• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Captain-America-Civil-War-SH-Figuarts.jpg

While I'm satisfied with the Age of Ultron versions of Captain America, Iron Man, Black Widow and Hawkeye, I absolutely can't wait to get some figures of Black Panther, Winter Soldier, Vision, Ant-Man, Falcon and Scarlet Witch (and Spider-Man eventually?)

Captain-America-Civil-War-SH-Figuarts.jpg

While I'm satisfied with the Age of Ultron versions of Captain America, Iron Man, Black Widow and Hawkeye, I absolutely can't wait to get some figures of Black Panther, Winter Soldier, Vision, Ant-Man, Falcon and Scarlet Witch (and Spider-Man eventually?)

Winter Soldier and Black Panther are my most wanted for Figuarts. Fuck YES.

Speaking of, did I miss Widow, Hawkeye and Stark??

I don't like the face for most of Age of Ultron figuarts. I hope they get better at the face sculpt for Civil War. I'm hyped for pretty much all the masked character like Black Phanter though.

NEO0MJ

Is that Dragonzord any different than the original one from the 90's? I still have mine (and the White Tiger Zord).

It's an entirely new mold that's more screen accurate than the original. Kinda like Masterpiece Transformers though not as detailed.

Right now they remade the original Megazord, the Dragonzord, Titanus, and the White Tigerzord. The Thunder Megazord and White Falconzord are coming soon, and I imagine the Ninja Megazord after those.

LiK

That would push me over the edge as it stands the figure feels like it is missing something.

Yea, without an alt head, it's a pretty basic figure. I don't care for his mask so I'm on the fence about getting one. The lightsaber is tempting tho.

SeanC

I'm looking for a pretty nice Vader figure of some sort and looking for GAF suggestions (long time lurker and this is one of my favorite threads). I'm not looking to play with it, just have something that looks cool in my office. I currently have no Star Wars figures other than a couple Funko things and the SDCC Boba Fett from a few years back.

I like the Figuarts Vader, and I might get that Jedi Luke along with it, but I feel it's almost too small at least going by past Figuarts figures I have (I haven't seen the Vader in person, so I'm only assuming). It doesn't have as many accessories as other Figuarts I've seen, but it's Vader so he probably doesn't have a ton to offer.

What's the consensus on the most recent Kotobukiya Vader with the different arms, head and pose options? I'm not looking for massive posability and I am leaning towards this one because of the size and that one pose I see in samples (Hand outreached and saber to the side) is probably what I'd pose any Vader figure as so it's like it's kind of doing it for me.

Worse comes to worse, that Vader Sixth Scale Hot Toys is f'n gorgeous looking and I can always get that one. I'd prefer to not pay a huge amount, though, only because I feel the "Vader likeness" seems harder to find bad ones than, say, something that looks nothing like Harrison Ford (like most of the non-Sideshow Indiana Jones/Han Solo stuff) where the face sculpt is super important. Hence why I'm doing a post and getting others' impressions. Plus I'd rather spend that money on the Old Obi-Wan if I'm getting an expensive figure like that.

Cptkrush

I'm looking for a pretty nice Vader figure of some sort and looking for GAF suggestions (long time lurker and this is one of my favorite threads). I'm not looking to play with it, just have something that looks cool in my office. I currently have no Star Wars figures other than a couple Funko things and the SDCC Boba Fett from a few years back.

I like the Figuarts Vader, and I might get that Jedi Luke along with it, but I feel it's almost too small at least going by past Figuarts figures I have (I haven't seen the Vader in person, so I'm only assuming). It doesn't have as many accessories as other Figuarts I've seen, but it's Vader so he probably doesn't have a ton to offer.

What's the consensus on the most recent Kotobukiya Vader with the different arms, head and pose options? I'm not looking for massive posability and I am leaning towards this one because of the size and that one pose I see in samples (Hand outreached and saber to the side) is probably what I'd pose any Vader figure as so it's like it's kind of doing it for me.

Worse comes to worse, that Vader Sixth Scale Hot Toys is f'n gorgeous looking and I can always get that one. I'd prefer to not pay a huge amount, though, only because I feel the "Vader likeness" seems harder to find bad ones than, say, something that looks nothing like Harrison Ford (like most of the non-Sideshow Indiana Jones/Han Solo stuff) where the face sculpt is super important. Hence why I'm doing a post and getting others' impressions. Plus I'd rather spend that money on the Old Obi-Wan if I'm getting an expensive figure like that.

