• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

LiK

Decided to preorder Civil War Iron Man die-cast version from SS. BBTS presold out which blows. I need to pose that awesome fight pose with Cap.

LiK

Isn't that figure not coming out until August 2017?

better safe than sorry. i don't wanna end up on the Wait List again! back in the day i was on a Wait List for another IM figure for 2 years before they cancelled it from lack of inventory. I was sad.

sol_bad

i got tons of roy vf-1s but i'm still in awe:

Macross Arcadia 1/60 VF-1S w/ super and strike packs: 20,710yen
hlj
http://hlj.com/product/ACA82128/Act

eciBsw1.jpg

[

I've always been interested in Across toys but there are so many manufacturers and scales. Does anyone have an overview of the different lines that are available?

NEO0MJ

I've always been interested in Across toys but there are so many manufacturers and scales. Does anyone have an overview of the different lines that are available?

The most modern lines are the Hi-Metal line by Bandai, which has mostly non-scale more affordable transforming suits and some expensive non-transforming mechas from the series. There's also Bandai's DX Chogokin line, 1/60 scale figures that are more expensive but are larger and higher detailed than the Hi-Metal line.

For non-Bandai offerings there's the Yamato 1/60 line, though the company is dead now so some of its figure might be hard to find now. Also they're mostly more expensive than Bandai's offerings. Right now the other company is Arcadia's with its new 1/60 line, it actually has several of employees from Yamato working with them so you can think of it as a continuation, including their hefty price tags. Actually, they're even more expensive but it seems they're the best rendition of the mechas you can find. I've been dancing around buying their VF-0S for a while.

Macross manufacturers and scales of toys are pretty sticky because of the strict licencing for the toys in a particular scale (licences for macross model kits are totally different)

there's mainly two major manufacturers for Macross toys
-Arcadia (that you linked)
-Bandai

Just to break it down easy:

Arcadia (formerly Yamato)
have the exclusive licence in 1/60 scale, no one else can make toys in this scale, for toys that appear following Macross series:
-Original SDF-1 Macross TV series
-Macross Movie: Do You Remember Love? (the valk you quoted is from this movie)
-Macross Plus
-Macross 7
-Macross Zero

there's a huge secondary market for majority of these items because most of them previously released under Yamato are OOP. many fans are screaming at Arcadia to re-release them since the current prices are astronomical and Arcadia holds the licences to re-print them.
but Arcadia's offerings of previously released stuff have been few and far between but they're slowly rolling out.

Arcadia is focusing on brand new molds:
the most recent is the newly designed VF-0S from Macross Zero
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIGURE-013462
and they are coming out with an armor for it in 2017.
http://ameblo.jp/arcadiaac/entry-12156885577.html

Bandai
has the 1/60 scale licence for the current and most recent series (because Bandai were major broadcast sponsors for both series, it only makes sense they get the exclusive licence for it)
Bandai has exclusive licence for all 1/60 toys that appear in:
-Macross Frontier
-All Macross Frontier movies
-Macross Delta (current series) GAF dedicated Macross Delta thread

called the DX Chogokin line: the majority of these 1/60 scale toys are extremely hard to pre-order as Bandai prints very limited amounts of them. (there's a few unpopular ones that are still available)
The new Delta toys under the DX Chogokin line, will be coming out shortly (so far Bandai has been showing prortypes, look back into this thread) so try and grab them once they're announced asap bc everyone know they will be hard to obtain.

Bandai wants the licence to 1/60 scale toys for the older macross series but are upset and blocked because Yamato/Arcadia has them. so to compete, Bandai grabbed exclusive licence for pretty much all Macross series in the
1/100 scale called
Hi-Metal Revive
current offerings and planned releases

personally i love both the Arcadia and Bandai Chogokin 1/60 scale toys, they are both highly engineered and of great quality.

i'm also grabbing the 1/100 HMR line because they're release some enemy mechs from Mscross that were never released by Yamato/Arcadia.

all in all it's a great time to be into Macross toys=)

NEO0MJ

just expanding on your post =) gave an overview on the licences to make sense of the scales/exclusives.

Is there any reason why even the scale has to be licensed? Like, I get certain series but even scale? So weird.

Edit: Oh, do you have the Arcadia VF-0S? How is it overall? Can't find much reviews for it but it seems to be fragile/easy to scratch, is that true? How's the balance overall?

Is there any reason why even the scale has to be licensed? Like, I get certain series but even scale? So weird.

i agree, it's weird but for Macross it's mainly because of it's legal issues as summed up in Kotaku
http://kotaku.com/5990702/why-you-havent-seen-any-new-macross-in-the-west-for-nearly-15-years

so they're very strict in licencing out any toys Macross related.
one of the most ludicrous is Yamato/Arcadia want to make a transforming VF-4 lightning toy that appeared in Macross Flashback 2012 but they could only get permission to do a plane only (non transforrming) bc the anime never showed it transforming. (Shoji Kawamori never finished the CAD designs of Battroid for the vf-4 till years later)

so Yamato/Arcadia settled for the VF-4 that appeared in the playstation video game Macross digital mission VF-X (as the game showed full transformation)
http://hlj.com/product/aca82127

crazy...

