• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Racing Miku 2016 Figma and her beautiful colors.

Futaba1467633241.jpeg
I have Racing Miku figmas 2011-205 and as nice as this one is I'm gonna be winding down on the toy collecting and not planning to get this one.

Fjordson

Just received NECA's Concept Alien figure. He's based on Giger's original translucent costume prototype for the Xenomorph. He developed the material for the suit and everything, but could never get it to work to his satisfaction. As a result, they went with the black material that we all know and fear. Translucence might not have worked for the big screen, but how does it work for an action figure?

hSF2mdt.jpg

AZANdoD.jpg

O6ZYbcg.jpg

oC9Spfo.jpg

0PXHzTB.jpg

moM7A12.jpg

eQAlgBp.jpg

glNDcVm.jpg

mBjL4v5.jpg

Now this guy is cool! The translucent material allows the figure to take on different bone white shades depending on how much light passes through him. It also makes the underlying bone structure more apparent because, you know, the creature just wasn't freaky enough to begin with. Of course this is the basic Big Chap figure, so it doesn't have the super crazy articulation of the newer Alien figures, but that's fine. I haven't been adding Aliens to my collection at the same rate as Predators, only because its harder for them to feel "unique". This guy, however, feels like his own creature, despite sharing the same sculpt as the classic Big Chap. He looks unique on the shelf and really catches the eye. Great Alien figure, and I'm looking forward to more prototype figures in the line.
Wow, this looks awesome.

Where did you get it? Don't see it listed on Big Bad Toy Store, unless I'm missing something.

That is awesome! I have the Anniversary one they did a few years ago, but I haven't seen this translucent one on shelves yet. They've come a long way since the first Alien figure release.

I said it before in this thread, but the sculpt is spot on. I've had A LOT of Giger Alien figures and statues through the years, and this one is by far one of the best versions you can get.

Yeah, he looks amazing. These figures have definitely come a long way. The sculpts are so ridiculously detailed and movie accurate. Especially for the price point. They're really great values.

Wow, this looks awesome.

Where did you get it? Don't see it listed on Big Bad Toy Store, unless I'm missing something.

I got it from a comic book shop selling it on E-Bay. I don't know why the figure isn't listed on Big Bad Toystore. He's been out for about six months or so. It looks like he's available on Amazon, though.

Fjordson

Sweet. I see some listings on eBay also. As a big Giger fan, that's easily one of the cooler Alien figs I've seen. Not too surprised it's from NECA, they're damn good at what they do.

Sweet. I see some listings on eBay also. As a big Giger fan, that's easily one of the cooler Alien figs I've seen. Not too surprised it's from NECA, they're damn good at what they do.

Entertainment Earth has it, but they don't seem to be expecting it until November(!!!)?

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Uh, have you guys seen these new Pokken Mewtwo and Lucario figures from MegaHouse? Because fuck, I think I gotta replace my D-arts/Figuarts with these.

Yeah, those went up this morning! The Variable Action Heroes line is pretty neat, if not rather expensive. These Pokken ones seem pretty reasonable, if not a little too short.

Finally got around to watching Daredevil. Loved it. Couldn't wait for a figure so I made a custom one out of a Guavian Enforcer from the Force Awakens Black Series line and a Captain America Legends figure. Based on his season two costume.

uImZZSi.jpg

Yeah, those went up this morning! The Variable Action Heroes line is pretty neat, if not rather expensive. These Pokken ones seem pretty reasonable, if not a little too short.
Do you know how tall they are? I really like these way better than the Bandai version, but I also don't want them to be too small for my current Figma/Figuarts Nintendo collection.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
My condolences, Ninja, that's super rough. Never had a box arrive like that. Better contact BBTS right away.

Do you know how tall they are? I really like these way better than the Bandai version, but I also don't want them to be too small for my current Figma/Figuarts Nintendo collection.

According to official measurements, Lucario is 4.3" and Mewtwo is 4.5", so both are shorter than their respective D-Arts/Figuarts. My D-Arts Mewtwo stand around 5" and Figuarts Lucario is around 6" including his ears. Gonna have to wait for proper comparisons pics, but they're not a bad alternative considering most of the D-Arts Pokemon are rather expensive in the aftermarket.

Dear god, BBTS boxes are strong, how the fuck did that happen? File a claim asap. I think you contact BBTS first.

I doubt they're strong as AmiAmi boxes, though. I got one once that had a hole kicked in it, but there was so much space (and packing material) between the cardboard and the products inside, nothing was damaged. But god damn does all that packing paper add to the shipping fees.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt they're strong as AmiAmi boxes, though. I got one once that had a hole kicked in it, but there was so much space (and packing material) between the cardboard and the products inside, nothing was damaged. But god damn does all that packing paper add to the shipping fees.

AmiAmi boxes are built like tanks and cost about as much as a mini tank. :p

According to official measurements, Lucario is 4.3" and Mewtwo is 4.5", so both are shorter than their respective D-Arts/Figuarts. My D-Arts Mewtwo stand around 5" and Figuarts Lucario is around 6" including his ears. Gonna have to wait for proper comparisons pics, but they're not a bad alternative considering most of the D-Arts Pokemon are rather expensive in the aftermarket.
Well at the very least this Lucario will be an all around improvement. The Figuarts Lucario was too tall. And I like this Mewtwo way more than the D-Arts, but the D-Arts has a good height. Argh, decisions.

LiK

hah, nothing is stronger than AmiAmi boxes.

I've been in contact with BBTS and they've already given me a label to ship it back and they're going to send me a new one. Normally I don't have any issues getting packages. I get several every week and I can only remember 2 other times recently that they've been smashed, but this takes the cake. They've been very helpful though. I especially liked this comment the customer service guy had for me, hehe:

In regards to any future orders, it may be best to avoid using UPS given the circumstances as their route driver might be an elephant that steps on packages!

I also tweeted about it and UPS now wants me to file a claim. I don't know how that works though if BBTS is going to send me a replacement.

The figure inside looked alright, but her arm looks pretty bent. I keep all my boxes though, so I wouldn't happy having such a smashed box and will just send it all back.

It should all be sorted soon, just a little frustrating since I received an item from BBTS via UPS 2 weeks ago that was similarly smashed, but the figure inside was fine. The box was a little bent, but nothing major.

Edit: To be clear, this isn't BBTS' fault. I believe it's more a problem with UPS for my area or somewhere along the line between BBTS and me. Their boxes are pretty solid. Most boxes wouldn't withstand an elephant stepping on them though.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Uh, have you guys seen these new Pokken Mewtwo and Lucario figures from MegaHouse? Because fuck, I think I gotta replace my D-arts/Figuarts with these.

I put in not only my orders for both Pokken ones, but both of the new GEM figures with Brock and Nurse Joy.

My wallet this fall = ded.

Part of it is because that isn't the Joker outfit everyone wants. I'm buying him and Knightmare Batman because they're both ToyFair and unique so definitely worth it, but it makes sense that people might be holding their hype for the tuxedo or pimp coat version.

LiK

Don't care much for duster Batman especially after that awful sequence in the movie.

Leto Joker looks good but not excited for the figure unless the movie is great. Still waiting for dat Harley

Top Bottom