• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

If I remember correctly, Dual Destinies wasn't announced at any sort of event, it was just a stand alone press release. I can't recall any western localization for an AA game getting a formal announcement at a trade show.

FluxWaveZ

If I recall correctly, Dual Drstinies wasn't announced at any sort of event, it was just a stand alone press release. I can't remember any western localization for an AA game getting a formal announcement at a trade show.

I don't recall how it was in the past, but comparing the situation to Dual Destinies' is disingenuous because localization for that game was confirmed literally 1-3 days after the game was announced in Japan.

They were showing off AA5 at SDCC 2013, so if they had a localization announcement to make at the moment, it would have been as good a place as any to make it. Now, it's either a random Nintendo Direct or just a random announcement sometime down the line, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. Gamescom wouldn't be an event at all for this kind of announcement, even if Capcom registers to be an exhibitor.

I don't recall how it was in the past, but comparing the situation to Dual Destinies' is disingenuous because localization for that game was confirmed literally 1-3 days after the game was announced in Japan.
I'm not sure how that's disingenuous. I was just trying to point out that most/all western confirmations were very low key in the past.

And Dual Destinies being confirmed so early was an anomaly for Capcom. Unless it's a huge IP like Resident Evil or such, that does not generally happen with them.

FluxWaveZ

I'm not sure how that's disingenuous. I was just trying to point out that most/all western confirmations were very low key in the past.

And Dual Destinies being confirmed so early was an anomaly for Capcom. Unless it's a huge IP like Resident Evil or such, that does not generally happen with them.

That's what I mean: because AA5 was an anomaly, taking it as an example for localization announcements for Capcom or for how DGS might be pulled off doesn't really work.

But were most of the localization announcements for Ace Attorney low key in the past? I'm trying to find information about that.

Looks like Trilogy was announced through PR as well, and that was about 3 weeks after it's Japanese release date.

Although again that's not a great comparison, since the games already had localisations.

Apollo Justice was through PR too, Investigations seems to have been through some event called Captivate 09

That's what I mean: because AA5 was an anomaly, taking it as an example for localization announcements for Capcom or for how DGS might be pulled off doesn't really work.

But were most of the localization announcements for Ace Attorney low key in the past? I'm trying to find information about that.
Here's an article about AA3's release, just another statement from Capcom.

http://www.siliconera.com/2007/04/13/phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-trials-and-tribulations-confirmed/

Obviously there's not set rules for this type of thing, but I was just trying to say that announcements of this kind aren't always centered around trade shows, particularly with more niche series.

FluxWaveZ

Here's an article about AA3's release, just another statement from Capcom.

http://www.siliconera.com/2007/04/13/phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-trials-and-tribulations-confirmed/

Obviously there's not set rules for this type of thing, but I was just trying to say that announcements of this kind aren't always centered around trade shows, particularly with more niche series.

I was trying to find one for Apollo Justice, but a definitive date and circumstance seems hard to find.

But yeah, there's no set rule for these things. It's just that, logically, they wouldn't be ignoring the chance to announce a localization at their SDCC "World of Capcom" panel to instead opt to release a press release and make slightly less of a splash about it. That's the reason I don't think we'll be hearing about this anytime soon.

I was trying to find one for Apollo Justice, but a definitive date and circumstance seems hard to find.

But yeah, there's no set rule for these things. It's just that, logically, they wouldn't be ignoring the chance to announce a localization at their SDCC "World of Capcom" panel to instead opt to release a press release and make slightly less of a splash about it. That's the reason I don't think we'll be hearing about this anytime soon.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226866 I think this is it

Lusankya

Usually the announcements for the localizations were all over the place. The only announcement for a non-localization (AAI2) was done a month after the Japanese release date.

FluxWaveZ

That would probably be because it got leaked through a trademark: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159543

Kind of odd though, I can't seem to find the official announcement at all.

edit: got it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170048&highlight=apollo+justice Japan Expo

Cool, that must have been the genesis, then. I found the Japan Expo info somewhere else, but I thought an "NA announcement" might have occurred before because it was about Europe.

Interesting couple of ways to find out about that game's localization.

