• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Jaeger

The NECA Predator line is so good. There's just so much variation within the line, even though they retain the same basic design. I've got quite a few of them, and can't wait to add more. The newer bucks used for the AVP line are amazing. Just super articulated and massive. These are my favorite Predator figures I've gotten so far:

pS2EYGD.jpg

Bad Blood Predator, based on the Dark Horse comic.

4dr7a6D.jpg

Elder Predator, from Predator 2

5tWl2xN.jpg

Snake Predator, from Predator 2

7bpqSp6.jpg

Scar Predator, from AVP

I couldn't recommend these guys highly enough. Last I looked, they can be found for relatively reasonable prices and haven't experienced crazy after-market markups yet. I don't own any of the Any Time or Pussy Face figures yet. I'm holding out for the ultimate versions NECA plans to release soon.

Those figures look amazing. And what's the about "Ultimate" versions? I saw the Scarface one coming out labeled as "Ultimate". So that's a thing that is gonna be in future figures? What makes it ultimate?

Those figures look amazing. And what's the about "Ultimate" versions? I saw the Scarface one coming out labeled as "Ultimate". So that's a thing that is gonna be in future figures? What makes it ultimate?

NECA is re-doing some of their older figures with modern articulation and improved sculpting. They call them the Ultimate to differentiate them from the older figure. They've already shown off the new Anytime (Jungle Hunter) and Pussy Face (City Hunter) figures, and they look great.

Jaeger

NECA is re-doing some of their older figures with modern articulation and improved sculpting. They call them the Ultimate to differentiate them from the older figure. They've already shown off the new Anytime (Jungle Hunter) and Pussy Face (City Hunter) figures, and they look great.

Ok, I am in. Any images of them both released?

Edit: Found some images of the prototype City Hunter. Looks great! I'm glad I held out for these new ones. Gonna have to get both Jungle and City Hunter. I'm sure Guardian/Gort will follow.

They could have also called them "Cash-Grab" editions, and it would have also been just as telling.

I don't know about that. Sure, they are re-doing the same figures, but I think there's real room for improvement on them. I have the old Jungle Hunter body on the Dark Horse Predator. The articulation is pretty bad, so I'm extremely glad I never shelled out the aftermarket prices for the original figure. Plus the figures are going for $50+ in the secondary market, and anything reasonably priced is a bad bootleg. They could've simply re-released the original Jungle Hunter Predator for newer collectors. Instead, they're bringing the figure up to current standards.

Ok, I am in. Any images of them both released?

Here's some pics of them and the Concrete Jungle Predator from SDCC They've got loads of articulation and accessories, including two heads (masked and unmasked).

Jaeger

I don't know about that. Sure, they are re-doing the same figures, but I think there's real room for improvement on them. I have the old Jungle Hunter body on the Dark Horse Predator. The articulation is pretty bad, so I'm extremely glad I never shelled out the aftermarket prices for the original figure. Plus the figures are going for $50+ in the secondary market, and anything reasonably priced is a bad bootleg. They could've simply re-released the original Jungle Hunter Predator for newer collectors. Instead, they're bringing the figure up to current standards.

I agree. The easier route would simply be to re-release the figures. Making brand new ones with waaaaaay more articulation than ever before is good business and attempting to please their fans. And eBay and other places are FLOODED with bootlegs. I'm just gonna stay away and stick with the newer releases.

Here's some pics of them and the Concrete Jungle Predator from SDCC They've got loads of articulation and accessories, including two heads (masked and unmasked).

Jungle Hunter looks amazing. Where is that pre-order?! Lol

Got Bucky and Falcon in the mail like a week or two ago after not being able to find them in stores, and then lo and behold...the Walmart I usually go to has tons of them.

If you live around Orlando/Kissimmee, this was at the Walmart next to Medieval Times.

Holy shit I just noticed in the photo you took, one of the ice-men in the photo has been swapped for the toybiz Series 8 one and the Blob BAF piece.

Lu_Hh_Esf.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
Holy shit I just noticed in the photo you took, one of the ice-men in the photo has been swapped for the toybiz Series 8 one and the Blob BAF piece.

