• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

If the spirit channeling thing was brought back, that gives a decent chance
that Dahlia will rise from the grave again and continue to wreak havoc upon the earth (and will obviously be in cahoots with the new main villain of the game).

The thought that my favourite villain in gaming could return is just alsjkf;asljfk
it's never going to happen why do I torture myself

Golnei

The main basis of the original arc involving the spirit medium families are almost all direct and indirect repercussions of the machinations of the former generation. I think a really interesting take going forward would be to see how characters like Maya, Iris and Pearl handle things as the new leaders of the sect.

I definitely want to see those implications addressed - Maya and Pearl's relationship to the culture within Kurain and the long-term effects of the earlier games could undoubtedly provide for great material; the absolute worst thing they could do is to bring them back as active protagonists yet not focus on their growth and development, and the effects of their positions' responsibilities. However, Kurain doesn't need to be the centre of the plot to allow that to happen - it should move forward naturally as an extension of the game's universe.

The thought that my favourite villain in gaming could return is just alsjkf;asljfk
it's never going to happen why do I torture myself

Again, I'm not sure if that'd really serve much of a point, despite loving how she was used in AA3.
Though she should definitely be considered for a playable role in the TvC or MvC sequels that will never happen...

I still think Kristoph's the best choice for a returning antagonist, if only because he and Klavier were significantly underdeveloped in their debut - some more focus and backstory could make them much more interesting characters, and retroactively make AJ's plot feel a little less sparse and unfulfilling.

It was surprising that they didn't touch anything from AA4 in AA5 (outside of one thing in an indirect way).

That's why I always find it confusing that people say that you absolutely need to play Apollo before Dual Destinies seeing as besides Apollo, only two characters introduced in that game make a return, and they're pretty minor in this game. The only unresolved plot point from AJ that gets resolved in DD is the issue with the
Black Psyche Locks
, in which the whole thing was pretty much retconned.

On another note, has anyone tried that online game called Attorney Online, where you play with other people on a server and do trials as they go along? I remember seeing some videos of it a while back and then I found this reddit post earlier on.

FluxWaveZ

That's why I always find it confusing that people say that you absolutely need to play Apollo before Dual Destinies seeing as only two characters in that game make a return, and they're pretty minor. The only unresolved plot point is the one you're probably referring to
Black Psyche Locks
, in which the whole thing was pretty much retconned.

You mean three characters? There's Trucy, Apollo and
Klavier
, and I would say the former two are far from minor. Apollo Justice isn't important for Dual Destinies directly in terms of narrative continuity, but it is important if one cares about the state of that world and its characters. If you're playing Ace Attorney, you probably care about those things, and skipping AA4 would mean skipping what Phoenix Wright and his law firm have been through in an 8-year time skip and skipping the kind of person Apollo is in relation to Phoenix Wright.

Klavier
, and I would say the former two are far from minor. Apollo Justice isn't important for Dual Destinies directly in terms of narrative continuity, but it is important if one cares about the state of that world and its characters. If you're playing Ace Attorney, you probably care about those things, and skipping AA4 would mean skipping what Phoenix Wright and his law firm have been through in an 8-year time skip and skipping the kind of person Apollo is in relation to Phoenix Wright.
Yeah, I think there's quite a few major plot elements in AA4 that are crucial to getting the most enjoyment out of AA5.
Specifically the seeing the "fall" of Phoenix, and getting the background of Apollo and Trucy.
Having all this info makes the development Phoenix and Apollo get in AA5 that more meaningful.

Klavier

Yeah I messed up. I meant to say besides Apollo, seeing as his role in Dual Destinies was pretty big. Trucy was
pretty much used a plot device in the last case though
In AJ, none of the characters besides Phoenix
really feel like they're doing anything other than being a part of his plan
and Apollo only really gets a lot of character in DD anyway. I'm not trying to shit on AJ, I just remember seeing a lot of people saying that it was vital to understand DD.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Picked up Apollo Justice again after dropping it about a year ago in the third case. How many times did they show that crappy music fmv? 6 times? I was glad it was finally over. I hate Lamiroir's neck so much. Nearing the finale of the final case now and that one's much better, it's going places.
Gavin was the original client for Misham's forgery
. Overall I didn't enjoy this like the original, but this final case really feels like classic AA.