Edit: Oh, do you have the Arcadia VF-0S? How is it overall? Can't find much reviews for it but it seems to be fragile/easy to scratch, is that true? How's the balance overall?

yeah, i got 3 copy's the VF-0s. definitely the best one. very solid. there's not much paint so you're safe.
avoid the arcadia VF-0A shin kudo, easy paint scratches, canopy get scratched bc they forgot to file down metal pins. the legs have broken off at the hip on a number of users including myself. several of us complained on Arcadia's twitter posting photos and they apologized and corrected the canopy scratching and hip joints for the VF-0S
(if you are going to get a VF-0A, buy it from hlj as they allow returns for full refund for damaged toys in first 10 days due to manufacture defects or shipping damage) avoid amiami, nippon yasan for high price macross items as they won't do jack sh!t if your leg falls off or its damaged during shipping.
https://hlj.com/product/ACA82120/

Are they? I have some Figuarts TMNT figures on preorder at BBTS. I don't know what the difference is. They look the same in the pics.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/search.aspx?search=figuarts tmnt

Bandai webshop exclusives means they will not sell it at JYP retail stores and only through their online webstore. (it's only meant for residents of Japan)

BBTS through their contacts in Japan orders them through the Bandai website linked and have them shipped to the US thus making it obtainable here a month later after it releases in Japan. (Nippon Yasan, Big in Japan does the same but they are located in Japan so they receive their shipments from bandai quicker )

not exclusive as far as i know. i have all four preordered on Amazon.
it may be just webshop exclusive in JYP, it may be separate (nonexclusive) for US distributors like amazon. BBTS may be via a US distributor vs. ordering through the JYP website through a middleman depending on availability, it's hard to tell at this point.

Bandai webshop exclusives means they will not sell it at JYP retail stores and only through their online webstore. (it's only meant for residents of Japan)

BBTS through their contacts in Japan orders them through the Bandai website linked and have them shipped to the US thus making it obtainable here a month later after it releases in Japan. (Nippon Yasan, Big in Japan does the same but they are located in Japan so they receive their shipments from bandai quicker )

Oh I see. Thanks for the info!

NEO0MJ

yeah, i got 3 copy's the VF-0s. definitely the best one. very solid. there's not much paint so you're safe.
avoid the arcadia VF-0A shin kudo, easy paint scratches, canopy get scratched bc they forgot to file down metal pins. the legs have broken off at the hip on a number of users including myself. several of us complained on Arcadia's twitter posting photos and they apologized and corrected the canopy scratching and hip joints for the VF-0S
(if you are going to get a VF-0A, buy it from hlj as they allow returns for full refund for damaged toys in first 10 days due to manufacture defects or shipping damage) avoid amiami, nippon yasan for high price macross items as they won't do jack sh!t if your leg falls off or its damaged during shipping.
https://hlj.com/product/ACA82120/

I only plan on getting the S. So it should be OK to order from amiami for it, right?

I only plan on getting the S. So it should be OK to order from amiami for it, right?

it should be safe, my third 0s just came in the mail today... let me put it through the paces and i'll give you a report on it in a bit.

ok i checked the hips/leg ball joint connectors and gave it a full range of motion. i used the hip extenders where the previous vf-0A would fall out and tested the ankles full range.
everything checks out, very sturdy

checked inside the heatshield where the clear canopy slides in and housed in battroid. all the pins have been filed down perfectly with no chance of scraping the windshield.
(sorry for the dust)
bMI1mxP.jpg

imEN9Zg.jpg

if you order it, definitely, look at a transformation guide on youtube to avoid any damage from user error. (happened to a lot of guys)

Apharmd

So good buddy Diggeh ordered my Mythic Legions figures yesterday, ended up with 11. They have super limited quantities still available going up this afternoon if anyone is interested. And you should be, with figures like these in the assortment.
Going up at 3 PM EST if you have any interest. This is more than likely the last opportunity to get this particular set, with the possibility of them reissuing maybe six from the wave down the line, if the Ravens line was any indication.

Saw this post super late, got in on the Blood Knight and Sir Badass-Antler-Head-Black-Red-Knight. I really wish I could have gotten in on Sir Badass-Wing-Head-Knight though. Would you know when these figures will start shipping, as they're "preorders"?

Probably should have found that out before I ordered but I've heard nothing but praise about this particular line and how nice the figures are.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I could have swore Bluefin Tamashii Nations are releasing them wide to the west like they're doing with Sailor Moon & DBZ.

Meaning you can pick up SHF Leo at your local Barnes & Noble.

I think they are, but they still have the jacked up Exclusive prices

icespide

Banned
Civil War spider-man funk pop figure, exclusive to some bundle:

Funko-Spider-Man-POP-Vinyls-4-Pack-Civil-War-Revealed.jpg

I'm usually not a fan of these figures but this spidey looks pretty good

Messi

Only buying Harley. I'm safe

But which Harley. You know they will do all her costumes. DC's Iron Man.

I'm in for Harley, Joker, Deadshot, Enchantress and Katana before seeing the movie.

Those Harley preorders are gonna go so fast.

LiK

But which Harley. You know they will do all her costumes. DC's Iron Man.

I'm in for Harley, Joker, Deadshot, Enchantress and Katana before seeing the movie.

Those Harley preorders are gonna go so fast.
def default one. Not sure I'll bother with alts.

Top Bottom