• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

Lusankya

Huh, have we not seen Trucy in Ace Attorney 6 until now? Dunno why I always assumed I had seen her; I guess it's because her return was an inevitability and because of what case 2 is about.

Cool to see a formal announcement of Ema.

We only saw her on her stage show poster before the Famitsu reveal. Now is the first time we ever got confirmation on her role she plays in the game. Although her being the defendant was my top pick.

Btw. Ema has some kind of strap on her arm, that's new, right?

I need a hint again. This is the third time and I'm sorry. :(

Ace Attorney 2, Episode 4, first trial. I've just pointed out that
the knife has Gatewater written on the handle
, but the prosecution counters by saying that
the knife must have come from Matt Engarde's room
. The judge then randomly decides that I need to present new evidence now or he'll immediately find Matt Engarde guilty.

I have picked wrong (and, because of the Judge's idiotic demands, had to restart the case) three times now, and honestly I'm not sure how the game expects me to know, since it's giving me absolutely zero context as to what it wants me to present.

Bowlie

Banned
I need a hint again. This is the third time and I'm sorry. :(

Ace Attorney 2, Episode 4, first trial. I've just pointed out that
the knife has Gatewater written on the handle
, but the prosecution counters by saying that
the knife must have come from Matt Engarde's room
. The judge then randomly decides that I need to present new evidence now or he'll immediately find Matt Engarde guilty.

I have picked wrong (and, because of the Judge's idiotic demands, had to restart the case) three times now, and honestly I'm not sure how the game expects me to know, since it's giving me absolutely zero context as to what it wants me to present.

Disregard the previous statements: the judge is asking you for a evidence that is important and also was not shown before. Isn't there an evidence that was strange considering how the crime scene was?

Answer:
wine glass

Disregard the previous statements: the judge is asking you for a evidence that is important and also was not shown before. Isn't there an evidence that was strange considering how the crime scene was?

Thank you! The bolded bit did it. :D

Geez, they really should have said something like that to clue you in. Especially if they're only going to give you one chance <_<

FluxWaveZ

Thank you! The bolded bit did it. :D

Geez, they really should have said something like that to clue you in. Especially if they're only going to give you one chance <_<

Are you not saving the game? Don't tell me you're one of the players who didn't realize you could save at any time.

Are you not saving the game? Don't tell me you're one of the players who didn't realize you could save at any time.

I realize, I guess, but I've been avoiding it... it feels somewhat like using save states in an emulator. I don't know. Restarting trials isn't fun, but neither is saving before every question.

GSR

I would take the scans down if I were you. They aren't allowed here.

Yeah. To be clear: the reason that first scan is allowed is that it's not a "scan" per se, it's an official preview of this week's issue from Famitsu. (See also the watermark and the fact it's sourced back to Famitsu itself.)

Actual scans or photos of magazines aren't allowed.

img_01.png

GSR

Both rows for characters on the official website are filled. Wonder if that's that for character reveals until the game's out.

I doubt that very strongly; if memory serves there was initially only one row.

We've still got case 3 to show off plus any other miscellaneous teases, assuming the marketing team's following the usual AA handbook, which they seem to be.

Whether or not there are still any main/returning characters to reveal is a different question.

FluxWaveZ

I doubt that very strongly; if memory serves there was initially only one row.

We've still got case 3 to show off plus any other miscellaneous teases, assuming the marketing team's following the usual AA handbook, which they seem to be.

Whether or not there are still any main/returning characters to reveal is a different question.

Hm. Well, I would expect something for the month prior to release, and they do usually overview case 3, so that's true.

Lusankya

Eshiro/Yamazaki always showed the first 3 of the 5 cases, so I expect the same here.

Btw. does anyone know how the character section Maya, Ema and Trucy are in is called? Is it like "assistant characters" or something like that?

Eshiro/Yamazaki always showed the first 3 of the 5 cases, so I expect the same here.

Btw. does anyone know how the character section Maya, Ema and Trucy are in is called? Is it like "assistant characters" or something like that?

People close to Phoenix
Japanese people

or something like that

JulianImp

Ace Attorney GAF, I've spotted a 50% off sale going on in the JP eShop for the AA1-3 compilation, AA5 and also GAA until Apr 18th, so I wanted to ask you guys something about Grat Ace Attorney.

I've already tried the Dai Gyakuten Saiban "demo" (so little interactivity, though) and was thinking about getting it, but it's a fact that I can't read all the kanji yet so I'm not sure how much I'd be able to enjoy playing through a game where good reading comprehension is needed for spotting contradictions and picking the right evidence, for example.