Then I can finally start Dual Destinies!

Picked up Apollo Justice again after dropping it about a year ago in the third case. How many times did they show that crappy music fmv? 6 times? I was glad it was finally over. I hate Lamiroir's neck so much. Nearing the finale of the final case now and that one's much better, it's going places.
Gavin was the original client for Misham's forgery
. Overall I didn't enjoy this like the original, but this final case really feels like classic AA.

Then I can finally start Dual Destinies!
The final case of AJ is pretty crazy. I would suggest playing Ace Attorney Investigations 1 & 2 before jumping into Dual Destinies if that's an option for you. Both are worth your time, and AAI2 is one of the best games in the whole series IMO. (Since AAI2 hasn't gotten an official US release yet, there are a few ways you can still play/experience the story if you're interested.)

The real big issue for the final AJ case for me ignoring the snooker loopy
time travel evidence segment
is how
worthless Apollo is during the finale
. If the plan was to make Apollo the star of the series going forward then
why would you have Phoenix hijack the second half of the case, going so far as to making the only thing Apollo does during the ending is presenting the evidence he knows is a copy that he got from Phoenix off screen. 30 minutes after presenting this copy evidence the bad guy loses on an extremely convenient technicality that they're doing a test run trial by jury meaning definite evidence isn't needed. The Gavin brothers do 90% of the talking and it's even Klavier who reminds everyone of the trial by jury.

FluxWaveZ

I try not to get weird things get to me, but this comment from another thread is infuriating to me, for some reason:
to be fair Phoenix wright will reach that point someday. They prod that angle often enough (mia pearl mode, magic panties)

Must be a lot of restraint happening to not have boob jiggle once they went 3d.
Seriously? We've got people in that thread arguing that Hyperdimension Neptunia looks the same as Ace Attorney, and that it's contradictory to like how AA looks and not how Hyperdimension Neptunia looks, especially since one of Ace Attorney's selling points are anime girls? Christ.

...Speaking of which, we're about due for new DGS info, I think. Monster Hunter Festa is wrapping up this weekend, and assuming DGS isn't a late-2015 release, the window for the usual AA media buildup is closing.

I've been seeing them tweet a lot about its presence at that show these days:
B_iPQMoUsAAwMB4.jpg:large
It'd be cool to have a release window, at least.

GSR

I I've been seeing them tweet a lot about its presence at that show these days:

It'd be cool to have a release window, at least.

You're not missing much - its main presence is the same Joint Reasoning demo we've had since TGS, and they specifically have signs asking people not to spoil anything from it (eg. what the Russian man's true identity is). So it's been essentially no news out of there. (They also have the TGS Special Court video playing, but of course no recording allowed.)

Hopefully now that the Festa's wrapping up (except I think some MH-only thing in April?) they'll start putting out new news. I also imagine we'll see that demo on the eShop someday, but probably not for a few months.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished the game. Pretty good, but it doesn't come close the original trilogy imo, especially coming right after T&T. Gotta admit I didn't like the 'sensing' mechanic as well. There were numerous times I had the right screen and segment, but still didn't see the small thing to focus on (like
Lamiroirs neck
grrr)

The final case of AJ is pretty crazy. I would suggest playing Ace Attorney Investigations 1 & 2 before jumping into Dual Destinies if that's an option for you. Both are worth your time, and AAI2 is one of the best games in the whole series IMO. (Since AAI2 hasn't gotten an official US release yet, there are a few ways you can still play/experience the story if you're interested.)

I want to try out Investigations at some point, but feel like completing the main series first. Or are there references to those games in DD?

The Investigations games sound interesting though, because you're on the other side of the fence. I've already listened to some tracks and Investigations 1 has an incredible 'tell the truth' track.

BassForever said:
The real big issue for the final AJ case for me ignoring the
snooker loopy time travel evidence segment is how worthless Apollo is during the finale. If the plan was to make Apollo the star of the series going forward then why would you have Phoenix hijack the second half of the case, going so far as to making the only thing Apollo does during the ending is presenting the evidence he knows is a copy that he got from Phoenix off screen. 30 minutes after presenting this copy evidence the bad guy loses on an extremely convenient technicality that they're doing a test run trial by jury meaning definite evidence isn't needed. The Gavin brothers do 90% of the talking and it's even Klavier who reminds everyone of the trial by jury.

