• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Flintty

Yes, they look great indeed, the diorama is such a nice little extra, did you pre-order Luke? it comes with an extra Vader's head.

I didn't get an order in for Luke, sadly. I've tried Ebay but I'm not prepared to drop £50+ on a preorder from Japan on Ebay - worried I'll get conned. I'm hoping a UK seller will put him up soon. I've got Maul on order though - he looks superb.

Yeah, when I bought Starboost, I told myself that was going to be the only one. I now have 5 Hot Toys Iron Man figures, a couple more preordered, and I have 4 tabs open on Sideshow right now that I'm about to pull the trigger on. pls help.

I'd tell you to show restraint and not do it but resistance is futile! :D

Aw man, I drifted more towards this side of the fence during the original split in the Marvel Legends thread, but I never wanted to see FigureGAF go; much less like that. Sorry guys.

In happier news, I'm moved back in for the summer, which means I can start taking pictures of figures to actually post again. Hopefully I'll find that Legends Daredevil and Spider-Woman before the Hulkbuster wave hits.

I've yet to run into Daredevil in the wild

Yeah, when I bought Starboost, I told myself that was going to be the only one. I now have 5 Hot Toys Iron Man figures, a couple more preordered, and I have 4 tabs open on Sideshow right now that I'm about to pull the trigger on. pls help.

lol I catch myself from doing this from time to time. I think yestday I was looking at Batman Retuns set, Commando, and Battle Damaged Robocop but the mothers day coupon didn't work on any of em

Einbroch

Banned
Here's a simple rule of thumb: if there is something that you previously would've posted in FigureGAF, and you're wondering if since that thread is locked you should post it here instead, maybe don't.

Well then I guess the thread should be locked as FigureGAF accepted every kind of figure and had regular postings of figures from Hot Toys, Sideshow Collectibles (as two examples of western statue manufacturers), as well as Figmas, Revoltechs, and Nendoroids (three examples of articulated figures).

We're clearly not welcome on GAF, even those that only collect Nendoroids or Hot Toys which aren't sexualized at all.

This'll be my last post. Later all.

Here's a simple rule of thumb: if there is something that you previously would've posted in FigureGAF, and you're wondering if since that thread is locked you should post it here instead, maybe don't.

So even stuff being posted in this thread already? Because FigureGAF people, like me, collected stuff in Action Figure GAF too.

Protip: If the site itself would just lay some ground rules on its self morale polices (hey maybe a sticky thread) then maybe stuff like a entire community closure wouldn't happen.

Back to the topic though. Can't wait to get my Pyramid Head figmas in today!

So even stuff being posted in this thread already? Because FigureGAF people, like me, collected stuff in Action Figure GAF too.

Protip: If the site itself would just lay some ground rules on its self morale polices (hey maybe a sticky thread) then maybe stuff like a entire community closure wouldn't happen.

I've never bought a figma but Pyramid head looks so damn cool

LiK

I really thought my post was straightforward. If it's something you would've previously posted in FigureGAF, don't post it here. If it's something you would've previously posted in Action Figure GAF, feel free.

seems vague. I think I posted the same figures in both threads from time to time for feedback. oh well

Flintty

Well then I guess the thread should be locked as FigureGAF accepted every kind of figure and had regular postings of figures from Hot Toys, Sideshow Collectibles (as two examples of western statue manufacturers), as well as Figmas, Revoltechs, and Nendoroids (three examples of articulated figures).

We're clearly not welcome on GAF, even those that only collect Nendoroids or Hot Toys which aren't sexualized at all.

I really don't see how this is being misunderstood. No need to play dumb - everyone who ever looked in that thread knows what was wrong with it.

fC11efP.jpg

I'm looking forward to these guys meeting in a space bar somewhere! They're gonna either kill eachother or get on like long lost drinking buddies :D

This'll be my last post. Later all.

Relax guys, you can post your articulated figures here no problem, like I said before I understand if some of you are mad and frustrated because your community is no more, but please don't take it on us or try to post questions trying to lure us into an argument.

