• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

Had a nap and dreamt about Capcom announcing a new Ace Attorney game. Woke up feeling like I needed to eat a hamburger. What are you doing to me Capcom?

*eats sushi shaped hamburger*

I'm a donut man, myself.

npGePqo.jpg

FluxWaveZ

Had a nap and dreamt about Capcom announcing a new Ace Attorney game.

Heh, sill wonder if this could actually happen this year. What with next year being Ace Attorney's 15th anniversary and Takeshi Yamazaki's team working on their game after AA5. It's lame how healthy this series is in Japan, while its status is so precarious in the west.

Reminder that the Udon localized The Art of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies will be releasing this June.

Heh, sill wonder if this could actually happen this year. What with next year being Ace Attorney's 15th anniversary and Takeshi Yamazaki's team working on their game after AA5. It's lame how healthy this series is in Japan, while its status is so precarious in the west.
I imagine it will depend on when Dai is coming out in Japan. They'll probably want to have a bit of space between. I could see AA6 being annouced at TGS.

And the only people that are making AA's status in the west precarious are Capcom themselves. The series will probably never be a huge success in North America, but it has a very ardent fanbase, and I think that's more than enough incentive to continue to support it here. I said this in another topic, but they need to take a page from Bamco USA's playbook and see how they are currently promoting the Tales series in the US, and do something similar. A "niche" series that has a dedicated installed fanbase is nothing to scoff at, and I wish Capcom would take that to heart.

Do we have any numbers on how DD sold in the West compared to the rest of the series?
I don't think we ever got specific numbers. They did say that is met sales expectations and we already knew beforehand that Dual Destinies projected numbers were set higher than normal so that's a pretty good indicator that it did well.

FluxWaveZ

I don't think we ever got specific numbers. They did say that is met sales expectations and we already knew beforehand that Dual Destinies projected numbers were set higher than normal so that's a pretty good indicator that it did well.

Yeah, back when Sven was around, he was talking about how they had high expectations for AA5 (NA sales), and it seems that they were met.

It'd be nice if that made it practically a lock that we'd be seeing DGS but, yeah...

However meaningless, if we compare the timeline for AA5:

- Announced on January 29, 2012.
- Localization confirmed on September 9, 2012.

That's a period of 224 days. DGS was announced on April 22, 2014 and, for the exact period of AA5, we would have had a localization announcement on December 2nd, 2014 at the latest. If anything, this at least tells us that they haven't been as quick to announce DGS' localization as they were for AA5.

Yeah, back when Sven was around, he was talking about how they had high expectations for AA5 (NA sales), and it seems that they were met.

It'd be nice if that made it practically a lock that we'd be seeing DGS but, yeah...

However meaningless, if we compare the timeline for AA5:

- Announced on January 29, 2012.
- Localization confirmed on September 9, 2012.

That's a period of 224 days. DGS was announced on April 22, 2014 and, for the exact period of AA5, we would have had a localization announcement on December 2nd, 2014 at the latest. If anything, this at least tells us that they haven't been as quick to announce DGS' localization as they were for AA5.
I'm guessing/hoping that AA HD Trilogy has something to do with that. Probably want to put a little space in between games.

It is starting to be that time though. Hopefully we'll get word soon.

I'm a donut man, myself.

npGePqo.jpg
Nothing beats a jelly donut!

Reminder that the Udon localized The Art of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies will be releasing this June.
Almost forgot about this, I hope there's more information and concept stuff in this one, the books covering AA1-AA4 are a bit barebones which is a shame.
Actually what I'd really like is one for Layton/Ace Attorney (and for the Asura's Wrath one to finally come out).

me0wish

Just finished the trilogy on 3DS, what a great series. I even liked the second game more than I remember as I really hated it the first time I've played it.

I'm I the only one who feels sorry for Dahlia and Morgan?

Why would you feel sorry for either of them? *AA:JFA & AA:TaT spoilers*

Sure, Morgan had to give up what she felt was her rightful place at the head of the family but those were the rules. Her husband left and took custody of the twins but seeing as they had no spirtual power they would have been useless to her, seeing as her whole relationship with Pearl was based around using her to become the next master and regain power for herself.