I agree, this was still
a big Phoenix show in the end

I want to try out Investigations at some point, but feel like completing the main series first. Or are there references to those games in DD?

The Investigations games sound interesting though, because you're on the other side of the fence. I've already listened to some tracks and Investigations 1 has an incredible 'tell the truth' track.
There's nothing huge that links the AAI sub-series and AA5. There are a few small references but it's mostly cosmetic. There is one plotpoint from the AAI games that will be spoiled in AA5, but you won't know it when playing, and it's nothing that isn't easy to assume the outcome for yourself so I don't think it's anything outrageous.

If you do want to play the AAI games though, it might still be a good idea to play them in release order before AA5 to give you a bit of a break in playing style.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
There's nothing huge that links the AAI sub-series and AA5. There are a few small references but it's mostly cosmetic. There is one plotpoint from the AAI games that will be spoiled in AA5, but you won't know it when playing, and it's nothing that isn't easy to assume the outcome for yourself so I don't think it's anything outrageous.

If you do want to play the AAI games though, it might still be a good idea to play them in release order before AA5 to give you a bit of a break in playing style.

Ok, I just ordered the first AAI game and I'll probably play that first then. I'll be taking a break either way, so it'll be a week or so before I start it.

You can only play a AAI2 fan translation through emulator right?

Ok, I just ordered the first AAI game and I'll probably play that first then. I'll be taking a break either way, so it'll be a week or so before I start it.

You can only play a AAI2 fan translation through emulator right?
I don't know the specifics of the AAI2 set up but I know some others here have done it. If you don't want to go that route there's also a really great fully translated lets play of it on YouTube by dowolf. He even pauses the videos to let you figure out the Logic yourself if you like. That's how I "played" the game.

I personally played AAI2 on my flashcart. I haven't really emulated since I got the thing, although I need to replace it at some point as its no longer supported.

I originally played through AA1-AJ on emulator before I had a DS back in 2007, and they worked pretty well on it, even back then on a laptop that was a couple years old. I imagine it's better now with faster systems and hopefully better emulation/

So like..

Every time I replay AA4 (which is a lot, because I'm weird), I get genuinely shocked every single time at
how much of a douche Zak Gramarye is.
. Just my personal opinion, of course..

DaBoss

So like..

Every time I replay AA4 (which is a lot, because I'm weird), I get genuinely shocked every single time at
how much of a douche Zak Gramarye is.
. Just my personal opinion, of course..
I don't blame you. It surprises me as well when I think about it.

I don't blame you. It surprises me as well when I think about it.

Right? I mean.. (major spoilers)

He abandons his 8-year-old daughter, destroys Phoenix's life/job, comes back, says he doesn't want to see his daughter one more time..
The list goes on.

I also wonder, because
Trucy doesn't have a mother. And after Zak disappeared, Phoenix didn't talk to Trucy in his office and take her in for another week or two. She has no living relatives, so was she like.. Living on her own? At the age of eight?

Idk.

GG Zak.

DaBoss

He abandons his 8-year-old daughter, destroys Phoenix's life/job, comes back, says he doesn't want to see his daughter one more time..
The list goes on.

I also wonder, because
Trucy doesn't have a mother. And after Zak disappeared, Phoenix didn't talk to Trucy in his office and take her in for another week or two. She has no living relatives, so was she like.. Living on her own? At the age of eight?

Idk.

GG Zak.
The hilarious part is that
he was so bitter about losing that poker game against Phoenix after all these years. And then to top it off, he was so determined to beat Phoenix that he went as far as getting a dealer himself to help him cheat.

And I didn't even realize that second part till you mentioned it. What a mess lol.

The list goes on.

I also wonder, because

Idk.

GG Zak.

Obligatory: http://imgur.com/a/JB6sC (spoilers)

The hilarious part is that
he was so bitter about losing that poker game against Phoenix after all these years. And then to top it off, he was so determined to beat Phoenix that he went as far as getting a dealer himself to help him cheat.

And I didn't even realize that second part till you mentioned it. What a mess lol.
Ugh right! i forgot to mention
the whole cheating thing!

