• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

Sölf

Has Capcom ever commented on not localizing that game? It seems so weird: every other AA game has been translated, except that one.

Regarding translations, Germany is a fun place to live in.

We got AA 1, then AA 2. Then it seems AA 3 wouldn't happen, because there was no release. Then we got AJ and some time later we finally got AA 3. All of those had german text, I think. Investigations was released here with only english text, same thing happend to AA 5 (and that was of course digital only).

But that AA3/AJ release thing was probably their biggest screwup. I am not really sure if AJ spoilers something from AA 3, but that was definitly strange, at least.

Truth.

Poor kid got overshadowed in his own game ;-;. I had no problems with his character in 4 besides that tho.

Right? ;_; So sad. Even though I still loved the game of course! And I also had no issues with his character, otherwise! Although i'm biased because he's my favourite hahaha!

I loved Ema in AA4. I need more of her in my life LOL

GSR

Random thing I came upon (in relation to the upcoming Famitsu issue next week for DGS): the cover of the Famitsu issue released on July 25th, 2013, featuring AA5:

I remember that! I know they released the full version of that art somewhere, but for the life of me I don't know where.

Time for the AA5 soundtrack, then my series OST marathon will be completed. (I might throw in Layton vs. PW.)

They really need to do a fancy series soundtrack boxset, that would be incredible.

Time for the AA5 soundtrack, then my series OST marathon will be completed. (I might throw in Layton vs. PW.)

They really need to do a fancy series soundtrack boxset, that would be incredible.

That'd be great. I still kick myself for not getting the Breath of Fire Special Box set. It's damn near impossible to find at all these days.

That'd be great. I still kick myself for not getting the Breath of Fire Special Box set. It's damn near impossible to find at all these days.
Yeah, that would of been awesome. BoF has some killer music.

Listening to the AA5 OST reminds me of how different it is really. The general style of the music remains, but the orchestration really makes it unique. I do tend to prefer the older style, but I like this a lot too.

GSR

They did release AA1-AA3's soundtracks in a box set, they've just never gathered up the rest.

Minor updates about NicoNico Chou Kaigi: the playable demo there will be the same one on display at Jump Festa and Monster Hunter Festa (eg. the same one we've seen since TGS), but the livestream (and presumably stage show) will be covering new material.

They did release AA1-AA3's soundtracks in a box set, they've just never gathered up the rest.

Minor updates about NicoNico Chou Kaigi: the playable demo there will be the same one on display at Jump Festa and Monster Hunter Festa (eg. the same one we've seen since TGS), but the livestream (and presumably stage show) will be covering new material.
Maybe they're waiting for the next big series anniversary before doing something like a mega box set.

Good to hear that we'll definitely be getting some new content/info revealed for Dai. I'm just sitting here super bored, listening to AA music, wishing we had some new stuff to pine over. Soon, I guess. :/

Edit: I forgot that some of the songs on the AA5 OST have "endings". Neat.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Sorry for the double post, but I was just reminded that Apollo's Theme in AA5 is PERFECTION. Thank you.

Ooh yeah this is a great theme!

I don't see where all this 'Apollo is great in AA5' is coming from, but that probably all happens in cases 4 and/or 5? Because there's nothing in the first 3 cases that really makes him stand out.

FluxWaveZ

I liked Apollo more in AA5 than in AA4 even before chapter 4. Being able to contrast his attitude with the other protagonists and their inner thoughts, as well as seeing how he acts from the perspective of another character was cool and made me appreciate him more. In AA4, he practically seemed like a "lesser Phoenix Wright" rather than his own character.

Dugna

Is it me or is the trilogy just really sped up? I played through the first AA in under 2 days yet it takes me like a day to go through a case in DD, the text just moves a sluggish rate sometimes in DD.

Finishing up my Ace Attorney OST marathon, I'm just reminded that this series has some seriously amazing music. And when you think that these incredible soundtracks are attached to some truly phenomenal games, and that the music and the narratives work so flawlessly together, it really solidifies how important the right composition is in creating the proper atmosphere for memorable experiences in the medium.

tl;dr: AA music is neat.

Golnei

Finishing up my Ace Attorney OST marathon, I'm just reminded that this series has some seriously amazing music. And when you think that these incredible soundtracks are attached to some truly phenomenal games, and that the music and the narratives work so flawlessly together, it really solidifies how important the right composition is in creating the proper atmosphere for memorable experiences in the medium.

tl;dr: AA music is neat.

It's definitely one of the most consistently impressive aspects of the series; both in isolation and when integrated into the games. And while the continued releases of orchestral and piano arrangements are fantastic, we're overdue for a new jazz album - the AAI games in particular have a few themes that'd go perfectly with a live ensemble.

