• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Purdy

Haha...yeah, I keep saying HT paints their faces way too dark. I have terrible lighting also. Han got in an argument with chewie muahaha

Must be the angle to be fair, usually that obi wan looks fantastic to me.

Did you bother with the batteries on Vader? Spent far too long doing the body ones for them to not work and putting on that lightsaber arm was painful as fuck

Snaku

Banned
Finally caved and ordered my first two SH Monsterarts with the Amazon gift cards I got for Christmas. Mosugoji Emergence ver. and Legendary Spitfire ver. incoming. Can't wait.

Boke1879

I asked this in the SW merch thread but if anyone sees a place to order the Phasma figuarts again please post in here. I'd be indebted to you.

Must be the angle to be fair, usually that obi wan looks fantastic to me.

Did you bother with the batteries on Vader? Spent far too long doing the body ones for them to not work and putting on that lightsaber arm was painful as fuck

My camera is also really, really bad. I heard horror stories of that electronics mess and didn't bother. I'd probably never use it, either

Here's a slightly better picture of my vader. I need to get some flat black to hide that wire

bgedakZ.jpg

that Doctor Who figure scares me.

HE'S COMING FOR YOUUUUUUUUUUU

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Ugggh I hate Sideshow's website. Trying to update my credit card number and it keeps failing due to my address not matching? Bullshit. I went to my Capital One online account and see three $1.00 charges from Sideshow in a row from me hitting the "Update Account" button 3 times on Sideshow's site. It's obviously going through, so wtf? I want my Batfleck figure!!!!

curb

Banned
I'm not sure how I feel about that Carol.

Not that it matters, its waaaaaay out if my price range with the current Camadian exchange rate. Not that it would be in my price range without the cruddy exchange either.

Messi

I'm not sure how I feel about that Carol.

Not that it matters, its waaaaaay out if my price range with the current Camadian exchange rate. Not that it would be in my price range without the cruddy exchange either.

You should feel like it is awesome

curb

Banned
You should feel like it is awesome

I should feel like that but I'm not sure if I do. I love Carol but something about that just doesn't sit right with me. If someone wants to buy me one so I can stare at it until I change my mind, lemme know.

Sup guys, first time posting here since most of what I collect is animu shit, but I'm thinking of ordering my first Sideshow Collectible.

The figure in question:
ash-williams-sixth-scale-evil-dead-2-100297-04.jpg

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/evil-dead-ii-ash-williams-sideshow-collectibles-1003491/

I know next to nothing when it comes to these things, but I was told that Sideshow can be hit and miss when it comes to human characters. Personally I think it looks good, but I'd like to get some opinions on Sideshow's stuff before I actually make an order like this

I know next to nothing when it comes to these things, but I was told that Sideshow can be hit and miss when it comes to human characters. Personally I think it looks good, but I'd like to get some opinions on Sideshow's stuff before I actually make an order like this

Sideshow is a real mixed bag. They're charging Hot Toys pricing for their figures when they're still a step below in quality, but they can do that because figures like Ash or Bettlejuice will never be made by other companies in a high quality 1/6 scale figure. It isn't that the figures are bad, but for the price they always feel like they're missing something. For the most part I have stopped buying SSC products strictly because I'd rather put the money towards a HT figure, but I did order Ash because I believe it'll be the best figure we ever get of the character,

Sideshow is a real mixed bag. They're charging Hot Toys pricing for their figures when they're still a step below in quality, but they can do that because figures like Ash or Bettlejuice will never be made by other companies in a high quality 1/6 scale figure. It isn't that the figures are bad, but for the price they always feel like they're missing something. For the most part I have stopped buying SSC products strictly because I'd rather put the money towards a HT figure, but I did order Ash because I believe it'll be the best figure we ever get of the character,

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too, because the only other Ash figure that I know of is some shitty action figure by NECA. I don't want to miss out on what could potentially be the best and only Ash figure that we'll ever get, but if the final product turns out to be shit quality then I know I'm going to have some regrets.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too, because the only other Ash figure that I know of is some shitty action figure by NECA. I don't want to miss out on what could potentially be the best and only Ash figure that we'll ever get, but if the final product turns out to be shit quality then I know I'm going to have some regrets.

Sideshow figures typically aren't shit quality even on the worst side of things, usually ranging from good to mediocre. I own a bunch of their clones, Grievous, Vader, Boba, and R2, and the only two figures I find not good are the Boba and Vader, mainly due to tailoring of the costume. Boba was fine for a $170 figure at the time, but their Vader was $250 and had a ton of problems, and then HT puts out their Vader for $50 more and it becomes very apparent the difference in quality between the two companies.

