• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

Sölf

To be fair, they did that a few times during the series (Redd White, etc). But they also had the good sense to hide said culprit until further in the case.

They actually only did that in the very first case most of the time and in the second one in the first game. It was such a shame, because the case actually was great imo, but knowing who did it right from the beginning was such a bummer. :/

I've got to admit, despite enjoying AA5 on my first run my attempt to replay it gained no traction whatsoever.

Apollo wasn't ready for the rocket push. The guy isn't even good enough to be called a B+ player! Wright brings in the ratings and PPV buys.
Well I can't deny that, Wright made me double down on MvC3 within like six months, he's one heck of a draw.
Apollo would be like Lance Storm. Competent enough in his own right, but oh god so booooooooriiiiiiiiing

So you're saying is that Apollo needs a dancing gimmick.

I think they took too much of a liking to the 3ds and mobile phones power.

It feels like they're showing off their new graphics engine than letting you do AA things.

That explains why it takes so long to actually start investigating the murder despite seeing it in the intro.

Did Shu Takumi write this? Because if so I refuse to believe it.

edit: apparently he wasn't. That much is clear to me from the writing.

Is there any particular reason I can't examine rooms? Like when you go to jail, I always examine the camera and the security guard. Or I always examine every item at Wright HQ to get flavor text. But I can't examine anything in this game? What gives?

edit:

lmao

You can't examine things in AA5 except for select rooms? This is what I get for being a dummy and buying another one of these games after the terrible AA4. I interuppted my AA Trilogy replay for this, but I've deleted AA5 and I'm back to playing 2. Saw the trailer for 6 and I'm good. I won't purchase another AA game unless it's 1-3.
EcAJ9xY.png

Well, AA1-4 style investigation sequences are back in 6, if it's any consolation. (Though it really shouldn't have been removed in the first place)

Is there any particular reason I can't examine rooms? Like when you go to jail, I always examine the camera and the security guard. Or I always examine every item at Wright HQ to get flavor text. But I can't examine anything in this game? What gives?

edit:

lmao

You can't examine things in AA5 except for select rooms? This is what I get for being a dummy and buying another one of these games after the terrible AA4. I interuppted my AA Trilogy replay for this, but I've deleted AA5 and I'm back to playing 2. Saw the trailer for 6 and I'm good. I won't purchase another AA game unless it's 1-3.

I trust you'll break that promise if DGS gets localised, right?

RIGHT?

Because it's pretty freaking amazing.

One of the best casts in a game that I can recall in the past few years.
New gameplay features such as Joint Reasoning, multiple witnesses during trials (not new if you played VS Layton --Don't play VS Layton, btw), and Jury Arguments.
Solving crimes with Sherlock Holmes.
An incredible OST that mixes classical Japanese and English music styles.
And it was written by Shu Takumi.

Though considering it's Capcom and they're backing down super hard to go back to pre-AA4 setting at all costs, they're going to go with the safe money and market solely on the nostalgia of the first three games for their localisation efforts.

Well, AA1-4 style investigation sequences are back in 6, if it's any consolation. (Though it really shouldn't have been removed in the first place)

I don't think it really matters for me. Originally, the games existed in a realistic, albeit, cartoony world with fantasy elements. Even with Psych locks it still managed to be pretty grounded for the most part, even when someone was possessed like in AA3. But Apollo's bracelet in 4, and what's presented in 6's trailers with Kurain court just go against why I like the games and their setting. The new tone and setting shift isn't really appealing to me at all. These games have completely lost their shit.

New gameplay features such as Joint Reasoning, multiple witnesses during trials (not new if you played VS Layton --Don't play VS Layton, btw), and Jury Arguments.

Though considering it's Capcom and they're backing down super hard to go back to pre-AA4 setting at all costs, they're going to go with the safe money and market solely on the nostalgia of the first three games for their localisation efforts.

Sounds good.

I know Japanese, but I'm not confident my Japanese is good enough to play it. Plus, region locking (fuck you Nintendo, seriously).

Sölf

Maybe we will get a fan translation in 5-10 years. Yes? Please? ;___;

Bowlie

Banned
Finished the fourth case in AA3. That was so good.

I love that the whole game was giving me pieces of a bigger picture and I'm finally putting them together (very much unlike AA2 where, though the last cast was fantastic, they all had little cohesion).

Wellscha

Hey guys, I'd like to get play AA series again after playing 1&2 ages ago. Does anyone know what's the definitive version is?

I played the first case on the iOS version, and couldn't even finish the trial. awful filtering, choppy animations, blegh.

Grexeno

Hey guys, I'd like to get play AA series again after playing 1&2 ages ago. Does anyone know what's the definitive version is?

I played the first case on the iOS version, and couldn't even finish the trial. awful filtering, choppy animations, blegh.
DS games are the definitive versions.

Grexeno

My Ds lite has multiple dead pixels in it. :(

What's wrong with the 3DS ones?
Nothing is wrong with the 3DS ones? Basically don't get any iOS version period.

EDIT: Unless the 3DS versions are iOS ports, which I think they might be. Don't quote me on that though. Basically, obtaining the DS versions and playing them on 3DS is the way to go.

Wellscha

Nothing is wrong with the 3DS ones? Basically don't get any iOS version period.

Yeah, I figured. How's the 3DS port compared the originals?

Edit: just say your edits. Thanks bud.

