• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

yami4ct

While there were some people that don't like action figures because of joints, there were plenty of people who love figmas (including of western properties), Hot Toys, Nendoroids, Transformers, S.H. Figuarts, and other action figures that you also find here - sometimes to the exclusion of scale figures. There were both positive and negative opinions towards jointed figures (and really, most figures anyone would post about). Some brands do better at concealing the joints than others. Don't you think it should be ok for people to point out that they like the way one company does it vs another, or calling out figures that have particularly egregiously bad joints (Play Arts Kai knees are hideous, dear god, but I own several of them anyway) or other aspects they don't like?

Speaking of joint quality, can we talk about how good the modern Figuarts body is? It's so good. The jointing is just about perfect. The only real issue I have with it is the hip/thigh connection, but I don't really see how that can be fixed given the form fitting nature of KR suits.

4-1.jpg

Having Drive in hand and he's easily the best ~$40 action figure I've ever owned, despite the lack of accessories. The paint is near automobile quality finish. It's stunning.

Giolon

Speaking of joint quality, can we talk about how good the modern Figuarts body is? It's so good. The jointing is just about perfect. The only real issue I have with it is the hip/thigh connection, but I don't really see how that can be fixed given the form fitting nature of KR suits.

Having Drive in hand and he's easily the best ~$40 action figure I've ever owned, despite the lack of accessories. The paint is near automobile quality finish. It's stunning.

They have gotten really good, giving figmas a run for their money, and it's been fun to see their quality improve over the last couple years. My only gripe with them is that on some figures, like P4A Elizabeth, the connections into parts like the hands are so small and tiny that I live in utter fear of breaking them when swapping the parts out.

Don't you think it should be ok for people to point out that they like the way one company does it vs another, or calling out figures that have particularly egregiously bad joints (Play Arts Kai knees are hideous, dear god, but I own several of them anyway) or other aspects they don't like?
It all depends on how you go about it. It's no secret that a lot Figure GAF didn't like PAK, and yet you'd usually see someone posting an image of a newly announced figure with nothing to say except that it's awful. What kind of discussion does that promote? It fosters a toxic environment and devolves into a snobby circlejerk about how awful PAK is (even though they've gotten a lot better, but you never see that getting discussed).

I haven't been active in FigureGAF since the first OT, so don't take what I say as an empirical judgment but merely my own personal experiences. I also occasionally popped in to OT2 and OT3 and saw that very little had changed. Even the last time I posted in an OT to discuss a figure I was excited about was used as a launchpad to shit on a PAK figure when it had no relevance whatsover. If things had changed in OT4 and 5, then that's really great, but it was too little too late for me, and doesn't change the fact that the majority of the content posted in those threads had no interest to a large population of posters.

yami4ct

They have gotten really good, giving figmas a run for their money, and it's been fun to see their quality improve over the last couple years. My only gripe with them is that on some figures, like P4A Elizabeth, the connections into parts like the hands are so small and tiny that I live in utter fear of breaking them when swapping the parts out.

That's always been an issue. I've never broke one, but it's always seemed like I could. They loosen up after a couple gos, but they are always scary at first. I heard that with the Renewal Kabuto, Bandai tried a peg and slot system, but I heard nothing but bad things about it.

kewlmyc

My only problem with P4A Elizabeth was that she didn't come with a stand. Is that normal for Figurarts?

It all depends on how you go about it. It's no secret that a lot Figure GAF didn't like PAK, and yet you'd usually see someone posting an image of a newly announced figure with nothing to say except that it's awful. What kind of discussion does that promote? It fosters a toxic environment and devolves into a snobby circlejerk about how awful PAK is (even though they've gotten a lot better, but you never see that getting discussed).

I haven't been active in FigureGAF since the first OT, so don't take what I say as an empirical judgment but merely my own personal experiences. I also occasionally popped in to OT2 and OT3 and saw that very little had changed. Even the last time I posted in an OT to discuss a figure I was excited about was used as a launchpad to shit on a PAK figure when it had no relevance whatsover. If things had changed in OT4 and 5, then that's really great, but it was too little too late for me, and doesn't change the fact that the majority of the content posted in those threads had no interest to a large population of posters.

