• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Wanderer5

Interesting, holding out for a re-release. If Link and Samus can get two then maybe they'll throw a bone.

Yeah maybe. Samus got a couple re-releases even through the last game was Other M, but that might be due to her being really popular. Not sure how well the pits fare, which would be a shame, cause least Pittoo (I going to guess Pit is awesome too since they are almost exactly the same :p) is pretty cool.

DSCN0672_zps28baeadc.jpg

darkpit_zpsed06479a.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
Love Dark Pit. :) I have him and normal Pit. Some of my favorite figma.

I wish they'd ramp up the Nintendo figma releases. Too few and far between.

They have a few coming this year... Lucina, Zero Suit Samus and ALBW Link.

I have the 4 they currently have released and love them though. Looking forward to the Konami Figmas this year as well.

Wanderer5

I have the 4 they currently have released and love them though. Looking forward to the Konami Figmas this year as well.

I wouldn't expect ZSS and LBW Link this year. Unpainted prototypes haven't even been shown yet.

Scavenger

Bad news for those who were looking forward to TMNT Classics Shredder and Krang:

The bad news is that within the mix, the Classics line did not perform to expectations. So for those of you hoping to expand beyond the Turtles, Rocksteady and Bebop, with the Shredder and Krang figures shown in prototype previously, you are out of luck. Classics is on hiatus for now, but could be revisited as the sequel to the TMNT reboot hits screens in 2016.

http://www.actionfigurepics.com/201...ymates-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-instapics

Can't say I'm surprised considering how Playmates mismanaged the line.

Is that to prevent paying any royalties, company -> "it doesn't look him tho".

Mattel got the rights to the whole gang. I can't see Diamond having an issue...

You'd think, if anything, the other busters would be the challenge. It's Ernie Hudson. He's game for anything.

I think it's just another case of him getting the short end of the stick.

curb

Banned
I bought a cheap stand on ebay for my Captain Marvel now that I finally got my desk at home organized. I really, really need to dust though.

img_20150216_114707.jpg

SmithnCo

I kinda wish some of the Nendos they announced were figmas but that's me being selfish, lol

I really want to see how ZSS and ALBW Link turn out.

Rootbeer

Banned
Playmates is stupid. The Classics figures they've been making have been huge successes and sell out everywhere. I'm lucky I was able to pre-order the Bebop and Rocksteady on toysrus.com when they first came out because it's been impossible to find them since.

The problem is not interest, the problem is Playmates.

Kinda like Nintendo and their amiibo. They simply don't understand the market demand for whatever reason, or are otherwise unable to fulfill it

hunchback

I don't care if the movie sucked. Love their designs and so glad NECA is finally making all 3

10978589_810893648986464_5578104874493579301_n.jpg

Wow, those look great. How is the quality of the figure compared to the Hot Toys line?
I finally let my Elder Predator out of the box to breathe. I'm blown away by the quality and detail. The face looks awesome. I will definitely be buying more Hot Toys in the future. They have a Boba Fett that looks really good.

Wow, those look great. How is the quality of the figure compared to the Hot Toys line?
I finally let my Elder Predator out of the box to breathe. I'm blown away by the quality and detail. The face looks awesome. I will definitely be buying more Hot Toys in the future. They have a Boba Fett that looks really good.

well these are sample models so the real ones will only be about 7 inches tall. Obviously they are no where near Hot Toys quality but they are pretty great for $20 toys. Bobba Fett looks amazing, wish he was 1/6 scale though since I do not collect 1/4 scale

well these are sample models so the real ones will only be about 7 inches tall. Obviously they are no where near Hot Toys quality but they are pretty great for $20 toys. Bobba Fett looks amazing, wish he was 1/6 scale though since I do not collect 1/4 scale
The Sideshow 1/6th Fett is a nice figure. It's the Empire version though, not the Jedi one like the 1/4th scale from Hot Toys. (I'm partial to the Empire one, personally).

I also have the RAH 1/6th scale Jedi version. Quality wise it pales in comparison to Sideshow's offering but its pretty nice overall. It was actually my first 1/6th scale figure years ago.:)

Both go for a decent premium now, though.

