• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Picked up NECA's 1/4 scale Iron Man Mark 7.

2727785-img_20150211_220053.jpg

For the price (80-90 bucks), it's not bad. The paint is nice and glossy, as you'd want for Iron Man. I believe the shoulder pads are actually a bit further out from the torso then on the actual suit, but I think NECA sacrificed accuracy for the added articulation.

The articulation in general is okay, but my favorite pieces are the air brakes/flaps on his back. You can actually get 3 individual flaps on each side. There's a large lower flap, an upper flap, and then a smaller gray flap on the upper flap that you can flip out. You can have them all fully opened, or even pose them in mid-deployment, like a lotus opening up.

The figure comes with two sets of hands, open repulsor-ready, or closed fists. I switched them to the fists cause that's what I prefer. But a warning, those hands really require some strength to fit all the way into the sockets. I tried my hardest and you can still see some gap between the hands and the rest of the arm. As for the hand covers, those are actually made out of flexible vinyl, so no need to worry about those getting damaged.

There's also light-up features for the eyes, chest reactor, and hands. The lit up eyes look really good in the dark:

Personally, I prefer to have just the eyes lit up, because the chest light is actually pretty damn bright and a bit overpowering.

Now, are there problems? Well, yeah... the quality control on this figure is pretty shocking. The two main problems I found on my figure are shown here:

1) The back of the helmet has chipped off and exposed the plastic. It's not just some paint that's gone either, there's some chunk of the actual helmet missing. Obviously not that noticeable when you're displaying the figure from the front, but still.

2) Look at the lower torso. Why are there three yellow strips on one side, but only two on the other side? Because the entire torso assembly is crooked. My Iron Man figure arrived with scoliosis of the spine. I've tried to straighten it out but nope, it doesn't seem to be an articulation. The torso's stuck in this curved position. Now, that doesn't mean it's that bad of a pose, as my pics show, but it would be nice to be able to have him in some other poses. As it is, my Iron Man is stuck as more of a statue.

Outside of those glaring quality control problems, the figure is hard to keep from falling. The legs and feet aren't weighted at all, so the whole thing is just top heavy and inevitably leads to the falling. The joints in the feet aren't very strong or ratcheted so they can give out and cause the torso to gradually lean forward, where the weight brings it falling down. It's already fallen down twice since I've gotten it and scraped some gold paint off of the top of the helmet. NECA probably would've been wise to have included a stand in the box.

It's a nice shiny display figure for the price you're paying, but with all the issues I've noticed... probably not one of NECA's better 1/4 scale figures.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
DAT CASSHERN. HNNNNNNNNNNNNNG.

I mean, I want a line of Figma/Figuarts Tatsunoko characters, but that's seriously tempting.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Sentinel are basically larger high quality figure version of those two lines tbf.

Yeeeeah, but he's going to tower over my Figmas/Figuarts. He'll be a good inch taller than NECA Ryu!

Unless I start a Tatsunoko vs. Capcom scale...brain no what are you doing stahp

Preview: MAFEX No.005 MAFEX THE JOKER [MEDICOM TOY]
Hey there, Shizu Always-Root-For-the-Villain Mecha here. As a lover all bad dudes I've reviewed more than my fair share of villains for AmiAmi Blog. None, however, can quite match the vile, nasty, absolutely no-redeeming-quality charisma of today's figure....

MAFEX No.005 MAFEX THE JOKER [MEDICOM TOY]

It's not very often that I open a review with the package but here it's half the fun. In true Joker fashion he decided to hijack MAFEX Batman's package rather than get one of his own.

Note: I rewatched my DVD to prep myself for the review. No offense to the Joker but hot dang Commissioner Gordon is my kind of man!

DAT CASSHERN. HNNNNNNNNNNNNNG.

I mean, I want a line of Figma/Figuarts Tatsunoko characters, but that's seriously tempting.

Figma/Figuarts Tatsunoko is not going to happen at least who knows for how long, if you like Tatsunoko IPs this line by Sentinel is a god sent, trust me, the figures are incredibly well sculpted, Super posable and reasonable priced. They do go well next to Figmas, a liitle bit taller but they won't dwarf your Figmas.
I have the first release from this line (Hurricane Polymar) and the figure is amazing, it even lights up his chest (same as Casshern).

