldn't start panicking yet :). As far as I know, they never said they weren't localizing it, right? DD did really well in the west and they ended up localizing Layton vs. Wright eventually :). I'm going to try and remain optimistic :3
Layton vs. Wright would have gotten localized no matter what because it features the far more popular and better-selling Professor Layton.

FluxWaveZ

Different localization teams; different circumstances. I'm not sure DD did "really well" in the west, either.

<3

I still feel good about the chances, I just want them to hurry up and confirm it. Then we can celebrate. :)

Different localization teams; different circumstances. I'm not sure DD did "really well" in the west, either.
As for Layton vs. PW, I'd rather just put that behind us. I'm glad I played it, but it wasn't my fav AA (or Layton) experience.

But RE: AA5, Capcom said they were happy with the reception ("achieved projected sales"), and they're usually never happy with anything. (And are generally quite blunt about it.) I think they view it as a success.

FluxWaveZ

Capcom said they were happy with the sales, and they're usually never happy with anything. (And are generally quite blunt about it.)

I think they view it as a success.

Sure, I'm bullish on the idea that DGS will get localized. They did at least say AA5 met their expectations, so I think there's a fair chance we get DGS. There's no way it'll be physical, though.

Sure, I'm bullish on the idea that DGS will get localized. They did at least say AA5 met their expectations, so I think there's a fair chance we get DGS. There's no way it'll be physical, though.
The physical thing is a toss up for sure. I personally think it's beyond ridiculous that they didn't even consider a small print run when other niche companies do it for all their games which achieve far fewer sales, but as long as we get the game in English I'll manage. (But I'll still bluster about it!)

D-Man

I've already come to terms with the possibility that we will never get a physical Ace Attorney game released in the west again. PLvsPW was an exception because Nintendo localized it, but there is no way in hell that Capcom will give this series another shot in the physical market. They couldn't even give us the Trilogy on 3DS physically.

I don't really care though. I live for this series and will definitely purchase any game related to it on day 1 if localized. Really hoping we get a localization announcement for DGS sometime during the year!

I'm not sure DD did "really well" in the west, either.
Except it did. Capcom themselves said that it "achieved all project sales" in the west, so it at the very least met their goal. Good sign in my mind.

Besides, the whole point of my post was that I was staying optimistic. And I intend to stay that way, regardless <3 :).

The physical thing is a toss up for sure. I personally think it's beyond ridiculous that they didn't even consider a small print run when other niche companies do it for all their games which achieve far fewer sales, but as long as we get the game in English I'll manage. (But I'll still bluster about it!)

You should give up on ever seeing another physical release of an Ace Attorney game (aside from any future crossover type games like the Layton one). It's found success as a digital only title, and Capcom are probably the biggest cowards out of all major publishers anyway. Any future games will be download only.

GSR

Except it did. Capcom themselves said that it "achieved all project sales" in the west, so it at the very least met their goal. Good sign in my mind.

Not to be a downer, but can you source that? I remember Capcom's earning reports at some point said the game met sales expectations, but it never specified if they meant worldwide, Japan, or the West, I don't think.

Lusankya

Not to be a downer, but can you source that? I remember Capcom's earning reports at some point said the game met sales expectations, but it never specified if they meant worldwide, Japan, or the West, I don't think.

I am pretty sure there were two reports; one for Japan and one for world wide sales.

Here is the first one which only reported sales from Japan:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/31/resident-evil-5-becomes-capcoms-best-seller

and here is the second report including worldwide sales (at least they refer specifically to the worldwide sales of Ducktales Remastered and how Dead Rising 3 was specifically made for European and American markets):
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e140508b.html

I am pretty sure there were two reports; one for Japan and one for world wide sales.

Here is the first one which only reported sales from Japan:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/31/resident-evil-5-becomes-capcoms-best-seller

and here is the second report including worldwide sales (at least they refer specifically to the worldwide sales of Ducktales Remastered and how Dead Rising 3 was specifically made for European and American markets):
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e140508b.html

Beat me to it!! Haha thank you :)!

