• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Some new arrivals came in over the past week. Up first, is the Monsterarts Super Mechagodzilla.

hiI7aFO.jpg

EKPlbgj.jpg

HvzWTiw.jpg

1GciS9c.jpg

Really nice figure. Definitely captures the classic Mechagodzilla design. He is a bit plain looking, but that's the design. Not much you can do about that. The extra pieces, such as the Garuda and the stomach cannon add a lot to him. Just a really cool figure. With the upcoming poser version, I was afraid I might be disappointed with this guy. But I'm not. At the end of the day, this is the Mechagodzilla I love from the old movies, delivered about as faithfully as you could ever ask. I think I'm more than content with this guy on my shelf.

After a lot of over-thinking things, I finally took the dive and jumped back into GI Joe. I found myself watching Youtube reviews and visiting GI Joe sites over and over. I figured it was finally time I gave in. I came up with a list of about 2 dozen figures I want, and then I'll be done with it. Just enough for a really cool looking display on top of a CD case. I decided to go with a mixture of anniversary figures and POC figures. Just get what I feel like are the coolest looking versions of my favorite characters. The first batch are Snake-Eyes, Storm Shadow, Spirit and Zartan.

Just all classic, favorite characters. The articulation and engineering on these guys is just so far ahead of the vintage figures. It's unbelievable how much articulation and detail Hasbro was able to get into these guys. Spirit is the only updated look I went for, and he has me excited for the Pursuit of Cobra figures I want. Shame this line is pretty much dead. But at least it makes it easy to jump in, grab what I want, and be done with it.

I'm all in on Monsterarts, guys. I'm contemplating how much I'll hate myself for paying scalper prices for Biollante and King Kong.

I'd wait on Biollante. With the way they're doing re-issues, I wouldn't be surprised to see a special color version of him. King Kong, however, I'm pretty sure was a one time deal. I've tried to grab him, but bailed when the auction got up to $200. I hate myself enough already, thank you very much.

- J - D -

hlj 20th anniv 2nd week sale just begun,
there's some monster arts in there.

all sale items for June 5th:
http://hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?SaleGroup=HLJ20ANNIVERSARYJUN5

Thanks for the heads up, David!

I'd wait on Biollante. With the way they're doing re-issues, I wouldn't be surprised to see a special color version of him. King Kong, however, I'm pretty sure was a one time deal. I've tried to grab him, but bailed when the auction got up to $200. I hate myself enough already, thank you very much.

Yeah I'm holding out on both. I'm hoping they'll do a Kong from Skull Island or the upcoming Godzilla vs Kong movie.

Some new arrivals came in over the past week. Up first, is the Monsterarts Super Mechagodzilla.

Really nice figure. Definitely captures the classic Mechagodzilla design. He is a bit plain looking, but that's the design. Not much you can do about that. The extra pieces, such as the Garuda and the stomach cannon add a lot to him. Just a really cool figure. With the upcoming poser version, I was afraid I might be disappointed with this guy. But I'm not. At the end of the day, this is the Mechagodzilla I love from the old movies, delivered about as faithfully as you could ever ask. I think I'm more than content with this guy on my shelf.

Mechagodzilla looks pretty great. I'm glad they re-released him and paired him up with Garuda this time, though you lose out on the beam effect part from the 1st release which is kind of a bummer.

It's a tossup between this or Destoroyah for my next Monsterarts. I'm leaning towards Destoroyah, but I'd like a mecha figure for my godzillas to pair up with so I don't have to keep relying on good ol' Gundam rx78 here:

Sf1wEvL.jpg

Godzilla 2000, my 2nd monsterarts, who I think I like even more than 95 Goji.
HRfJdGX.jpg

But I still really like 95 Goji:
52vnwfe.jpg

Deadshot looks pretty good for a SS figure.

Should have Mezco Punisher by the end of the week. With the eBay coupon yesterday it was the cheapest complete one on eBay so I can't complain too much except for the fact I really need to stop canceling fucking Mezco figures because I had to pay double for my Batman too.

Venture

After a lot of over-thinking things, I finally took the dive and jumped back into GI Joe. I found myself watching Youtube reviews and visiting GI Joe sites over and over. I figured it was finally time I gave in. I came up with a list of about 2 dozen figures I want, and then I'll be done with it. Just enough for a really cool looking display on top of a CD case. I decided to go with a mixture of anniversary figures and POC figures. Just get what I feel like are the coolest looking versions of my favorite characters. The first batch are Snake-Eyes, Storm Shadow, Spirit and Zartan.