Lu_Hh_Esf.jpg

This shit is an epidemic. Seeing it a lot in real life and in tons and tons of photos online.

People who do this need to feel bad.

NEO0MJ

wait, what's happening? What's the epidemic?

People buying a new figure and replacing it with a past version of the character. For example it was pretty common with Transformers toys for people to buy a new version of a movie character, put the old one/ a cheap knock off in the box, and return it to the store. Spacialized stores might catch this but say your local Walmart employee might not notice.

People buying a new figure and replacing it with a past version of the character. For example it was pretty common with Transformers toys for people to buy a new version of a movie character, put the old one/ a cheap knock off in the box, and return it to the store. Spacialized stores might catch this but say your local Walmart employee might not notice.
Gonna have try this by switching in a Robert Cop 2 figure.

Vyer

oohhh

i saw that once

xPKXO1L.jpg

bjork

I see this probably 80% of the time I look at wrestling toys at a Target or wherever. Granted, I don't go as often as I used to, but when the guy doesn't even fit in the bubble fight, why do they allow it to happen?

I see this probably 80% of the time I look at wrestling toys at a Target or wherever. Granted, I don't go as often as I used to, but when the guy doesn't even fit in the bubble fight, why do they allow it to happen?

I dont know its ridiculous. Either the employees are uninformed or simply dont care. One time i reported one to the manager at Walmart. A few days later I went over to where the action figures were, and sure enough the same figure was there. It was the Odin Wave Sentry but someone replaced the BAF piece with an arm from Drax of the GOTG wave. Scummy as shit.

WolfStark

Does someone know how long it usually takes until figuarts go from announcement to preorder? I really want this new Hover Tank Driver, I can't wait to have it in my basket, let alone in my hands but for the moment I would be satisfied to know I bought "him".^^

Just got these at Walmart.

Also got a Goomba the other day, and Speed Demon, Morbius, and Beetle.

That Mario isn't part of the World of Nintendo line like the rest, by the way...he's an old ToyBiz Mario Kart 64 figure.

Morbius and Jack O'Lantern are awesome figures. Jack does trouble standing in certain poses, though. You have to work with him a bit. Morbius was my first Legends, and he remains one of my favorites.

Do those marvel figures not say the guy's name anywhere on the package?

Sometimes. It just depends if the figure shares their packaging with another character.

Well. The bootleggers are to outdo Marvel Legends. This Bettany Vision is shockingly decent. Nice sculpt, decent articulation and very good likeness. For me it's a good starting point. He's a shade too tall and the paint details could be improved. But for a fake of a non existing official figure it's damn good for 8 quid.
cbe0cd7a498395252931aa7b44214a65.jpg

This isn't my picture.

They have also done the rest of the team.

Here's a quick pic of Miles Spidey, Jack O'Lantern, and the Absorbing Man that we just finished thanks to the piece included with Jack.
Also, I bought a Bullet Bill at Walgreens.
Morbius and Jack O'Lantern are awesome figures. Jack does trouble standing in certain poses, though. You have to work with him a bit. Morbius was my first Legends, and he remains one of my favorites.
Yeah, they're great! I wish Jack came with some extra gripping hands for his accessories, but it's no big deal.

3N16MA

Banned
NECA announced the Mirage Comics Foot Clan Box. 3000 sets go up for pre-order ($100) on September 8th and the only other place to get it is at NYCC.

Great addition if you have the NECA Mirage Turtles.

NYCC2016-TMNT-Foot-Clan-Set-NECA-019.jpg

NYCC2016-TMNT-Foot-Clan-Set-NECA-034.jpg

NYCC2016-TMNT-Foot-Clan-Set-NECA-035.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
NECA announced the Mirage Comics Foot Clan Box. 3000 sets go up for pre-order ($100) on September 8th and the only other place to get it is at NYCC.

Great addition if you have the NECA Mirage Turtles.

Absolutely awesome!

Replicant

I'm sad knowing that any Square Enix characters will inevitably get PAK treatment instead of GSC or Hot Toys one. I would love to buy Nyx Ulric figurines but not at PAK's price and shit-tier quality.