This might be a long-shot, but can someone give a hint as to what evidence I need to present in this one part Ace Attorney Investigations 2? I've been stuck all day with no idea what to do. I've gone from full health down to having only two chances left.

I'm in Episode 2, The End Part 2. I've just accused
Roland
of being the murderer, and
she
is asking that I show evidence. According to Edgeworth's inner-monologue, it has something to do with the fact that the police dog barked at
Roland
when
she
walked into the courtyard.

Does anyone remember this part well enough to give me a hint? I don't want to be just given the answer, but I need some clue beyond what the game's providing me...

Lusankya

Well, the dog barked at
her
, because he recognized something.
Has to be something from earlier in the case that links
her
to the murder.

Remember to not only read the titles of the pieces of evidence, but also their detailled description.

Well, the dog barked at
her
, because he recognized something.
Has to be something from earlier in the case that links
her
to the murder.

Remember to not only read the titles of the pieces of evidence, but also their detailled description.

First, thank you so much for helping me. I didn't think I was going to get any responses.

I've pretty much reasoned that far already though. I know you're trying to avoid giving it away, but could you be somewhat less vague?

Lusankya

He smelled something on her. Earlier on he was tasked to find the source of a certain smell.

Solution:
There is a mysterious smell mentioned in the crime scene details.

sheaaaa

Finishing AA Trilogy and starting on Apollo Justice has been a real trip. I wanted to play AJ to continue the story of all the characters I got to know over the 3 games, so it's been really disorientating to
start years in the future with everything thrown out of whack.

My question is, in AJ and DD, do we meet up with the old characters again at any point? Especially
Maya and Pearl.
No spoilers please!

xezuru

I'm on the 2nd Case of Edgeworth Investigations 2 and I assume it just follows the typical Phoenix Wright formula where second case is just a bit of a overlengthy world builder. When does this game pick up?, because I remember liking Edgeworth 1 but maybe I'm just weirded by the fact i'm not on a portable.

GSR

Man, I'm so ready for a new AA game. Let's get this show on the road Capcom!

I'm actually really curious as to where DGS' Japanese release will fall. DS-era onwards games in the series, for reference:

AA4: April 2007
AAI1: May 2009
AAI2: February 2011
[PLvsPW: November 2012]
AA5: July 2013

AAI2 and PLvsPW seem to be outliers - the latter because it was a collaboration, the former because it seems to have been a very quick iteration on AAI1.

With that in mind, we've got a range between April and July. I admit I'm not super familiar with Capcom's overall 3DS release schedule, but that timeframe seems to suit a mid-range release like an AA game.

One other thing that can provide hints is the media stream we get. AAI2 had all sorts of info, trailers, and the like by the end of December; AAI1 had sporadic updates between TGS 2008 and release; AA5 had total radio silence from TGS to March, and then roughly monthly updates. DGS has had a demo and new info in December at Jump Festa, and they're now holding demo stations throughout Japan until April as part of Monster Hunter Festa. I could see them starting to roll out more info around March, with a June release or so.

One other possible consideration: if Capcom really is annualizing the series by having Takumi on DGS games and Yamazaki on main/AAI games, then DGS probably can't come out too late in the year, since the next game announcement would almost certainly happen at TGS 2015. I know, I know, Capcom, but having the game come out in like, August and then having the next one announced a few weeks later seems a bit much even for them.

tl;dr - May-June release for DGS in Japan is my best guess. On the English side of things, I could see a pre-E3 or E3 announcement like Dual Destinies, but it all depends on if Capcom's interested in bringing the game over, or if we're going to wind up with another AAI2 situation.