The only announcement for a non-localization (AAI2) was done a month after the Japanese release date.

I didn't know about this, though, or at least I didn't remember. We knew they weren't going to do it a month after it came out in Japan. huh...

Lusankya

I didn't know about this, though, or at least I didn't remember. We knew they weren't going to do it a month after it came out in Japan. huh...

From the Wikipedia page:
In March 2011, Capcom's Christian Svensson stated that there were no plans at the time to release Gyakuten Kenji 2 in regions outside of Japan.[10]

This was as good as a confirmation that we would never see an official localization.

FleenerW

The only announcement for a non-localization (AAI2) was done a month after the Japanese release date.
It wasn't really an official announcement. A fan asked Sven during a livestream and he casually said it wasn't coming to the West. Here's the GAF thread on it.

Joqu

Man, it's a real shame Sven doesn't work at Capcom anymore, he's the one who kept championing the series in the west isn't he? Also feels like we're getting way less communication in comparison but I might be wrong on that, I only really paid attention to that stuff with Dual Destinies.

I sure hope his absence isn't going to end up be the reason for them to pass on DGS. Capcom haven't had a new Ace Attorney game to localize since he left so there's no real way to tell how they'll treat the series from now on for the time being. I mean, Trilogy doesn't really count. :/

Man, it's a real shame Sven doesn't work at Capcom anymore, he's the one who kept championing the series in the west isn't he? Also feels like we're getting way less communication in comparison but I might be wrong on that, I only really paid attention to that stuff with Dual Destinies.

I sure hope his absence isn't going to end up be the reason for them to pass on DGS. Capcom haven't had a new Ace Attorney game to localize since he left so there's no real way to tell how they'll treat the series from now on for the time being. I mean, Trilogy doesn't really count. :/
Capcom has been communicating way less about everything. They're a very closed circle type of company. (The only exception seems to be their interactions with the FGC.)

All the more reason to make sure we remain vocal. Being proactive is the best way to get the word out.

Joqu

Capcom has been communicating way less about everything. They're a very closed circle type of company. (The only exception seems to be their interactions with the FGC.)

All the more reason to make sure we remain vocal. Being proactive is the best way to get the word out.

Agreed. I feel like the bigger DGS related fan movements so far have been pretty unsuccessful but I suppose a smaller scale demand over a long period of time might be enough to at least get them to make a statement.

They were pleased with Dual Destinies' sales so I'm convinced the demand is there. Come on Capcom.

Joqu

They didn't say they were pleased, they said it met expectations. That can have a very different meaning.

Fair enough. I'd argue that meeting expectations would please them as long as they set them well but I shouldn't state that as a fact if they never outright said so

FluxWaveZ

Fair enough. I'd argue that meeting expectations would please them as long as they set them well but I shouldn't state that as a fact if they never outright said so

Yeah, to be fair, Sven said that he put up lofty expectations for AA5's performance in the West for its localization, and he was hoping fans would reciprocate. "Meeting expectations" would then mean that the game sold decently, at least given Sven's projections. But it's just uncertain because who knows what Capcom thinks, and maybe they saw those sales and actually went, "Yep, like we thought, this isn't enough. No more AA localizations."

Yeah, to be fair, Sven said that he put up lofty expectations for AA5's performance in the West for its localization, and he was hoping fans would reciprocate. "Meeting expectations" would then mean that the game sold decently, at least given Sven's projections. But it's just uncertain because who knows what Capcom thinks, and maybe they saw those sales and actually went, "Yep, like we thought, this isn't enough. No more AA localizations."
Well, they made a point of highlighting DD's sales in their fiscal report so I'd say that they were pleased with them.

GSR

I keep asking and forgetting: was there anything in that report to indicate they were actually, specifically satisfied with Western sales, or was it just a vague "met expectations" without specifying if that went for Japan, the West, or global sales?

I keep asking and forgetting: was there anything in that report to indicate they were actually, specifically satisfied with Western sales, or was it just a vague "met expectations" without specifying if that went for Japan, the West, or global sales?
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...es-rise-to-1-2m-as-capcom-enjoys-profit-boost

This article outlines their fiscal year statement ending on March 31st, 2014. Dual Destines was released on October 2013, so I'd say the western sales are included in this statement.

