• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I just saw a new Black Series figure for the first time since last November.
It was 40th anniversary Vader.
$40 for Black Series?
Go home, Hasbro. You're drunk.

I just saw a new Black Series figure for the first time since last November.
It was 40th anniversary Vader.
$40 for Black Series?
Go home, Hasbro. You're drunk.

It comes with a stand based on the original mail away set from 1977 hence the extra $20. I see these getting discounted in the future.

Speaking of discounts, found a Sailor Moon Figuarts half off at Barnes and Noble. With my membership and a coupon it was $16.

Sideshow emailed me that my last HT (Yoda) for awhile, will be shipped on the 16th. This will be the first time my account has no preorders in 2 years.

PS. Shipping is $20 now!!!!!!

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
My "vacation" is over woo! Best figure I got during my time away? Either the new MP Megs or the new Marvel Legends Moon Knight (RIP Diggle). Still trying to get a HT War Machine Mark III preorder in somewhere but I'm thinking I waited to late ugh.

why would you post my sorrows for all to see after coming back from the dead

I've been wanting a 6" Moon Knight forever since he's one of my faves next to Ghost Rider, and all of us in the LINE group were able to get in on the second time they were put on up Amazon. I opened mine to take some of my usual pics.

lwItipt.jpg
LXhDTA5.jpg
fy3wWOo.jpg

Then his arm fell off.

Apparently this is an issue with certain molds, and Haloid's seemed a bit loose as well, but mine's arm literally just fell off without any pressure put on it. I don't know if I should just return it to Amazon now or hold off until I manage to actually get another one

It had to happen with Moon Knight. Moon Knight. MOON KNIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT

my tears

I've been wanting a 6" Moon Knight forever since he's one of my faves next to Ghost Rider, and all of us in the LINE group were able to get in on the second time they were put on up Amazon. I opened mine to take some of my usual pics.

Then his arm fell off.

This also had a tendency to happen with the older Play Arts figures that Square put out. I guess it could be considered an action...

RIP.

Happened to Sideshow Catwoman. Then it happened to DC Collectibles n52 Darkseid. Both sinking feelings.

Speaking of Darkseid, I kind of wish I bought that Darkseid Premium Format. But $600, woof.

Replicant

I just committed myself to buying GOTG2'S Starlord Deluxe Edition.

WHYYYY?! He looks similar to the first one and his outfit isn't as cool.

I think it's the little moments of insanity that figure collectors seem to be afflicted with when they see hot new figures.

*sigh* I guess it's insta noodles for dinner in the next two weeks for me

I just committed myself to buying GOTG2'S Starlord Deluxe Edition.

WHYYYY?! He looks similar to the first one and his outfit isn't as cool.

I think it's the little moments of insanity that figure collectors seem to be afflicted with when they see hot new figures.

*sigh* I guess it's insta noodles for dinner in the next two weeks for me

Imagine how much Sideshow makes just on NRD's alone.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
My Chewbacca shipped.

- J - D -

why would you post my sorrows for all to see after coming back from the dead

Then his arm fell off.

Apparently this is an issue with certain molds, and Haloid's seemed a bit loose as well, but mine's arm literally just fell off without any pressure put on it. I don't know if I should just return it to Amazon now or hold off until I manage to actually get another one

It had to happen with Moon Knight. Moon Knight. MOON KNIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT

my tears

Return to Amazon. They're pretty lenient about returns.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Return to Amazon. They're pretty lenient about returns.

Yeah, but since they took the listing down I can't exactly exchange it for a new one yet! I'll be Moon Knight-less!

already in the process of returning RIP I've been Mooned

Is this like a re-release or totally new version with better articulation etc? how good are they for anatomy/pose reference for drawing?

Pretty sure it is slightly different joints and different accessories (old DX had katana + gun, new has sword+shield). I think they did a black colour of the old DX (definitely non DX at least) so maybe they'll do a black version of this one too?

