• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

FluxWaveZ

Ahh, I knew they'd delay the Ace Attorney 5 art book. I don't know when it happened, but it got moved from June to July 7th, according to my Amazon order. Lame.

Oh, and I've only been generally glancing at what's being said above, because I've tapped out of consuming DGS media a while back.

Edit: How coincidental that this'd be a new page...

rMNWys7.png

<3

Lusankya

The music is so damn good and I just love Kazuya Nuri's character designs.
Now all Capcom have to do is to announce an English release...

pic_01.gif

Also this guy looks so evil and like Damon Gant, I am sure Takumi just plays with our expectations.

tumblr_npekgjeydt1rikc2ro4_400.jpg

And she is so mega awesome. I wonder if she holds Iris' gun in her hand or if it's her own?

The music is so damn good and I just love Kazuya Nuri's character designs.
Now all Capcom have to do is to announce an English release...

pic_01.gif

Also this guy looks so evil and like Damon Gant, I am sure Takumi just plays with our expectations.

tumblr_npekgjeydt1rikc2ro4_400.jpg

And she is so mega awesome. I wonder if she holds Iris' gun in her hand or if it's her own?

I need this in my life.

Lusankya

Seeing as she's saying "Oh, this? It was in a bag I 'picked' up at the carriage station", sounds like it's Iris'.

My guess is her tendency to "pick up" random things will put us at a disadvantage most of the times, but will also save our asses at the end. Pretty sure she will appear in more than just one case based on the fact she is featured on the box art. Also her design is too good to be a one off character.

Vamphuntr

I'm playing GK2. I beat the first case and the lack of logic from everyone was hilariously awful.
The murdering bullet bullet was found in a camera INSIDE the plane with the victim's blood on it. Why are we still talking for this guy for 20 minutes that blames it all on a witness outside the plane again? It was already established he was alone in the cabin room with the victim

Hopefully the logic is better in the rest of the cases

I'm playing GK2. I beat the first case and the lack of logic from everyone was hilariously awful.
The murdering bullet bullet was found in a camera INSIDE the plane with the victim's blood on it. Why are we still talking for this guy for 20 minutes that blames it all on a witness outside the plane again? It was already established he was alone in the cabin room with the victim

Hopefully the logic is better in the rest of the cases
The first case is the weakest IMO, but odd logic like that is hardly new to Ace Attorney.

AAI2 is still one of the best games in the entire series IMO. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Lusankya

Woah, that's info on the fourth case. I think they never revealed that many cases before the release. I wonder ift his means there are going to be six cases. It's not that unlikely given the large number of tracks in the OST and the fact that case 2 apparently doesn't feature a trial.

Odds of this being announce for localisation in Nintendo's presentation? It'd be the bow tie on a perfect E3.

I think it would probably be the kind of thing that would be announced beforehand, like the Megaman Collection or the Bravely Second localisation.

I'm still hoping for it though, even if I'm not overly optimistic about it.

Bowl0l

Woah, that's info on the fourth case. I think they never revealed that many cases before the release. I wonder ift his means there are going to be six cases. It's not that unlikely given the large number of tracks in the OST and the fact that case 2 apparently doesn't feature a trial.
If it's more than 4, I can foresee it as DLC.

Vylash

playing more Layton vs Wright and god i love the multiple witness cross examinations, really hope they add that into the main series eventually

Vamphuntr

I beat GK 2. Overall I liked it a lot. I feel like the last 2 cases made the game great by themselves. I felt the writers did a much better job to tie all the cases together than in AA5. The relationships of the characters of all the cases are somehow intertwined and mysterious up until the end which kept me playing. All the twist with the mean judge and dumb prosecutor were handled very well.

Every AA game has a garbage case and I feel this one is the third case with the stupid singing and desserts. It also extremely long and boring. I almost gave up on the game because of it.

I also have to add it is also one of the few AA game where I never once was stomped. I always knew which item to use and where and where to investigate. I guess the writing was better for this.

The bad guy at the end had one of the creepier sprite for the whole series. It was really cool.

Logic wise a lot of stuff didn't make much sense like
In case 3 the manor switches owner for 18 years and no one found the fucking huge ice sculptures with the body in it in the fridge?lol The two orphans which mysteriously disappeared in case 3 plot twist was also poorly handled. By case 5, on isn't mysteriously disappeared anyway and hilariously both are in the same orphanage and they know each other so they aren't MIA at all. If they find one to give him his father's legacy they had to find the other one.

vareon

I did it, GAF. With AAI finished yesterday I finished the entire English Ace Attorney series. What a game.

Now for Investigations 2, how should I play it? Gyakuten Kenci 2 best price is easily purchasable on Play-Asia but obviously I can't play it on my 3DS in Japanese.

yami4ct

Yes that's what I meant and I heard the translation was excellent. I'm just not sure how to play it. Not sure if asking this is allowed in the forum TBH.