I was actually in a similar predicament, and I settled on the Mayfex Vader. From all the comparisons I saw it came down to that or the Bandai model kit, which I have no patience to paint. Most threw the SH figuarts right out and went with the Mayfex or the Model kit. Unfortunately, it will not be here for a month so I can't give any impressions but I can provide the comparisons I saw :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOLqE7okerE
https://www.reddit.com/r/ActionFigures/comments/3z1o5e/mafex_vader_or_sh_figuarts_vader/

Unfortunately I can't find the fwoosh article that had a comparison as well, but it was really good
But here's a video review for the Mayfex version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKcokoRtKL4

SeanC

I was actually in a similar predicament, and I settled on the Mayfex Vader. From all the comparisons I saw it came down to that or the Bandai model kit, which I have no patience to paint. Most threw the SH figuarts right out and went with the Mayfex or the Model kit. Unfortunately, it will not be here for a month so I can't give any impressions but I can provide the comparisons I saw :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOLqE7okerE
https://www.reddit.com/r/ActionFigures/comments/3z1o5e/mafex_vader_or_sh_figuarts_vader/

Unfortunately I can't find the fwoosh article that had a comparison as well, but it was really good
But here's a video review for the Mayfex version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKcokoRtKL4

Thanks, I think I came across a few similar videos but nothing about Mayfex. A model kit is kind of out of the question for me as well, unless it's already painted and ready to put together.

Cptkrush

Thanks, I think I came across a few similar videos but nothing about Mayfex. A model kit is kind of out of the question for me as well, unless it's already painted and ready to put together.
Yeah I also don't like the plastic cape on the model kit, it honestly looks too much like a cheap toy instead of a collectible figure. I did get the R2-D2 bb8 model kit set however, I think that looks great out of the box. And I have a first order trooper kit coming in soon that I thought looks great as well. But I also build gundam kits so it wasn't an issue of build patience lol. If you ever decide to build one of the star wars sets, they come pre colored and are snap fit, but you have to choose to apply either stickers, water slides or paint for the small details.

Has someone a Bandai Stormtrooper and R2D2 + R5R4 and could make some pics for me?

What are you hoping to see in pics? I snapped some when I built the set. Mostly of R2 compared to the Black series counterpart, and compatibility with other Black series figures and Figuarts:

12338679_1696694060577001_954231007_n.jpg

12277488_556849127811672_1557735108_n.jpg

12317825_1671448073066802_1958693980_n.jpg

Hasbro on the left, Bandai on the right

12338783_622227034583031_1300507577_n.jpg

I'll also shameless plug my instagram account where most of these pics are from @Madness80

Cptkrush

Awesome pics of the models. Man I wish I could find that SH Figuarts Luke at a reasonable price here in the U.S. So far my best option is Amazon japan but thats still close to a hundo with shipping... :(

Wanderer5

If Zero Suit Samus Figma isn't shown by wonder fest next month I going to cry. She was announced the same time as LBW Link figma and Cordelia scale figure, both of those have now been open for order (Cordelia was up last summer I think lol).

But anyway man LBW Link Figma looks reeeeally good, but I good with WW Link Nendoroid, so I can focus on other characters.:p

LiK

Good Smile. I'm pretty sure it's an exclusive.

thanks, looks like DX comes with a lot of accessories. AmiAmi has regular for 20% off but the extra stuff is pretty rad. gonna order 2 DX as well.

huh, Kiryu figma preorder bonus is just a traffic cone. lame

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What are you hoping to see in pics? I snapped some when I built the set. Mostly of R2 compared to the Black series counterpart, and compatibility with other Black series figures and Figuarts:

12338679_1696694060577001_954231007_n.jpg

12277488_556849127811672_1557735108_n.jpg

12317825_1671448073066802_1958693980_n.jpg

Hasbro on the left, Bandai on the right

12338783_622227034583031_1300507577_n.jpg

I'll also shameless plug my instagram account where most of these pics are from @Madness80

Thanks, they look great

Ordered Link DX from Goodsmile's site direct.

Meanwhile, looking forward to get Kakashi in the next week or two. Wasn't at first, but he's one of my faves, so hype! Namikaze is where the true hype is though, later this month.

aparisi2274

Good Smile. I'm pretty sure it's an exclusive.

How is good smile? I have never ordered from them before? How are shipping costs to the US? Comparable to amiami?

I mean I have a way to order it from Amazon japan (standard version) and then have a friend ship it to me, but if I can save a couple of bucks on shipping, I'll order from Good Smile.

Thanks

LiK

How is good smile? I have never ordered from them before? How are shipping costs to the US? Comparable to amiami?

I mean I have a way to order it from Amazon japan (standard version) and then have a friend ship it to me, but if I can save a couple of bucks on shipping, I'll order from Good Smile.

Thanks

Good, no issues. Just as good as any other online store. They will also email you if anything is delayed. I only buy from them for store exclusives because everything is MSRP and there's a flat rate EMS shipping price.

SeanC

I have the Figma Skyward Sword Link that came out a while ago. Love it, but that new one is so my Link and the image I think of just because it's the style I kind of grew up with on the NES/SNES. Preordering now.

Top Bottom