• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

New Toys!!!

1251886_zpsg9swb5gr.jpg

1251887_zpsgjdy9mta.jpg

1251888_zpsglyo2jrt.jpg

1251890_zpsgotstsyr.jpg

1251889_zps0tsdczp4.jpg

David. Link me to a favorite video review of a Macross figure. I want to see what these figures are about.
This is a good review of the VF-1 valkrie figure re-released in 2016

it's a classic design is based off the 80's anime movie: (ending scene)

The pre-order from last night was from the most recent series, Macross Delta. that just ended September 2016. Macross has one or two figures that become the most popular based on color scheme and on screen character. Last night's pre-order, Messer's VF-31F, is probably the most popular hence why they lasted 1 minute or less. but this is only the second release of the delta figures coming out.

this is Messer's valk in the anime in case you're curious (has major spoilers)

I wasn't planning on buying anything but wanted to see the rush for myself. Are they extremely limited or are there really that many Macross fans?

based on Bandai releasing new toys in 2016-2017 based off the old 80's designs shows there's demand for Macross. added to the fact a new Macross series debuted 2016 and Macross Frontier from 2008 was very successful, i'd say it's a combination of both.

But Bandai still prints DX Macross Chogokin line very limited to the frustration of many.

There's the 10" BT-7274 Titan figure that's actually a figure unlike those awful Color Tops arm-articulation-only statue things, but it's not out yet. It even comes with a little 3" Jack Cooper!

How did McFarlane screw up the release date of that BT so badly? It was originally supposed to release in late 2016, but then they pushed it back to April of 2017. Talk about missing the mark... Titanfall 2 will have been out for 6 months by then.

This is a good review of the VF-1 valkrie figure re-released in 2016

it's a classic design is based off the 80's anime movie: (ending scene)

The pre-order from last night was from the most recent series, Macross Delta. that just ended September 2016. Macross has one or two figures that become the most popular based on color scheme and on screen character. Last night's pre-order, Messer's VF-31F, is probably the most popular hence why they lasted 1 minute or less. but this is only the second release of the delta figures coming out.

this is Messer's valk in the anime in case you're curious (has major spoilers)

based on Bandai releasing new toys in 2016-2017 based off the old 80's designs shows there's demand for Macross. added to the fact a new Macross series debuted 2016 and Macross Frontier from 2008 was very successful, i'd say it's a combination of both.

But Bandai still prints DX Macross Chogokin line very limited to the frustration of many.

Looks cool. I would be so afraid of breaking it though. I get nervous handling my own stuff.

Those little stage dioramas are neat.

Indeed...

se1-800x800.jpg

se2-800x800.jpg

They have three other stages that you can purchase separately from BigBoysToys.

Ryu vs. Ken (Ryu's stage)

Ryu1-800x800.jpg

Guile vs. Chun Li (Guile's stage)

Guile1-800x800.jpg

Guile vs. Chun Li (Chun Li's stage)

CL1-800x800.jpg

Hoping they either make all three a package deal (to save on shipping) or that BigBadToyStore brings them in so I can pick them up from them.

Looks cool. I would be so afraid of breaking it though. I get nervous handling my own stuff.
if you ever decide to test the waters, for starters i would recommend an
Arcadia 1/60 VF-1 and the recent release VF-31 from the Bandai DX Chogokin line. They are different companies (main rivals for macross figures) but both are rock solid with little fear of breakage from rough handling.

here's a transformation video of the vf-1

the VF-1 1/60 figure i linked previously is version 2.2 which have been through 4-5 revisions and that mold has stood the test of time for about 8 years (VF-1 ver.2.0 released in 2008) that is solid as a rock. very easy to transform, i would highly recommend it. i have about 40+ of just that VF-1 figure and handle them daily.
the reviewer pointed out to be careful with the shoulders to conscious about them when transforming but they're very solid. These were made by now defunct Yamato and Arcadia brought the molds. they are really solid.

Sadly. the new molds by Arcadia (aside from taking old Yamato molds and re-releasing them), the VF-0, an all new mold post Yamato, is very fragile. the legs broke off their initial offerings of the VF-0D and VF-0A. later fixed on the recent release of the VF-0S. i was disappointed from their growing pains as i felt i wasted money being an early adopter which made me hesitate bc the VF-0 figures are about 330-350 each. (about twice the cost of a VF-1)

The Bandai DX Chogokin line have gone through revisions. ver. 1 (which were horrible toys) fell apart. but once they came out with a renewal version 2 for their DX line, it's been rock solid.
VF-31 that just came out further refined many issues from it's predecessors so that's a fun toy to handle.
transformation video for the VF-31
-VF-31Review

the only problem with the DX Chogokin line it is near impossible to pre-order or buy at retail. and will leave you very very frustrated trying to get your hands on one.

I love those Street Fighter dioramas. If they ever make one of Blanka vs Honda I'll buy it. Or one featuring just Blanka would be fine.