I just can't with him. :| Least favourite character in the entire series. LOL

hahahahahahaha.

Accurate.

Finished my Apollo Justice OST listen through. I forgot just how many really amazing songs that game has. Probably the most underrated soundtrack for the series as a whole IMO.

AAI1 next. :)

Ahhh, I forgot about (AA1/AA2 spoilers)
Edgeworth. So huh, apparently he's dead or something? Why does Phoenix acts like that? They say that after the von Karma trial he left his job and dissapeared? I mean, they kinda reference that in the fifth case of AA1, but in one of credits stuff they show Edgey and Phoenix still debating in court.

Case three beaten! AHHH, FAVORITE CASE EVER!

My god the characters were amazing in this
Loved every single one fo them (except kinda Regina but I will talk about it). Moe's design and attitude are so awesome. Specially how his second mouth acts like his first too! Haha. Do i even need to talk about Ben and Trilo Quist? (Specially when Trilo 'explodes' in court!). Acro is the kind of character I just can't bring myself to hate.. Why did he have to be the murderer? T_T The ringmaster and Bat seemed like nice characters too.

About the case
Really like how it was executed. I was hoping that Regina would be faking her innocence and the note was left by her, seeking revenge against her father for killing León, but oh well. The only far-fetched thing was how the cape got attached to the bust. lol

Can't believe every bad thing happened because of Regina (Bat, León, the conflict of Trilo and Max, the Ringmaster, Max, Acro). Like, seriously, I saw what happened if you choose that Acro was still seeking revenge and was like "Yeah Wright, you tell her!"

And huh, Edgey is back baby!

You're about to get to two very interesting cases, both for wildly different reasons. Enjoy. :)

*Mild AA Series Spoilers*

The general assumption used to be that all convicted killers get the death penalty, but this was disproved/retconned. There has been at least one killer from a previous game that has been shown to still be alive and not on death row in a later game in the series. It's most likely done on a case by case basis, but what exactly the criteria is for the death penalty in the AA universe is not currently known.
That's a relief. Just thinking that a prosecutor's job is basically to kill someone.... Still, (AA1 and AA2 spoilers)
the way they talk about von Karma seems like he's dead D: and Phoenix and Maya are dicks about it "Blah, it won't bring him back, just face it"
. And you were the Nekomaru avatar guy from the DR2 thread, right? Awesome to see you here!

Ahhh, I forgot about (AA1/AA2 spoilers)
Edgeworth. So huh, apparently he's dead or something? Why does Phoenix acts like that? They say that after the von Karma trial he left his job and dissapeared? I mean, they kinda reference that in the fifth case of AA1, but in one of credits stuff they show Edgey and Phoenix still debating in court.

Case three beaten! AHHH, FAVORITE CASE EVER!

My god the characters were amazing in this
Loved every single one fo them (except kinda Regina but I will talk about it). Moe's design and attitude are so awesome. Specially how his second mouth acts like his first too! Haha. Do i even need to talk about Ben and Trilo Quist? (Specially when Trilo 'explodes' in court!). Acro is the kind of character I just can't bring myself to hate.. Why did he have to be the murderer? T_T The ringmaster and Bat seemed like nice characters too.

About the case
Really like how it was executed. I was hoping that Regina would be faking her innocence and the note was left by her, seeking revenge against her father for killing León, but oh well. The only far-fetched thing was how the cape got attached to the bust. lol

Can't believe every bad thing happened because of Regina (Bat, León, the conflict of Trilo and Max, the Ringmaster, Max, Acro). Like, seriously, I saw what happened if you choose that Acro was still seeking revenge and was like "Yeah Wright, you tell her!"

And huh, Edgey is back baby!

That's a relief. Just thinking that a prosecutor's job is basically to kill someone.... Still, (AA1 and AA2 spoilers)
the way they talk about von Karma seems like he's dead D: and Phoenix and Maya are dicks about it "Blah, it won't bring him back, just face it"
. And you were the Nekomaru avatar guy from the DR2 thread, right? Awesome to see you here!
I think in Von Karma's case he probably was executed. The severity of his crimes probably mandated it in AA land.

Yeah, I did have the Nekomaru av. He's my favourite DR character. Ace Attorney was my introduction to VNs, so I've been a fan for a loooooong time. (Even before the series came out in English.)

