• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Bloodember

Got my Snow Miku today.

28533310956_db0e9db457_k.jpg

I already started buying Suicide Squad stuff as soon they started coming out. Heh. Still trying to track down the Walmart exclusive Rick Flag and El Diablo action figures. Captain Boomerang, Katana, and purple coat Joker should be out in the next few weeks. I'm not getting that "new" Batman from it until I get the rest, and only because I'll need the torso piece that comes with him to build Killer Croc.

Also, the king of Wakanda has graced me with his presence!

dankir

Sorry but this is the best headsculpt they've done.

Hot-Toys-Suicide-Squad-Deadshot-022.jpg

This was the first Hot Toys figured I ever opened up, their artists are on another level now.

review_immki_4.jpg

That's not supposed to be Robert Downey, is it? That's like, a Hasbro-tier sculpt.
It was their first Mark 1 figure back in 2008. Their 2.0 was a big step up but yeah the 1.0 version is funny to see. The one they used on their first Mark 3 is also quite something. They've come a long way.

They will still offer these are regular releases right? Asides from the Sub Zero Mark 7.
Yep, there's a regular edition and exclusive edition for each of them. So if you pick up the regular edition it won't have the following items which are only included with the exclusive.

- Mark VI has the light up helmet.
- Harley has her hammer
- Joker has his phone
- Deadshot has the Batman breather and cuffs
- Marty has the arcade gun
- Doc has the wakie talkie
- Mark VII White is the only one that's strictly exclusive limited release
I better sell mine and my War Machine now, blahhhhhh.

EDIT

Is the MK 6 Diecast a limited release or a general?
See above.

DemiMatt

Diecast MK6 is a general release

Yep, there's a regular edition and exclusive edition for each of them. So if you pick up the regular edition it won't have the following items which are only included with the exclusive.

- Mark VI has the light up helmet.
- Harley has her hammer
- Joker has his phone
- Deadshot has the Batman breather and cuffs
- Marty has the arcade gun
- Doc has the wakie talkie
- Mark VII White is the only one that's strictly exclusive limited release

See above.

Thank you guys! Now the question is which Iron Man / War Machine to buy. I really love the Diecast MK VI & WM MK1 and I love the Civil War Iron Man, not a fan of the Civil War War Machine though.

I feel like you need both from each since Tony & Rhodes are a pair. . . but from which movie . . . . I guess the first step is to sell the original stuff first . . . sighhhh I hate how they rerelease figures.

Thank you guys! Now the question is which Iron Man / War Machine to buy. I really love the Diecast MK VI & WM MK1 and I love the Civil War Iron Man, not a fan of the Civil War War Machine though.

I feel like you need both from each since Tony & Rhodes are a pair. . . but from which movie . . . . I guess the first step is to sell the original stuff first . . . sighhhh I hate how they rerelease figures.
Mark VI and WM MK1 would be the better combo if you had to pick one.

WolfStark

It was their first Mark 1 figure back in 2008. Their 2.0 was a big step up but yeah the 1.0 version is funny to see. The one their used on their first Mark 3 is also quite something. They've come a long way.

From the first pic I would've bet money on Jackie Chan! Robert Downey Jr. came to a real surprise. Hot Toys really improved vastly.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Against all odds farmboy Luke showed up this morning. I was blown away by it.

jackdoe

At least you don't have to buy a second Batman figure to get the rebreather and cuffs. You just have to buy a badass Will Smith figure, which isn't nearly as bad.

This was the first Hot Toys figured I ever opened up, their artists are on another level now.

Their artists really are stellar and this little reminder is should act as a bit of context and helps us see that these could and should be considered legitimate pieces of art, at the very least they are the result of some creativity and phenomenally refined skills and craftmanship.

I remember working in my LCS and a customer brought in the first Iron Man Hot Toy released. Even though the headsculpts have dated, when compared to newer offerings, back then they were hugely impressive and massively desirable. To be honest, it's laughable but it honestly blew our minds and got us really excited. Back then there really wasn't much on the market quite like it. I thought I'd never manage to own one let alone 30+...oh how things have changed.

LiK

Preordered Harley. Gonna skip Joker. I need to know if the movie is good before I even consider him. Might just pose Harley with Ledger Joker instead haha

LiK

Rereleases aren't gonna devalue the originals. I still sold the originals for triple what I paid when IM1 Mark 1 and 2 were rereleased with improve sculpts. Collectors want to complete their set and the older HT figures are quite hard to find these days. Mine were all sealed tho since I never displayed them.

No, Hasbro's sculpts are at least as good as that, often better. Shame about the paint.