Let us be, and if you have articulated figure and want o talk about them please do so, but take your problems about FigureGAF to the mods, we didn't have anything to do with it.

Drayco21

So, pictures taken on a glorified potato, but here's my Legends bookshelf clusterfuck so far. I've left some room for the upcoming figures I know I'm going to prioritize (Ben Reilly for the Spider-Verse shelf, the Guardians boxset for the cosmic shelf), but I was wondering if there was anyone here with advice on posing/displaying this many figures, because I'm rapidly running out of room. I'd like to set something a little more dynamic, but I don't think I have the room for this many figures posed like that.

LiK

well, if there's any confusion, i'll PM Cyan before posting something i'm not sure about since he's moderating here.

seems vague. I think I posted the same figures in both threads from time to time for feedback. oh well

I think Cyan means something of questionable content, not about if the Figure is Japanese or American or a Japanese action figure of an american IP.

Just post your articulated action figures regarding of where they come from.

No worries ActionFigureGAF, I will cease discussion of past community at once.

So, I don't keep up with Hot Toys as often as I'd like to. What are some hot new releases coming out?

LiK

I think Cyan means something of questionable content, not about if the Figure is Japanese or American or a Japanese action figure of an american IP.

Just post your articulated action figures regarding of where they come from.

yea, I got a good grasp of what to post. *fistbump*

So, pictures taken on a glorified potato, but here's my Legends bookshelf clusterfuck so far. I've left some room for the upcoming figures I know I'm going to prioritize (Ben Reilly for the Spider-Verse shelf, the Guardians boxset for the cosmic shelf), but I was wondering if there was anyone here with advice on posing/displaying this many figures, because I'm rapidly running out of room. I'd like to set something a little more dynamic, but I don't think I have the room for this many figures posed like that.

same problem I was having. Unless you got a ton of room you end up with a very cluttered display

Flintty

So, I don't keep up with Hot Toys as often as I'd like to. What are some hot new releases coming out?

Groot and Rocket coming out is my highlight but I have to wait till June/July till SS get them in then ship to UK. I also have Gamora from a UK seller coming up very soon.

Whiplash 2.0 is looking stunning too. I'm tempted but cant justify it...

LiK

I'm not like "official action figure mod" or anything, I just thought I'd try to clear things up a little. And apparently failed. :p

I was mainly trying to reiterate that we didn't want this thread to be taken over and turned into FigureGAF 2.0. Stuff that fits with what was previously the purview of this thread is fine. Hopefully that's at least a little bit more clear.

And yes, feel free to PM me if you aren't sure about something.

cool. thanks for the clarification.

curb

Banned

That Miles is so sad looking. Not your posing, he just seems so hunched over.

lol actually I change my answer to Iron Man

There is more Iron man coming out. Theres silver ones and white ones and red with gold and red with yellow and giant blue ones and all the other colors of the rainbow so enjoy

Drayco21

That Miles is so sad looking. Not your posing, he just seems so hunched over.

Yeah, he's an awful figure. I'm sure we'll get a much needed update soon.

I laughed pretty hard :D Great collection you have there!

Thanks! It's hard to believe that a little over a year ago now, I was adamant that I was a 3 3/4" collector only, and wanted nothing to do with 6" figures. Now I'm drowning in them, and couldn't be happier.

Groot and Rocket coming out is my highlight but I have to wait till June/July till SS get them in then ship to UK. I also have Gamora from a UK seller coming up very soon.

Whiplash 2.0 is looking stunning too. I'm tempted but cant justify it...
Woah, Whiplash 2.0 looks gooooood

here you go

11194510_10152784761957344_3416675172310219426_o.jpg
Thanks!

Check the release of Marvel's next movie.
Lol true.

lol actually I change my answer to Iron Man

There is more Iron man coming out. Theres silver ones and white ones and red with gold and red with yellow and giant blue ones and all the other colors of the rainbow so enjoy
Lol nice.

curb

Banned
Yeah, he's an awful figure. I'm sure we'll get a much needed update soon.