NateDog

Didn't know we were getting a Figma Zero Suit Samus, that should be good. Lucina looks great, her and Snake will be my first Figmas. I've seen Dark Pit on a website for a while, been tempted for a while.

Didn't know we were getting a Figma Zero Suit Samus, that should be good. Lucina looks great, her and Snake will be my first Figmas. I've seen Dark Pit on a website for a while, been tempted for a while.

Just remember that with Figmas you wait, an unpainted prototype might be seen in a toy expo only to disappear for more than a year until we see it again if anything.

hunchback

The Sideshow 1/6th Fett is a nice figure. It's the Empire version though, not the Jedi one like the 1/4th scale from Hot Toys. (I'm partial to the Empire one, personally).

I also have the RAH 1/6th scale Jedi version. Quality wise it pales in comparison to Sideshow's offering but its pretty nice overall. It was actually my first 1/6th scale figure years ago.:)

Both go for a decent premium now, though.

I was just looking and I noticed they had 2 1/6 figures. One there is a waiting list for and the other is 439.00. Crap, now I can't decide between the 1/4 or 1/6th one. I have some thinking to do.

3N16MA

Banned
No Hulkbuster or Ultron from Diamond Select (if you don't include the minimates). I think some of their figures have a better sculpt/paint than Marvel Legends figures but they sure are selective (no pun intended) with what they release.

LosDaddie

Banned
Went on Saturday to put $50 down on my HT AoU Capt America at my LCS. Just had to secure my figure, and I don't mind paying a few extra $$ to support a local business.

Seeing how the Capt doesn't release until Sept., that means I can pay $20-$30 each paycheck and have him paid off before then.....and most importantly, without the wife noticing. :)

dankir

Went on Saturday to put $50 down on my HT AoU Capt America at my LCS. Just had to secure my figure, and I don't mind paying a few extra $$ to support a local business.

Seeing how the Capt doesn't release until Sept., that means I can pay $20-$30 each paycheck and have him paid off before then.....and most importantly, without the wife noticing. :)

One thing with Hot Toys that release dates are conceptual fantasies lol. I've been collecting them since 2008 and not a single toy has ever released on time. so it's safe to you'll have more time than that. Although the Cap figure isn't changing that much from previous cap figures asides from the costume. So that might lead to him release on time or even earlier a la Gamora.

Don't take anything date as set in stone, they almost always change. I'm getting Igor next month and he was supposed to come out Feb 2014 :)

Snaku

Banned
Just placed my first Hot Toy order in at Sideshow. Ended up settling on The Mandarin as my first, for obvious reasons. Never collected sixth scale figures before, and I hope I enjoy him. Used that welcome coupon and got him for $183 with free shipping, I think that's a pretty good deal. Now the long 3 month wait begins. At least I'll have something to look forward to at the end of the semester.

dankir

Just placed my first Hot Toy order in at Sideshow. Ended up settling on The Mandarin as my first, for obvious reasons. Never collected sixth scale figures before, and I hope I enjoy him. Used that welcome coupon and got him for $183 with free shipping, I think that's a pretty good deal. Now the long 3 month wait begins. At least I'll have something to look forward to at the end of the semester.

Why 3 month wait?

No Hulkbuster or Ultron from Diamond Select (if you don't include the minimates). I think some of their figures have a better sculpt/paint than Marvel Legends figures but they sure are selective (no pun intended) with what they release.

If I understand it correctly, Diamond Select's license with Marvel only allows them to produce X amount of Marvel Select figures per year, so they really have to plan out accordingly, make sure they have the appropriate reference material for movie based figures, and ensure the figure is cost effective to produce since it takes up one of the available slots.

That's great, if there was a shop like that in Montreal I'd do the same, would pay him monthly in cash, no paper trail, no wife noticing
But She's going to start asking about those Sideshow's monthly payments for sure... I going with : "You know I have a condition!" hope it works, these will be my first HT, dat Cap can't come soon enough.

dankir

That's great, if there was a shop like that in Montreal I'd do the same, would pay him monthly in cash, no paper trail, no wife noticing
But She's going to start asking about those Sideshow's monthly payments for sure... I going with : "You know I have a condition!" hope it works, these will be my first HT, dat Cap can't come soon enough.