As for Dahlia, ok sure, her parents divorced - that must've been sad for her, but thankfully she was able to move away from her unloving and manipulative mother. Then she got her own sister sent to an orphanage (basically) - she doesn't say how she convinced her father and step-mother to do it but I have no doubt she either did something horrendous and framed Iris for it or got Iris involved in one of her sick schemes then covered up her own involvement in it.

Nothing of what either of them went through even remotely justifies all the despicable things they did.

MrBadger

Just finished the trilogy on 3DS, what a great series. I even liked the second game more than I remember as I really hated it the first time I've played it.

Ehh...Morgan gets a bit of sympathy
because of her husband leaving her, but that doesn't justify trying to murder Maya.
I really have no sympathy for Dahlia. The only final boss I really felt bad for was (aai2)
Simon, because he was a victim of every other villain in the game.
And (JFA)
Matt. not because what he did was justified, but one day Shelly De Killer is going to murder him horribly

Ehh...Morgan gets a bit of sympathy
because of her husband leaving her, but that doesn't justify trying to murder Maya.

Also she
murdered Dr Grey with Ini Miney - I haven't played it for a while so I might be forgetting her motive, but wasn't it just for the money?
Well not that any other motive is better, but still.

EDIT: Wait, I remember now.
It was to frame Maya and get her executed.
Yikes.

My man. Maya too sibling like to be anything more to Nick.

Yeah, I totally agree. I hope Iris is at least mentioned in the next game. :/

Yyyyeeeessssss stan the best OTP!

I wish they mentioned what happened with the two of them in either AA4 or AA5, though :(
I really feel like they're priming a revisit to all the spirit medium related plotlines. Pearl's appearance in the AA5 DLC and the reference to Maya make me think that the next main game will bring it all back full force, and hopefully with that more regarding Iris and Phoenix. I'm hoping they kinda do two parallel main arcs in AA6, one regarding the spirit mediums, and one focusing on Apollo and Trucy's family, and then cap it off with two huge end cases, one dedicated to each major story thread.

AA2 time!

First Case:
Yeah Phoenix getting amnesia was kinda funny lol The characters were okay but I do feel bad for the cop to be murdered just because he was wearing his uniform, the worst thing is that the cop girl didn't even look sad for him, just about her safety in the trial.
Hmm, not really sure about the new trial and testimony themes, but they do feel more relaxed. Also, now you can present people as evidence! That's cool.

Second Case: Maaaaaan I love Pearls <3 Don't really remember much of her of AA5 so it's cool to meet here!. Also, she's a Nick x Maya shipper too! Haha. Oh yeah, I remember the Megatama from AA5, so this is how he got it.
Ahhh, Mia, stop stealing bodies, it's creepy. :< Oh my god it's Lotta again lol Honestly I was convinced that Mimi possesing Maya really killed the guy and wondered "huuh does that still make her guilty?" but since Phoenix really was "It WASN'T Maya!" I was convinced. I hope we see fake Hotti again.

Yeah, ever since Morgan started complaining about Maya and her relatives I knew she had something to do with this case. I'm glad she got arrested too. :p And about Mimi and Ini, ever since I saw the initial photo with "Ini" crying for her sister, I noticed she had long hair. And then there was the whole thing at the hospital where she used her license card (seriously, why didn't Phoenix told the court that her card was needed for her surgery and because of that she couldn't have obtained it later?), so yup, "oh my god IS THIS TRUE?!"

So Franciska (I know I'm probably writing her name wrong), her animations look kinda weird but I do love her 'dance' when she proves something to the court. Also, awesome, another person that Phoenix ruined his/her perfect record. xD

Loved this case. But both cases left me wondering about something. ...Do the people that get guilty veredicts get the death penalty? I mean, (AA1, AA2 and AA5 spoilers)
They talk about von Karma as if he's dead, and in the first case the judge says something to the testimony's about a person's life being at risk. But if I remember right, Blackquill and the Ted(?) got the guilty veredict and yet Blackquill was still a prosecutor and Ted was at jail in the last chapter.

