• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

So I'm in the early stages of planning a 2017 Japan trip and one thing I want to do while there is check out some shops for figures.

Do any of you guys and gals have recommendations as far as must visit stores?

It looks like a lot of what I want to do is in Akihabara, but I'm open to wherever.

Specifically, I'd love to pick up some Berserk figures, but would like to check out anything really.

Thanks!

There's literally hundreds of places to buy figures. Mandarake Galaxy is one of the best, for figures and other stuff. There's a place called Hobby Paradise near the station, they have boxes for people to sell second-hand stuff, you can find all kinds of things there. I also found a place called Figure Hobby Palace near the next station north. There's also Kotobukiya for newer stuff.

http://www.beardednerd.se/nordshopping-i-tokyo/ (article is in Swedish but you can find Google links to those places there)

I don't recall seeing Berserk stuff (including the recent Figmas) but I wasn't looking either. You could probably spend days looking in all the stores around there, but generally those I mentioned should be a good bet.

Hey, Sugah!
hmNY2NS.jpg
bLZtuhk.jpg

Vic_Viper

Haven't been in this thread before but I've picked up a few Play Arts and Revoltech figures in the past. Really want to pick up one of the new Play Arts Batman variants but don't know where to shop other than Amazon.

Anyone have a good recommendation for shopping that has the best price out of the ones in the Op for Play Arts.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Hey, Sugah!

That wave is ridiculous. Three figures getting scalped hard. I'm ordering a case right now.
EDIT: Aaaaand the store I was going to buy from sold out their preorders between last night and now.
EDIT: Found an open preorder at Entertainment Earth. Ordered. Also ordered 6" BS Hux, Asty and FN-2187 for non-scalper prices, ending a long nightmare.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, case was the only way to go for the X-Men wave. Well worth it.

Hey, Sugah!

Great collection, I adore your little DIY Iceman setup.

That wave is ridiculous. Three figures getting scalped hard. I'm ordering a case right now.
EDIT: Aaaaand the store I was going to buy from sold out their preorders between last night and now.
EDIT: Found an open preorder at Entertainment Earth. Ordered. Also ordered 6" BS Hux, Asty and FN-2187 for non-scalper prices, ending a long nightmare.

Which are the heavily scalped ones (Deadpool I'd imagine)? My local EB Games has a few and I may need to pick some up.

Also it's great to see EB Games Canada readily stocking some of the waves that seem to have passed us over for whatever reason (Absorbing Man). It stings paying $30 with no potential for a sale, but if it means I can get Black Panther and Speed Demon then I'll take it.

Great collection, I adore your little DIY Iceman setup.
Thanks! Cotton balls were used for the snow. The base came with the Magneto that's behind him, which is from the old Toy Biz Marvel Legends. Mr. Sinister and Cyclops are also from Toy Biz, as are the Sentinel parts tossed around. The Sentinel arm is there to help hide the big Sailor Moon logo on the base for Phoenix, and the foot of the Sentinel leg is keeping Onslaught up.

Still need to get Demolition Man for the left leg for Onslaught, and Wolverine to get Juggernaut's head. I didn't mean to do it on purpose, but it kinda looks like Cable blasted his head off by shooting from behind his shoulder. Hah.

Oh, yeah, I changed the display again a bit ago, so now they're all shown off more clearly, and there's space for Wolverine. I also made another wire hanger stand for Magneto.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Which are the heavily scalped ones (Deadpool I'd imagine)? My local EB Games has a few and I may need to pick some up.

Deadpool, Wolverine, Rogue.

Thanks! Cotton balls were used for the snow. The base came with the Magneto that's behind him, which is from the old Toy Biz Marvel Legends. Mr. Sinister and Cyclops are also from Toy Biz, as are the Sentinel parts tossed around. The Sentinel arm is there to help hide the big Sailor Moon logo on the base for Phoenix, and the foot of the Sentinel leg is keeping Onslaught up.

Still need to get Demolition Man for the left leg for Onslaught, and Wolverine to get Juggernaut's head. I didn't mean to do it on purpose, but it kinda looks like Cable blasted his head off by shooting from behind his shoulder. Hah.

Oh, yeah, I changed the display again a bit ago, so now they're all shown off more clearly, and there's space for Wolverine. I also made another wire hanger stand for Magneto.

I've got to admire the creativity of all of it. I kind of just stick mine on the shelf in a cool pose and be done with it.

I should definitely get around to organizing my figures, right now they're too crammed together but I'm not sure what the alternative is because I don't want to remove any and haven't got a whole lot of space.

