• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

FluxWaveZ

I just hope the animation quality matches that of the Pachinko game, at least. That looked neat, but A-1 Pictures has their misses.

Bowlie

Banned
Hi, AA-Gaf.

After signing up to the previously mentioned Mafia game I bought the trilogy on my 3DS and it's awesome so far! I'm in JFA right now; Pearl is the cutest thing, I'm noticing a ladder joke trend, and I'm waiting for Edgeworth to show up.

Lusankya

Hi, AA-Gaf.

After signing up to the previously mentioned Mafia game I bought the trilogy on my 3DS and it's awesome so far! I'm in JFA right now;
Are these your first AA games? The trilogy makes it really convenient for new players to start with the series.

I wish I could experience the AA games for the first time again, they're so good. You might think the cases four and five of the first game were really good (and they are), but also look forward to the last cases of JFA and T&T.

Pearl is the cutest thing, I'm noticing a ladder joke trend, and I'm waiting for Edgeworth to show up.

Pearl is one of my favorite little children characters and I usually don't like them. Even though she ships Phoenix and Maya a little bit too hard I could never be angry at her.

Edgeworth is obviously a fan favorite, otherwise they wouldn't have created two spin-off games with him as the lead. Especially the second one is really good, although you need the fan-translation to understand it.

Bowlie

Banned
Are these your first AA games? The trilogy makes it really convenient for new players to start with the series.

I wish I could experience the AA games for the first time again, they're so good. You might think the cases four and five of the first game were really good (and they are), but also look forward to the last cases of JFA and T&T.

Yup! Always knew about them, never played them. I was satisfied after the fourth case because it ended the game nicely after 12 hours... then I got another, completely different case, that alone took me another 12 hours. They're good indeed.

And they, at least so far, have never made me do crazy logical jumps to find a contradiction; the cases can be challenging but never frustrating. That was one of my fears before getting the game.

Pearl is one of my favorite little children characters and I usually don't like them. Even though she ships Phoenix and Maya a little bit too hard I could never be angry at her.

Edgeworth is obviously a fan favorite, otherwise they wouldn't have created two spin-off games with him as the lead. Especially the second one is really good, although you need the fan-translation to understand it.

I didn't even know he had two games! Is your objective to find the defendants guilty on them, or will he do a Cecil move and turn into a paladin?

Lusankya

I didn't even know he had two games! Is your objective to find the defendants guilty on them, or will he do a Cecil move and turn into a paladin?

Well, his objective is to solve the cases and he usually does so before there even is a court trial.
Basically you only play the investigation parts (third person this time), but you still have witness testimonies (called rebuttals) where you need to find contradictions. That's why his games are called Ace Attorney Investigations.

Here is a spoiler free image of how investigations and rebuttals look like in AAI (case 1, first game):

i7csdqL.jpg

Bowlie

Banned
Well, his objective is to solve the cases and he usually does so before there even is a court trial.
Basically you only play the investigation parts (third person this time), but you still have witness testimonies (called rebuttals) where you need to find contradictions. That's why his games are called Ace Attorney Investigations.

This seems great. And it looks like he's still a prosecutor.

Since those are spin-offs, can I play them whenever I want or only after a certain main game, story-wise? (I don't wanna enter the wiki)

Lusankya

They sometimes reference the first three games, but not too much, so you can play them whenever you like after you have finished T&T.

spiritfox

This seems great. And it looks like he's still a prosecutor.

Since those are spin-offs, can I play them whenever I want or only after a certain main game, story-wise? (I don't wanna enter the wiki)

Chronologically it's between AA3 and 4, so you might want to play them then.

Lusankya

Last month’s issue of Nintendo Dream has a big interview with Takeshi Yamazaki and Motohide Eshiro from Capcom about all things Ace Attorney. The two developers provided some interesting insight into Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies as well as Ace Attorney 6. It’s several pages long, so we went ahead and made a summary.

http://nintendoeverything.com/capco...o-ace-attorney-dual-destinies-ace-attorney-6/

There are some really interesting tidbits, e.g. Yamazaki actually wanted to quit developing AA games after Dual Destinies, but Eshiro convinced him to continue by letting him meet and greet enthusiastic Western fans in San Diego. But as a consequence Yamazaki now has a sub-director (Takuro Fuse) to relieve him of some of his work.

