• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I was really interested in getting into Mythic Legions. The figures I wanted were crazy expensive in the after market, though. Like $60 - $100 each for them. I started doing the math, and it was just too terrifying for me.

They're usually $22 for Legion army builders, $35 for regular named figures, $52 for Deluxe Builder customizing sets, and $100 for the two Trolls (Stone and Forest). The problem, as you said, is the aftermarket: These figures are typically one and done, especially the two Kickstarter exclusives, but the Horsemen have been reprinting All-Star waves of 6 figures from respective waves.

This is probably a dumb question, but who exactly are these characters? They look cool.

Mythic Legions is a unique toyline by Four Horsemen that sets out to create fantasy creatures without being tethered to an existing IP. They've worked on a ton of quality figures, and I can vouch for how awesome their figures are. Their first Kickstarter line was the Ravens, but those are now part of ML. Honestly some of the best action figures I've ever owned, especially Sir Ignatius. So many extra accessories and parts too! Their packaging is also super collector friendly (just slide out the tray) and looks AMAZING. Using Sir Valgard as an example:

M0863QD.jpg
eUdG3oQ.jpg
Jm9yYD1.jpg

In fact, I forgot to post my Mythic Legions 1.0 Kickstarter haul in here:
Full album with TONS of pics here

soon all of Action Figure GAF will succumb to the perfection of Four Horsemen

Hagi

Yeah I hope she has a second head as well but really glad that she has sculpted hair, really not a fan of the doll hair on Hot Toys.

Speaking of Harley, here's new pics of the S.H. Figuarts figure:
I'm already collecting the Mattel figures, but if I end up really loving the movie, I might consider getting this figure or the MAFEX one, even though both are well above what I'd normally pay for a single figure. I'd also consider a Katana if either makes one.

LiK

I want a face sculpt of Harley shooting her bat like a gun in those promo pics and trailer. She looks so cute there.

SeanC

Damn that Sideshow Phoenix is gorgeous. Those premium format things are a bit (ok a lot) out of my budget though.

I like that Captain Marvel too. I've become a bit of a fan of hers. I think it's the hair.

Fjordson

Mythic Legions is a unique toyline by Four Horsemen that sets out to create fantasy creatures without being tethered to an existing IP. They've worked on a ton of quality figures, and I can vouch for how awesome their figures are. Their first Kickstarter line was the Ravens, but those are now part of ML. Honestly some of the best action figures I've ever owned, especially Sir Ignatius. So many extra accessories and parts too! Their packaging is also super collector friendly (just slide out the tray) and looks AMAZING. Using Sir Valgard as an example
Oh nice. I won't feel lame then for buying a few. I thought it was maybe some fantasy series or comic I wasn't aware of lol.

Just watched the Pixel Dan review for the Neca SDCC exclusive Ninja Turtles Arcade game sets. Boy, am I happy that I am dissapointed with them. I love the game (even have the jamma board) and I wanted those foot soldiers in different colours so bad when I was younger (and even now). But the actual figures do not look as good as the original promo shots in my humble opinion. Still hope they will be bootlegged since a general release is out of the question.

God I hope so, I need at least Snake and Quiet.

Would love both of these, especially a Venom Snake.

As someone who does't care about Marvel / DC figures, Hot Toys usually don't pique my interest these days.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Would like to see that. Didn't pick up the MGS3 ones because I wasn't too impressed with the outfit choice for Snake or the sculpt for Boss, so a Venom Snake would be great.

I thought they were out of the videogame figures business, until those RE6 figures were announced at least. Now it's at least possible.

I love MGS3 (one of the all time greats) and I couldn't bring myself to buy them for exactly the same motives. I'm still disappointed they didn't released another version of MGS3's Snake. The Sneaking Suit it's not the iconic image I have from that Snake. Unfortunately they based them on the renders they made for the 3DS release.

Man, MGS series is one of the very few I would buy the entire collection (or close to it, depending obviously on the quality).

You didn't even like paying for Hot Toys now you think you're gonna collect a 1/6 scale line you are confounding.
I was broke back then :p

Plus Batman TAS is one of my favourite things ever so I can justify buying two (Bats and Joker).

But yes, I am quite confounding.

Edit: I also may have misread 1/6 as 1/12... shit. Brain fart.

I was broke back then :p

Plus Batman TAS is one of my favourite things ever so I can justify buying two (Bats and Joker).

BTAS is the best I collected the DCC line until they stopped releasing figures for half a year. I'm in for a few of the 1/6 figures I think (Batman, Joker, Harley, and hopefully a Mr. Freeze).

Edit: I also may have misread 1/6 as 1/12... shit. Brain fart.

There it is.

BTAS is the best I collected the DCC line until they stopped releasing figures for half a year. I'm in for a few of the 1/6 figures I think (Batman, Joker, Harley, and hopefully a Mr. Freeze).

There it is.
I've become too predictable!

But yeah, space and cost for figures is a very important thing for me now since I need to think about what works with what I have and not just impulse buy. I've bought many figures in the past only to not care in the end or have nowhere to put them so I find it hard to justify spending a lot of money on something that I kinda have an on/off relationship with... despite being the OP of this thread. I have a great appreciation for figures but I scarcely buy 'em anymore.

I am not worthy.

Come OT2, I pass Action Figure GAF Mjolnir to you.

Messi

My heart can't take the excitement. I cannot wait for Harley's hot toy. Please nail the face. What we have seen so far is amazing

I've become too predictable!