AA2 time!

First Case:
Yeah Phoenix getting amnesia was kinda funny lol The characters were okay but I do feel bad for the cop to be murdered just because he was wearing his uniform, the worst thing is that the cop girl didn't even look sad for him, just about her safety in the trial.
Hmm, not really sure about the new trial and testimony themes, but they do feel more relaxed. Also, now you can present people as evidence! That's cool.

Second Case: Maaaaaan I love Pearls <3 Don't really remember much of her of AA5 so it's cool to meet here!. Also, she's a Nick x Maya shipper too! Haha. Oh yeah, I remember the Megatama from AA5, so this is how he got it.
Ahhh, Mia, stop stealing bodies, it's creepy. :< Oh my god it's Lotta again lol Honestly I was convinced that Mimi possesing Maya really killed the guy and wondered "huuh does that still make her guilty?" but since Phoenix really was "It WASN'T Maya!" I was convinced. I hope we see fake Hotti again.

Yeah, ever since Morgan started complaining about Maya and her relatives I knew she had something to do with this case. I'm glad she got arrested too. :p And about Mimi and Ini, ever since I saw the initial photo with "Ini" crying for her sister, I noticed she had long hair. And then there was the whole thing at the hospital where she used her license card (seriously, why didn't Phoenix told the court that her card was needed for her surgery and because of that she couldn't have obtained it later?), so yup, "oh my god IS THIS TRUE?!"

So Franciska (I know I'm probably writing her name wrong), her animations look kinda weird but I do love her 'dance' when she proves something to the court. Also, awesome, another person that Phoenix ruined his/her perfect record. xD
You're about to get to two very interesting cases, both for wildly different reasons. Enjoy. :)

Loved this case. But both cases left me wondering about something. ...Do the people that get guilty veredicts get the death penalty? I mean, (AA1, AA2 and AA5 spoilers)
They talk about von Karma as if he's dead, and in the first case the judge says something to the testimony's about a person's life being at risk. But if I remember right, Blackquill and the Ted(?) got the guilty veredict and yet Blackquill was still a prosecutor and Ted was at jail in the last chapter.
*Mild AA Series Spoilers*

The general assumption used to be that all convicted killers get the death penalty, but this was disproved/retconned. There has been at least one killer from a previous game that has been shown to still be alive and not on death row in a later game in the series. It's most likely done on a case by case basis, but what exactly the criteria is for the death penalty in the AA universe is not currently known.

I really feel like they're priming a revisit to all the spirit medium related plotlines. Pearl's appearance in the AA5 DLC and the reference to Maya make me think that the next main game will bring it all back full force, and hopefully with that more regarding Iris and Phoenix. I'm hoping they kinda do two parallel main arcs in AA6, one regarding the spirit mediums, and one focusing on Apollo and Trucy's family, and then cap it off with two huge end cases, one dedicated to each major story thread.

I agree with all of this completely. Especially that last part.

Does this mean we're actually going to get an AA6? The game of the series I've heard of coming up is the Meiji-era one :S which I'm excited for of course! But that's an entirely separate storyline, so I feel like it would be impossible to tackle these storylines there.

Does this mean we're actually going to get an AA6? The game of the series I've heard of coming up is the Meiji-era one :S which I'm excited for of course! But that's an entirely separate storyline, so I feel like it would be impossible to tackle these storylines there.

IIRC, there's a new AA game made by the AA5 team being made in addition to Dai Gyakuten Saiban. I think that one was actually confirmed to be in development before Takumi even officially revealed his AA title.

It hasn't been said outright but it's looking that way. Capcom has confirmed that both Takumi and Yamazaki's teams are working on Ace Attorney games currently, we know that Takumi is in charge of the Meiji era spin-off, so the general assumption is that Yamazaki is working on the next mainline game. :)

IIRC, there's a new AA game made by the AA5 team being made in addition to Dai Gyakuten Saiban. I think that one was actually confirmed to be in development before Takumi even officially revealed his AA title.