Edit#2: I'd appreciate the input on the 3DS ports if someone in this community played them.

D-Man

The 3DS port is perfectly fine. It's based on the iOS version but it fixed a ton of its problems like the insane amount of missing frames in animations, the bad quality music, and other general stuff. It's not the DS versions but it's perfectly playable and I recommend 'em.

I don't think it really matters for me. Originally, the games existed in a realistic, albeit, cartoony world with fantasy elements. Even with Psych locks it still managed to be pretty grounded for the most part, even when someone was possessed like in AA3. But Apollo's bracelet in 4, and what's presented in 6's trailers with Kurain court just go against why I like the games and their setting. The new tone and setting shift isn't really appealing to me at all. These games have completely lost their shit.

Fair enough. I'm indifferent on the whole Kurain angle myself.

I'd appreciate the input on the 3DS ports if someone in this community played them.

The 3DS ports are fine. The few issues it has are minor at best, and probably would only be spotted at first glance by someone whose already played the hell out of the games.

Yeah, I figured. How's the 3DS port compared the originals?

Edit: just say your edits. Thanks bud.

Edit#2: I'd appreciate the input on the 3DS ports if someone in this community played them.

3DS port is pretty close to definitive for me. I have zero issue recommending it to anybody interested.

Hey, AAGAF. I'm going to begin making the OT for the Ace Attorney anime in about a week, and I've been wondering what to use for a tagline.

So far I've got:

|OT| Eat your hamburgers, Ryuuichi.

|OT| Stepladders not included.

|OT| In which we all speak autobiographical gibberish

Anyone else have any suggestions?

D-Man

Hey, AAGAF. I'm going to begin making the OT for the Ace Attorney anime in about a week, and I've been wondering what to use for a tagline.

So far I've got:

|OT| Eat your hamburgers, Ryuuichi.

|OT| Stepladders not included.

|OT| In which we all speak autobiographical gibberish

Anyone else have any suggestions?

I like "Stepladders not included". I'm curious to see how many non-fans are gonna tune in for the anime. Hopefully it convinces at least a few people to give the games a shot.

daydream

Banned
actually, it should be |ot| watch your cartoon show, apollo

still not looking forward to it but i'm gonna watch, anyway. so unnecessary, though

FluxWaveZ

UM5F97P.gif

still not looking forward to it but i'm gonna watch, anyway. so unnecessary, though

Very necessary, to me. Will be a big disappointment if it turns out poorly, because it's something I've been thinking about ever since I played Ace Attorney. It's the little touches that make these kinds of adaptations for me; potential welcome additions that weren't necessarily present in the games.

Seeing the art and characters come to life in a fully animated context is pretty fun, as long as it doesn't look bad.

daydream

Banned
Very necessary, to me. Will be a big disappointment if it turns out poorly, because it's something I've been thinking about ever since I played Ace Attorney. It's the little touches that make these kinds of adaptations for me; potential welcome additions that weren't necessarily present in the games.

Seeing the art and characters come to life in a fully animated context is pretty fun, as long as it doesn't look bad.

the game lives from and through those animations, though. they are obviously extremely exaggerated and mechanical in natuer and thus fit with the portrait style and the mechanics of the game (i.e. how an animation is tied to a line of dialogue), not to mention the quantity of text. you're talking about little additions in the adaptation when the anime will obviously be compressed and reduced to mere story beats. the details you're looking for have been right there for years.

the only scenario where this adaptation would be anything but superfluous is one where it goes for something completely different and meaningfully transforms the source material. instead it's looking like ace attorney reader's digest edition

FluxWaveZ

the game lives from and through those animations, though. they are obviously extremely exaggerated and mechanical in natuer and thus fit with the portrait style and the mechanics of the game (i.e. how an animation is tied to a line of dialogue), not to mention the quantity of text. you're talking about little additions in the adaptation when the anime will obviously be compressed and reduced to mere story beats. the details you're looking for have been right there for years.

the only scenario where this adaptation would be anything but superfluous is one where it goes for something completely different and meaningfully transforms the source material. instead it's looking like ace attorney reader's digest edition

I think we just look for different things in these kinds of adaptations. Obviously, I love the presentation in the AA games themselves, but it's purely the change of medium that makes me excited, and not what that could entail. Simply the Pachinko anime scenes made me excited, because looking at all of the characters fully animated and in different perspectives is great. Then there's potential music remixes, full voice acting, different sorts of scene framing, etc.

I'm not looking for a wholly different experience, but a different take on the same one. I figure that's what most people excited for the AA anime are looking for.

There are also inevitable modifications in scenario which could be cool. For example, I loved some of the futuristic takes on presenting evidence the AA live movie introduced.

FluxWaveZ

This should be alright, since it's an Anime Japan 2016 pamphlet.
Art for the upcoming anime.

I was going to say something about Pearl's baby face, but I think that I've actually gotten used to her subtle AA5 change.

This should be alright, since it's an Anime Japan 2016 pamphlet.

Art for the upcoming anime.

I was going to say something about Pearl's baby face, but I think that I've actually gotten used to her subtle AA5 change.

I mean was it confirmed we were getting JFA covered in the anime or was it just assumed when we saw the episode count?

Lusankya

Franziska looks really nice, so I am looking forward to the JFA cases. Payne on the other hand looks weird, but I think he's the character I care about the least.

Top Bottom