FluxWaveZ

Yes.
CJq8FNAUEAACyWD.jpg

Reading all the positive impressions for DGS is getting me so hyped. I've been really good and avoided almost every spoiler though. Usually with AA games I can't help but at least check out the character list, but I've abstained this time.

Lusankya

Well, I spoiled the victim of the first case for me, but otherwise I only have the information you can find on the official site.

FluxWaveZ

I know practically nothing about DGS except for the premise, some of the main characters, and a little bit about its mechanics. I want to keep it that way so, without delving into any detail at all, has it been stated where people who've played the game would generally place it in the series?

I remember a woman on the 8-4 podcast, a big AA fan, talking about how she ranked PLvsPW at her second to last or least favorite game in the series, and I ended up agreeing with that.

Not sure where I would place it TBH. Most of the game was awesome. Then I got to the final cross-examination which was way too fucking easy and then things went to hell from there.

So it's weird because the game was really fun but I didn't have any real sense of satisfaction upon beating it. As such I have no idea where to place it.

FluxWaveZ

Not sure where I would place it TBH. Most of the game was awesome. Then I got to the final cross-examination which was way too fucking easy and then things went to hell from there.

So it's weird because the game was really fun but I didn't have any real sense of satisfaction upon beating it. As such I have no idea where to place it.

Heh, sounds like PLvsAA. Though, it'd take some real doing for it to rank below that game for me.

GSR

I liked DGS a lot. It's gorgeously animated, has good mysteries and a great cast, and it dares to shake up some of the AA formula, usually for the better. But there's no denying it flubs the landing. (For what it's worth, my issues with DGS' ending are almost entirely different than my issues with PLvsPW's, with the exception of an overlong final trial, which both have.)

I honestly don't know how to rank it in the overall series yet.

Bowl0l

Is DGS ending as bad as Apollo Justice, where we have to choose good/bad ending?

GSR

No, it's not like that. Actually I really liked the end of the trial gameplay-wise/in terms of what you're proving. It's the plot itself that has issues.

Bowl0l

No, it's not like that. Actually I really liked the end of the trial gameplay-wise/in terms of what you're proving. It's the plot itself that has issues.
I didn't play Ace Attorney for the plot. I kept my expectations low after Apollo Justice.

GSR

So, TGS in less than a month. F2P tapathon crossover mobile games aside, I wonder if we'll see what Yamazaki and Eshiro have been up to. I'm sure some of the AA5 staff was also working on DGS, but it's been two years since AA5. If Capcom plans to annualize the series after all, now's the time for them to show off AA6 while DGS2 cooks.

Lusankya

So, TGS in less than a month. F2P tapathon crossover mobile games aside, I wonder if we'll see what Yamazaki and Eshiro have been up to. I'm sure some of the AA5 staff was also working on DGS, but it's been two years since AA5. If Capcom plans to annualize the series after all, now's the time for them to show off AA6 while DGS2 cooks.

I really hope they show some new AA game at TGS, but even more I hope we get a localization for DGS ;_;

FluxWaveZ

I put AA6 in the "possibly" category in the TGS thread. Could happen. A brief teaser with a logo and some voice-over is something that would come to mind, with potentially a "2016" as the stinger.

Don't know if I'd even want that at this point, though. It would shift the focus from DGS entirely to AA6, potentially being a bad sign for the former's localization prospects.

GSR

I really hope they show some new AA game at TGS, but even more I hope we get a localization for DGS ;_;

Don't know if I'd even want that at this point, though. It would shift the focus from DGS entirely to AA6, potentially being a bad sign for the former's localization prospects.

I'm gonna be honest: my guess right now is that if AA as a series becomes annualized, alternating between standard AA games and DGS, Capcom USA is only going to localize the mainline games. It would still give them a new AA game every two years, keeps the "safe" market of well-known characters/setting, and avoids the snarls of trying to localize/market the very Japan-heavy DGS.

I hope I'm wrong on that, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Top Bottom