But yeah, space and cost for figures is a very important thing for me now since I need to think about what works with what I have and not just impulse buy. I've bought many figures in the past only to not care in the end or have nowhere to put them so I find it hard to justify spending a lot of money on something that I kinda have an on/off relationship with... despite being the OP of this thread. I have a great appreciation for figures but I scarcely buy 'em anymore.

I am not worthy.

Come OT2, I pass Action Figure GAF Mjolnir to you.

I know what you mean. For the first time I'm running out of space and I just don't know what to do. Put stuff in storage until I get a new place? Save the cash and pay out the nose later for the stuff I miss? It's complicated and I don't blame anyone for choosing to jump out of it or limit their stuff. It can be a dangerously addictive hobby.

You're gonna a BTAS Batman though. Don't deny.

Thank you for breaking Diggeh's little heart.

John Boyega has a Detolf full of Hot Toys.

One of us!
I know what you mean. For the first time I'm running out of space and I just don't know what to do. Put stuff in storage until I get a new place? Save the cash and pay out the nose later for the stuff I miss? It's complicated and I don't blame anyone for choosing to jump out of it or limit their stuff. It can be a dangerously addictive hobby.

You're gonna a BTAS Batman though. Don't deny.

Yeah, BTAS Batman is gonna be that special "one last purchase".

Diggeh has the Funko OT, he'll be fine!

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
A new challenger approaches
streetfighter2_2.gif

But I've been here the entire time!

My OTs:
Amiibo GAF
Funko GAF
Yearly SDCC GAF

Haloid:
3GtX2LL.png

I wonder if people know we're just teasing

Diggeh has the Funko OT, he'll be fine!

image.php

I feel bad now lol I was just joking about it the whole. Except when saying Diggeh can't have it. Because that was truthful.

Choose: OT or your Mythic Legions figures

But I've been here the entire time!

My OTs:
Amiibo GAF
Funko GAF
Yearly SDCC GAF

Haloid:
3GtX2LL.png

Yeah but like who collects way more stuff than you oh yeah me get outta here. Plus it takes you forever to update AmiiboGAF let's be real.

Choose: OT or your Mythic Legions figures

Now see why you gotta be like that you're the one who got me into the line and now you wanna take it away not the behavior of someone who should have AFGAF OT that's for sure.

They haven't even released a wave of BTAS figures this year but they want me to be excited for new stuff DCC pls Mondo will get me figures before you at this rate.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
They haven't even released a wave of BTAS figures this year but they want me to be excited for new stuff DCC pls Mondo will get me figures before you at this rate.

DCC now stands for "Don't Collect Consistently" because why release a figure in March when you can release it in December?

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I'm not even kidding. DC delays their statues more than a lot of Japanese companies that make waifu figures, and that's saying something.

You're not wrong. It was interesting seeing the Batman Beyond pack go from November to March, and the Christmas Joker is coming out three days AFTER Christmas. C'mon DCC! We love your stuff, but get it together! Maybe I'll have a little chat with them at Comic-Con. :p

You're not wrong. It was interesting seeing the Batman Beyond pack go from November to March, and the Christmas Joker is coming out three days AFTER Christmas. C'mon DCC! We love your stuff, but get it together! Maybe I'll have a little chat with them at Comic-Con. :p

I wonder how long before they admit the Harley Quinn Black, White and Red Christmas Harley statue isn't going to make Christmas...

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how long before they admit the Harley Quinn Black, White and Red Christmas Harley statue isn't going to make Christmas...

Not sure if they were posted in here, but there were quite a few cancellations recently:
  • BATMAN ARKHAM KNIGHT: POISON IVY ACTION FIGURE
  • BATMAN ARKHAM KNIGHT: BATMAN & THUGS ACTION FIGURE 3-PACK
  • DC COMICS DESIGNER SERIES: LEE BERMEJO GREEN LANTERN ACTION FIGURE
  • DC COMICS DESIGNER SERIES: LEE BERMEJO LEX LUTHOR ACTION FIGURE
  • DC Comics Designer Series Darwyn Cooke Adam Strange Action Figure
  • DC Icons Action Figure Accessory Pack Set 2
Shame about the Lex, and the Icons 2-pack had some cute stuff in it.

Nothing really major amongst those cancellations. I wonder if they killed those just to make more time for the other stuff that they want to get out to retail?

Some more Marvel Legends arrived today! Up first is The Man Called Nova!

Ruvfioa.jpg

pce2Iit.jpg

XMTPtvl.jpg

qPuu2Gk.jpg

I've loved this character since he was Kid Nova in the New Warriors back in the day. He makes for a really cool figure. His blue and gold Nova Prime costume came out great. Articulation is great. Wish I had taken some flight pictures with him. Now I just wish I had the rest of the New Warriors!

Up next is the God of Thunder himself. No. Not Gene Simmons, but the Mighty Thor.

pfaSvMm.jpg

tC9x8MS.jpg

KinDHDH.jpg

TZmJRjY.jpg

2YWDYeO.jpg

This is one big ass figure. Just heavy and big all around, which fits the character nicely. Between his bulk, cape and tunic his articulation is limited. I would have loved some ankle pivot, as it would making posing him a lot easier. He takes a lot of effort to keep upright if you want any kind of dynamic pose. That said, I'm happy with him. The sculpt is great and the paint is great. I'm happy to have him on my heroes shelf.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Nova is such an awesome figure! I've always loved his character. Glad they put him in the GotG wave.

Top Bottom