It hasn't been said outright but it's looking that way. Capcom has confirmed that both Takumi and Yamazaki's teams are working on Ace Attorney games currently, we know that Takumi is in charge of the Meiji era spin-off, so the general assumption is that Yamazaki is working on the next mainline game. :)

Ooh thanks guys :) I had no idea. That makes me pretty happy tbh.

Is there a source out there or anywhere that I can read about it? :)

Ooh thanks guys :) I had no idea. That makes me pretty happy tbh.

Is there a source out there or anywhere that I can read about it? :)

This is probably the closest thing to a confirmation:

http://www.destructoid.com/capcom-hints-at-new-ace-attorney-and-more-for-2014-268149.phtml
While many of the announcements were merely teases of what't to come, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies director Takeshi Yamazaki did confirm that his team has begun work on the next title in the series.

Ghost Trick and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 1-3 director, Shu Takumi, additionally confirmed that his team's next title will be announced next year. Whether the title is a follow up to his last game, Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, or an all new IP is anyone's guess at this point.

Kenji Sugiura, producer of Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara, confirmed that another classic from Capcom's historic stable of games will be revived by the end of 2014. What that title is, is still a mystery, but he did specify that the announcement would come around the time the weather warms. If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on a new Ghosts 'n Goblins.

Perhaps the most interesting thing mentioned in the interview -- at least for fighting game fans -- was said by Kazunori Sugiura, Deep Down Producer, regarding how Capcom is set on reaffirming their presence in the fighting game scene.

Takumi's title ended up being the Meiji spin-off, the mystery remaster was REmake HD, and the fighting game thing was probably Street Fighter V. It stands to reason that Yamazaki's game is AA6 proper.

Edit: Well, this post looks hella redundant now.

Here's a Siliconera article focusing on Yamazaki's project announcement. (Takumi's new project is mentioned, but we didn't know it was the spin-off at the time.) And then a GAF thread about the two shortly before Takumi's game was revealed. :)

This is probably the closest thing to a confirmation:

http://www.destructoid.com/capcom-hints-at-new-ace-attorney-and-more-for-2014-268149.phtml

Takumi's title ended up being the Meiji spin-off, the mystery remaster was REmake HD, and the fighting game thing was probably Street Fighter V. It stands to reason that Yamazaki's game is AA6 proper.

Edit: Well, this post looks hella redundant now.

Yay thank you guys!! <3

I love Iwadare's work on the series, but it'd be nice if they rotated composers like they used to. It blew my mind back when I found out that AA4 and Megaman X4 share the same composer.

AA3 and AA4 have especially great soundtracks, IMO <3 So good.
I haven't listened to AA4's OST in a while, so I'm pumped to get to that one. Klavier's Theme slays. ^_^

I love Iwadare's work on the series, but it'd be nice if they rotated composers like they used to. It blew my mind back when I found out that AA4 and Megaman X4 share the same composer.
It would be neat to hear some more AA stuff from Horiyama. Do we know who's doing the music for Dai?

Edit: Yasumasa Kitagawa it seems. (Or maybe not?)

FluxWaveZ

Only good things about Klavier: his theme and his animations.

Worst prosecutor next to Debeste, and the latter redeems himself somewhat.

GSR

It would be neat to hear some more AA stuff from Horiyama. Do we know who's doing the music for Dai?

Edit: Yasumasa Kitagawa it seems, one of the composers that worked on Layton vs. PW. Makes sense.

Huh, when was this confirmed? I must have missed it. (Or heard and then forgot.) All Google's turning up is a couple Wiki pages without sources.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised, mind you. That said I hope even if it is Kitagawa, he stays away from the PLvsPW style a bit - I was really excited for an AA OST taking inspiration from traditional Japanese music, and I'll be a little disappointed if we get Layton-style accordions and the like for most of it again.