And yes dat Chassern looks superb, Ken the Eagle and Joe the Condor from Gatchaman are next!

Flintty

I don't think they've made anything. I suppose it's a leap of faith. I'm happy that it's officially licensed so that has to mean something but you never know. The proto looks ace.

Flintty

Nice! I'm not too keen on the expression though. Good news is that this proves that legal issues over his image aren't holding up the Hot Toys figure.

Drayco21

Caved and ended up picking up the Legends Hawkeye- I'll probably take some pictures later. Even with lowered expectations, I'm still pretty disappointed in him.

Rootbeer

Banned
Marvel Legends Spider-Man Build-a-Figure Hobgoblin wave is shipping from dorkside now, according to their most recent tweet. Mine says processing, but it's said that for weeks. Strangely they still aren't shipping the Avengers wave. My choice to order those from amazon instead seemingly paid off.

Caved and ended up picking up the Legends Hawkeye- I'll probably take some pictures later. Even with lowered expectations, I'm still pretty disappointed in him.

Shartimus seemed pretty happy with it. Even going so far as to say it's the best of the Marvel Legends Hawkeyes done so far. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeZB2qNzDEg

Main gripe is paint apps which are always going to be hit or miss on these mass produced figures at this price point. I very rarely get one that looks bad. Can't say the same for Ninja Turtles figures... the paint on those are atrocious. I'm way happier with Hasbro's offerings.

Anyone own the thundercats 2011 figures? Thought about maybe picking up the 6'' Panthro figure, and he seems to look good.

I have the Lion-O figure and I quite like it. The articulation's good and the paint application's nice, a few issues but none that are really noticeable without looking for them. My only real complaint would be the black pegs in the joints really look out of place. I'd recommend them to anyone interested in them.

Rootbeer

Banned
I have those Bandai Thundercats figures, yeah. Both the classic and the reboot figures. I really dug the rebooted series, wish it had taken off. Anyone interested in Thundercats should look into those.

Wanderer5

Ordered Panthro, I got my anthropomorphic figure need for now.:p I would have like Lion-O if the ''6 was exactly like the "4, cause his shouldpad and shoulders look a bit weird (his legs too actually).

Rootbeer

Banned
What's up with the participation levels of this thread? I guess it's gonna die hu?

I can't float this boat myself!

Anyway, cool new stuff. SHF.

You can still have nice things if you're not buying hot toys :3

z4AzBG5.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
Well, I've got the Iron Man pictured already coming my way... we'll see if I can get the whole lot. The Hulk and Cap look very good but I think i'm more excited about Thor, because I need a really good MCU Thor and this may just be what I've been waiting for.

Drayco21

I threatened you guys with more of my phone pictures for the Legends Hawkeye earlier this evening, and here I am:

Hawkeye is more or less the classic costume he's worn for most of his career as a superhero, but more specifically based on the version of it slightly modified from around the Heroic Age era, which really just means he has the one sleeve. Unfortunately, this is pretty much the last time we're ever going to get to see the real Hawkeye costume ever again; the movies have solidified his look as "generic black leather and sunglasses" as his "costume", and the comics have followed suite. Fortunately, we've gotten a figure of it before it's lost to the abyss of chasing the MCU forever, right alongside the Guardians of the Galaxy's proper characterizations and the real Nick Fury, but unfortunately, I feel pretty let down overall by it.

Hawkeye is built on the Bucky-Cap mold, which seems to be Hasbro's default male body these days. It's an okay, but not incredible buck- I've always felt like the legs on it felt fairly static, and never work all that well in dynamic posing. I don't know how to describe it really, because it has all the joints you would want..."loose" is the one that comes to mind, they just don't feel like they hold the figure up very well. They decided to replicate his costume's sleeve by throwing a Winter Soldier arm on there, which has the effect of...not looking anything like a sleeve, and making people wonder when Hawkeye got a robot arm. Plus, it inherits the Winter Soldier's slightly more limited arm movement and the ratcheting click with it. Like all uses of the Bucky Cap, they try to make the figure more like Clint by throwing additional pieces on him- in this case, he's got a an extra piece that covers his whole torso- it looks weird as a separate element, like it's not sized properly, being too small and short to really work, and it makes his ab-crunch nearly unusable. He obviously gets a new head, and I think that's a bit of a bummer too. It's accurate to the costume, but it suffers from Hasbro's desire to make every character have the most boring, neutral expression possible, which is inaccurate to the character. Hawkeye should have a wry, cocky grin, like he's about to make some arrogant or smartass quip or confident in his ability to pull an impossible shot. If you're going to have to sculpt a new head anyway, is it so difficult to put some actual character into it?