Is there anything like a fan translation of the script I could consult while playing to make sure I don't miss out on important stuff due to my current lack of Japanese reading comprehension? I guess even a text dump of the script would help me look words up in online dictionaries better, since I don't have anything capable of recognizing kanji by drawing them, and looking kanji up manually in a dictionary would take too long to be viable IMO.

Sölf

We have no specified thread for AA fanfictions, eh? I am currently playing through one I played years ago again, since a new case has been added to that one. It's quite great and it has... some interesting characters.

Have you guys actually played any fangames? Aside from this one, I only played one other (and co-created one years ago which was never finished). Some are actually really good and could imo rival some of the official cases.

FluxWaveZ

Sölf;200983064 said:
Have you guys actually played any fangames? Aside from this one, I only played one other (and co-created one years ago which was never finished). Some are actually really good and could imo rival some of the official cases.

Only Turnabout Holocaust, which was insanity. Made me want to look into these a bit more, or maybe even make my own sometime.

I'm on Case 4, Trial Day 2 of AA2, and loving it. That
Engarde transformation from nice guy to evil mastermind was brilliant. Yeah, you could kind of see it coming, but actually watching the change happen when the last few psyche-locked... it was great.

One thing that's kind of bothering me though is the backstory they gave Adrian Andrews&#8212;not the backstory itself, per se, but the way the game describes it. To be honest, it comes across as kind of sexist. Hey, guys, look at this strong, motivated career woman. To bad she's actually weak inside because she relies on other people for support. Um, excuse me? I'm sure that lots of people have others they look up to and admire&#8212;
people whose deaths would be absolutely devastating.

Yes, Adrian Andrews seems to have
some issues with grief
, but that's hardly a sign of weakness. Andrews herself is clearly embarrassed by her psychological issues&#8212;that's perfectly realistic&#8212;but Pheonix and Edgeworth seem to refer to it as some type of dark secret&#8212;not just in Andrews's own view of herself, but also in reality.

Yes, Ace Attourney is meant to be a lighthearted, cartoony game, not a deep exploration of psychology. I just felt like it was kind of... iffy... for them to bring up a real psychological problem&#8212;
dealing with grief
&#8212;and then hand-wave it away with such a definitive, judgmental statement about Andrews's overall character.

One thing that's kind of bothering me though is the backstory they gave Adrian Andrews—not the backstory itself, per se, but the way the game describes it.

To be honest, it comes across as kind of sexist.

Seriously?

The fact that there are so many women shown in this series who aren't sexist should be a clear flag that this series isn't sexist. Why would they suddenly choose NOW that women are inferior to men? That makes no sense.

Was Acro sexist since he was motivated by grief at what happened to his brother? He looked like he was all fine and dandy when we talked with him and when he was in court?

The third game is gonna blow your mind at what women in this series can do.

Hey, guys, look at this strong, motivated career woman. To bad she's actually weak inside because she relies on other people for support. Um, excuse me? I'm sure that lots of people have others they look up to and admire—
people whose deaths would be absolutely devastating.

Adrian has
Codependency, a very real and very dangerous mental condition often with strong roots in depression and potentially suicidal tendencies.
Please read up on it.

Yes, Adrian Andrews seems to have
some issues with grief
, but that's hardly a sign of weakness.

Adrian doesn't have any particular problems with grief that could be considered weakness, but
her codependency makes her believe that she would be better off dead than not have someone to validate her. It is a factual illness and not related to her having a vagina.

Andrews herself is clearly embarrassed by her psychological issues—that's perfectly realistic—but Pheonix and Edgeworth seem to refer to it as some type of dark secret—not just in Andrews's own view of herself, but also in reality.

Embarrassed? She tried to kill herself!
Phoenix doesn't push Adrian's condition
and attempted suicide
out of respect for her and her privacy. Edgeworth did the same until
it started to compromise the case when she refused to testify because of her new codependency toward Franziska.
He had to get her to talk in order to find the truth about what happened that night.

Yes, Ace Attourney is meant to be a lighthearted, cartoony game, not a deep exploration of psychology. I just felt like it was kind of... iffy... for them to bring up a real psychological problem—
dealing with grief
—and then hand-wave it away with such a definitive, judgmental statement about Andrews's overall character.

Again, it's not grief she's suffering from. She wishes that was all she had to deal with. Her condition tells her that she lost her reason to live and all worth as a person died with Celeste. And what is the handwave? Calling it an illness? Which it factually is?

People suffering from
types of depression
don't wear it on their sleeve. The fact that she acts strong but
is actually miserable and mentally weak
is the very definition of the illness.

Seriously?

The fact that there are so many women shown in this series who aren't sexist should be a clear flag that this series isn't sexist. Why would they suddenly choose NOW that women are inferior to men? That makes no sense.