Gahhhh me too!!!! Please ;_;
It's coming. I can feel it. :)

I'm on the 2nd Case of Edgeworth Investigations 2 and I assume it just follows the typical Phoenix Wright formula where second case is just a bit of a overlengthy world builder. When does this game pick up?, because I remember liking Edgeworth 1 but maybe I'm just weirded by the fact i'm not on a portable.
Case 2 is when they start laying the groundwork for the big mystery. It might not seem that way now, but just keep going. Case 3 is a huge treat for longtime fans, and then 4 & 5 is when everything starts coming to a head.

I'm actually really curious as to where DGS' Japanese release will fall. DS-era onwards games in the series, for reference:

AA4: April 2007
AAI1: May 2009
AAI2: February 2011
[PLvsPW: November 2012]
AA5: July 2013

AAI2 and PLvsPW seem to be outliers - the latter because it was a collaboration, the former because it seems to have been a very quick iteration on AAI1.

With that in mind, we've got a range between April and July. I admit I'm not super familiar with Capcom's overall 3DS release schedule, but that timeframe seems to suit a mid-range release like an AA game.

One other thing that can provide hints is the media stream we get. AAI2 had all sorts of info, trailers, and the like by the end of December; AAI1 had sporadic updates between TGS 2008 and release; AA5 had total radio silence from TGS to March, and then roughly monthly updates. DGS has had a demo and new info in December at Jump Festa, and they're now holding demo stations throughout Japan until April as part of Monster Hunter Festa. I could see them starting to roll out more info around March, with a June release or so.

One other possible consideration: if Capcom really is annualizing the series by having Takumi on DGS games and Yamazaki on main/AAI games, then DGS probably can't come out too late in the year, since the next game announcement would almost certainly happen at TGS 2015. I know, I know, Capcom, but having the game come out in like, August and then having the next one announced a few weeks later seems a bit much even for them.

tl;dr - May-June release for DGS in Japan is my best guess. On the English side of things, I could see a pre-E3 or E3 announcement like Dual Destinies, but it all depends on if Capcom's interested in bringing the game over, or if we're going to wind up with another AAI2 situation.
I'm really hoping Dai is confirmed by E³.

Finished AA1 yesterday! (Having only played AA5 before)

I. loved. it.

Had a blast playing it. The story was amazing. All the characters were amazing. The main characters (Mia, Maya, Edgeworth, Gumshoe, Larry, Ema, Udgey) are just so likeable Can't believe AA5 exists and it doesn't have any of them! :( (spoilers of AA5)
well Udgey is still as awesome as ever, Edgeworth does come back but now that I know his full story it makes me appreciate his "return" more! and if I remember right Maya send a letter to Phoenix.

Chapter spoilers
I forgot the sensation of yelling OBJECTION! at the 3DS mic haha also the prosecutor Payne is related to the one from AA5, right?
Okay I didn't like how Mia died so early :( This was my least favorite case of the game but it was still pretty good. Since Redd didn't show up in the early investigaion/trial sections, for a while I thought it was the bellboy dressed or something lol
STEEEEL SAMURAI Really enjoyed playing through this one. All the side characters were pretty awesome too. Powers, Oldbag, Sal, etc. Cody was probably my favorite. Can't believe he saw his hero die at such a young age... Penny was eh. I thought she was the murderder since she was so innocent, so I was really thrown off when it was clear Dee was the murderer, and it's really tragic how Hammer turned out to be the one seeking revenge only to be killed in self-defense :(
Wow, just wow. I just can't talk about this case. PERFECT! All the things that happened here....Maya's being insecure about herself, Larry saving the day, Edgeworth's believing he killed his own father, just everything about it! Yogi's past is pretty damn sad too. Von Karma was a pretty epic villain too and it felt so satisfying to defeat him and learn Edgeworth wasn't the one to kill his father. Ahh, that ending picture <3<3<3 only Udgey was left out of it. Plus, did I mention that you cross-examine a PARROT?! The school memories that made Phoenix a lawyer was finally given a closure, AND IT WAS FANTASTIC! Haha, "when something smells, it's usually the Butz"
Liked it as much as the other one. Ahh, I absolutely loved all of the new characters in it. Ema, as much as she resembles Maya, is pretty awesome. When it seemed she was the one that killed Marshall I was like "OH MY GOD NO DON'T DO THAT". Also enjoyed Lana too, I really like both sisters' designs. Marshall, Angel and Meekins were also veeeery enjoyable. Loved how they turned the little Blue Badger mention from chapter 4 to how important he is in the case. Gant was a pretty funny and awesome villain, just like von Karma, plus learning how a character you cared for (Edgeworth/Ema) didn't kill the suspect of a previous case (Gregory/Marshall) but it was the villain (von Karma/Gant) is such an awesome experience.
Though it really seemed different than the others because you suddenly make use of new things like examining objects, and I think it would have been better if this was the fourth one since the actual 4th one really feels like an ending.