It's definitely one of the most consistently impressive aspects of the series; both in isolation and when integrated into the games. And while the continued releases of orchestral and piano arrangements are fantastic, we're overdue for a new jazz album - the AAI games in particular have a few themes that'd go perfectly with a live ensemble.
A new jazz album would be fantastic. I'm also really curious to see what direction the soundtrack is gonna go for Dai. Just the setting alone has a lot of potential to inspire some really great music.

I can't wait for the media blitz to start. O_O

GSR

Is Iwadare doing the soundtrack for DGS?

I would guess no, if only because he's so strongly attached to Yamazaki's team at this point, and (last we heard) they're working on their own next entry in the series.

There's no source for Kitagawa, but that's the most likely guess given how many other cues DGS seems to be taking from PLvsPW. (I'll be interested, once DGS releases, to see how much cross-pollination there is between the Capcom half of the PLvsPW team and the DGS team.)

I would guess no, if only because he's so strongly attached to Yamazaki's team at this point, and (last we heard) they're working on their own next entry in the series.

There's no source for Kitagawa, but that's the most likely guess given how many other cues DGS seems to be taking from PLvsPW. (I'll be interested, once DGS releases, to see how much cross-pollination there is between the Capcom half of the PLvsPW team and the DGS team.)
The music in the last trailer definitely sounds like Kitagawa's stuff. I think it's a safe bet.

GSR

The music in the last trailer definitely sounds like Kitagawa's stuff. I think it's a safe bet.

Very true. (Also, I know I've said it plenty of times before, but I really hope there's a decent amount of Meiji-inspired music like the first movement in that trailer; the music that plays as Holmes and Watson are introduced is a little too close to PLvsPW's soundscape.)

Very true. (Also, I know I've said it plenty of times before, but I really hope there's a decent amount of Meiji-inspired music like the first movement in that trailer; the music that plays as Holmes and Watson are introduced is a little too close to PLvsPW's soundscape.)
I agree, I would love to hear a strong eastern influence in the OST. But at least for now, it seems like the bulk of the game will be in Europe, so I imagine we'll get a healthy dose of that Laytonesque sound too.

daxy

Fell into an Ace Attorney sized rabbit hole over the course of the week. Picked up the trilogy on 3DS on sale. Played it a bit and I really liked it, so I got Dual Destinies too. Played some more, read up on some things and got Apollo Justice to fill the gap between trilogy and DD. Got to the final case of AA1 and started really liking Edgeworth as a character, so I got Investigations. Might pick up Layton vs. Wright down the line. It's a damn shame AAI 2 didn't make it over to the west!

daydream

Banned
Fell into an Ace Attorney sized rabbit hole over the course of the week. Picked up the trilogy on 3DS on sale. Played it a bit and I really liked it, so I got Dual Destinies too. Played some more, read up on some things and got Apollo Justice to fill the gap between trilogy and DD. Got to the final case of AA1 and started really liking Edgeworth as a character, so I got Investigations. Might pick up Layton vs. Wright down the line. It's a damn shame AAI 2 didn't make it over to the west!

You did good, friend. Keep us posted on your journey.

Ooh yeah this is a great theme!

I don't see where all this 'Apollo is great in AA5' is coming from, but that probably all happens in cases 4 and/or 5? Because there's nothing in the first 3 cases that really makes him stand out.

Considering Apollo was a brick in AA4 the any amount of character AA5 gives him is a huge improvement

There's options for AAI2 in English. You can import and use the fan patch if that's something you'd be interested in, otherwise there's a really great fully translated Let's Play of AAI2 on YouTube by dowolf that even let's you "play" along in a sense.

I'd definitely suggest using one of those methods when you get to that point in the series, because AAI2 is really amazing. Every AA fan should experience it in some way.

Masked Man

I said wow
So, I was super excited for the Gyakuten Saiban Meets Again Orchestra & Jazz Album, but it looks like it's just a reprint of the original CDs as a two-disc set. Now I'm just super disappointed. ;___;

AA3 Case 2
Woah, I finally ended it after a week because aside from exam week and projects, I ended up stuck in
the pressing one-shot testimony (would reset the 3DS after reading "About your last remark")
so I can't really do a full opinion of the case, but...

Wow! I can't believe there's finally a NOT murder case! Also, you can now present Phoenix to people!

Haha, really loved Ron's character. Um, not really, I think.. And of course Luke Atmey too! His design is so....wow. Wasn't expecting to see Pearl's backstory explained. This Adrian seems completely different than the one from last game. When I saw her in the beginning of the case I was like "Ugh, dammit, not again" but I guess she now grew on me, and made me appreciate and miss her old personality. :p Wow, Mia sure seems more important in this game and I love it! Was surprised at how many people would react if presenting her photo, specially poor Gumshoe's comment about her.

