• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

yeah man, just buy macross and get 5x copies of each =P
oekJDfNm.jpg

jk, i'm about to get a few HT mechanical stuff like vehicles, (maybe armor) etc. not really into figures but love metal looking stuff.

You guys love to exaggerate. Buying one HT figure won't send you on a mad shopping spree.

True, but it all starts with one. I remember there was a time before Hot Toys came in to my life...back then anything over £50 was too much for a toy. I thought people who bought statues were crazy. Id seen others buy Hot Toys...they showed me their purchases and even with them in my hand I thought that I'd never buy them.

Then I saw it, reduced online for £99...Battle Damaged Iron Man Mark III. I almost didn't buy it. My other half got it for me as a gift. I'd gone back and forth on buying it and couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. I told myself it'd be just the one, a one off, I told myself spending that sort of money on a toy/collectible was crazy, and who in the right mind would need more than one let alone be able to afford more than one.

I now have too many to remember without actively checking/counting them...

NEO0MJ

yeah man, just buy macross and get 5x copies

This is another thing I never got, buying multiples of the same figure. Though I guess HT found a good way for people to rationalize by offering a past figure with a new hat haircut :p

I now have too many to remember without actively checking/counting them...

Also this. Like, if you can't display them what's the point of buying them? Hoarding just feels wrong. Let them be free ;-;

Messi

This is another thing I never got, buying multiples of the same figure. Though I guess HT found a good way for people to rationalize by offering a past figure with a new hat haircut :p

Also this. Like, if you can't display them what's the point of buying them? Hoarding just feels wrong. Let them be free ;-;

I swap my figures in and out of the boxes depending on what I want to display.

I am a big advocate of setting Hot Toys and any others free! I am personally not in to owning for the sake of owning them, or owning through some compulsion to buy them all and keep them hidden away for them never to see the light of day. Having said that some people are, some people dont want them to ever leave the shipper box or to have been touched by human hands and that's absolutely fine too, it's their choice, they spend their hard earned cash how they want to, they aren't hurting anyone, and it's not for me to judge. I worked in a comic shop for a long time and it confused me how people would not do what I thought they should with their collection...took a long time to realise that what people do with their collection is absolutely up to them. Everyones collection means something to them no matter where it is or how it's displayed, the same way my collection is mine and for me to do with as I please.

As for my personal collection a lot of mine are displayed, but they aren't all out because my home set up isnt perfect yet / doesn't lend itself to them being on display. I'm lucky to have even some space to display what I have, and even luckier to have a partner who is OK with the fact that I spend some of my disposable income as I do, I appreciate that others don't have that luxury.

Also much like art prints circulating / rotating what is on display can be part of the fun and can stop a collection from becoming stale.

Boke1879

Welp have the Figuarts Black Panther on Preorder and the Hot Toys Panther on Preorder.

Now just waiting to see what Suicide Squad releases they do.

Bii

I swap my figures in and out of the boxes depending on what I want to display.

It's what I do with my posters, and I would do the same with my figures if I had the space to display them. I'll need to grab some new display cabinets soon.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
This is funny because I recently put all my JoJo figures away so I could have a dedicated Star Wars shelf.

WAT

How could anyone keep those awesome SAS figures away? They're way too much fun to play with. I just got Crazy Diamond to celebrate Part 4 being animated and he's a dream. I get all mine preowned from AmiAmi and they're pretty much sealed.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I hope we see HOTS Series 3 at Blizzcon
Stitches and Arthas are probably two of my favorite figures. And the others aren't bad either. Not a huge fan of some of the choices other than Diablo and Raynor though. I hope they get every hero eventually.

Zombine

Banned
That can go for anything, really. It's why you see those people with crazy collection of strange stuff.

When it comes to Hot Toys I have yet to find something I really, really want. They came close with a few Iron Man figures but in the end I backed away from them due to the sheer number of choices available.

I appreciate Hot Toys, I just don't really see a place for them in my collection. They aren't my crack of choice. I'm a huge SH Figuarts Star Wars collector.

I had a dream my Scarlet Witch hot toy reservation converted. When I woke up it hadn't :(

You woke up in the wrong universe.

Replicant

If there was an AA equivalent for figure collecting, the moment when you realise you can justify purchases beyond your means of display would be the common element in the introduction stories of the worst cases.

I dream that one day I own a nice studio apartment where I have enough space to put countless Detolf. Sadly it's just a dream. I haven't even finished paying off mortgage for this apartment I bought with my brother. :(

I dream that one day I own a nice studio apartment where I have enough space to put countless Detolf. Sadly it's just a dream. I haven't even finished paying off mortgage for this apartment I bought with my brother. :(

Yeah I feel you. Every now and then I think "If I had one housemate instead of two there would be a whole room free...." before I realise I'm thinking of swapping a human for figure space.

NEO0MJ

so you can do this
5lqgqFb.png

OK, that's a compelling argument.

I kind of wish it wasn't true, but it is. I have so many anime waifu figures. So many.

You make me sick :mad:

This is funny because I recently put all my JoJo figures away so I could have a dedicated Star Wars shelf.

Madness!
Though speaking of JoJo, I considered getting a few stands but I had no idea where to put them. Closest thing to a stand in my collection in D-Arts Vile.

