• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney [Mafia] |OT| Turnabout Scum

Quick thing I noticed:

Scrafty's Role PM said:
You win when all non-town players have been eliminated from the game and there is at least one town player still alive.

My PM says this too, so does this mean that there is or isn't a neutral, you think?

squidyj

Quick thing I noticed:

My PM says this too, so does this mean that there is or isn't a neutral, you think?

I should hope your PM says this too, otherwise you'd be on some team that isn't town. It's also on the Wendy Oldbag (good riddance) example PM. I actually think it's kind of weird that you felt the need to mention that your PM says the same thing about the town win condition as someone elses.

I should hope your PM says this too, otherwise you'd be on some team that isn't town. It's also on the Wendy Oldbag (good riddance) example PM. I actually think it's kind of weird that you felt the need to mention that your PM says the same thing about the town win condition as someone elses.

Yeah I realized that it looked bad right after I posted it. I would have edited, but it's against the rules :|

I bet you anything this is going to bite me in the ass later, as usual.

Would be nice to hear from

Bowlie
RedFalco
StanleyPalmtree
TheGoddamn

hope I didn't miss anyone.

Stanley's already stated that he'll be absent for the first part of today's proceeding so we likely won't be hearing from him in a little while.

In the meantime, I must make it clear that I feel hesitant about those saying I should be the one to choose who dies today. A confirmed benevolent is a very easy shield to hide behind for would-be criminals, so I think it'd be better if everyone made nominations first and I decide who to vote for based on whom I feel is the most suspicious. The sooner I vote the sooner others have a bandwagon to pile on, and that will do nothing but further obscure the truth.

Yeah I realized that it looked bad right after I posted it. I would have edited, but it's against the rules :|

I bet you anything this is going to bite me in the ass later, as usual.

Nah, I wouldnt really think too much about this. I don't think it's weird that he mentioned his PM because honestly it's the first day and showing whose team you are on early can't be judged too much.

So I've been thinking, and most likely all the PR in this game have important character names. Like... Phoenix Wright isn't going to be a normal town role.

So I think name claiming should be considered as serious as role claiming. Which is to say, don't do it. Or don't do it lightly.

I also am wondering about scum names. I think giving the scum PR obvious villain names is risky. Unless no name cop exists. Which may very well be the case. But then this creates the issue of "Ok everyone name claim now" and scum having to scramble to come up with plausible non-villain character names that won't get counter claimed.

Which may mean that scum has been given a list of names that are safe. This was the case in Election. So that also means that we can't be too lax. If someone seems super scummy, and the only thing saving them is something like "I'm Miles Edgeworth" then it may be best to not spare them over that.

Bonus speculation: Winston Payne is either a scum character or a neutral role in this game.

Other speculation:

I predict that Apollo's Bracele or Phoenix's Magatama have made it into the game in some way. My guess is we have an Apollo or Phoenix role that function as cops. Maybe cop/backup cop.

I also predict that there are one or more Override powers. OVERRULED, or OBJECTION as the keyword or something.

I predict scum will have a way to forge evidence against other players, as a direct counter to cop/investigative roles.

And NO. DO NOT respond to my speculation, It is probably safest that way. I just want to get my predictions in early so I can stroke me ego if I am right later on.

It seems weird for Edgeworth to be a neutral role in the game when he seems set to be so involved in the flavor.

Can very well depend on the timeline of the game. I don't really want to discuss it too far in depth because of spoilers (though there WERE warnings about spoilers), but a Neutral Edgeworth isn't that far fetched.

So I've been thinking, and most likely all the PR in this game have important character names. Like... Phoenix Wright isn't going to be a normal town role.

So I think name claiming should be considered as serious as role claiming. Which is to say, don't do it. Or don't do it lightly.

I also am wondering about scum names. I think giving the scum PR obvious villain names is risky. Unless no name cop exists. Which may very well be the case. But then this creates the issue of "Ok everyone name claim now" and scum having to scramble to come up with plausible non-villain character names that won't get counter claimed.

Which may mean that scum has been given a list of names that are safe. This was the case in Election. So that also means that we can't be too lax. If someone seems super scummy, and the only thing saving them is something like "I'm Miles Edgeworth" then it may be best to not spare them over that.

Bonus speculation: Winston Payne is either a scum character or a neutral role in this game.

Only if we could use as system where everyone puts forward their name at the same time as to catch anyone out.

P.S. I'm also assuming if the character rolls do reflect Mafia rolls than they are probably based of the character's synopsis opposed to more deep story related traits.

Only if we could use as system where everyone puts forward their name at the same time as to catch anyone out.

Unfortunately even if we could all time coordinate, it wouldn't work.

There are at least a few characters that could conceivably be either scum or town depending on which version of the character is used. And then scum could have a list of safe unused names.

