• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney [Mafia] |OT| Turnabout Scum

The idea is that you didn't kill N1. You had one item to give out, which we don't actually know if it does anything as Scrafty said she got no instructions or descriptions with it, to establish some trust before beginning NK's.

Fair enough. It would be a solid role. Give out an item to establish trust, and then go on killing.

TheGoddamn: Why did you feel CornBurrito might be NK'd on N1?

In your first post on D2 you say you found him scummy. Why not follow him if that was the case? You even vote for him after. What was so scummy about watching him and nothing happening?

As mentioned by others, I was a little thrown off by this interaction between StanleyPalmtree and CornBurrito:

Granted, I've never played with either of you before, but to nitpick on such a little thing-- and especially the word "hell"-- seemed like an overreaction. I mean, I know that we barely have anything to go on on D1, but man. I'd like to know what raised your hackles so quickly, CornBurrito. Your analysis of that post was WIFOM to the next level.

Squidy also replied to it.

However, I do also agree with roy about CornBurrito, though, having noticed it myself in my reread. From his seeming-like-filler role speculation to his Barrylocke vote, and especially the overreaction to StanleyPalmtree's opening post. Trying to make something out of nothing. Granted, it could be another Barrylocke vote situation where CB is trying to gauge reactions (which I've evidently fallen for), but again, it rubbed me the wrong way.

This may have colored my perception of the exchange between Zeke and CB-- Zeke didn't seem that defensive to me. I'm not sure which is bias and which is an accurate read, because I've played with Zeke before. (Sorry for bringing a previous game into this) He was Archer, but was seen to act suspicious then too.

Obviously, this is all a (late) read of D1, so it's mostly gut feelings and reactions to interactions. I'll happily eat my words should it turn out that CB was town all along. [Although yeah, with RNH being the sole vote on CB yesterday, if CB were scum, that would have been a stupid play. But with CB's WIFOM style, it could be a possibility.]

CB mentions feeling like a good lynch target but a few people express confusion over why. Having trouble tracking that down though.

VOTE: Zubz

There have to be people lying here, and I'd wager that you're one of them. Ezekel has already covered some of your weird behavior, and your Dahlia posts are simply impossible for me to read as coincidental- if they are then I'm sorry but you have the worst luck in the world. Let's not forget TWE's concern over Crimson's D1 vote against you.

I've gotta agree here.

It would be bizarro world to have scum Xam with a town Stanley. A town backup cop that activates only when the scum cop dies?

What if Xam isn't a scum cop, but a neutral? This is completely hypothetical, but let's pretend that Xam is a neutral cop who only wins when a town Stanley makes it to the end of the game. He can check for alignment each night, and additionally will be told when he's found Ema (Stanley in this scenario.) Town's win condition requires neutrals to be removed, whereas scum's win condition would allow Stanley to be part of the group of townies left after scum becomes the majority. If scum is aware somehow of the fact that Xam can't win with town, it could explain his survival thus far, as he would have an active interest towards working against town. This would fit somewhat well with AA lore too, as Lana would do anything for Ema, even work with corrupt individuals.

I'm not sure how likely this is though, as not only does it sound like a strange role, but unless checks were in place, scum could simply kill Stanley towards the end and remove both him and Xam at once. There's really little evidence for this scenario, but I figured I'd entertain the possibility anyway since we're on the topic.

MA, thoughts on killing SP to prove his role and xam's role?

I think that's a bad move. As long as we have the ability to make cases against possible scum, I'll probably lean in that direction- and because I believe Zubz is scum, I'd rather lynch him.

If we were hard pressed to make a case against someone on another day, I might think that it would be an okay use of a lynch so it wouldn't be a total crapshoot.

I think that's a bad move. As long as we have the ability to make cases against possible scum, I'll probably lean in that direction- and because I believe Zubz is scum, I'd rather lynch him.

If we were hard pressed to make a case against someone on another day, I might think that it would be an okay use of a lynch so it wouldn't be a total crapshoot.

Wouldn't killing SP give us more info on whether we can trust xam and his reads?

Wouldn't killing SP give us more info on whether we can trust xam and his reads?

