• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Lmo911

I like these figurearts, but how does the buying from Japan work? Can I set up my account to show prices in dollars or is google my friend? I went through a guy on Amazon last time, but would like to avoid the mark up. >.>

LiK

I like these figurearts, but how does the buying from Japan work? Can I set up my account to show prices in dollars or is google my friend? I went through a guy on Amazon last time, but would like to avoid the mark up. >.>

yea, sites we mentioned here all have English sites and sell for international customers. Very easy. I recommend AmiAmi cuz of the discounts.

Hlj shows an approximate dollar price but they aren't usually the cheapest.

SeanC

The Phasma is the first I've ordered from AmiAmi and it was very easy and straightforward. Other than being a little unsure on which shipping option to choose, it went straight through and now I'm getting it in a week or so I hope.

Hot toys Ant man has been released. Also we didn't talk about Mark 46 because it's a power pose figure which are ass. Real die-cast next year for sure.

I am pro diecast / poseable Hot Toys, and originally thought the idea of getting a non poseable Hot Toy was ridiculous. Having said that...I don't change the poses on mine very often if at all and Mark 46 Powerpose could be a viable option for those not willing to pay the inevitably extortionate price that the diecast will be on release. I'm gonna wait for the diecast myself but I can see why others would be slightly tempted by the Powerpose.

As an aside, I was also against the concept of 1/4 scale thinking 1/6 was perfect...but damn seeing some of the comparison shots of 1/4 vs 1/6...well the 1/4 do appear to be pretty good looking and I'm gonna have to fight the temptation to buy any and Hot Toys are making that really hard.

$40 seems a bit ridiculous.
Is it? People pay that much and more for an SHF or MAFEX. I think that's the type of product DC is trying to create here. The press release says they'll have up to 40+ points of articulation, and each comes with a good number of accessories.

I think the idea of a domestic competitor to the dominating Japanese 6" lines is great, and DC Collectibles has been putting out some excellent toys lately. Some of those look really promising, others needs a bit of work, we'll see if they can deliver.

Rootbeer

Banned
Did DC Collectibles switch completely to 6 inch?

I wish... that's my scale of choice.

No, they are actually significantly smaller than 6"

They are a bit closer to 5" IIRC

They might CLAIM they are 6" scale, until you look at them next to other 6" scale figures like Marvel Legends and you'll see how small they are.

27549177d1446121582-dc-figures-thread-1446121129696-180863304.jpg

Although there are some claims that the Icons line are "true" 1:12 scale and it's ML & similar figures that are too large. Guess you can pick your side.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That photo is useless for a size comparison. Need to use a longer lens with the camera level and the figures on a line parallel to the camera.
My initial impression was that Daredevil was way too big but I think that's mostly the distortion. He should be the same height as that trooper if his height on wiki is correct.

I wish... that's my scale of choice.

No, they are actually significantly smaller than 6"

They are a bit closer to 5" IIRC

They might CLAIM they are 6" scale, until you look at them next to other 6" scale figures like Marvel Legends and you'll see how small they are.

27549177d1446121582-dc-figures-thread-1446121129696-180863304.jpg

Although there are some claims that the Icons line are "true" 1:12 scale and it's ML & similar figures that are too large. Guess you can pick your side.

I like some of the Icons, its crazy to me that each figure is a unique sculpt yet they almost all look to have the same body. Some characters look great with this slim downed body (Deadman, Green Arrow, Flash) while others look off (Swamp Thing, Cyborg).

That Superman from BvS looks like a marked improvement from the awful looking MoS one.

SHF TMNT will be hitting the US for those that care. $60 or there about. Sounds like there's a lot of TMNT stuff waiting for reveal too...

curb

Banned
I need to get that Black Series Ahsoka. Need.

Should be a *fun* hunt for one since I'm in Canada and places seem to quickly go through what stock they get and then all that's left ends up online with a ridiculous markup.

Sabine lookin' cool but hardly fits in with the universe. Unless they celebrate Holi on Mandalore.

I always found Sabine to be a bit of an odd duck in the Star Wars universe. What with the grafitti artist shtick. Doesn't seem like it ever really fit in with Star Wars.