That would be good. I see there's a 3.75 version of him out soon(?) but a proper Legends would be great. I ended up buying a kiddie Web Warriors Miles to put with some on my desk since it fits heighth-wise.

javac

Okay, since a few newer people like myself are here, I thought I'd ask, whats everybody's favorite figure/prized possession? Doesn't have to be the biggest, or the heaviest or the most expensive, just the one you love the most, (if that's possible!)

I have to say, my favorite has to be the RIO:bone Canti from FLCL. It a really cool looking figure, with a unique color, super articulate and comes with a nice amount of accessories. I think its very photogenic too!

Sorry for the large amount of pics, I really like this figure as you can tell! :p

Drayco21

Well, that's convenient. Sister wanted to head over to look at dresses at Meijer, so I decided to tag along and see if they had anything in. Nothing from the Spidey wave; like most retailers, everything was ASM2 Spidey and Superior, but they did have a lone Spider-Woman sitting in the Avengers display. Aw yiss!

That would be good. I see there's a 3.75 version of him out soon(?) but a proper Legends would be great. I ended up buying a kiddie Web Warriors Miles to put with some on my desk since it fits heighth-wise.

The Universe figure came out a little while ago; but I think it is getting a reissue in one of the upcoming waves, iirc. It's probably his best figure, and it's still not ideal- Hasbro keeps wanting to proportion Miles like he's an adult, instead of a little kid. I keep almost picking up that Web Warrior too, and almost pulled the trigger on the Masher, but I think I'll hold out; I'd almost bet money he and Spider-Gwen will headline whatever the next Spider-Man wave will be.

Okay, since a few newer people like myself are here, I thought I'd ask, whats everybody's favorite figure/prized possession? Doesn't have to be the biggest, or the heaviest or the most expensive, just the one you love the most, (if that's possible!)

I have to say, my favorite has to be the RIO:bone Canti from FLCL. It a really cool looking figure, with a unique color, super articulate and comes with a nice amount of accessories. I think its very photogenic too!

Sorry for the large amount of pics, I really like this figure as you can tell! :p

I still haven't watched FLCL, but that's a really neat looking character design. Mine is probably the old super-articulated Revenge of the Sith Clone Trooper; I've had it for a long time (how crazy is it that movie is ten years old now?), and it's the one that really made me want to collect figures, he was just so cool looking and I loved how many crazy displays I could set up on a shelf. Had a cantina scene set-up for the longest time that was just him, Sean Connery, the Terminator and Spider-Man hanging out, getting into bar shenanigans.

javac

I still haven't watched FLCL, but that's a really neat looking character design. Mine is probably the old super-articulated Revenge of the Sith Clone Trooper; I've had it for a long time (how crazy is it that movie is ten years old now?), and it's the one that really made me want to collect figures, he was just so cool looking and I loved how many crazy displays I could set up on a shelf. Had a cantina scene set-up for the longest time that was just him, Sean Connery, the Terminator and Spider-Man hanging out, getting into bar shenanigans.

You can't beat those sentimental figures, that's for sure! The most expensive and rarest figure is always cool to own, that holy grail we all seek, but sometimes its the little things we enjoy the most. Something silly, maybe cheap and common, but that's good sometimes. We all start collecting somewhere, it's cool to look back and see how our collections have grown
and weep and how our budgets have ballooned!

That is a cool figure in any case, I'm not a big Star Wars guy, but the Clone Trooper design is really nice and sleek and iconic, and yet rudimentary and no frills.

Messi

I hope this is ok as I really dont want to get banned. You know I am good people. I regularly post my hot toys. I am just so happy that Quorra is getting a day one infinity figure. It shows Disney is back in the Quorra business and one step closer to a Tron 3 Hot toy of her.

edit: im sorry, I deleted the pic. I am too worried about a ban. I wont post statues anymore.