In short, dabble in Sideshow, don't collect it. I have Ash preordered and will more than likely keep it, but I expect a slightly worse off head sculpt (mainly due to paint) in the proto and some weird leg articulation.

SeanC

That recent NECA one is OK at best, but the face isn't great and the clothes feel almost too big for it. The Ash sideshow is probably the best you're going to get.

I have this older NECA one, I wish they'd do more of them in this mold.

There's another older one titled Hero Ash from NECA as well and it's kinda nice (essentially the color version of the above I think), but it's pricey as hell now and if you're going to pay that much for a figure you might as well get the Sideshow one which looks better, is larger and built more for display.

Sup guys, first time posting here since most of what I collect is animu shit, but I'm thinking of ordering my first Sideshow Collectible.

The figure in question:
ash-williams-sixth-scale-evil-dead-2-100297-04.jpg

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/evil-dead-ii-ash-williams-sideshow-collectibles-1003491/

Advice for Sideshow figures: Wait until they're official released.

Don't PO a figure going by their prototype. As mentioned before their productions figures is a real hit and miss. They put out new photos as "Final Product Photos" which showcase what the production figure will look like when it releases.

Wait until it releases and by then you'll most likely be able to use a $20 coupon on it as well.

That recent NECA one is OK at best, but the face isn't great and the clothes feel almost too big for it. The Ash sideshow is probably the best you're going to get.

There's another older one titled Hero Ash from NECA as well and it's kinda nice (essentially the color version of the above I think), but it's pricey as hell now and if you're going to pay that much for a figure you might as well get the Sideshow one which looks better, is larger and built more for display.

I have that Hero Ash figure you're talking about. It confounds me how much it sells for, mainly because it isn't that great of a figure.

Sideshow figures typically aren't shit quality even on the worst side of things, usually ranging from good to mediocre. I own a bunch of their clones, Grievous, Vader, Boba, and R2, and the only two figures I find not good are the Boba and Vader, mainly due to tailoring of the costume. Boba was fine for a $170 figure at the time, but their Vader was $250 and had a ton of problems, and then HT puts out their Vader for $50 more and it becomes very apparent the difference in quality between the two companies.

In short, dabble in Sideshow, don't collect it. I have Ash preordered and will more than likely keep it, but I expect a slightly worse off head sculpt (mainly due to paint) in the proto and some weird leg articulation.

Advice for Sideshow figures: Wait until they're official released.

Don't PO a figure going by their prototype. As mentioned before their productions figures is a real hit and miss. They put out new photos as "Final Product Photos" which showcase what the production figure will look like when it releases.

Wait until it releases and by then you'll most likely be able to use a $20 coupon on it as well.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I thought SSC was similar toy Hot Toys level of quality given those prices, but it just goes to show how much a little bit of asking around can do. So I guess they produce enough near the release date to allow people to buy it just as it comes out then? I imagined figures like these would be limited to the amount of pre-orders they get.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I thought SSC was similar toy Hot Toys level of quality given those prices, but it just goes to show how much a little bit of asking around can do. So I guess they produce enough near the release date to allow people to buy it just as it comes out then? I imagined figures like these would be limited to the amount of pre-orders they get.

The exclusive could sell out depending on how limited they decide to make it, but the regular will be available at retailers after release for at least a few months.

I have two SS figures. Cad Bane in Denal disguise Clone Trooper and R2-D2. The quality is definitely below Hot Toys. First, it seems like the articulation in SS figures is a lot more loose. It gives it a cheap feeling. In case of the trooper, the armor is also loose which adds to the feeling of being cheap.

Somethings that SS excels at is paint application, robots, and alien type creatures and electronics.

Absolutely stunning piece and is really the first one that has compelled me to bite.

Yeah, I think the helmet is atrocious, since it's supposed to be her hair coming through the top of the helmet, not whatever that is. But the primary head looks gorgeous, and I can't say no to this. I've always been able to appreciate the premium format line without actually buying any of them, but given that I've been waiting for a good Captain Marvel statue for ages (missed the Bowen by not knowing it existed until it was going for $400), this is an easy buy.

LiK

i cannot freakin' get a preorder in for SHF Phasma whenever it's back in stock. they always restock when i'm sleeping. fuck this.

anyone get the Star Wars The Force Awakens 3.75-Inch Figure Troop Builder 7-Pack from amazon., i just impulse brought it. hmm just realized there's a star wars merch thread, let me post in there

Top Bottom