Sorry your experience with FigureGAF was so negative. I though we were fair and unbias to all figures, but I guess not.

yami4ct

My only problem with P4A Elizabeth was that she didn't come with a stand. Is that normal for Figurarts?

It depends. If a character is known for flying, like the Tiger and Bunny Sky High figure, or they are an extremely heavy figure, the stand is included. It's often included in first run bonuses or accessory sets. Otherwise, it's an optional extra buy.

I hate the figuarts stand anyway. The little plastic arms that hold the figure break down under the figure's weight after like a year and it falls to pieces. I have no clue why bandai has let this go. There model stands are great, so it's not they can't make good stands.

Well I still have a iron ma- er woman, sorta.:p Link nendoroid might be my favorite figure at the moment, but Samus figma comes in very close second. I reminded of that once again when I tested my tablet camera on her a bit.

Too bad her hip joints are a bit annoying to move around, but otherwise man they did such a wonderful job with her.

Do the legs on yours fall off easily? I can't pose mine without them falling off a few times. It's a bit of a pain.

Giolon

Yeah if I move the them greatly. I tried to do a kneel pose once, and the left leg popped out like a couple times before I had the pose set.

Something like this is one hell of a pose to pull off I sure lol.

I did this pose, and left her that way for a few weeks, and it basically permanently deformed the soft plastic material around her hips. :(

Replicant

Do the legs on yours fall off easily? I can't pose mine without them falling off a few times. It's a bit of a pain.

Most Nendoroids have issues of parts falling off easily if you take out the default one and replace them with the replacement joints. It's annoying frankly and that's why once I have one pose that I'm happy with, I leave it at that and not touching them again. They are too fragile for their own good. I once decapitated Ryuk's head by accident when I tried to put in the arm that holds the Apple.

EDIT: I just got charge notification for Aou Captain America. I guess they're shipping soon.

Wanderer5

Not much issues with Red, Link, and Kaga nendoroid so far outside of Red's backpack, and Kaga's quiver that has a hole a bit too small to attached to the ball joint on her back where it supposed to connect to.<.<

Wubby

I guess the one question I want to ask here right now is who in this thread collects or likes Kamen Rider, Gundam or Transformers? I just like to get to know the other community members into the stuff I like.

Gundam has it's own thread here. Even though they are articulated figures I only post them over there.

dankir

My plan to turn this into a Hot Toys thread is coming along nicely.

Hot Toys Batman Arkham City figure on display at Secret Base.

edit: He's been released in HK!

11018101_837067769710793_306578393784169496_n.jpg

10956982_837067703044133_1329849417839691875_n.jpg

20026_837067719710798_6466017079471976307_n.jpg

Wanderer5

Lol that expression doesn't quite transfer as well on the figure it seems.:p

Kind of doubt I will go through with it, but the upcoming figurearts of Cap looks pretty sweet.

Probably be better than the figma, which seem to had gotten the short end of the stick. Now it seems like it is Thor turn heh.

Lol that expression doesn't quite transfer as well on the figure it seems.:p

Kind of doubt I will go through with it, but the upcoming figurearts of Cap looks pretty sweet.

Probably be better than the figma, which seem to had gotten the short end of the stick. Now it seems like it is Thor turn heh.
Those are really bad photos, check out the blogger photos on Hot Toys' Facebook page, the sculpt turned out great. Looks ripped straight from the game.

As for Cap, Figma tried to do the impossible, make the Avengers costume look good. Commendable, but futile. :(

Replicant

I thought both figma and SH Figuarts did a good job replicating the costume. What they utterly fail is in replicating Evans' face. Of course I'm not expecting Hot Toys' calibre sculpting. But I don't want him to look butterface either. :/

Seeing released photos of Arkham Bats has me finally convinced the figure is coming lol. Looks amazing too, easily my most anticipated figure of the year.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I have two. First, my Legends Deadpool and then my HTs Avengers Loki. HT Starlord third!

8l6GVPP.jpg

jaatzbc.jpg

Yes, Hot Toys. About a year ago my when I was at the height of my Legends collecting, my wife suggested I collect HTs because they are more of a showpiece and don't look as cluttered as 6" figs. I couldn't believe my luck but I think she regrets it!