Potentially. If SP is lying though, what then? Maybe he's scum, but that wouldn't necessarily reflect upon Xam's role. What if scum manages to kill Xam after we lynch SP? Then we only have the checks he's already made, which are on people who I already read as town.

I would rather use our lynch on somebody who I read as scum now. I don't want to rely on power roles to the point where we waste an entire lynch (not to mention dealing with the night kill(s) that will follow) just to corroborate one, unless it's an absolute last resort. Better to scum hunt now with our own deductive abilities and treat Xam's results with a grain of salt if you're suspicious of him.

Alright so
I am now home
Big post is here
-----------------------
Ya'll remember how I talked about how I was 90% sure why I wasn't targeted for a kill?
In fact, I knew I wasn't.
I am Ascetic, I shrug off any and all non-killing actions performed against me each night, be it Town or Scum.
That's why both CornB and TheGoddamn failed on trying to use their actions on me.
Why didn't I talk about this earlier? I wanted to see if I could attract some actions, and it didn't really work out, with CornB and TheGoddamn wasting actions. I also likely absorbed a Blackmail card, but Salva got lynched, so that point is moot.
Therefore, you probably shouldn't attempt to do anything to me that isn't a kill tonight, because shit ain't gonna happen.
When Stanley claimed, at first I was suspicious, but it makes more sense now in the context of my role, because normally I would be viable to be killed pretty early on assuming Scum had brains. A backup cop certainly fits.
Ask as many questions you might have.

Ehh. TheGoddamn's claim is not sitting well. What he says about N1 completely contradicts his behavior in the thread.

Also, we already had a confirmed town watcher in RNH.

No vote D1. Easy bus D2. Vote on likely not scum D3 even if it didn't count.

He confirms the block on Xam N2 but hints CB may have been killing rather than giving items. Of course, TheGoddamn may also have been there to kill and been blocked.

First post D3 he wonders if Bowlie whipped N2. One might normally think non-consecutive vig might hit D1 to get the power out in case of NK. But if you know scum kill was blocked, you might let slip the vig must have hit N2.

With CB confirmed giving out an item and 2 kills a night every night with a decent chance the vig did something at some point, I'm going to trust CB for now. As you said in your attacks on him, breadcrumbing a role doesn't mean you are that role. It can easily be a base set down by scum to fall back on.

Vote: TheGoddamn

Potentially. If SP is lying though, what then? Maybe he's scum, but that wouldn't necessarily reflect upon Xam's role. What if scum manages to kill Xam after we lynch SP? Then we only have the checks he's already made, which are on people who I already read as town.

I would rather use our lynch on somebody who I read as scum now. I don't want to rely on power roles to the point where we waste an entire lynch (not to mention dealing with the night kill(s) that will follow) just to corroborate one, unless it's an absolute last resort. Better to scum hunt now with our own deductive abilities and treat Xam's results with a grain of salt if you're suspicious of him.
Thing is, the longer this goes, the more we would be screwed if Xam isn't a cop and is scum. The Zubz angle doesnt depend on time we can still take him out the next day phase if nothing happens.

Xam, if you are town and have this ascetic quality, what type of scum actions besides a NK were you thinking you would draw? This sounds like a great way to waste the time of a bunch of town pr's, who wouldn't even be able to see who killed you if you went.

Xam, if you are town and have this ascetic quality, what type of scum actions besides a NK were you thinking you would draw? This sounds like a great way to waste the time of a bunch of town pr's, who wouldn't even be able to see who killed you if you went.
Scum could have roleblocks, scum watchers/trackers/cops, or any other variety of non-killing roles.

Thing is, the longer this goes, the more we would be screwed if Xam isn't a cop and is scum. The Zubz angle doesnt depend on time we can still take him out the next day phase if nothing happens.

I mean, I guess that's one way you can look at it. Flip it around though: what if Zubz is scum and has a power role? It could be extremely beneficial to nip such a role in the bud. Of course, there's not necessarily any reason to believe one way or the other that Zubz has a scum power, but it's at least a possibility. Plus, SP and Xam will still be here tomorrow, unless they get killed, in which case we would be glad we didn't waste the lynch on either.

I also want to say that as the game goes on, it should become harder and harder for a scum Xam to maintain his facade of being a townie- we might not even need SP's flip to prove him scum.