Another big point of disappointment for me is the bow. It's a solid chunk of purple plastic, including the bowstring, which really makes cool archery poses difficult. What good is an archer that can't draw a bow? While I'd love to have seen a wire or something that could really draw back, I think it would have been best to take the Marvel Universe route, and simply not have the bow include a bowstring, and include an arrow instead- that way you could at least fake it with the articulation. All in all, Hawkeye isn't a bad figure, but he is a disappointment- we're never going to see this costume again, much less in Legends form, and he'll look fine on my shelf surrounded by his fellow Avengers, but I can't help but feel like he could have been so much more.

Fortunately, he isn't the only figure I found this weekend. Sitting in the clearance area of local Walmart, I did a double-take to spot a pre-RoML Marvel figure I assumed I'd never find:

The Amazing Spider-Man's movie series Miles Morales figure! He was the first Miles figure, and still the only "Legends" one- though I suppose the Superhero Masher figure is technically in the same scale. I'm not a fan of Miles, at all, but I am building up my Spider-Family shelf, and for better or worse, he's one of the most prominent members of the Spider-Verse these days.

Unfortunately, he's not really a great figure either. He's built on the Tarantula body, so while he's shorter than everyone else, he's not "dude you're like 12" short like Miles should be, and he's way too buff. Being built on Tarantula means he also inherits the shit articulation of him- he's got the old ball-hinge joint hip, and on this particular figure, trying to get any movement from the hips stresses the plastic and only works on one of the legs- the other is clearly going to snap the leg right off before it actually moves- a Spider-Man with poor leg posability is a Spider-Man who's in for a bad time. He's also only got a swivel head, so he can't look up or down at anything. He came with a shield made out of webs for some reason, which clips fine to his arms, but it's going straight into the spare accessory bin- maybe I'll set up some cool display with everyone mid-combat and it'll look sweet there, but that is not this day.

Miles is out-of-scale, and under articulated, but he does still look really good just standing on the shelf in and of itself, and so he still looks great in the Spider-Family display. I may not like the character, but it's hard to deny the rush of finding something that I never should have seen in person, and for $11, how could I turn down an addition to the Spider Family? I mean, I paid twice that price for Toxin. This Miles is worth like 12 of those bummers.

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks for the pics... I almost bought a Miles yesterday... sigh, I held off on bidding and now I gotta track down another.

Finding him on clearance is one hell of a nice find. He's fairly in-demand even if he's not as good as some more recent Spideys.

Drayco21

Thanks for the pics... I almost bought a Miles yesterday... sigh, I held off on bidding and now I gotta track down another.

Finding him on clearance is one hell of a nice find. He's fairly in-demand even if he's not as good as some more recent Spideys.

Considering how much Marvel is pushing him, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see an Infinite series crack at him- if not next year, then surely in the inevitable 2017 Spider-Man movie wave. I usually see him jump up to around twice retail online, and now that I have one in-hand, I think I'd recommend playing the waiting game for a better Miles than to fight scalpers to get a good price on this one.

Hopefully the next time we see him, it'll be a whole new mold to actually look as young as Miles should. Something like a male equivalent to the Jubilee/Anya body.

I wish they had those Marvel Infinite figures more available in Australia. I'm probably just going to have to have to go ebay for them and pay overs.

Rootbeer

Banned
Oh i've no doubts that a new Miles figure should be coming soon. I was hoping it would be this year. Oh well.

Star Wars Black Series fans... the next wave is up for pre-order. And finally... it's a case assortment with ALL NEW figures. dorkside is offering free shipping on cases, as usual.

It may turn out to be a rather disappointing wave if early looks at the Emperor are anything to go by... but, people also freaked out about Yoda and Vader and I thought both turned out fine once I had them in my hands. I'm still exciteda bout the IG-88 and Leia Bounty Hunter figures coming in the next assortment more.