The Uncharted 4 Nathan Drake NECA is probably NECA's best figure to date. Probably the best video game character figure out there, especially at 30 dollars. Better than Dutch, better than Rambo, better than Kratos, better than MGS2 Figma Snake! If there's one criticism, it's that it suffers from loose wrist joints ala Aliens Dwayne Hicks. Need to find a way to tighten those up! Also needs a better left hand sculpt for him to grips his hands into the AK47 or to hold his Para 45 onto the bottom of his hand.

Jaeger

I had no idea the bootleg market for NECA figures was not only there but so numerous. All over eBay for sure.

And what seems to be legimate figures are freaking ridiculously priced on the second hand market. In particular some of the "Lost Predators" from Predator 2 are going for 4-5 times or more than their original $25 dollar price range. Are they really that rare?

I would rather get a not as good bootleg than pay $150+ for the figure I want. :/

I had no idea the bootleg market for NECA figures was not only there but so numerous. All over eBay for sure.

And what seems to be legimate figures are freaking ridiculously priced on the second hand market. In particular some of the "Lost Predators" from Predator 2 are going for 4-5 times or more than their original $25 dollar price range. Are they really that rare?

I would rather get a not as good bootleg than pay $150+ for the figure I want. :/

The eBay effect, someone has an item, goes to eBay to check prices on said item, proceeds to ask for the same price, most eBay figures are overpriced since nobody really checks real market value they just copy whatever prices they see there.

The eBay effect, someone has an item, goes to eBay to check prices on said item, proceeds to ask for the same price, most eBay figures are overpriced since nobody really checks real market value they just copy whatever prices they see there.
And what is "real market value?" If people are willing to pay those prices then how is that not an accurate representation of a figures current value? I find checking sold listings on eBay to be rather helpful actually.

And what is "real market value?" If people are willing to pay those prices then how is that not an accurate representation of a figures current value? I find checking sold listings on eBay to be rather helpful actually.

that's the thing, most of those items don't move, they get relisted over and over.
yes you can find good deals and nice priced things but that's not the case with the majority of things related to collecting/hobbies.
the only price check most of people do before putting something up for sale on ebay is just a quick search on the same producton eBay, and that doesn't really tell the whole story about an item's worth.

that's the thing, most of those items don't move, they get relisted over and over.
yes you can find good deals and nice priced things but that's not the case with the majority of things related to collecting/hobbies.
the only price check most of people do before putting something up for sale on ebay is just a quick search on the same producton eBay, and that doesn't really tell the whole story about an item's worth.
That's why I mentioned sold listings though. Checking sold listings is pretty telling, the average selling prices are usually lower then the active listings across the board. I don't recommend anyone base an item's worth on eBay active listings.

Ugh, Sideshow is giving me grief about having my Rey and BB8 shipped to my work which I had to change my shipping address to since they require a signature. Now they're threatening to cancel if I don't get it resolved quickly. I wish this would have come up sooner rather than feeling rushed under the threatening of cancelation.

Yarbskoo

I'm sad knowing that any Square Enix characters will inevitably get PAK treatment instead of GSC or Hot Toys one. I would love to buy Nyx Ulric figurines but not at PAK's price and shit-tier quality.

I feel the same way. A damn shame we'll never get figmas of Cloud or Vivi, and the original Play Arts figures aren't that easy to come by.

Hell, at this rate, we may never even get that Cloud amiibo.

Bah is Sideshow terrible with communication? I replied to their e-mail 24 hours ago as requested and nothing. Nothing tellling me things are good, or that it's not good enough. Nothing telling me if they shipped or if I'm still fucked. Really annoyed about this especially since they have a huge chunk of my money already.

Bah is Sideshow terrible with communication? I replied to their e-mail 24 hours ago as requested and nothing. Nothing tellling me things are good, or that it's not good enough. Nothing telling me if they shipped or if I'm still fucked. Really annoyed about this especially since they have a huge chunk of my money already.

Just give them a call. Their customer service is pretty easy to deal with.

Top Bottom