I don't think your argument for lynching SP is wrong exactly, but personally I'm not entirely comfortable with it. I would rather see where lynching Zubz gets us.

Alright so
I am now home
Big post is here
-----------------------
Ya'll remember how I talked about how I was 90% sure why I wasn't targeted for a kill?
In fact, I knew I wasn't.
I am Ascetic, I shrug off any and all non-killing actions performed against me each night, be it Town or Scum.
That's why both CornB and TheGoddamn failed on trying to use their actions on me.
Why didn't I talk about this earlier? I wanted to see if I could attract some actions, and it didn't really work out, with CornB and TheGoddamn wasting actions. I also likely absorbed a Blackmail card, but Salva got lynched, so that point is moot.
Therefore, you probably shouldn't attempt to do anything to me that isn't a kill tonight, because shit ain't gonna happen.
When Stanley claimed, at first I was suspicious, but it makes more sense now in the context of my role, because normally I would be viable to be killed pretty early on assuming Scum had brains. A backup cop certainly fits.
Ask as many questions you might have.

Wait wha....

you get infinite cop powers and immunity to any non-killing actions.

Huh.... Well I guess that means you actually can't be protected from kills. So that's the tradeoff but.... huh

Wait wha....

you get infinite cop powers and immunity to any non-killing actions.

Huh.... Well I guess that means you actually can't be protected from kills. So that's the tradeoff but.... huh
But this also makes sense if we have a Godfather-type role, because I might be enabled to make a false green check earlier
Godfather Role doesn't do shit if the cops aren't able to feasibly check it out

Scum could have roleblocks, scum watchers/trackers/cops, or any other variety of non-killing roles.
But how many of them would realistically be used on a claimed cop? And even if they thought you were blocked before, why leave you alive to possibly find scum after the block went down?

Maybe scum have literally just been randoming all the kills
I dunno

No I doubt the last two were random.

Avoiding you and Scrafty could be down to "hmm well if anyone would be protected its them". So the N1 kills do make sense a bit.

Anyway we need to reach a consensus at some point before the day ends on who to lynch.

No I doubt the last two were random.

Avoiding you and Scrafty could be down to "hmm well if anyone would be protected its them". So the N1 kills do make sense a bit.

Anyway we need to reach a consensus at some point before the day ends on who to lynch.
How vehemently are you against squidy?

Im obviously biased here, but i would agree with MA's reasoning, would rather actually ry to hunt scum than waste time (and lives) lynching me and not really changing anything.
Im all for voting Zubz.

Also one thing to consider that i dont think anyone brought up, if Xam is lying about his role then clearly i would be as well (unless he is a scum cop, but that just seems crazy), two scum working together like that to fake roles seems like a really stupid play, given how easy it would be for one mistake to screw up/expose both players.

Im obviously biased here, but i would agree with MA's reasoning, would rather actually ry to hunt scum than waste time (and lives) lynching me and not really changing anything.
Im all for voting Zubz.

Also one thing to consider that i dont think anyone brought up, if Xam is lying about his role then clearly i would be as well (unless he is a scum cop, but that just seems crazy), two scum working together like that to fake roles seems like a really stupid play, given how easy it would be for one mistake to screw up/expose both players.

Personally I think voting for you -is- scum hunting.

I actually sort of forgot about Zubs. I'd be ok with a Zubz vote, or voting for you to be honest.

So since Xam has claimed ascetic, we have to ask ourselves: if he's telling the truth, how much does scum want to risk letting him have a shot at discovering them? I personally think it likely that despite the fact that we're all discussing ways to try to prove him, they can't afford to let him survive the night (especially now that they know their kill cannot be blocked.)

If we lynch Stanley and he's telling the truth, then there's a high probability we'd lose both of our investigators by tomorrow. Thus, I think that it would be incredibly irresponsible to go with the SP lynch plan until we've seen how scum chooses to react to today's events.

I'm still of the mindset of the sooner we can confirm anything of Xam's role, the better.

In the case that Zubz has a killing role/NK StarSkecth can jail him. And we can handle that the next day phase.

I'm still of the mindset of the sooner we can confirm anything of Xam's role, the better.