Unfortunately even if we could all time coordinate, it wouldn't work.

There are at least a few characters that could conceivably be either scum or town depending on which version of the character is used. And then scum could have a list of safe unused names.

But we could possibly catch out doubles from scum using an obvious townie name that was already taken.

But we could possibly catch out doubles from scum using an obvious townie name that was already taken.

In Election, scum team was given (by the Moderator of the game) a list of viable names to use for role claims. Names that were valid from a flavor standpoint, AND that were not already given to other players.

If that happened in this game as well, there wouldn't be any doubles.

squidyj

no, we can't
I'm willing to guess that our characters are all named, that means that to avoid just such a thing occurring it is likely that Sorian provided the members of the scum team with fake identities that he knew were not otherwise being used. Like maybe there's no Klavier in the game and he gave them a Klavier role they could claim (amongst others).

In this scenario even if we all named our roles at the same time there would be a pile of town-looking or town-possible names and NO overlaps.

In Election, scum team was given (by the Moderator of the game) a list of viable names to use for role claims. Names that were valid from a flavor standpoint, AND that were not already given to other players.

If that happened in this game as well, there wouldn't be any doubles.

no, we can't
I'm willing to guess that our characters are all named, that means that to avoid just such a thing occurring it is likely that Sorian provided the members of the scum team with fake identities that he knew were not otherwise being used. Like maybe there's no Klavier in the game and he gave them a Klavier role they could claim (amongst others).

In this scenario even if we all named our roles at the same time there would be a pile of town-looking or town-possible names and NO overlaps.

Well shit, I'm out of ideas.

squidyj

Well shit, I'm out of ideas.

well alright then, good game, lets pack it in and go home :p
do you have any opinions on any of the other players playing the game as of yet? any interactions that stand out to you or things that you think might be a little weird? or people you think are doing a good job?

I know we're only a few hours into it so I'm not really expecting a lot but that's really the job.

well alright then, good game, lets pack it in and go home :p
do you have any opinions on any of the other players playing the game as of yet? any interactions that stand out to you or things that you think might be a little weird? or people you think are doing a good job?

I know we're only a few hours into it so I'm not really expecting a lot but that's really the job.

I think that we need everyone to post a few times first before we can start to draw any lines.

Zubz

Banned
Why not? Any reason for it being "weird?"

I can't speak for Edge, but I think it's a little weird because I've done nothing too weird one way or the other so far. Granted, I haven't done much of anything so far, but it's not like we're a day and a half into the game without a word; the game's only been going for less than 7 hours (And the vote was made 30 minutes after the game started). That's totally a reasonable amount of time for someone to be away from the computer.

Plus, you already voted for Xam before that. You were pretty bloodthirsty for that first half hour.

Speaking of which, hey everyone! Sorry I wasn't here when court was brought to order; I was at a rehearsal dinner. It doesn't seem like too much has gone on beyond a couple of early votes (Nothing too out of the ordinary, really), and, of course, Scrafty being immediately cleared (Unless there's a "Vampire" role that turns Village/Neutral roles into Evil ones, but I doubt that, given the game's theme. Unless, like,
Dahlia
's a role). As per usual, I'm not opposed to a No Kill (Especially because the flavor makes it sound like our characters would have no reason to start murdering each other), but understand that we should probably kill someone today. I just don't know who. I mean Crimson's the only one sticking out, but not as suspicious. He just seems a bit overzealous.

Just as a heads up, between no longer having a job where I'm by a computer and late night classes, I just want to remind everyone that I'll probably have minimal activity on Wednesdays and Thursdays, by the way. I'll be sure to post/vote, but not to the same degree as on the other days. Thanks!

Ah, the lovely position of not being aware of the latest player memes.

Why Zubz? Weird.

Im all in favor of a Day 1 Lynch. It's ridiculous not to. I'm not going to blind vote now but I will have a vote by the end of the day.

Why was Zubz early day 1 vote weird and not Hipster Cthulhu's?

At least now that I'm confirmed to be an ally of JUSTICE, no one can attempt to undermine or cast suspicion on me.

CUEjHer.gif

It's an interesting mechanic/"power" for you to be outed immediately, Pearls. Being a confirmed town is incredibly useful right off the bat, and makes sure you smell good to everyone else right away. I don't particularly agree with it making you a prime target right away, because to scum, practically everyone else is confirmed town (neutrals aside). I do agree with you holding back and observing first before voting, because bandwagoning off your vote is an easy trick.

Would be nice to hear from

Bowlie
RedFalco
StanleyPalmtree
TheGoddamn

hope I didn't miss anyone.

Good to be playing with you again, squid! And sorry! The day started at 6am on Valentine's Day, and tomorrow is also our anniversary. I'm only sneaking this post in.