Sorry, I probably shouldn't have used the word sexist because of the connotations it carries within games media. I didn't mean it as a definitive label, and I certainly didn't mean to use the way that one character is described, in one section of one game, to make a judgement about the entirety of the series.

What rubbed me the wrong way was how Andrews's psyche is described so nonchalantly by both Phoenix and Edgeworth, and it would have bothered me regardless of Andrews's gender. I wish I had the actual quotes for reference, but since this is a video game (that I'm in the middle of), I don't have a good way to go back and find them.

I don't think that people should be defined by a psychological label. The fact that Andrews has a real medical condition makes this that much more pertinent. Is it not possible for Andrews to be both a productive and capable manager as well as a person who, at times, has psychological problems? I think that it is, but Pheonix didn't appear to.

Edit: And I also want to stress that it didn't bother me all that much. I didn't stop playing or anything—I love this case—but it registered in my memory enough to make me curious what other fans of the series would have to say. Clearly, you think it's a load of BS. :p

Sölf

I just finished the Ace Attorney manga. Sadly, it wasn't that great. I have two problems with it:
1.) No overarching plot. No big bad. Maybe one character appears in another case again, but that's it. However, that's not the main problem, imo.
2.) The cases are just too short. Nearly all cases only last for 2 chapters, which are roughly ~50-60 pages per chapter. Lengthwise that's basically 1-1 or 2-1 at best. It's just too short. Not enough evidence, not enough investigation, no nothing. The best case is the second one, which is also the longest with a length of 4 chapters. The third one has 3 chapters, covering the whole third volume, and that one is also good. But all other cases only last 2 or even 1 chapter and that's it. It's just not enough to establish good cases.

So, yeah. Can't really recommend it or at least I would say you could skip nearly half the manga because that's not good. Turnabout Gallows (the second one) and Turnabout Prophecy (the third one) are worth a read though.

Edit:
Here is a list of the manga chapters/length of the cases:

http://aceattorney.wikia.com/wiki/Phoenix_Wright_Manga

Edit 2:
Turnabout Prophecy is actually the fourth case, whoops.

PK Gaming

Sorry, I probably shouldn't have used the word sexist because of the connotations it carries within games media. I didn't mean it as a definitive label, and I certainly didn't mean to use the way that one character is described, in one section of one game, to make a judgement about the entirety of the series.

What rubbed me the wrong way was how Andrews's psyche is described so nonchalantly by both Phoenix and Edgeworth, and it would have bothered me regardless of Andrews's gender. I wish I had the actual quotes for reference, but since this is a video game (that I'm in the middle of), I don't have a good way to go back and find them.

I don't think that people should be defined by a psychological label. The fact that Andrews has a real medical condition makes this that much more pertinent. Is it not possible for Andrews to be both a productive and capable manager as well as a person who, at times, has psychological problems? I think that it is, but Pheonix didn't appear to.

Edit: And I also want to stress that it didn't bother me all that much. I didn't stop playing or anything—I love this case—but it registered in my memory enough to make me curious what other fans of the series would have to say. Clearly, you think it's a load of BS. :p

They treat her pretty poorly, but in Edgeworth's case he pretty much has 0 sympathy for someone who is potentially complicit in a crime. Nothing personal, it's just his policy.

Phoenix is just a dumb ass.

This murder case and the people involved are directly connected to her and her condition, so naturally it's going to be the center of discussion when analyzing her actions. It's the same when Phoenix brings up a person's past or mindset when explaining motives
like with Cody Hackins of 1-3, Jack Hammer's attempt to murder Vasquez, Lotta Hart's hunt for Gourdy in 1-4, Mimi Miney's desire to become Ini, or Acro's grief over Bat.
The only difference is a mental illness is involved this time.

Do you mean stuff like this (Spoiler for conclusion of 4-2's 2nd Investigation phase)? Because this is again staying consistent to the codependency condition.

In the worst case, Phoenix sees her
as a way out his situation De Killer has put him in, which plays into Justice For All's theme and Phoenix's character arc of learning what an attorney's purpose is. He's viewing a victim like Adrian as a tool he can use to win a not guilty verdict, which disgusts him as shown by him wondering if "Should Phoenix Wright choose death next" and his recent nightmares.

Baleoce

I am loving the anime so far. I've just been going through the first game again, and I love the details that they've kept in.

Finished AA2. I was kind of expecting another extra case 5 to appear after the credits, but w/e.

The game was good but as with AA1 I really thought a lot of the answers were too obtuse. And there were a lot of situations where the game wouldn't accept evidence that would have made sense given the conditions. AA5—the first Ace Attorney game I played—felt much more "fair" in that regard.