I still have to finish off Thanos, Ultron and Hulkbuster, plus I still have Vision and Speed Demon who I have yet to set up.

Deadpool, Wolverine, Rogue.

Makes sense, the only ones I've seen readily are Phoenix, Kitty Pride and Havok.

Replicant

GAF, please tell me I don't need this figure. It's expensive (Hot Toys pricing) and I'm not sure of King Arts quality. Also, do I need another Iron Man figure?

1NMRz2n.jpg

Filed under: #LookAtYourLife #LookAtYourChoices #ItsExpensive! #DoINeedAnotherIronManFigure?#KingArtsWho?

TAJ

Oh, man... the Walgreens-exclusive Punisher is out. That thing is nice.

NEO0MJ

GAF, please tell me I don't need this figure. It's expensive (Hot Toys pricing) and I'm not sure of King Arts quality. Also, do I need another Iron Man figure?

1NMRz2n.jpg

Filed under: #LookAtYourLife #LookAtYourChoices #ItsExpensive! #DoINeedAnotherIronManFigure?#KingArtsWho?

All I know is that I originally wanted their Iron Monger until I saw the price.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
As much as I love Godzilla and other various Kaiju, I don't actually own any MonsterArts figures. Mostly only have NECA/Bandai Godzilla stuff. Been super tempted by Gamera though.

1NMRz2n.jpg

You need this figure.

You need all the figures.

all of them

King Arts have pretty decent quality, just a really weird scale. It's about the only version of the Mark II you're gonna find for sub-$300 at this point though.

Yarbskoo

Even without paint or decals applied, this thing looks so damn cool.There's a lot of detail here, with armor plates, panel lines, and rivets.
The articulation is pretty damn good, though posing can get a bit tricky due to all of the shifting parts and the stand which honestly just kind of sucks, as well as some stiff joints.
The transformation is a bit tricky but you get the hang of it after doing it a couple of times.
9V0xWt3.png
YAepZ1V.png
kWCNBeP.png
Vnynb1u.png

Daingurse

As much as I love Godzilla and other various Kaiju, I don't actually own any MonsterArts figures. Mostly only have NECA/Bandai Godzilla stuff. Been super tempted by Gamera though.]

That Heisei Gamera is pretty cool, it also caught my eye since I loved that series of films. You should take the plunge, MonsterArts is a pretty awesome line. Wish I could afford more lol.

TAJ

King Arts have pretty decent quality, just a really weird scale. It's about the only version of the Mark II you're gonna find for sub-$300 at this point though.

NECA has a really weird scale, too.

TAJ

I really only buy NECA 1/4 and their scale isn't that off for that particular line.

I meant the slightly under 1/10 scale they use for most of what they make.

SuperSah

Banned

I really have to see your collections...

In other news, Hyper Japan in London is bring GOOD SMILE COMPANY ALONG and they will be selling FIGMA! This is great news, finally get some figures from the source without all the import hassle.

They sometimes bring one or two version of the Ryuko Matoi figure which sells for huge amounts due to it receiving no re-releases, so MASSIVE fingers crossed! Hopefully be able to bag some Kill la Kill Nendos too.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
He might have a good point 5% of the time I wouldn't put too much cash into Diggeh stock.

Do I know you?

Haloid pls you should be focusing on getting him to buy Four Horsemen figures

In other news, Hyper Japan in London is bring GOOD SMILE COMPANY ALONG and they will be selling FIGMA! This is great news, finally get some figures from the source without all the import hassle.

They sometimes bring one or two version of the Ryuko Matoi figure which sells for huge amounts due to it receiving no re-releases, so MASSIVE fingers crossed! Hopefully be able to bag some Kill la Kill Nendos too.

Get 'em all! If you love KLK so much, load up! They're great figures.

Just got this badass Master Chief from Mattel at Target. I'll probably be getting the Ghost with Elite soon. I wish that the Warthog they did was in this 6-inch scale, but instead it's for 12-inch figures, which I don't collect. Hopefully they do one soon.

Not huge into Halo, but Mattel seems to be continuing the McFarlane legacy quite well, especially having a build-a-figure and tons of accessories. Most of the older figures were quite barebones.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

If there was one franchise that GSC should re-release... I'm really sad that I didn't pick any of the Nendos or Figmas up at the time, as I was just getting into their figures :/ Now they are like unicorns and sell for top dollar.

SuperSah

Banned
Get 'em all! If you love KLK so much, load up! They're great figures.