What's great about this wave is if you're army building storm troopers you can easily use the Han and Luke as just that. Just keep the helmets on and they mix right in. So they have a a nice dual purpose.

HASSW61031-2.jpg

http://www.dorksidetoys.com/Star-Wars-Six-Inch-Black-Series-Wave-8-Set-of-4-p/hassw61031.htm

Well, I've got the Iron Man pictured already coming my way... we'll see if I can get the whole lot. The Hulk and Cap look very good but I think i'm more excited about Thor, because I need a really good MCU Thor and this may just be what I've been waiting for.

Have you consider Thor Figma? actually I wanted to ask you, how these Figuarts Avengers compare to the Figma ones? I have the Avengers Figmas and it seems redundant to collect this line now since they look similarly priced but at the same time not as good as the Figma ones.

Some pix of the just released Toys R Us exclusive Marvel Minimates Wave 19.
The 2-packs are:
Vision/Quicksilver
Wolverine/Sentinel
Anti-Sinister Six Spider-Man/Mysterio
Iron Man/Ronan the Accuser

20150221_174150-1.jpg

20150221_172252-1.jpg

2015-02-21%2018.18.34.jpg

20150221_172911-1.jpg

20150221_175359-1.jpg

20150221_174810-1.jpg

2015-02-21%2018.13.41.jpg

2015-02-21%2018.12.36.jpg

Cptkrush

Been kicking around the idea of doing customs a lot lately. I used to sculpt up until a few years ago and I figure this will be the most fun way to ease back into it. I've been checking out tutorials on disassembly and painting and such, and it looks pretty straight forward.

I'm starting simple and predictably with Deadpool. I have all my materials coming in next week and I'm either going to order another Bucky Cap or use my Machine Man that I honestly don't like that much. Anyone else done customs before? Got any tips?

curb

Banned
Never in my life...

1606906_10155228738840302_2723466786390815192_n.jpg

I actually just saw some of those at the big Walmart in my town. I was really surprised considering how much I've heard about Legends usually being scarce in Canada. I keep thinking about getting that Scarlet Witch but I don't want my wife to wonder about a bunch of female figures on my desk.

Oh i've no doubts that a new Miles figure should be coming soon. I was hoping it would be this year. Oh well.

Star Wars Black Series fans... the next wave is up for pre-order. And finally... it's a case assortment with ALL NEW figures. dorkside is offering free shipping on cases, as usual.

It may turn out to be a rather disappointing wave if early looks at the Emperor are anything to go by... but, people also freaked out about Yoda and Vader and I thought both turned out fine once I had them in my hands. I'm still exciteda bout the IG-88 and Leia Bounty Hunter figures coming in the next assortment more.

What's great about this wave is if you're army building storm troopers you can easily use the Han and Luke as just that. Just keep the helmets on and they mix right in. So they have a a nice dual purpose.

HASSW61031-2.jpg

http://www.dorksidetoys.com/Star-Wars-Six-Inch-Black-Series-Wave-8-Set-of-4-p/hassw61031.htm

Don't they look a little funny with the helmets on? I heard they look like this

lC0gX9Ll.jpg

curb

Banned
I don't know anything about the Star Wars Black series figures. Are they solely based on movie characters or have they done anything from other things like the Clone Wars CG series?

I don't know anything about the Star Wars Black series figures. Are they solely based on movie characters or have they done anything from other things like the Clone Wars CG series?

Just the movies.

I made a custom Kyle Katarn out of the Han and the Obiwan.

I had to create a better cape for Vader, it drapes better and I found a more in scale chain for the neck. The shiny soft goods that Hasbro always use with their figures is so nasty. I imagine Palpatine will also need a massive overhaul.

j2G1F1N.jpg

The Han and Luke troopers disappoint me. They are of a height. I know they are just reusing moulds but it so lazy.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
What's up with the participation levels of this thread? I guess it's gonna die hu?

I can't float this boat myself!

Anyway, cool new stuff. SHF.

You can still have nice things if you're not buying hot toys :3

z4AzBG5.jpg

Hulk's going to be $80 like Broly isn't he? ;_;

Top Bottom