Blanka is already released...

big_boys_toys_blanka.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBh_Jx4g_e4

E. Honday prototype showed up at Toy Soul...

honda_zpsjbufuhcf.jpg

They're doing all 12 of the original Street Fighter 2 cast including bosses. Zangief showed up at Toy Soul also and he's AMAZING!

zangief_zps5se3qfic.jpg

Dhalsim is also currently available for pre-order...

big_boys_toys_dhalsim.jpg

And I'm not sure how they plan to display him but...there was an Akuma at Toy Soul also...

big_boys_toys_akuma_prototype.jpg

kunonabi

Figma Zero Suit Samus turned up today!

What a figure - the paint job on her is incredible. I love the sheen of her armour and hair and all the intricate detail placed into her suit's emblems and weapons. She looks exactly how ZSS should look and it's so very well done.

A nice stand out is how her skin-tight suit is emphasised. Her belly button and feminine curves and indentations are subtle and just there. It really does well to show she's wearing such a tight suit.

Excellent stuff! My only complaint is the included helmet is virtually useless despite being very well made and painted. They should have given her a small Metroid to shoot at or something, but otherwise it's an excellent figure and one to get before it sells out and reaches stupid aftermarket prices as these tend to.

I was hoping for her harness and ponytail personally. I still like the figure even though I don't like the metallic look.

oh you have a lego falcon. neat!

My first ever Lego Star Wars set. It was all alone for years.

That Groot looks pretty amazing.

Great display. Kinda wish I would've picked up HT Phasma and Kylo now.

Yeah. Thought for sure they would have done one with a Driver sculpt. Kylo is a really good figure. He is pretty basic looking in my display but if you get him out and put him in some action poses, all the layers underneath come out along with the boots and you appreciate the detail. Only problem is those huge action poses don't fit on the base and take up to much space in the Detolf.

Gengahrrr

Sooo I've unfortunately just now learned how bad ass looking the Legacy Dragonzord is and now I must have it.

This also unfortunately means the ones that are still out there have their original prices at least doubled. Am I forced to pay one of those prices or can I still get lucky and find one at Toys r us (non black and gold version)?

Yarbskoo

Is there a reason the Zero Suit Samus figma retails for like £30 more than the armoured Samus did.

Looking just at the ones I've bought, there's a fairly clear trend of rising prices.

Aigis - ¥2,667
Samus Aran - ¥3,619
Link - ¥3,619
Lucina - ¥6,296
Link: A Link Between Worlds ver. - DX Edition - ¥5,556
Samus Aran: Zero Suit ver. - ¥6,000
Makoto Yuki - ¥6,000
Link: Twilight Princess ver. DX Edition - ¥6,000
Zelda: Twilight Princess ver. - ¥5,556
Phoenix Wright - ¥6,800
Corrin (Female) - ¥6,800

fake transformers don't exist. only ko's and 3rd party. it's 3rd party.
I'd say that KOs and "3rd Party" qualify as fake Transformers, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing.

"3rd Party" is an informal term that fans use to describe independent companies that make original toys based on the Transformers license without permission. They can't use any official names or logos, and are not officially licensed. They're very popular as they often make toys that fans crave that Takara or Hasbro has not, or will not make themselves, aimed at the collector market. They are "fake" in the sense that they aren't official, but the toys themselves are completely original designs, most of the time. These should really be called Unofficial or something more accurate, but I think 3rd Party stuck because in the early days it was an easier sell rather than straight up calling your toy unofficial. Also can be easily abbreviated to 3P..

Actual 3rd party would be companies like Art Storm or 3A, companies that aren't Takara or Hasbro but have acquired licenses to create official Transformers merchandise.

KOs are knock-offs, AKA bootlegs. Counterfeit versions of already existing product, so these are definitely fake. KOs are traditionally of lower quality than the genuine article, but these days KOs can be of very high quality, sometimes even improving on the original through minor tweaks in the design, and sometimes being almost impossible differentiate without close inspection. Often made to be a cheaper alternative to the genuine article.

JLynn

I'd say that KOs and "3rd Party" qualify as fake Transformers, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing.

"3rd Party" is an informal term that fans use to describe independent companies that make original toys based on the Transformers license without permission. They can't use any official names or logos, and are not officially licensed. They're very popular as they often make toys that fans crave that Takara or Hasbro has not, or will not make themselves, aimed at the collector market. They are "fake" in the sense that they aren't official, but the toys themselves are completely original designs, most of the time. These should really be called Unofficial or something more accurate, but I think 3rd Party stuck because in the early days it was an easier sell rather than straight up calling your toy unofficial. Also can be easily abbreviated to 3P..

Actual 3rd party would be companies like Art Storm or 3A, companies that aren't Takara or Hasbro but have acquired licenses to create official Transformers merchandise.

KOs are knock-offs, AKA bootlegs. Counterfeit versions of already existing product, so these are definitely fake. KOs are traditionally of lower quality than the genuine article, but these days KOs can be of very high quality, sometimes even improving on the original through minor tweaks in the design, and sometimes being almost impossible differentiate without close inspection. Often made to be a cheaper alternative to the genuine article.

3rd parties were good a while ago but nowadays Takara and Hasbro are using them as a barometer for future releases. Third party Devastaters selling out at $300-600 depending on the maker? Design not just an official version, but build an entire line of combiners. Third party Shockwave, Bumblebee, Ratchet/Ironhide, Inferno/Grapple, and Hot Rod? Quick! Make those masterpieces!!