Definitely better than AA5,
I can't really who my favorite character is because everyone is goddamn awesome.
Hmm, I will say it's between Wrighto, Edgey and Bambina/Ema (wish the full game would feature her as Wright's assistant :/)
RftA_Ema_Skye_Happy_1.gif

Oh my god, I'm so happy there are two games left to play!!
PD: (spoilers)
Mia!Maya IS SO CREEPY

My post rests, Your Honor.
Edgeworth-bow(a).gif

Finished AA1 yesterday! (Having only played AA5 before)

I. loved. it.

Had a blast playing it. The story was amazing. All the characters were amazing. The main characters (Mia, Maya, Edgeworth, Gumshoe, Larry, Ema, Udgey) are just so likeable Can't believe AA5 exists and it doesn't have any of them! :( (spoilers of AA5)
well Udgey is still as awesome as ever, Edgeworth does come back but now that I know his full story it makes me appreciate his "return" more! and if I remember right Maya send a letter to Phoenix.

Chapter spoilers
I forgot the sensation of yelling OBJECTION! at the 3DS mic haha also the prosecutor Payne is related to the one from AA5, right?
Okay I didn't like how Mia died so early :( This was my least favorite case of the game but it was still pretty good. Since Redd didn't show up in the early investigaion/trial sections, for a while I thought it was the bellboy dressed or something lol
STEEEEL SAMURAI Really enjoyed playing through this one. All the side characters were pretty awesome too. Powers, Oldbag, Sal, etc. Cody was probably my favorite. Can't believe he saw his hero die at such a young age... Penny was eh. I thought she was the murderder since she was so innocent, so I was really thrown off when it was clear Dee was the murderer, and it's really tragic how Hammer turned out to be the one seeking revenge only to be killed in self-defense :(
Wow, just wow. I just can't talk about this case. PERFECT! All the things that happened here....Maya's being insecure about herself, Larry saving the day, Edgeworth's believing he killed his own father, just everything about it! Yogi's past is pretty damn sad too. Von Karma was a pretty epic villain too and it felt so satisfying to defeat him and learn Edgeworth wasn't the one to kill his father. Ahh, that ending picture <3<3<3 only Udgey was left out of it. Plus, did I mention that you cross-examine a PARROT?! The school memories that made Phoenix a lawyer was finally given a closure, AND IT WAS FANTASTIC! Haha, "when something smells, it's usually the Butz"
Liked it as much as the other one. Ahh, I absolutely loved all of the new characters in it. Ema, as much as she resembles Maya, is pretty awesome. When it seemed she was the one that killed Marshall I was like "OH MY GOD NO DON'T DO THAT". Also enjoyed Lana too, I really like both sisters' designs. Marshall, Angel and Meekins were also veeeery enjoyable. Loved how they turned the little Blue Badger mention from chapter 4 to how important he is in the case. Gant was a pretty funny and awesome villain, just like von Karma, plus learning how a character you cared for (Edgeworth/Ema) didn't kill the suspect of a previous case (Gregory/Marshall) but it was the villain (von Karma/Gant) is such an awesome experience.
Though it really seemed different than the others because you suddenly make use of new things like examining objects, and I think it would have been better if this was the fourth one since the actual 4th one really feels like an ending.