Have I mentioned I love Godot? And have I mentioned that one of the best moment in the series is when he throws his coffe at Phoenix and Phoenix's sprite of it?! Dude, that visor! Even the Judge is thinking "What the heck is with this guy?"

Wow, when that case ended I was super convinced that the chapter was gonna end. I really love these kind of surprises. When Ron talked about the guy that hit him, I totally recognized it was Luke's sprite, but the fact that he admitted to be Mask DeMasque convinced so I chose his wife first. First, it would have been heartbreaking if it was her so I'm glad she wasn't, and second, wow, unique dialogue for getting something wrong, I'm impressed. Glad to see Payne is still in the job, bu the most important thing is.... DID YOU SEE THAT? THAT JUDGE?! A DIFFERENT JUDGE?!

Yes Maya, we understand you think Kane is ugly, SHUT UP, the guy is dead, stop freaking out about him. Hmm, didn't Luke say before his last testimony that he was informed about the button and general stuff about the case despite being in his trial? I guess that didn't happened since Phoenix's main weapon was that he couldn't have known unless he was at the office that night. Luke's animation are amazing.

I'm gonna come out and say the only thing I didn't like about this case was how Phoenix's and Larry's relationship was handled. I mean, in the first game, if I remember right, during the first when Phoenix talks about him, he refers to him as his best friend or at least a really close friend, and tells Mia he's the reason he became a lawyer, and during the fourth he really express his gratitude to him and even says he's doing it for both Edgeworth and Larry but not Maya (which in turn she gets mad). And now? "Uh, he's not that close of a friend to me. Plus I haven't contacted him for about two years" "Our friendship? That was then and this is now! I tell ya!" Even Maya is weirded out by this.

Even if the previous negative comment stands out from my opinion of the case, this is still one of my favorite cases in the trilogy, and is DEFINITELY the most funniest of all! With Godot around, and specially the investigation phases, everytime something funny happened I wanted to take a screenshot of it and post it in Miiverse, haha. Be it from Phoenix talking about how the toilet was a clean and shiny as the Judge's head, or Phoenix getting sad about Maya's comment when presenting his photo, or the
other
Judge's surprised face, to Gumshoe in general.

^ Glad you're enjoying the game MMM, the best is still to come. :)

Y'all, only a few more days and we finally get some more Dai Gyakuten Saiban info. I'm so excited! :D

(And a certain teaser site that finally had a promising update possibly related to another VN series means the next few weeks should be pretty sweet for mystery ADV fans.)

Is there any way for case selection? I know that by finishing a case you can do it but by the time you complete the final case it doesn't go back to that screen. Also, if I select Start a New Game just to play the first case again, will it delete the last case's save point?

Am I the only that didn't realize that the save mechanic would actually let you save and resume as many times a you wanted? The way the game tells you about it reminds of Persona Q's quicksave, so I didn't use it until Case 5 of the first game haha. And luckily the only time I lost all of my 5 question marks was during the last trial of Case 4
I was so dumb that I forgot I had the metal detector

Kinda dissapointing that the only AA1 had unique art depicting the case after you beat it :( Just having character's artwork and some art from the case is boring.

^ Glad you're enjoying the game MMM, the best is still to come. :)
Thanks! That's awesome to hear. I'll prob divide my posts into investigation and trial phases while playing so that I won't have a hard time remembering all the awesome stuff that happens during these. Tomorrow I'm gonna try to search for the Apollo and Edgeworth games online.

Once you've unlocked a case, it's available for good. Doesn't matter if you start a new game or anything.

Edit: Wait I think I read that wrong, yeah, if you're mid way through a case and then start a new game and save, it will overwrite it. You'll have to start from the beginning of whatever case it was again.

Last week's Famitsu leaks - info, not scans - were unusually early (late Sunday evening in the US.) Hoping for the same deal this week!
Yes. YES! Please happen again. I need it.

Ended up doing a Layton vs. PW OST listen through too. Tons of great songs in that game. It'll be interesting to hear Dai's soundtrack and how it compares if it indeed turns out to be the same composer. (Which I'm pretty sure will happen given what we've heard.)

Cody_D165

Banned
You guys might like this. I cosplayed Godot for a local anime con in my state last weekend ;)

7T03o1H.jpg

Lusankya

(And a certain teaser site that finally had a promising update possibly related to another VN series means the next few weeks should be pretty sweet for mystery ADV fans.)

Oh dear, it's finally showing 0301. Is there a new thread about this "countdown", or any place to discuss this since the old one was closed?

GSR

Oh dear, it's finally showing 0301. Is there a new thread about this "countdown", or any place to discuss this since the old one was closed?

It's been mentioned in the VN community thread, but after the last thread devolved into wild mass guessing and hype stairlift, I think the mods have opted to wait for an actual look at what's being teased before that particular merry-go-round can get going again.

Top Bottom