Talking about emulation is fine as long as you don't point people to piracy sites. With fan translations, I believe your only options are a modded DS or an emulator. DS Emulators work pretty well, but the touch screen functionality is less than ideal on a screen.

I suggest buying the game no matter what, of course. Piracy is bad. You get to also have the game on your shelf, which is cool!

vareon

Talking about emulation is fine as long as you don't point people to piracy sites. With fan translations, I believe your only options are a modded DS or an emulator. DS Emulators work pretty well, but the touch screen functionality is less than ideal on a screen.

I suggest buying the game no matter what, of course. Piracy is bad. You get to also have the game on your shelf, which is cool!

Yeah, I plan to buy the Japanese copy anyway. They're just so damn good.

spiritfox

Well, the most legal (but still kinda illegal) method is to buy the game, dump the ROM yourself, and patch that. But as long as you buy the game I think it should be fine to use other methods.

Isotope

Does TGAA have an English text option in the JP release, much like how the previous iterations did? This'll pretty much determine whether or not I'll import it.

GSR

Does TGAA have an English text option in the JP release, much like how the previous iterations did? This'll pretty much determine whether or not I'll import it.

No. The only JP releases to have an English option were the DS/3DS re-releases of the original trilogy, and even then they were only included because the English localization was already complete and could serve as a selling point in Japan to convince folks who already owned the games to re-buy.

Isotope

No. The only JP releases to have an English option were the DS/3DS re-releases of the original trilogy, and even then they were only included because the English localization was already complete and could serve as a selling point in Japan to convince folks who already owned the games to re-buy.

Aw man, that's a shame; guess I'll wait for Capcom to (hopefully) confirm a localization. Thanks for the answer though GSR!

GSR

No problem! (Also, re-reading it, sorry if I sounded a little terse - that question gets asked every time a new AA game comes out.)

FluxWaveZ

Udon's "The Art of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies" art book is apparently now set to release in January 2016. So much for this month or July 2015.

FluxWaveZ

I wonder why the delay... It's only a collection of illustrations, right?

Well, no, it has a lot of written commentary from the art designer about all of the art in the game, like any good art book has. The worst art books are those that are just a bunch of pictures, but the best like the AA5 one give a lot of insight behind the design decisions and development process from character concept art to backgrounds to objects in a game. Plus, this one includes stuff like storyboards for the anime scenes.

It's 240 pages of goodness like that. See this page for Athena Cykes concept art, for example:
All of the Japanese text there would have to be translated, and some pages contain a lot more text than that.

It's a lot of work, but this is still a big delay, which sucks.

At least the extended wait for the art book should be worth it seeing that this time around there's actual information and concept stuff, the one covering AA1-AA4 was pretty lacklustre for information.

Well, no, it has a lot of written commentary from the art designer about all of the art in the game, like any good art book has. The worst art books are those that are just a bunch of pictures, but the best like the AA5 one give a lot of insight behind the design decisions and development process from character concept art to backgrounds to objects in a game. Plus, this one includes stuff like storyboards for the anime scenes.

It's 240 pages of goodness like that. See this page for Athena Cykes concept art, for example:

All of the Japanese text there would have to be translated, and some pages contain a lot more text than that.

It's a lot of work, but this is still a big delay, which sucks.

Omg the blue balls on her head :| :| :| I can't stop laughing hahahaha

Error1355

So is that artbook going to be translated with notes explaining stuff behind character designs? I might be buying my first art book, that sounds awesome.

FluxWaveZ

So is that artbook going to be translated with notes explaining stuff behind character designs? I might be buying my first art book, that sounds awesome.

Most art books are like that. Again, only the worst ones are those that are just a collection of pictures with no actual details or interviews from the development team about the art behind the game.

Error1355

Most art books are like that. Again, only the worst ones are those that are just a collection of pictures with no actual details or interviews from the development team about the art behind the game.

I think I've been dismissing art books my entire life when I would have actually liked them.

Damn my ignorance.

Lusankya

The Great Ace Attorney Launch Trailer!

It shows some of the anime scenes and short sections of the first four cases (no spoilers as far as I am concerned), they even tease case 5 (only the name)!

This all but confirms there will be 6+ cases, which is no wonder actually. In a recent interview Takumi told that Sherlock Holmes was his biggest inspiration for DGS and his favorite stories are the first twelve short stories.

GSR

more cases is always good, hoping there's dlc cases as well...and that we actually get all of them this time

The AA5 DLC that wasn't brought over wasn't an actual case. It was more like a bunch of brainteasers with flavour dialogue between some of the characters.

But no, no DLC full cases for DGS:

The DLC is not full trials like AA5's. Instead, it's a series of "issues" of Randst Magazine (first one is free for early buyers, next eight are 300 yen released weekly.) Each issue can contain some combination of things like a short episode (think PLvsPW's DLC), music from the game (including early versions and unused tracks), voice clips (including unused lines), concept art and commentary, making-of videos, and 3DS themes.

Top Bottom