In the case that Zubz has a killing role/NK StarSkecth can jail him. And we can handle that the next day phase.
Say we lynch Stanley, and he was telling the truth
At night, Scum will kill me
That's both the investigative roles gone

Tomorrow is the day for a fake cop to strike. Frankly, I will be very skeptical of your report tomorrow unless Stanley flips the way he claims today or tonight. If he flips scum, all the better.

SP's roleclaim just rubs me the wrong way. He went to no effort at all to hide the fact that he had the possibility to be a cop. He could've just claimed vanilla town and been ok.
1. I asked for nameclaims, not roleclaims
2. Of the ppl who roleclaimed, it's been very minor, nothing too major that would be helpful or harmful to town if scum knew their role.
3. He felt the need to roleclaim off one vote from CB?
4. He already knew the identify of our cop and that xam could die at any moment, but felt the need to let scum know we may have a backup cop. Him saying I'm Ema Skye wouldve been enough for a claim. This late in the game, that's worse than xam's initial roleclaim. CB held a little nugget about his role, so did xam, but SP just laid it all out there.

I find it odd no one said anything about number 4, just gobbled up the claim with no thoughts/criticisms on it.

Just as likely that zubz is scum, it can be just as likely that SP came up with this out of no where. At no point in the game has SP said anything to back up what Xam has said. I went through all of his posts in this thread and no where does he even mention xam except this day phase. CB/TG/Star/RNH all breadcrumbed things to use as evidence of their eventual roleclaim. SP didn't even bother to say "I think xam is telling the truth" or "I think we should believe him" or ANYTHING. He basically had proof Xam was telling the truth about his role, but said nothing about it.

SP's roleclaim just rubs me the wrong way. He went to no effort at all to hide the fact that he had the possibility to be a cop. He could've just claimed vanilla town and been ok.
1. I asked for nameclaims, not roleclaims
2. Of the ppl who roleclaimed, it's been very minor, nothing too major that would be helpful or harmful to town if scum knew their role.
3. He felt the need to roleclaim off one vote from CB?
4. He already knew the identify of our cop and that xam could die at any moment, but felt the need to let scum know we may have a backup cop. Him saying I'm Ema Skye wouldve been enough for a claim. This late in the game, that's worse than xam's initial roleclaim. CB held a little nugget about his role, so did xam, but SP just laid it all out there.

I find it odd no one said anything about number 4, just gobbled up the claim with no thoughts/criticisms on it.

Just as likely that zubz is scum, it can be just as likely that SP came up with this out of no where. At no point in the game has SP said anything to back up what Xam has said. I went through all of his posts in this thread and no where does he even mention xam except this day phase. CB/TG/Star/RNH all breadcrumbed things to use as evidence of their eventual roleclaim. SP didn't even bother to say "I think xam is telling the truth" or "I think we should believe him" or ANYTHING. He basically had proof Xam was telling the truth about his role, but said nothing about it.

0. wait, you want me to lie? im very confused by this point.
1. and 5. i wasnt role-claiming to you, i was role-claiming to everyone, it looked like everyone was, i thought this is what we wanted, to get them all out there and look for contradictions.
3. nope, i felt almost zero pressure from that, still not even sure why he did that vote.
2. and 4. at this point i dont think i will get much use out of this role beyond supporting Xam's role claim, which i tought would help a lot given how few suspects we have, i wasnt expecting to support this through being lynched, but i will if i have to.
6. i have been really inactive this whole game, offering next to nothing in terms or reads or support for other players theories. to suddenly come out and support something that Xam said would have drawn attention to me, which would have been a real problem if Xam died (which i really thought was going to happen, like, really, still amazed that hes stuck around) and i did inherit his power. now if Xam had identfied a scum player and people were not believing him, then yeah i probably would have spoken up, but he only hit towns, and others doubting him (of which there seemed to be very little) was not causing much of a problem.

Zubz

Banned
Damnit. This is Archer game all over again, isn't it? I've already explained everything about Zeke's post (Sorry I got a number of details wrong, though), and that the Dahlia stuff that Matt's stuck on is seriously a coincidence (And barely one at that, seeing how someone gets possessed, like, 3+ times per Ace Attorney game). As for Edge defending me, he may have been trying to paint me as a teammate, since I was being all buddy-buddy with him in my posts prior to the game even began; depending on who died first, it either paints me as bad for him supporting me, or him as innocent for him doing the same. But, again, my trust for Edge was because he's genuinely an erratic player.