Seriuously, look at this shit.
https://postimage.org/

Those are really nice. Though they must have taken days to do each one, where as Hasbro pumps off hundreds a day. Its a shame because there are times that the Black Series can be really great like the FN 2187 face, and the helmeted figures like Kylo Ren are so good. Poe man...

leng jai

Any reason why Hot Toys always seem to release figures 1 year after the actual movie comes out? They don't seem to care at all about capitalising on launch hype.

Simo

Any reason why Hot Toys always seem to release figures 1 year after the actual movie comes out? They don't seem to care at all about capitalising on launch hype.

They just take time to produce and waiting on approvals from the studio and/or actors for their likeness probably doesn't help not to mention the different licenses they're outputting. There's also the gap between HK and US releases that's usually a couple or more months too otherwise the release window isn't that bad.

DemiMatt

Preordered Harley. Gonna skip Joker. I need to know if the movie is good before I even consider him. Might just pose Harley with Ledger Joker instead haha

I really want Deadshot, but I'm not sure if he'd be a good display on his own or if he'd need a companion piece. I just really like Deadshot & Will Smith so it seems like a knockout to me haha.

Rereleases aren't gonna devalue the originals. I still sold the originals for triple what I paid when IM1 Mark 1 and 2 were rereleased with improve sculpts. Collectors want to complete their set and the older HT figures are quite hard to find these days. Mine were all sealed tho since I never displayed them.

I did a price check of my opened MK IV, MK VI, and WM MK 1 and I can still get 50 to 100+ more than what I paid for them (god they used to be so cheap).

Definitely going to evaluate tonight whether or not I want to sell them or upgrade. While it'd be amazing for the upgrade I feel like, it'd be great to expand my collection even more.

LiK

I really want Deadshot, but I'm not sure if he'd be a good display on his own or if he'd need a companion piece. I just really like Deadshot & Will Smith so it seems like a knockout to me haha.

I did a price check of my opened MK IV, MK VI, and WM MK 1 and I can still get 50 to 100+ more than what I paid for them (god they used to be so cheap).

Definitely going to evaluate tonight whether or not I want to sell them or upgrade. While it'd be amazing for the upgrade I feel like, it'd be great to expand my collection even more.

yea, if you need the money or space then totally sell them. people still want them and even used prices are ridiculous so if you have them sealed, that's even better.

Wow that's quite the wait. Will be worth it. Ordered all 3.

It's odd that Arkham Joker is listed of September - October this year then. That's got to be a mistake right?

According to the vets here and the guys over at SS Freaks, the Toy Fair products ship on time.

LosDaddie

Banned
Got a nice mid-year bonus at work last week.

So I went ahead and paid off all but the last flex payment for my daughter's HT Rey & BB-8 set. I'm a bit upset that the figure got delayed and I won't have it until after her birthday. I guess I'll get her a Rey Pop figure as a placeholder until the Hot Toys version gets here 🙁

I also finally preordered the HT Capt America from CW with some of the bonus money! My LCS screwed me out of the Capt America from AoU because their account with Sideshow was in default. Still pissed about that, but the Civil War version looks great.

Messi

Local comic store lists preorders for Suicide Squad hot toys

Harley Quinn $355
Joker $355
Deadshot $300

Assholes.

I can import Harley with tax and shipping and still be $55 short of that price. Straight up gouging.

Cptkrush

I feel ya, my local comic shop is such a bummer. They have huge selections of everything, great employees, and it's really well lit and spacious, but when it comes to price it's straight up garbage. They had the Marvel Legends Spider-Gwen and Venom marked up to $35 the day they got them in stock, and they really like to match ebay prices on older legends. Anyone that runs a retail store, and gets their figures wholesale should not be gouging because that's some dirty shit. I have to imagine they have a few boxes of the X-Men wave right now, and are charging 50-100 for Deadpool, but who could say, they lost my business when I caught on to their bs. I'm strictly online and big box retail, and my life has been so much better.

LosDaddie

Banned
Local comic store lists preorders for Suicide Squad hot toys

Harley Quinn $355
Joker $355
Deadshot $300

Assholes.

I can import Harley with tax and shipping and still be $55 short of that price. Straight up gouging.

I would talk to the manager about it. Tell them you'd rather buy through them, but not at marked up prices.

They should be able to work with you....if the manager is smart and likes to bring in more revenue for his/her store. That's what I was doing with my LCS until their account with Sideshow went into default.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Just pre-ordered HT Joker in Purple Coat, Joker in Straight Jacket, and Knightmare Batman. Had BvS Batman and Armor Batman already on pre-order.

Just need that Silver Suit Joker to have 3 of each.

Top Bottom