FluxWaveZ

I certainly wouldn't be surprised, mind you. That said I hope even if it is Kitagawa, he stays away from the PLvsPW style a bit - I was really excited for an AA OST taking inspiration from traditional Japanese music, and I'll be a little disappointed if we get Layton-style accordions and the like for most of it again.

I liked the idea you proposed that the Japan court beginnings of the game would have a traditional Japanese style of music, with a significant change in arrangements to accompany the Victorian London setting. That's how the music in PLvPW was handled, so that could be how it is with DGS, as well.

GSR

I liked the idea you proposed that the Japan court beginnings of the game would have a traditional Japanese style of music, with a significant change in arrangements to accompany the Victorian London setting. That's how the music in PLvPW was handled, so that could be how it is with DGS, as well.

That's certainly my hope! The main difference here is that PLvsPW used arrangements for the first trial, whereas DGS would (presumably) be using new sets of tracks for both the first case and later cases. It all depends on Capcom's composing budget/time, I guess!

I'm sure we'll get a little cross-pollination in any event. The music from the first teaser trailer seems to be Ryuunosuke's Objection! theme going by the TGS demo, and that one's definitely got a more Japanese flair to it than the second trailer theme.

Huh, when was this confirmed? I must have missed it. (Or heard and then forgot.) All Google's turning up is a couple Wiki pages without sources.

It was listed on the wiki page, but I guess there is no source so it's probably just speculation. (Or maybe it was mentioned in some of the Japanese print media, but I couldn't say.)

GSR

I think it's just someone making a guess, then - searching Google in Japanese isn't giving much of anything either. Hopefully we find out sooner rather than later.

...Speaking of which, we're about due for new DGS info, I think. Monster Hunter Festa is wrapping up this weekend, and assuming DGS isn't a late-2015 release, the window for the usual AA media buildup is closing.

...Speaking of which, we're about due for new DGS info, I think. Monster Hunter Festa is wrapping up this weekend, and assuming DGS isn't a late-2015 release, the window for the usual AA media buildup is closing.
Yeah, hopefully we'll get some more info and a release date soon. (Capcom USA could be super cool and confirm for a western release too while they're at it.)

I'd be really surprised if

1- we get any kind of confirmed relationship in the series among the main cast

2- Iris ever comes back, she worked well in her role in 3-5 but with that gone she really wouldn't have much to do.

I'd be really surprised if

1- we get any kind of confirmed relationship in the series among the main cast

2- Iris ever comes back, she worked well in her role in 3-5 but with that gone she really wouldn't have much to do.
I think there's lots they could do with Iris. The whole spirit medium aspect of the series has a lot of potential for expansion IMO, as well as her potential relationship with Phoenix.

Golnei

I think there's lots they could do with Iris. The whole spirit medium aspect of the series has a lot of potential for expansion IMO, as well as her potential relationship with Phoenix.

Returning to spirit medium plotlines would have to be handled carefully, considering their prevalence in the original trilogy - it'd be easy for a retread to come across as stale, or even cheapen the previous games' cases. And even if they choose to focus on that aspect of the series again, it'd be hard to justify bringing back Iris beyond a mention - most plots of that kind could be executed with only the Feys, and I'd rather they reduce the reliance on cameos with no goal other than fanservice.

Returning to spirit medium plotlines would have to be handled carefully, considering their prevalence in the original trilogy - it'd be easy for a retread to come across as stale, or even cheapen the previous games' cases. And even if they choose to focus on that aspect of the series again, it'd be hard to justify bringing back Iris beyond a mention - most plots of that kind could be executed with only the Feys, and I'd rather they reduce the reliance on cameos with no goal other than fanservice.
It's only fanservice if they let it be though. Any of those characters I feel have enough story potential and strength of character to be worthwhile additions to future cases and plotlines.

The main basis of the original arc involving the spirit medium families are almost all direct and indirect repercussions of the machinations of the former generation. I think a really interesting take going forward would be to see how characters like Maya, Iris and Pearl handle things as the new leaders of the sect.

Top Bottom