Definitely better than AA5,
I can't really who my favorite character is because everyone is goddamn awesome.
Hmm, I will say it's between Wrighto, Edgey and Bambina/Ema (wish the full game would feature her as Wright's assistant :/)
RftA_Ema_Skye_Happy_1.gif

Oh my god, I'm so happy there are two games left to play!!
PD: (spoilers)
Mia!Maya IS SO CREEPY

My post rests, Your Honor.
Edgeworth-bow(a).gif

I'm so glad to see you in here <333

And dat new avatar <333

I'm so glad to see you in here <333

And dat new avatar <333
Thanks! Also, as much as I liked Meekins, I think for know I will use Ema (though I can't find a transparent sprite of her to use so this is all I got for now lol)

Also, I'm proud to say I didn't use a playthrough even once while playing the game! (Unlike AA5...)

ani-larry-sleeve.gif

spiritfox

Ema is great. I hope she returns in future games.

Later games spoilers:
I liked her in Apollo Justice, even though it is a pretty big change from her AA1 self. Also she gave birth to the subtitle of this thread, which makes her even more awesome.

Thanks! Also, as much as I liked Meekins, I think for know I will use Ema (though I can't find a transparent sprite of her to use so this is all I got for now lol)

Also, I'm proud to say I didn't use a playthrough even once while playing the game! (Unlike AA5...)

ani-larry-sleeve.gif

Later games spoilers:
I liked her in Apollo Justice, even though it is a pretty big change from her AA1 self. Also she gave birth to the subtitle of this thread, which makes her even more awesome.

I am also sincerely hoping she makes another appearance. I loved her the most in AA4 ;___;. She was one of the most hilarious characters!!

Ok I have a question, I have the IOS version of the Trilogy but I hate playing on my phone, but I do already own it. Should I cough up th $30 for the 3DS version? Is it that much better? If so, what are the main differences?

Ok I have a question, I have the IOS version of the Trilogy but I hate playing on my phone, but I do already own it. Should I cough up th $30 for the 3DS version? Is it that much better? If so, what are the main differences?

Do it. Support the series <3

Haha jk :) I think the graphics are a bit better tho, and you obviously don't have to pay for each case separately, which I think is the case for iOS? O_O

Later games spoilers:

Yeah, I liked her soooo much better in AJ than her past self. Even though she could be a bit of a jerk.

NotLiquid

Replaying Ace Attorney 5. I honestly still quite love this game, doesn't even nearly reach the heights of AA1 or AA3, and its a bit on the easy side (although having to balance "difficulty" in these games have always been a pretty hard task), but I still love the characters, they finally made Apollo come into his own, I prefer the Mood Matrix as a "gimmick" over psyche-locks and perception, Blackquill is an awesome prosecutor and it has a good balance in characterizing the three lead protagonists. I hope that AA6 can rectify it's shortcomings and do good on the new defense crew because they're a fantastic team.

Also I still prefer Athena over Maya but I hope to see her again soon too.

DaBoss

I was thinking about this the other day. I think Perception and Mood Matrix should really be done outside of the courtroom. I finished AAI2 last month and thought Logic Chess was great and was never used in the "trials" to point out lies. Those things should really be used to get info out of people during investigations.

Hey, this thread is alive again! Nice to see new people. :D

You can find pretty much any sprite of any character on this site. (It's the best English AA site on the web, tons of stuff there.)

Then if you can't get it the way you want yourself, you can always ask here on GAF. There's a great thread in the OT Community where you can ask someone to help you with an avatar, and they always do an amazing job.

I was thinking about this the other day. I think Perception and Mood Matrix should really be done outside of the courtroom. I finished AAI2 last month and thought Logic Chess was great and was never used in the "trials" to point out lies. Those things should really be used to get info out of people during investigations.

I agree with this i think :). In DD, everything except the Mood Matrix was outside of the courtroom. I would have liked to see how the mood matrix was used during the investigation alternatively as well!

Top Bottom