Boulevard Des Jouets? Or that other place I forgot the name but its pretty pricey.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes

LOL can't ya just tell her the truth, or would she go through the roof knowing your spending that much on a figure?

dankir

Wait, are you in Montreal? Cause I am visiting you to play with your figures wheter you like it or not!
Seriously tough, do they have payment plans?

Yeah I live in St-Hubert I've been there once to get the titan class Metroplex they are more expensive than more online retailers plus you have to pay GST and shit.

I mean right now with the currecy exchange rate the absolute cheapest way to get a Hot Toys ( at least the ones I want ) is via Buy it now from sellers in China in Hong Kong. I've been on eBay since 2001 and have never paid duties on anything from Asia ever. Loontentoys is a really good asian Hot Toys seller.

Example, Hot Toys Igor cheapest I can find now is 484 USD = 590 Canadian and free shipping.

Boulevard Des Jouets has him for 664 + Taxes. I really hate this Pitney Bowes shipping service for American sellers too, fuck paying customs ahead of time. I might get duties on eBay purchases 30 - 40% of the time.

LOL can't ya just tell her the truth, or would she go through the roof knowing your spending that much on a figure?

Pretty much, she just lacks the geek/Sci-Fi/collector vein, she is amazing and we have tons of stuff in common but the nerdy stuff is definitely not one of them, she respects my hobbies but for her they are glorified and overpriced toys, if I can spare her the shock of seeing how much I have spent on a HT Cap I'll do it.

Yeah I live in St-Hubert I've been there once to get the titan class Metroplex they are more expensive than more online retailers plus you have to pay GST and shit.

I mean right now with the currecy exchange rate the absolute cheapest way to get a Hot Toys ( at least the ones I want ) is via Buy it now from sellers in China in Hong Kong. I've been on eBay since 2001 and have never paid duties on anything from Asia ever. Loontentoys is a really good asian Hot Toys seller.

Example, Hot Toys Igor cheapest I can find now is 484 USD = 590 Canadian and free shipping.

Boulevard Des Jouets has him for 664 + Taxes. I really hate this Pitney Bowes shipping service for American sellers too, fuck paying customs ahead of time. I might get duties on eBay purchases 30 - 40% of the time.

So not really worthy going to those shops as I guessed, sadly I can't see these types of business thriving when everything can be bought from Japan/Asia at a cheaper price.
If there anything these business can do to stay competitive? Who's going to pay 100$+ mark up for the sake of it?

dankir

Pretty much, she just lacks the geek/Sci-Fi/collector vein, she is amazing and we have tons of stuff in common but the nerdy stuff is definitely not one of them, she respects my hobbies but for her they are glorified and overpriced toys, if I can spare her the shock of seeing how much I have spent on a HT Cap I'll do it.

So not really worthy going to those shops as I guessed, sadly I can't see these types of business thriving when everything can be bought from Japan/Asia at a cheaper price.
If there anything these business can do to stay competitive? Who's going to pay 100$+ mark up for the sake of it?

People who are afraid to order from Asia I guess, I just emailed the Blvd des jouet guy and I guess he looked me up on facebook. I know one of his friends so instead of 764.34 which is what they want for Igor (with taxes) he'll give it to me 700 flat.

Vs the 484 USD I can get it from Asia and usually EMS is fast as fuck. So yeah eBay is the way to go right now. Canadian stores can't be that competitive unfortunately.

Einbroch

Banned
Cross-post.

Just opened her up. Couldn't resist.

I love her! Parfoms are AWESOME! They're like the perfect scale between Nendo and Figma. Super posable, super cute, super super. I really hope they continue the line. I know we saw a few at WonFes, I want more!

Cross-post.

Just opened her up. Couldn't resist.

I love her! Parfoms are AWESOME! They're like the perfect scale between Nendo and Figma. Super posable, super cute, super super. I really hope they continue the line. I know we saw a few at WonFes, I want more!

Looks amazing congratz, I'll keep an eye on that line, they are cheaper than Figma so the potential is there

Top Bottom