CeJsBeR.gif

(He's soaking wet)

My Chords of Steel are ready for-

latest

Pls

no more clones

CUEjHer.gif

It's an interesting mechanic/"power" for you to be outed immediately, Pearls. Being a confirmed town is incredibly useful right off the bat, and makes sure you smell good to everyone else right away. I don't particularly agree with it making you a prime target right away, because to scum, practically everyone else is confirmed town (neutrals aside). I do agree with you holding back and observing first before voting, because bandwagoning off your vote is an easy trick.

The trick is that ScraftyDevil is also confirmed town for the town as well. The mafia thrives in murky situations, so its often best to leave suspicious town players alive that may get town voted later. A confirmed townie is basically the opposite of that.

Although in terms of personal thoughts, I don't think she'll die right away. It'll be an early death though, when the mafia needs a safe choice. Poor litt....little?...girl?...

*drinks coffee*

mourning everybody,
i see we are off to a hell of a rolling start today!

Im all for a day 1 lynch, accusations and self-defense leaves a lot of material from all party's to be used later, and if this follows the spirit of Ace Attorney, we will be wanting as much evidence as we can get.

That said i wont be supporting the idea of blindly following whoever scrafty votes for, blind votes means no justification, which means no material to build a case on later. (also it would be as boring as iced tea).

roytheone

I'm here! It's just that as the new guy I don't have much to say; I'm basically seeing what you're talking about (like role names or strategies) and searching at a wiki.

Don't be afraid to chime in! In the end, regardless of how many PR we may have, the posts you make will be our primary tool to try and decide if you are town or scum! It don't necessarily need to be completely new theories and ideas, your opinions on existing subjects will already be valuable to us!

About the mass role claim: I agree that will most likely just lead to us shooting ourselves in the foot. Scum almost certainly has a list of fake role names (I think HP was the only game with named characters that didn't had that, and pretty much everyone agrees that was a huge mistake), so that will leave us with a list of names we can't really do a lot with, but scum could use to try and narrow down their search for powerful PR.

Bowlie

Banned
So far I only have doubts about StarSketch. If she's a townie, then she made a foolish mistake by making herself sound suspicious. If she's not, then she did a weak bluff by sounding so suspicious she wouldn't actually be suspected.

(and TheWorthyEdge addressed her as "he")

*drinks coffee*

mourning everybody,
i see we are off to a hell of a rolling start today!

Between the avatar, the intentional typo, and the use of the word "hell" I think you may actually be scum that is deliberately fucking with town. Knowing that nobody will take an early post like this seriously.

roytheone

Between the avatar, the intentional typo, and the use of the word "hell" I think you may actually be scum that is deliberately fucking with town. Knowing that nobody will take an early post like this seriously.

It's day 1 though, those kind of small, weird things can get your ass lynched, since we have so little to go on.

RedFalco

Hello everyone.
Chiming in just to let you know I'm here.
Although admittedly I've only been able to quickly skim through the thread since I've been busy. Working retail during the holidays sucks(plus I got a date tonight! :D)
Hopefully later on today or tomorrow I'll be up to speed and post some thoughts.

Hello everyone.
Chiming in just to let you know I'm here.
Although admittedly I've only been able to quickly skim through the thread since I've been busy. Working retail during the holidays sucks(plus I got a date tonight! :D)
Hopefully later on today or tomorrow I'll be up to speed and post some thoughts.
Go get her, sport.

Hey Xam, maybe you can give some thoughts on the game that you're actually supposed to be playing in. I'm against lynching you based on past behaviour, but if you don't contribute anything useful today, I'll happily switch my vote back to you.

If you need some prompts, here's a few people I wouldn't mind hearing thoughts on, although I realise that it being day 1, there's not really too much to go on yet:
1) Starsketch
2) TheWorthyEdge
3) QuantumBro

Just to be clear in case anyone questions my motives: I will not be casting a vote until everyone else has, and anyone who has not cast a vote near the end of the day will be scrutinized. Think independently, don't just follow what you think is a safe pick because you're afraid of being judged for it later.

roytheone

Just to be clear in case anyone questions my motives: I will not be casting a vote until everyone else has, and anyone who has not cast a vote near the end of the day will be scrutinized. Think independently, don't just follow what you think is a safe pick because you're afraid of being judged for it later.

To add to this:Being judged on your actions is not necessary a bad thing, how people judge you can help us to find scum! So don't be afraid to put your own thought forward, even if that means you become more suspect, how people interact with you is valuable information in itself.

Ah, the lovely position of not being aware of the latest player memes.

Why was Zubz early day 1 vote weird and not Hipster Cthulhu's?

It's not that it is, but I don't understand why you would start a day off immediately voting for people lol. Wait a bit for things to settle, for people to arrive, and then use as much as you have to try and get something going.

Top Bottom