Very cool, Star Lord, Loki, Red Skull man great facial detail on those figures right there. Gonna have to show my buddy that pic / the site for the Loki figure.

dankir

More pics of Arkham City Batman from a dude that has it.

11140039_838598612841864_3186286473848887334_n.jpg

Pretty derpy expression lol

13387_838598956175163_134676860475268339_n.jpg

Better expression

11233549_838599066175152_4239217041187277071_n.jpg

11265507_838546499513742_4089899633849815132_n.jpg

Apparently you can't really move his cape around, doesn't even go past his shoulders :(

dankir

With the Deadpool movie coming we are pretty much garunteed a Deadpool Hot Toys figure right? I can't wait, I need it.

Nope, Hot Toys has only made Wolverine figures from Fox owned movie properties.

I know Sideshow is coming out with their own 1/6 Deadpool toy, but I doubt we'll see the Ryan Reynolds version.

darklin0

Banned

I know Sideshow is coming out with their own 1/6 Deadpool toy, but I doubt we'll see the Ryan Reynolds version.
Why did you have to dash my dreams like that? T-T

So no chance for a Suicide Squad set from Hot Toys then?

dankir

I'd say the main figures at least, depends how the movie does. But Hot Toys in general produces a lot of DC figures.

It's just that Marvel doesn't want any Fox movie based toys created really.

Wanderer5

I'd say the main figures at least, depends how the movie does. But Hot Toys in general produces a lot of DC figures.

It's just that Marvel doesn't want any Fox movie based toys created really.

Ha ha the whole marvel vs fox thing is really something.

Those are really bad photos, check out the blogger photos on Hot Toys' Facebook page, the sculpt turned out great. Looks ripped straight from the game.

As for Cap, Figma tried to do the impossible, make the Avengers costume look good. Commendable, but futile. :(

That expression still looks silly lol. Everything else is great about him through.

And well least the figurearts Cap has another face expression lol, but yeah his face still looks a bit bleh. GSC seem to did a better job with tony stark's face (well overall they did a awesome job with iron man).

Ha ha the whole marvel vs fox thing is really something.

That expression still looks silly lol. Everything else is great about him through.

And well least the figurearts Cap has another face expression lol, but yeah his face still looks a bit bleh. GSC seem to did a better job with tony stark's face (well overall they did a awesome job with iron man).

IMO Figma's Ironman and Thor are superior to their Figuarts counterparts, Hemsworth's likeness is way better in the Figma version plus he has the superior suit there IMO.
Cap is a toss up, I have the Figma one but I am not too fond of the uniform in the Figma version and he is a tad too small compared to Figma's Ironman and Thor. I like Figuart's Cap uniform better. I wish Figma will make an AoU Cap

Nah I think we'll see him. Movie will have a ton of buzz behind it and it'll only be a figure.

I'd expect a Joker, Harley, and maybe Deadshot. No way they do the whole team.

Flintty

Very cool, Star Lord, Loki, Red Skull man great facial detail on those figures right there. Gonna have to show my buddy that pic / the site for the Loki figure.

Loki is pure awesome. It was a long and patient hunt to get him for a realistic price and so worth it in the end.

With the Deadpool movie coming we are pretty much garunteed a Deadpool Hot Toys figure right? I can't wait, I need it.

I'm 90% certain we will get a HT Deadpool. He's one of the biggest names in comics and has steadily been becoming more mainstream. Personally I think he will be given similar treatment to Wolverine and he will have the popularity to back that up.

I do have the SS exclusive on order but will order the HT version on day one.

moai

So i preordered sh figuarts iron man, captain america and hulk but thor looks terrible. Any recomendation of a 6'' figure (doesnt need to be from the age of ultron movie)?

Tetsuya Nomura’s Batman is coming out in July. Preorders are up at sites like AmiAmi for almost 26.8k (18.9 at AmiAmi).

Still looks really bleh in design, but whatever.
I sort of like the design as a non Batman figure, repack it, drop the DC license, drop the price significantly and I might buy it.

Top Bottom