MrBadger

Finished my Apollo Justice OST listen through. I forgot just how many really amazing songs that game has. Probably the most underrated soundtrack for the series as a whole IMO.

AAI1 next. :)

Apollo Justice probably has my favourite cross examination allegro theme (if we don't count presto themes). It's such a good soundtrack and it feels very stylised around the events of the game. It really does disappoint me that Dual Destinies decided to ignore or change back all the changes Apollo Justice made.

I think in Von Karma's case he probably was executed. The severity of his crimes probably mandated it in AA land.

Yeah, I did have the Nekomaru av. He's my favourite DR character. Ace Attorney was my introduction to VNs, so I've been a fan for a loooooong time. (Even before the series came out in English.)
That's too bad. Loved von Karma as an antagonist.

Yeah I always enjoyed reading your posts (unless it was bashing on Kazuichi :p)
I think that's the first time I saw someone say 2-3 was one of their most favorite cases ever.
So people dislike it?!

daydream

Banned
It's a good case, people are silly. AA2 is widely underappreciated, anyway, and it's high time for a reassessment (in conjunction with taking 3 down a notch).

Edit: Oh, I remembered wanting to bring this up: Are we all in agreement that Case 3 in AAI2 is goddamn incredible?

yeah i'd never really say anything ace attorney is decidedly bad, but cases 2-2 and 2-3 are thoroughly middling imo. didn't think the mysteries were particularly interesting and i'm not a fan of any of the characters introduced.

including pearl

Yeah, the courtroom parts with Moe and the constant backtracking make that circus case really unbearable. The conclusion to that case, however, is incredible. And I'm not talking about the scene after the courtroom part ends.

That's too bad. Loved von Karma as an antagonist.

Yeah I always enjoyed reading your posts (unless it was bashing on Kazuichi :p)
Thanks.

RE: Von Karma, you'll really enjoy the Ace Attorney Investigations games then. He appears in both during flashbacks, and these flashbacks are pretty extensive.

I think my favourite third case is 3-3, if only because of how memorable all of thr characters are (Furio Tigre is the best non-final villain in the series, IMO).

Worst would have to be 4-3, because there's no goddamn way that the case would ever make it to court in the first place. Literally every piece of evidence the prosecution presents points away from the defendant being guilty, rather than toward.

I think my favourite third case is 3-3, if only because of how memorable all of thr characters are (Furio Tigre is the best non-final villain in the series, IMO).

Worst would have to be 4-3, because there's no goddamn way that the case would ever make it to court in the first place. Literally every piece of evidence the prosecution presents points away from the defendant being guilty, rather than toward.

Seriously, holy shit. My suspension of disbelief can go so far, but that case damn near broke it. The constant playback of that stupid video certainly didn't help.

Seriously, holy shit. My suspension of disbelief can go so far, but that case damn near broke it. The constant playback of that stupid video certainly didn't help.

It felt like they had a different defendant in mind while writing the case but then switched it to Machi at the last minute. Soooooo much of the prosecution's case can be debunked simply by saying "he is a small, BLIND child who you claim performed feats that 99% of grown adults would lack the strength to pull off."

Case 3 is the best filler case in the series by far. You can tell how much fun was had writing that case.

Soooooo much of the prosecution's case can be debunked simply by saying "he is a small, BLIND child who you claim performed feats that 99% of grown adults would lack the strength to pull off."

This is exactly why that case doesn't really sit well for me at all.

I am pretty sure many people just say it, because it's a popular opinion.

I'm pretty sure it's a popular opinion because many people hate it.

When I first played it, Regina was easily my most hated character in the series. Not to mention Moe, Trilo and Max who were all awful. I did really like Acro though.

The second time I played it, I actually saw Regina in a different light, and felt a bit sorry for her. But then again as mentioned above she was the cause of everything bad happening so...

yeah i'd never really say anything ace attorney is decidedly bad, but cases 2-2 and 2-3 are thoroughly middling imo. didn't think the mysteries were particularly interesting and i'm not a fan of any of the characters introduced.

including pearl

What are you saying, 2-2 was amazing. Dat twist! And I thought the villains were really cool. Fair enough if you don't like Pearl though.

Top Bottom