I'd love to but getting these in the UK is a chore. Luckily I got Satsuki and she should be here tomorrow. Ryuko and the whole Nendo line are insanely expensive so getting them is a bit difficult.

I'm very certain GSC will bring some to the convention, they are known to do so to draw traffic but knowing my luck they'll be gone by the time I even get there!

If there was one franchise that GSC should re-release... I'm really sad that I didn't pick any of the Nendos or Figmas up at the time, as I was just getting into their figures :/ Now they are like unicorns and sell for top dollar.

Yeah, the Nintendo ones are notorious for selling out way too fast. I only have Link. Samus and Lucina are rare but when they do pop up they are decently priced (unlike Ryuko Matoi grrrrrrrrr).

Lucina is re-releasing this month so I will keep an eye on her and will preorder everything the moment it is announced from here on out. Zelda and TP Link will be mine!

Owzers

I had posted about this in the comics-ot, but i thought i'd take it to the figure source.

I don't like that one eye didn't get enough paint at the top so it's just a lot of eyeball with no eyeliner, the paint just stops halfway above her right eye. Does color pencil work on such small fixes or does it have to be paint/exchange for another one?

I don't like that one eye didn't get enough paint at the top so it's just a lot of eyeball with no eyeliner, the paint just stops halfway above her right eye. Does color pencil work on such small fixes or does it have to be paint/exchange for another one?

You're the only person I know who freaks out to this extent over imperfections in the paint. For the price you're paying, you're not going to get one that's perfect. DC Collectibles by nature are like this pretty much across the board. You're probably going to find something wrong with every one. I would suggest either a fine-tipped marker or paintbrush. Or if you wanna go all-in, buy some real eyeliner for her. :D

Owzers

You're the only person I know who freaks out to this extent over imperfections in the paint. For the price you're paying, you're not going to get one that's perfect. DC Collectibles by nature are like this pretty much across the board. You're probably going to find something wrong with every one. I would suggest either a fine-tipped marker or paintbrush. Or if you wanna go all-in, buy some real eyeliner for her. :D

if i put eyeliner on her she will become real. And probably evil.

I saw a picture of someone's supergirl figure on the internets and her eyes were painted well, therefore if i continue to exchange figure after figure i'm bound to get a good one, surely Amazon isn't just sending me all the bad ones.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
DCC figures are great, but they do have a few QC issues including bad paint apps and sculpt-work at times. They also suffer from an abhorrent release schedule and tons of delays, my favorite of which being that Christmas Joker is coming out a few days AFTER Christmas.

Not huge into Halo, but Mattel seems to be continuing the McFarlane legacy quite well, especially having a build-a-figure and tons of accessories. Most of the older figures were quite barebones.

I've loved Halo since the original came out, but I never got any collectibles before. This Master Chief is my first. I heard McFarlane's figures were pretty good, but didn't have the best articulation. This new Master Chief has identical articulation to Hasbro's Marvel Legends figures, which is awesome. I'm not sure why they did the removal armor thing, but it's no big deal.

I've been playing with Master Chief all day, he's pretty great. Once I get the Ghost with Elite, I'm planning to pose him diving down to steal it, which should look awesome.

Here he is with a few other of my video game figures. I might take a picture with all of the ones I have later.
Please excuse the paint on Mega Man. He came with shiny metallic paint that fell off within minutes of getting him. :(

Tamashii announced a new line called Dynamic Classics for 2017 dedicated to Go Nagai's creations.

To get us started they showed the first 2 releases

dynamicclassics-gonagqajiy.jpg

GX-70 Mazinger Z quite possible the most "anime accurate" version of Mazinger Z I've seen. this one will be mine day 1

And freaking Figuarts Devilman

Oh yes, 2017 already threatening my wallet.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: HALOID PLS STOP BEING ON THE SAME WAVELENGTH

Final reminder that Mythic Legions 1.75/1.0 All-Stars preorders end tonight at 11:59 PM EST/8:59 PM PST. If you're still on the fence about who to get, this site has some pretty nice high quality close pictures from SDCC.

They have a new storefront now as well! Looks way better than the ancient clunky Yahoo store. Maybe the PayPal issue was a blessing in disguise.

Also if you don't get Ignatius you will be forever shunned.

SHUUUUUUUUUNNED

TAJ

That first troll is incredible.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Guys pls you have an hour order everything from 4H now

pls

get Ignatius get Ignatius get Ignatius get Ignatius get Ignatius get Ignatius

Top Bottom