I'm always bad at convincing people to back down when I have my back to the wall, so I don't know what I can do to make you guys not waste a vote on a Vanilla Town several days into the game. I will agree with Zeke that I think Palmtree may be faking his claim, and we have a conspicuous number of Vanillas as well. The weirdest one to me is Squidy, but I could just be swayed by the "He's a Godfather" argument, as well as me psyching myself into thinking this because Apollo doesn't seem like a Vanilla role (But then again, so did Edgeworth). I trust Squidy less than Stanley, but I don't trust either of them, and Stanley's the only vote between the two that might outweigh the ones for myself. If I somehow survive this day, I definitely want to look for Squidy next. But for now?

Vote: StanleyPalmtree

Guys
If you pile on stanley, we run the risk of both losing our potential backup cop and the actual cop in quick sucession

Ok let me explain this. It doesn't matter because you revealed your "anti-PR field" ability.

You are immune to everything but being killed.

Scum WILL kill you tonight, since you've outed that you CANNOT be protected.

D5 begins. Stanley now becomes backup cop (if he's telling the truth).

N6 begins. Stanley is killed.

No matter what happens, we won't get use of our potential backup cop. Unless Stanley happens to be town AND gets protected. But we have no straight protective abilities that don't prevent Stanley from using his powers.

0. wait, you want me to lie? im very confused by this point.
1. and 5. i wasnt role-claiming to you, i was role-claiming to everyone, it looked like everyone was, i thought this is what we wanted, to get them all out there and look for contradictions.
3. nope, i felt almost zero pressure from that, still not even sure why he did that vote.
2. and 4. at this point i dont think i will get much use out of this role beyond supporting Xam's role claim, which i tought would help a lot given how few suspects we have, i wasnt expecting to support this through being lynched, but i will if i have to.
6. i have been really inactive this whole game, offering next to nothing in terms or reads or support for other players theories. to suddenly come out and support something that Xam said would have drawn attention to me, which would have been a real problem if Xam died (which i really thought was going to happen, like, really, still amazed that hes stuck around) and i did inherit his power. now if Xam had identfied a scum player and people were not believing him, then yeah i probably would have spoken up, but he only hit towns, and others doubting him (of which there seemed to be very little) was not causing much of a problem.
0. I wanted you to not let scum know you were a cop. Idk what's confusing about that.
1/3/5. The thought of you hiding a powerful role and only nameclaiming never occured to you?
2/4. We are losing 2 townies a night and you still don't think the role would be put to much use?
6. Saying "I'm willing to believe Xam" or something of that nature isn't the same as claiming to be a cop and painting a target of your back. Also "to suddenly come out and support xam"? It's not like you two have been at each other's necks this whole time then you changed your tune when he roleclaimed. He claimed on Day 2, 2 weeks ago and you haven't mentioned xam once before today. I'm not saying you should've been "I believe Xam because I'm Ema, I become cop if Xam dies." But if you were able to point back and say "In this post 344 when I said "I'm willing to give xam a shot" it's because I am Ema Skye." Would've made things more believable. Also that last part makes no real sense. You would claim if he had a scum player?

Ok let me explain this. It doesn't matter because you revealed your "anti-PR field" ability.

You are immune to everything but being killed.

Scum WILL kill you tonight, since you've outed that you CANNOT be protected.

D5 begins. Stanley now becomes backup cop (if he's telling the truth).

N6 begins. Stanley is killed.

No matter what happens, we won't get use of our potential backup cop. Unless Stanley happens to be town AND gets protected. But we have no straight protective abilities that don't prevent Stanley from using his powers.
But you see, Goddamn can Watch stanley and see who visits him

The short of it is that not voting for Stanley because "we might lose both our cops" is a bit foolish. If Stanley's claim is legitimate we'll lose both cops either way.

I suppose not voting for Stanley means making scum use another night kill on N6, but if Stanley isn't killed on N6 we have to waste D7 lynching Stanley for not being night killed. Which will just go around in circles.

Top Bottom