Just all classic, favorite characters. The articulation and engineering on these guys is just so far ahead of the vintage figures. It's unbelievable how much articulation and detail Hasbro was able to get into these guys. Spirit is the only updated look I went for, and he has me excited for the Pursuit of Cobra figures I want. Shame this line is pretty much dead. But at least it makes it easy to jump in, grab what I want, and be done with it.
Wow, these bring back some memories. They look amazing. I don't guess Zartan changes color like the old figure does he?

KingV

dh4niel

I really want to own a Hot Toys figure at some point but they seem really weird to me. Like owning a Barbie as a grown man.

NEO0MJ

I'm not surprised at all that King Kong is hard to find considering he's licensed from a western company.
Monster Arts King Ghidora was the closest I ever got to ordering a premium meatbag figure, but I resisted. The whole problem with the wings made it easier to avoid, too.

Wow, these bring back some memories. They look amazing. I don't guess Zartan changes color like the old figure does he?

Unfortunately he does not. He did come with a swamp skier, though. It's just ridiculously tiny for the figure to ride.

Holy!?! Monster arts go up like macross valks =0 thanks! JD

Biollante was $200. He now commands $650+ in the after market.

I'm not surprised at all that King Kong is hard to find considering he's licensed from a western company.
Monster Arts King Ghidora was the closest I ever got to ordering a premium meatbag figure, but I resisted. The whole problem with the wings made it easier to avoid, too.

They fixed the wings with the recent reissue.

How the fuck am I even supposed to transport a statue somewhere fucking hell. Want to put this McQuarrie Vader statue in my office and holy hell I dunno what to do. So fragile.

LiK

How the fuck am I even supposed to transport a statue somewhere fucking hell. Want to put this McQuarrie Vader statue in my office and holy hell I dunno what to do. So fragile.

I fear moving cuz I tossed packing material for pretty much all my statues. Don't have space for that shit lol

Next week is Joe con, hopefully we will learn if we are getting any new releases this year. People expected the line to end last year but Hasbro surprised us at Joe Con and announced a new wave of figures including 4 all new figure/character releases that we got last fall.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
David, I know you're a master importer and that you build models occasionally. You know some Japanese hobby shops that ship paint to the US?
I just discovered the Japanese MSRP of Mr. Color lacquers (only 160 yen!) and I'm freaking out.

NEO0MJ

They fixed the wings with the recent reissue.

Well... Still not buying! My wallet can't take me opening that gate.

David, I know you're a master importer and that you build models occasionally. You know some Japanese hobby shops that ship paint to the US?
I just discovered the Japanese MSRP of Mr. Color lacquers (only 160 yen!) and I'm freaking out.

I thought shipping paint bottles internationally is a no go? At least that's how it is where I live. If you try to get paint shipped customs confiscate it.

Artanisix

if you still have original box packaging then that's the way to go

idk how that item was originally packaged though

if you still have original box packaging then that's the way to go

idk how that item was originally packaged though

Issue is the cape is so fragile I don't trust repackaging it. So I just broke the statue back down into its original separate pieces and it survived the trip. Now I would post pictures of it set up in my office because it's badass but I'm on the dev beta for iOS 11 and the new photo file type they're using isn't supported anywhere yet.

LiK

Issue is the cape is so fragile I don't trust repackaging it. So I just broke the statue back down into its original separate pieces and it survived the trip. Now I would post pictures of it set up in my office because it's badass but I'm on the dev beta for iOS 11 and the new photo file type they're using isn't supported anywhere yet.

That must be some office display.

That must be some office display.

I try not to bring collectibles into my office but figured a nice statue is an exception. Totally don't have Star Wars movie posters on the walls or anything...

If people can litter their offices with sports memorabilia then I can do Star Wars.

technically it's prohibited and only a proxy will do it but they will tell you its at your own risk. i''ve had a friend who done it for an expensive special paint set for the Yamato Macross SDF-1 but he was nervous throughout the process.

NEO0MJ

Pics please, Haloid.

Speaking of statues, I hope I didn't damage my Artorias when I put it back in the box when I first opened it and looked at it.

I would get the Boba Fett since you already have the Vader. They're all nice, though.

Where would I put it though? Plus it’s a statue bleh like this Vader is cool but what do I do with it? It’s like the exact opposite of the Mezco Punisher I’m getting where there’s too much to do with it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
technically it's prohibited and only a proxy will do it but they will tell you its at your own risk. i''ve had a friend who done it for an expensive special paint set for the Yamato Macross SDF-1 but he was nervous throughout the process.

Thanks.
That's disappointing. I'm assuming that doesn't apply to sea freight but I'm pretty sure I'll never need enough to make $1,300 freight cost and driving up to Long Beach harbor worthwhile.

Top Bottom