• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

Golnei

tumblr_inline_neal7jozer1qkpnrw.gif

Wrong crossover, but still. A shame the second Capcom position in Smash is already accounted for...

The quality of the scenes, at least judging from those screenshots, looks like a big step ip from the ones in AA5. I'm very pleased with what I see.

Assuming a localisation does occur; I hope the voice direction improves along with the animation quality - it'd be a shame if every animated cutscene could only be tolerated with the volume set to zero again.

Phoenix & Maya in PxZ2? Sweet. I can't wait to see their combos.

Assuming a localisation does occur; I hope the voice direction improves along with the animation quality - it'd be a shame if every animated cutscene could only be tolerated with the volume set to zero again.
I was just talking about that yesterday with BlueBadger. Some of the casting and vocal direction choices in AA5 were pretty mind boggling to say the least. Hopefully this time they'll actually look at the characters when making casting decisions, instead of randomly drawing from a hat.

Though really if the entire game was voiced by a text to speech program at least it means we get the game, but I'll hope for the best in that respect. Dai looks to be shaping up into something really great and I'd love to see Capcom give it the proper treatment. It was obvious that AA5's localization wasn't given all the polish it deserved.

GSR

The sudden influx of Russians (actual spoiler)
and waiters
is giving me flashbacks to 4-1.

Also, "Meatloaf Stroganoff". It's like they were making a character just for you, HL.

Nyoro SF

That preview of case 2 on Siliconera is a serious spoiler if you're a Sherlock Holmes fan, so don't read it. I should've known better. :(

That preview of case 2 on Siliconera is a serious spoiler if you're a Sherlock Holmes fan, so don't read it. I should've known better. :(
Yeah, I made sure to mark it as such. I'm not familiar with that particular story so it wasn't spoiled for me, but definitely something to be cautious of. Though maybe they'll throw in a swerve.

I'm sure they'll have some twists on the original stories. It would be kind of dumb if being familiar with the source material spoiled every case.

Lusankya

I'm sure they'll have some twists on the original stories. It would be kind of dumb if being familiar with the source material spoiled every case.

Yeah, that makes sense. I mean you don't even have to read the siliconera article but just start the case to know it's based on that short story.

Bowl0l

So with Sherlock Holmes in this game I guess we can't throw out the possibility that Moriarty is the big bad of the game.
My instinct says Sherlock Holmes is the final villain. If not mistaken, in one version of Sherlock Holmes novel, Holmes is actually Moriaty.

Bowl0l

as long it gets a physical release, i will buy it but i wouldn't mind a cheaper eshop version. If Capcom release cheaper by $10 eshop and $40 physical copy, i will buy both day one.

The game in general reminds me of the general direction AA/Layton had so the boxart style seems fitting.
It also looks great, can't wait to not see it on my shelf when the game is restricted to the e Shop.
Though at this point I should just be happy if we get it at all.

GSR

Yeah, pretty much every part of the game we've seen screams "this is the game PLvsPW would've been if it had been entirely focused on Ace Attorney" - so it's not surprising they're carrying that over to the boxart.

Speaking of which, guesses as to the other characters shown: guy in the back is related to the prosecutors' office (he's got a similar, but different, brooch to Barok - also, obligatory Moriarty guess), bottom-left guy in back is a detective or policeman (Lestrade?), bottom-right is... let's just guess Mycroft (you can see his hair's blonde in a higher-res version). Girl on the right might be a Baker Street Irregular, since we saw her talking to Iris in the last issue of Famitsu.

D-Man

As someone who was personally a bit disappointed with PLvsPW (especially with the ending), I'm really glad that DGS is what Takumi wanted PLvsPW to be, without Level-5's restrictions. Now let's just hope that Capcom has a localization announcement ready for us during E3. That is seriously one of the things I'm hoping they announce.

As someone who was personally a bit disappointed with PLvsPW (especially with the ending), I'm really glad that DGS is what Takumi wanted PLvsPW to be, without Level-5's restrictions. Now let's just hope that Capcom has a localization announcement ready for us during E3. That is seriously one of the things I'm hoping they announce.
Are Capcom gonna be at E³ this year?

GSR

Thing is if we're going by the usual Ace Attorney marketing, we've seen all the trailers there are to see at this point, beyond maybe a short gameplay one. General rule of thumb (per AA4, AAI, AAI2, AA5) seems to be "intro trailer at TGS, voiced trailer with all major characters later, maybe a gameplay systems trailer", and we've already gotten those.