They were also asked if they ever wanted to publish two versions of an Ace Attorney game (imagine AA red and AA blue). At first they found this idea interesting, but then they realized they would need to create double the amount of cases. This would also increase the development time of a new entry by several years.

So a possible reason why AAI2 is so much better than AAI1 is because Yamazaki could completely concentrate on the scenario and didn't need to worry about the engine or new gameplay.
Now with Dual Destinies there apparently was also the problem that he had not only to write the whole scenario but also needed to help with the new 3D setting and gameplay.
But with AA6 he can once again focus completely on the scenario (especially with Fuse as a Co-Director responsible for art designs and gameplay), so I expect a similar improvement from AA5 to AA6 as we saw from AAI1 to AAI2.

Bowlie

Banned
I finished JFA and am looking at the credits right now. That last case made me so tense (even though I almost did not know what I was fighting for near the end)!

Franziska saved the day, and I want to see more of her.

edit: aww, the post-credits scene

How the fuck do I play Ace Attorney iOS in Espanol? I set my phone language to Spanish and it's only in English. What gives? The European ds games have Spanish but the 3ds and iPhone versions don't? Wtf.

It didn't look great, but there's so little to see there that I'm not really sure what to make of it.

But if I didn't know otherwise, I would assume it was a game trailer.

D-Man

I think that the animated sections of the Pachinko machine look better than what we've seen from the anime, but I'm going to reserve judgement for now.

I'm just happy to see the series as an anime. Hopefully it brings in a wave of new fans to support the games.

Apollo's plotline in AA5 is by far the best part of the story IMO. He gets the opportunity to really come into his own as a character. It also gives Phoenix a much better chance to act as a mentor, something he didn't really do in AA4.

AA5 has some issues, but the biggest positive was how it gave both characters a more definitive direction for progression.

Golnei

I felt that they diminished the traces of Phoenix's AA4 personality a little too much, but it was good to see him act as a mentor; even if he received far too few scenes with Trucy. Apollo definitely felt like a much more solid character in 5, though.

Athena is okay, but I hope they don't relegate her to the role of a static accessory in 6. Despite most of DD focusing on her backstory, she could really use some more development.

Apollo gets the cards stacked in his favor in aa5 and he's still the weakest lead in the story. Better then he ever was in AJ where he might as well have been a cac but still inferior to Phoenix, Edgeworth, and Athena as protagonist.

I'm on case 2 and I fucking still hate Apollo. Why do I dislike him so much? It's not because he's not Phoenix either because I'd love to play as Athena.

Case 2 in general is pretty meh. It's like AA4 all over again. Trucy tagging along isn't helping things. She sucks. Worst partner ever.

I'm currently going through some Apollo is a demon joke scene that over stayed its welcome ten minutes ago. Really starting to regret purchasing this. :(

When does case 2 get good, beef?

Honestly, Case 2's quality depends on how fond you are of the characters. I liked the characters well enough so I didn't mind it, but that's just me. That being said, the game definitely gets better after that case since Case 3 is magnificent.

Still dumb that they revealed who did it at the beginning of #2, and in such a grand fashion.

Hopefully Apollo dies and he's replaced with Athena. Can't wait to play as a spunky female lawyer in AA6!

Honestly, Case 2's quality depends on how fond you are of the characters. I liked the characters well enough so I didn't mind it, but that's just me. That being said, the game definitely gets better after that case.

Still dumb that they revealed who did it at the beginning, and in such a grand fashion.

This Japanese yokai spirit medium girl is annoying as fuck.

Gestahl

I'm on case 2 and I fucking still hate Apollo. Why do I dislike him so much? It's not because he's not Phoenix either because I'd love to play as Athena.

Case 2 in general is pretty meh. It's like AA4 all over again. Trucy tagging along isn't helping things. She sucks. Worst partner ever.

I'm currently going through some Apollo is a demon joke scene that over stayed its welcome ten minutes ago. Really starting to regret purchasing this. :(

Case 2 is the worst one easily in DD, especially since the localization just sort of crumbles and can't deal with all the dumb yokai names

Top Bottom