Of course Takara and Hasbro are noticing the KOs and doing their best to thwart them by re-releasing many masterpiece figures. Soundwave, his cassettes, Starscream, and Prime are being reissued in response to the KO versions trickling through the market. Hasbro had reissued their version of Soundwave for the Asian market to satiate demand of their package, which was going for upwards of $300 on eBay.

So the bootleg companies are getting smart. They found a gimmick. Take a masterpiece, and make it bigger. And dammit, it's working. I'm guilty as charged.

The Prime on the left is the Wei Jiang MPP10. The Prime on the right is the authentic Takara MP10. I love Prime and while I am extremely glad to own MP10, it was lacking in a few spots. Mainly the soulless eyes, the lack of paint details when compared to the Hasbro release, and fewer die cast parts when compared to the MP1. MPP10 solved it and then some. It is so solid; it has to be held to be believed. And they didn't stop at this. They took an undesirable movie design Prime, collaborated with TF modder Black Apple, and produced a very desirable figure.

There's also "Tanaka" took Masterpiece Sideswipe and blew him up to 1/18 scale in car mode, with impressive results.

And "Robot Hero" recently released their oversized Masterpiece Starscream. Just look at him.

I'm all for supporting the official releases but I'm a fan of larger sized figures and these companies are supplying a demand. People are biting.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
So the bootleg companies are getting smart. They found a gimmick. Take a masterpiece, and make it bigger.

They've been doing this with Pokemon plush in the past few years, too. Easy to spot the bootleg, since sizes that big of the plush don't exist. Not only that, but they have designs of Pokemon that never officially even had a plush (or at least in that pattern), so either they are making new unofficial plush, or kept the designs of scrapped ideas from the factory.

I still wouldn't want a bootleg... Such shoddy materials used, 9/10 times. Especially for plush, because I have heard stories of them being stuffed with things from newspapers to used bandages... yeah. (Please never buy $5 Pokemon bootlegs off Amazon/eBay!)

LiK

I'm all for 3rd party. Got that TMNT Krang figure last year and it's amazing. Can't wait for Shredder from the same company. They're making high quality figures that the official license holders won't bother with.

Yes.

I'll post pictures of them in a few minutes.

Edit: Took more than a few minutes...

Cool, might nab a few.

Looking just at the ones I've bought, there's a fairly clear trend of rising prices.

Aigis - ¥2,667
Samus Aran - ¥3,619
Link - ¥3,619
Lucina - ¥6,296
Link: A Link Between Worlds ver. - DX Edition - ¥5,556
Samus Aran: Zero Suit ver. - ¥6,000
Makoto Yuki - ¥6,000
Link: Twilight Princess ver. DX Edition - ¥6,000
Zelda: Twilight Princess ver. - ¥5,556
Phoenix Wright - ¥6,800
Corrin (Female) - ¥6,800

Well at least it not just UK prices then. Kinda sucks it almost double price between Samus figures though. The figma costs almost as much as the larger better detail ZSS figure released a couple years back.

Got

Banned
3rd parties were good a while ago but nowadays Takara and Hasbro are using them as a barometer for future releases. Third party Devastaters selling out at $300-600 depending on the maker? Design not just an official version, but build an entire line of combiners. Third party Shockwave, Bumblebee, Ratchet/Ironhide, Inferno/Grapple, and Hot Rod? Quick! Make those masterpieces!!

Of course Takara and Hasbro are noticing the KOs and doing their best to thwart them by re-releasing many masterpiece figures. Soundwave, his cassettes, Starscream, and Prime are being reissued in response to the KO versions trickling through the market. Hasbro had reissued their version of Soundwave for the Asian market to satiate demand of their package, which was going for upwards of $300 on eBay.

So the bootleg companies are getting smart. They found a gimmick. Take a masterpiece, and make it bigger. And dammit, it's working. I'm guilty as charged.

The Prime on the left is the Wei Jiang MPP10. The Prime on the right is the authentic Takara MP10. I love Prime and while I am extremely glad to own MP10, it was lacking in a few spots. Mainly the soulless eyes, the lack of paint details when compared to the Hasbro release, and fewer die cast parts when compared to the MP1. MPP10 solved it and then some. It is so solid; it has to be held to be believed. And they didn't stop at this. They took an undesirable movie design Prime, collaborated with TF modder Black Apple, and produced a very desirable figure.

There's also "Tanaka" took Masterpiece Sideswipe and blew him up to 1/18 scale in car mode, with impressive results.

And "Robot Hero" recently released their oversized Masterpiece Starscream. Just look at him.

I'm all for supporting the official releases but I'm a fan of larger sized figures and these companies are supplying a demand. People are biting.

The sad thing is the quality of that MPP-10 is so much better than the original. It's amazing in hand. The most recent 3rd party piece for me was the KFC Simba for my MP Star Saber.

reduced-galery_image_12251_21408.jpg

Those two together is unbelievable. It's unfortunate Takara never did Victory Saber as a follow-up.

Top Bottom