Of course, I wouldn't object to a new trailer!

In any event though, the fact they're showing off the third case seems to suggest at least 5 in the game.

Lusankya

In any event though, the fact they're showing off the third case seems to suggest at least 5 in the game.

Totally. I think all AA games that previewed the first three cases had 5 cases in the end. See AAI1+2 and AA5. PLvAA only showed the first two cases and AJ as well (according to the official site at least).

Also when you look back at the DGS Spring trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7fl2xDedO8) you can read the following in the beginning:
"A murder in a carriage as it ran through dense london fog in the dead of night. My friend, Mr. Sherlock Holmes, once said of the incident,
"I believe that perhaps that case was indeed the 'prelude', the beginning of a long concerto that impressive Japanese exchange student and I were to play together."

We know already that the carriage incident is case 3 and I don't think it would make sense for that to be the beginning of "a long concerto", if the next case (case 4) was already the last case. Also case 3 is the first case to take place in London and the first case (I guess) where we meet Iris and Barok van Zieks. I think they should be around for longer than only two cases.

So what I think of the game structure:

Case 1 - Introducing Ryunosuke and the other Japanese characters, explaining the court procedures to newbies. Showing the reason for the travel to England.
Case 2 - Introducing Sherlock and the Joint Reasoning feature as well as the normal investigation phase. Maybe no court scene at all.
Case 3 - Introducing the English characters (Iris, Barok, Steampunkgirl, the other three guys from the background of the boxart), explaining the Closing Argument feature and how the jury works.
Case 4 - First case not to introduce a gameplay mechanic or main character, advances the main story. Maybe seems unrelated at first.
Case 5 - The great finale.

GSR

Yeah, something's definitely strange with case 2. Either there's no trial at all, there's some kind of shipboard trial, or the incident on the ship is resolved and Ryuunosuke arrives only to get caught up in another case. The jury trial footage we've seen all talks about the carriage murder, and it also makes it pretty clear it's the first time Ryuunosuke's up against a jury, so whatever happened on the ship, it can't be the basis for a London trial.

Guess we'll have a better idea once they talk about case 3 some more.

Also, to be overly optimistic: the DGS soundtrack has 67 tracks. The GS5 one has 69, but also included the DLC case. If case 2 is investigation only, maybe the game has 6 cases instead of 5?

Might not mean much, but on the website, the page for case 1 is "story," case 2 is "story02" and the london courtroom section is "story03." That could point to it being the third case. It at least doesn't seem to be the same as the boat case.

The setup for case 2 reminds me of AAI1-2 quite a bit.

Lusankya

Well, maybe the second case is a little bit like AAI1-2 and you solve it before it can even be brought to court (including rebuttals maybe?). Considering it's based on a Sherlock Holmes short story it may be a short case as well.

Case 2 is really weird, we also haven't learned anything about the victim. It's not even called a murder case, but just an "incident".

GSR

Well, maybe the second case is a little bit like AAI1-2 and you solve it before it can even be brought to court (including rebuttals maybe?). Considering it's based on a Sherlock Holmes short story it may be a short case as well.

Case 2 is really weird, we also haven't learned anything about the victim. It's not even called a murder case, but just an "incident".

Yeah, that's the other thing - they're being very cagey about the details of the case. The narration on the website says it's a murder, but we don't know how much the narration is accurate and how much it's embellished.

As for the victim: (speculation based off the DGS demos we've seen so far:
if the English woman turns out to be the killer in case one, maybe she's being taken back to London as a prisoner but is killed en route?
)

Lusankya

Ah, so it is a murder. Ok, that was to be expected.
Well, I don't want to read the spoiler as I tried not to read too much about the case one gameplay demos.

Considering the short story the boat one is based off, I'd expect there to be a murder. Obviously we don't know how closely it will follow the short stories, but that one in particular I can see working well with the setup we know of, although I still expect there to be some subversions to catch out people familiar with them.

I like the Sherlock Holmes style case naming rather than the usual "Turnabout" stuff, although this one doesn't sound like it's based off any particular story.

and genderswapped Lestrade?

Lusankya

I like the Sherlock Holmes style case naming rather than the usual "Turnabout" stuff, although this one doesn't sound like it's based off any particular story.

and genderswapped Lestrade?

She doesn't look like a police inspector to me, so probably his daughter? We already have Iris as John Watson's daughter, so why not Lestrade's daughter as well?

Top Bottom