WolfStark

I am definitly getting Ahsoka and Sabine, both look like they're getting absolutly great head sculpts and paint jobs here. Looking at how female figures (especially in 3,75'') looked for most of the time, I like what Hasbro does in 6'' here. Now I want to see Hera getting a Black Series release too. The galactic empire snowtrooper and AT-AT driver are on my list to. Regarding Revan: Don't know yet but they did a good job on that figure.
I first thought that Sabine wouldn't fit too but now in the second season and after her book, I think she's fitting tremendously better than the jedis and not-Sith Inquisitors. These are the dark times, where the imperial oppression is on it's peak. What fit's better than someone who revolts by attacking the propaganda? I think the writing is pretty bad but I still like those normal characters without any magic powers or fancy weapons from the antique shop.^^

Messi

I have a question. I am starting to buy my hot toys off sideshow as my store hiked up the prices on all figures going forward. Rey/Finn are both going to be the euro equiv of 300 dollars. Marvel figures are 300-320 depending on popularity (Iron Man touches on 480-500 for the ultron one). I would rather order with sideshow and get points to get discounts. They charge an NRD upfront for figures, is that everything? they only charge for the figure when it ships right?

I have a question. I am starting to buy my hot toys off sideshow as my store hiked up the prices on all figures going forward. Rey/Finn are both going to be the euro equiv of 300 dollars. Marvel figures are 300-320 depending on popularity (Iron Man touches on 480-500 for the ultron one). I would rather order with sideshow and get points to get discounts. They charge an NRD upfront for figures, is that everything? they only charge for the figure when it ships right?

Everything requires an NRD of some amount. Obviously, the more expensive the figure, the higher the NRD is going to be. As far as payment, they'll charge you when the item ships unless you choose a payment plan, in which case they'll charge you as detailed by the specific plan you chose at the time of your order.

Messi

Everything requires an NRD of some amount. Obviously, the more expensive the figure, the higher the NRD is going to be. As far as payment, they'll charge you when the item ships unless you choose a payment plan, in which case they'll charge you as detailed by the specific plan you chose at the time of your order.

2016-02-13.gif

Future Messi has much more money than current Messi. Lets do this.

Drayco21

Three waves of Civil War figures
Two waves of Spider-Man figures
Doctor Strange figures with Nico Minoru
X-Men figures with Cable and Deadpool
Walgreens exclusive Namor and Punisher
Walmart exclusive Civil War Bucky and Falcon
Target exclusive War Machine (and Disco Iron Man)
TRU exclusive Kate Bishop, Uncle Sam and Marvel Now Vision

Hasbro, stop it, my wallet can't take this kind of abuse!

Three waves of Civil War figures
Two waves of Spider-Man figures
Doctor Strange figures with Nico Minoru
X-Men figures with Cable and Deadpool
Walgreens exclusive Namor and Punisher
Walmart exclusive Civil War Bucky and Falcon
Target exclusive War Machine (and Disco Iron Man)
TRU exclusive Kate Bishop, Uncle Sam and Marvel Now Vision

Hasbro, stop it, my wallet can't take this kind of abuse!

I'm bummed they didn't show the exclusives at all. Funny thing about the TRU 3-pack is that I'm all over a Kate Bishop figure (I was actually getting ready to make one with the Gwen Stacy head. No update on the rumored Wolverine, so I may still end up kitbashing Laura Kinney Wolverine), but it's a TRU exclusive and recent history tells me if I just wait, I can get it for 40-60% off. I'm taking no such chances with the X-Men wave and will pre-order the case as soon as someone lets me.

Replicant

another pic of HOT TOYS Captain America:Civil War - 1/6th scale Captain America

The Movie Magical Girl Madoka ☆ Magica Akemi flame - the beginning of the story / Eternal Story 1/8

Hmmm, I don't know. Homura doesn't blush that much in the series so I feel that particular figure is trying to sell her as someone that she's not. Maybe back when she just started out as Magical girl and still had her glasses. But after the events turned her cold, it just feels OOC to see her blush like that.

And I still have problem with the Steve's face sculpt for that Civil Wars Hot Toys. No buy for me unless they fix that. Especially since the costume looks so identical to the Age of Ultron one except with less red stripes this time around and much inferior face.

OK, the exclusives are now shown and look really good... The likeness on Bucky is like the best I've seen from them assuming they don't screw up the paint in production, which is a pretty big ask. The only dud is the repainted War Machine and even that's sort of cool for what it is.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah, those TMNT figuarts prices just made me order some NECA TMNT bootleg 4 set for the price of one SHF. So thanks for that one I guess!

Top Bottom