Yeah, but since they took the listing down I can't exactly exchange it for a new one yet! I'll be Moon Knight-less!

already in the process of returning RIP I've been Mooned

You can submit a case online to Hasbro and they will do their best to replace your figure. If they don't have one they'll ship another random from the wave.

bengraven

If you like your hulks big, I'd look for one of the Marvel Select Hulks. The AOU one could pass for comic, but there is a Marc Silvestri style one and an old school Savage Hulk that are particular comic specific looks (articulation is not great on those two however).

Figma Hulk is pretty popular too and is probably same scale as ML.

Comic black widow is a tough one. I'm not 100% sure one exists in ML scale, unless there is a toy biz ML Black Widow figure out there. Marvel select black widow is probably too big, but it does come with a shrunken comic ant man.

Edit: there is ML series 8 black widow and a Hasbro ML one too from like 5 or 6 years ago.

IMO the Hasbro is better.

Awesome, good place to start.

hey actionGAF collectors,
i recently started a project wrapping my collection boxes. as many of you who have a huge collections and limited space discovered, when you stack boxes some of the sides to the boxes begin to bow under pressure.
so i picked up some cellophane, the same material that mandarake uses to maintain the integrity of their boxes when they stack them in the store:
Tak8hFul.jpg

i'm cutting thin strips to bandage around each box to act as a brace like mandarake does:
HXEhjRpl.png

for boxes really warped or out of shape, i'll wrap the entire box.
here's some pics show the difference between a box in bad shape box unwrapped vs. a box fully wrapped:
aEWSa8ml.png

8BnyN4Fl.png

eaUbhwpl.png

3OtfmE5l.png

i thought this may help some of you who have limited space in a small apartment and forced to stack heavy expensive collectibles boxes on top of each other.

NEO0MJ

hey actionGAF collectors,
i recently started a project wrapping my collection boxes. as many of you who have a huge collections and limited space discovered, when you stack boxes some of the sides to the boxes begin to bow under pressure.
so i picked up some cellophane, the same material that mandarake uses to maintain the integrity of their boxes when they stack them in the store:
Tak8hFul.jpg

That pole...are you perhaps an entertainer?

Just messing with you ;)

^Hold on a sec, you have extra NES Classic controllers?! David pls
nah, that's photoshopped.
*hides the grandkids college fund*

That pole...are you perhaps an entertainer?

Just messing with you ;)
no really, i spin on that thing nightly =)
David's house looks like a toy store.
oh man, i know you have more stuff than me being a hottoys misb collector. i wanted your rex but there's no place to put it as you can see.
I used to keep boxes, then realized how pointless it was. I guess if I could see if I wanted to sell them, but I never have
i have to keep boxes. living in this finite space, i have to constantly move stuff out as new stuff comes in. i just got back onto Macross World and sold 2 valks and an armor attachment for 1k in 2 days!!! (damn ppl are thirsty for those things) without the boxes, i wouldn't be able to get max value. i needed that 1k for april's massive shipment of stuff: 2x MP-36's, 2x F91's, and the reprints of MP soundwave starscream and the cassettes.
plus shipping charges.

July/August is going to be brutal months for pre-orders =P

I have to admit, since my figures are made of PVC I don't run into the issue David described. My stuff all stacks just fine. I usually put the boxes inside some of those massive AmiAmi boxes that I've saved over the years, though. They're great for storage.

At some point you just need to say goodbye to the boxes/packaging for stuff or it'll overtake your place.

To be fair, I'm fortunate enough to have a garage and I do tend to keep boxes for my Japanese stuff vs the american stuff (Hasbro's Black Series, Marvel Legends, etc).

Artanisix

I absolutely keep the boxes for my 1/4 scale statues. There is no way in hell I'd try to move these without taking them apart and placing them back into the box.

LiK

To be clear, I wasn't making any judgemental comments about David. I'm a collector myself. Just a thought every time I see pics of his massive boxed collection. ;)

grendelrt

Anybody order from http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/ ? AmiAmi is out of the Figma Iron Fossil and they have them up for pre order. Any experience with them, hows their shipping and fees to USA?

Does AmiAmi ever reopen preorders, thats where I have bought most of my stuff up to this point.