If there was an AA equivalent for figure collecting, the moment when you realise you can justify purchases beyond your means of display would be the common element in the introduction stories of the worst cases.

What o you mean by AA equivalent?

I am a big advocate of setting Hot Toys and any others free! I am personally not in to owning for the sake of owning them, or owning through some compulsion to buy them all and keep them hidden away for them never to see the light of day. Having said that some people are, some people dont want them to ever leave the shipper box or to have been touched by human hands and that's absolutely fine too, it's their choice, they spend their hard earned cash how they want to, they aren't hurting anyone, and it's not for me to judge. I worked in a comic shop for a long time and it confused me how people would not do what I thought they should with their collection...took a long time to realise that what people do with their collection is absolutely up to them. Everyones collection means something to them no matter where it is or how it's displayed, the same way my collection is mine and for me to do with as I please.

As for my personal collection a lot of mine are displayed, but they aren't all out because my home set up isnt perfect yet / doesn't lend itself to them being on display. I'm lucky to have even some space to display what I have, and even luckier to have a partner who is OK with the fact that I spend some of my disposable income as I do, I appreciate that others don't have that luxury.

Also much like art prints circulating / rotating what is on display can be part of the fun and can stop a collection from becoming stale.

I get what you mean. Sometimes I feel this is a carry on from how some collectors keep sealed copies of comics.

But she's only $120.

It's getting harder to justify now that the exchange rate is back to being trash.

Hagi

Madness!
Though speaking of JoJo, I considered getting a few stands but I had no idea where to put them. Closest thing to a stand in my collection in D-Arts Vile.

I love JoJo but because we don't have our own place yet sacrifices had to be made lol

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I found a Marvel Legends Taskmaster for <$16. No-brainer.
And I found the last Combiner Wars Combaticon I was missing for $15. It took me several weeks to find all of them for non-scalper prices. Then a day after finding the last one the nearest Walmart got the entire set in stock at once, lol.

Welp. Looks like they moved onto ESB. Won't be long before they get to ROTJ.

That said I need a good Yoda in my collection. Hope they do a dagobah Luke next.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Welp. Looks like they moved onto ESB. Won't be long before they get to ROTJ.

That said I need a good Yoda in my collection. Hope they do a dagobah Luke next.

Hot Toys just did a RotJ figure. (RotJ Boba Fett)

Nothing stops this train..

13173354_10153500742447344_8783731516225439928_o.jpg

Hot Toys just did a RotJ figure. (RotJ Boba Fett)
Forgot about that but I imagine he's the exception since they pushed out his 1/4 version earlier on. Either way I believe an insider over on the Sideshow forum said they have figures planned for ESB and ROTJ so we'll see them soon enough.

Replicant

Nothing stops this train..

13173354_10153500742447344_8783731516225439928_o.jpg

Must. not. be. tempted.

I just realised that I have quite a bit of Hot Toys now:

Captain America: Winter Soldier ver
Star Lord
Captain America: AoU ver
Iron Man Mk III Die Cast
Naked Snake from MGS3
Han Solo - A New Hope ver
Wolverine - Days of Future Past ver
Indiana Jones - Raiders of the Lost Ark ver
Indiana Jones - Temple of Doom ver
Ant-Man

Still coming:
Captain America: Civil War ver
Iron Man Mk 46 (Civil War) ver

Someone stop me please.

Must. not. be. tempted.

Star Lord
Iron Man Mk III Die Cast
Naked Snake from MGS3
Ant-Man

Still coming:

Someone stop me please.

You need to own every Harrison Ford Hot Toy. It is your destiny. I am, actually going to skip old Han and Chewie. I have the ANH 2 pack versions preordered and I'm happy with collecting just the new characters from TFA.

They just won't stop! 1/4 Kylo Ren coming soon. Will probably have a head sculpt this time.

“Show me, grandfather, and I will finish what you started.”

Hot Toys’ first 1/4th scale collectible figure from Star Wars: The Force Awakens is coming. Prepare to meet the fiery dark warrior soon!

Happy Star Wars Day everyone and may the Force be with you!

13147630_10153500846877344_7687726059389161149_o.jpg

ESB Han, Luke and Leia are best Han, Luke and Leia. Also, y'all might be getting Lando if they do a proper ESB line.
Must. not. be. tempted.

Star Lord
Iron Man Mk III Die Cast
Naked Snake from MGS3
Ant-Man

Still coming:

Someone stop me please.
I have one:

Captain America - Age of Ultron version

I'm gonna sell it and I'm not buying any more Hot Toys. I broke free on my first try!

I say that but I know I'm probably gonna break and buy ESB stuff.

Nah, fuck it. If I buy any more figures, it'll just be Figuarts. No more Hot Toys. (/Wanda)

Is there a 1/4th or 1/6th scale figure of Ripley from Aliens?
Nope. They did one around the time they first started but haven't released a new version yet. They been showing her off for like the past 2 years and still nothing.

They just had an event for Alien Day and they showed her off again. Recently they announced a new Alien Warrior figure so fingers crossed they get around to announcing Ripley soon. They've also showed a new Power Loader.

13116010_10153488202277344_1236513304511847764_o.jpg

13086940_10153488202282344_7973787636898730110_o.jpg

Top Bottom