I'll start AA3 soon, but I want to finish Investigations 2 first. I stopped in the middle about a year ago, for a reason I don't quite remember.

Finished AA2. I was kind of expecting another extra case 5 to appear after the credits, but w/e.

The game was good but as with AA1 I really thought a lot of the answers were too obtuse. And there were a lot of situations where the game wouldn't accept evidence that would have made sense given the conditions. AA5—the first Ace Attorney game I played—felt much more "fair" in that regard.

I'll start AA3 soon, but I want to finish Investigations 2 first. I stopped in the middle about a year ago, for a reason I don't quite remember.
Yeah there are times where you jump ahead of the game in logic. Like say there's a knife that's crucial to your argument, but there's actually a glove that you need to present before the characters make a connection between the knife and the glove (just a random example). There were some instances in AA5 where this gets really bad (going on a wild goose chase in the school case, the characters have to spend like three hours discussing a theory that's obviously bogus just to get the pressure off the defendant for a bit) but that game is more user-friendly than the earlier AAs so it's no big deal.

And sometimes you'll just present a piece of evidence and your rationale is totally different from the game's lol but as long as you get it right!

Playing through the trilogy again there's something I really appreciate about the first game and that's how much more down-to-earth it seems in style and tone. I mean don't get me wrong, it's still pretty wacky, but for example, look at the characters. Just about everyone in the first game is conceivably Japanese in ethnicity (smaller eyes, hair color ranges from black to light brown) and when they're not they're goofballs like Redd White (who's American in the Japanese version) and treated as such. The second game got further out there and then by the third game they're just like "screw it, everyone has wacky anime hair now" and it's totally normal.

Not that it's a bad thing (for me anyway, I know there are some who hate the direction the series has gone in) but the first game just has a simpler charm to it I guess. 2-4 is still my favorite case in the series though, can't wait to see the anime do it if it's indeed where they end the series.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I hadn't played AA2 in years... Last month I replayed 2-4 and remembered how it was one of the best cases in the series, validated the entire game for me.

Lusankya

Don't forget there's an AA6 stream/event in about seven hours.

I expected news regarding case 3, but they mostly showed already known stuff. We got to hear some new music tracks, though.

If they intend to show something about case 3 prior to release they will probably do it quite soon. During the AA5 promotion we've got to see the first case 3 news 5 weeks before the release date.

GSR

I expected news regarding case 3, but they mostly showed already known stuff. We got to hear some new music tracks, though.

If they intend to show something about case 3 prior to release they will probably do it quite soon. During the AA5 promotion we've got to see the first case 3 news 5 weeks before the release date.

Yeah, I was expecting a little bit more. Maybe foolish given NicoNico Chou Kaigi didn't show off that much for DGS, but it is what it is. Maybe Famitsu's still salty about not getting the Maya reveal.

Lusankya

lmao, something I had never noticed before either, pointed out by Reddit.

Edit: Though that's not the actual sprite, so maybe it's like concept art?

Edit 2: Oh, so it totally is concept art. Heh, that explains it. Pretty *interesting*.

Although her final sprites are still a little bit different. No matter what animation she uses (when seeing her from the front) she always has her right arm raised to the chin. As Mia-Mia and Maya-Mia she only does so while being surprised.

Sölf

Finished up the Ace Attorney Investigation manga. It was a bit better than the normal Ace Attorney manga, but not by much. It did help that we no longer have a clear distinction between investigation and court session, but the cases itself are still too short, even though it fitted the AAI setting a bit better, imo. The two best cases, imo, were the fourth and the sevent one: "The Turnabout Museum" and "Turnabout! The Secret Of the Ogres". The fifth case actually featured Ema, but the case itself wasn't even that good.

As said, the cases are still just too short. While most have more chapters than the Ace Attorney cases, these chapters are shorter. The whole AAI manga has 25 chapters in 4 volumes compared to the 15 chapters in 5 volumes the AA manga had. If you had to choose between the two, I would say read the AAI manga, but both are definitly no must reads.

Lusankya

Official preview of the Famitsu article:

e0IPWcj.jpg

Well, it wouldn't be an Ace Attorney game featuring Maya if she wasn't accused of murder, now would it?

This week's Famitsu showcases the game's third case. When a priest is killed in the middle of a ritual, Maya is arrested and held responsible, leading Phoenix to take up her defense. Also introduced is the revolutionary forces in Kurain, the "Dragons of Rebellion".

Also shown is the game's key art, confirming Edgeworth and Blackquill in the main game. And finally, we can see that Ema will appear in Kurain as well to lend a hand.

http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=31904&p=1352554

Top Bottom