Anybody order from http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/ ? AmiAmi is out of the Figma Iron Fossil and they have them up for pre order. Any experience with them, hows their shipping and fees to USA?

Does AmiAmi ever reopen preorders, thats where I have bought most of my stuff up to this point.

I use Hobbysearch all the time. Shipping is usually a bit cheaper than Ami, too. AmiAmi sometimes gets restocks or will open up orders again after there are some cancellations or non-paid orders, but I wouldn't rely on it, as it's completely random.

SeanC

I've decided to let my AmiAmi pre-order for Chewie not go through. Love AmiAmi but I feel I can get him cheaper once he's released (like Han at the moment, where it's cheaper now than my preorder was).

Plus I'm not desperate for a good Chewie figure like I was a Han figure.

^ yeah hobby search has great customer service.
Thanks for the tips, David! Can I come live in your fortress made of toy boxes?
anytime! bring some boxes to be reinforced =)
I have to admit, since my figures are made of PVC I don't run into the issue David described. My stuff all stacks just fine. I usually put the boxes inside some of those massive AmiAmi boxes that I've saved over the years, though. They're great for storage.
i actually do what you do for most of my storage stuff =), but the upper part of my closet is narrow and i can't fit any bin or box up there. the opening is small so i have to slide in each valk one at a time and stack them.
lhjbcnkm.jpg
jSlyndlm.jpg
0Y3Wamnm.jpg

At some point you just need to say goodbye to the boxes/packaging for stuff or it'll overtake your place.
To be fair, I'm fortunate enough to have a garage and I do tend to keep boxes for my Japanese stuff vs the american stuff (Hasbro's Black Series, Marvel Legends, etc).
oh man, i wish i could... yeah the Japanese stuff like those brown tan VF-1J valks in the wrapped comparison pictures above are worth 400-450 boxed at the moment.
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u141881709
and those VF-1D virgin roads are even higher (they were all $75-130 a piece), i wish i can just chuck out the boxes but those values make it really hard.
I absolutely keep the boxes for my 1/4 scale statues. There is no way in hell I'd try to move these without taking them apart and placing them back into the box.
wrap some boxes! it's pretty fun =)
To be clear, I wasn't making any judgemental comments about David. I'm a collector myself. Just a thought every time I see pics of his massive boxed collection. ;)
oh i knew you were kidding =) i'd love to see group photos of your boxes.

haha, after i started a thread about it on MW and posted it on tfw2005, i got a couple people to join in heheheh.

i have to keep boxes. living in this finite space, i have to constantly move stuff out as new stuff comes in. i just got back onto Macross World and sold 2 valks and an armor attachment for 1k in 2 days!!! (damn ppl are thirsty for those things) without the boxes, i wouldn't be able to get max value. i needed that 1k for april's massive shipment of stuff: 2x MP-36's, 2x F91's, and the reprints of MP soundwave starscream and the cassettes.
plus shipping charges.

Yeah, I would keep boxes too if I had to get rid of them. I got to the point where I had so many and I never sold anything. It was hard crushing all those boxes rofl

Yeah, I would keep boxes too if I had to get rid of them. I got to the point where I had so many and I never sold anything. It was hard crushing all those boxes rofl
reminds me of home.. all my stuff gets thrown out at my parents place. my mom just chucks everything out so i leave all my stuff in my apartment.

TAJ

reminds me of home.. all my stuff gets thrown out at my parents place. my mom just chucks everything out so i leave all my stuff in my apartment.

Throw all of her shoes in the garbage.

Throw all of her shoes in the garbage.
Lol

last update on these:
did a few more boxes tonight
the newer style vf-1 boxes that do not have lids don't need as much strips to wrap as you don't have to worry about keeping lids unwarped.
nxg6TBIm.jpg

on the cav's box(top blue), it's be laying flat for a while and you can see the bends on the side flats. so i'm going to add minimal reinforcement there:

Boxes are part of it for me. Hell, I get upset if a limited SHFiguarts ships without its brown box and that's literally just this:

I don't sell (often) so it has been adding up. I think I'll just sell the figure rather than part with its box. All or nothing is my way of life!

Top Bottom