I hope this is ok as I really dont want to get banned. You know I am good people. I regularly post my hot toys. I am just so happy that Quorra is getting a day one infinity figure. It shows Disney is back in the Quorra business and one step closer to a Tron 3 Hot toy of her.

1430851156-announce-tron.png

I would buy a Hot Toy of her

Drayco21

I was going to ask if this is the first time we've gotten a figure of Quorra, but then I remembered that not so hot 3 3/4" line from when the movie came out. Still, I don't even play the game and I might pick up the Tron figures. Hopefully they put out a Rinzler too.

You can't beat those sentimental figures, that's for sure! The most expensive and rarest figure is always cool to own, that holy grail we all seek, but sometimes its the little things we enjoy the most. Something silly, maybe cheap and common, but that's good sometimes. We all start collecting somewhere, it's cool to look back and see how our collections have grown
and weep and how our budgets have ballooned!

That is a cool figure in any case, I'm not a big Star Wars guy, but the Clone Trooper design is really nice and sleek and iconic, and yet rudimentary and no frills.

The more things change, the more they stay the same, that's for sure.
Kid me would laugh in current me's face if he knew how much money he'd be spending on toys :lol
One of these days, I ought to put up a nostalgia shelf, just dedicated to the figures I still have that really got me into this hobby. ROTS Clone Trooper, Raimi Spider-Man, ect.

Wanderer5

edit: im sorry, I deleted the pic. I am too worried about a ban. I wont post statues anymore.

I probably end up collecting Quorra at least lol. I reminded of Tron Sora that I was interested in getting, but now it a bit pricey for my taste at the moment sigh.

My brother has that exact Canti. It's really, really well made, and it looks fantastic on his shelf.

I'd have to say my favorite figure is my MG Tallgeese II. I had a Robot Damashii version of it, but I thought it was pretty mediocre looking for the money I put down on it(I made it back and then some when I sold off my entire Damashii collection though), especially considering how fantastic a lot of the other RDs from Gundam Wing and Gundam Unicorn ended up looking.

If Master Grade kits don't count as figures, please let me know and I'll change my answer to my ThreeA Master Chief... oh wait no I won't, it got delayed.

dankir

I'm not 100% sure but supposedly this is a photo taken backstage at a HT event in Japan a few hours ago.

Look who it is!

11163947_10153775728660278_1508168472525482321_n.jpg

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Not much to say other than a big WELCOME to the FGAF refugees. You and all of your articulated figures are welcome here. Please share your photos, that is the fun part! I love looking at AFGAF pictures.

I haven't shared for a while, so here's a pic of my HT Starboost Ironman :)

LM03mis.jpg

Wow that is badass. Will have to look it up. HT = Hot Toys am guessing? Plus yeah those details Id like to think so lol

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/marvel-iron-man-mark-xxxix-starboost-hot-toys-902173/

Flintty

Okay, since a few newer people like myself are here, I thought I'd ask, whats everybody's favorite figure/prized possession?

I have two. First, my Legends Deadpool and then my HTs Avengers Loki. HT Starlord third!

8l6GVPP.jpg

jaatzbc.jpg

Wow that is badass. Will have to look it up. HT = Hot Toys am guessing? Plus yeah those details Id like to think so lol

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/marvel-iron-man-mark-xxxix-starboost-hot-toys-902173/
Yes, Hot Toys. About a year ago my when I was at the height of my Legends collecting, my wife suggested I collect HTs because they are more of a showpiece and don't look as cluttered as 6" figs. I couldn't believe my luck but I think she regrets it!

Wanderer5

Well I still have a iron ma- er woman, sorta.:p Link nendoroid might be my favorite figure at the moment, but Samus figma comes in very close second. I reminded of that once again when I tested my tablet camera on her a bit.

Too bad her hip joints are a bit annoying to move around, but otherwise man they did such a wonderful job with her.

Flintty

Well I still have a iron ma- er woman, sorta.:p Link nendoroid might be my favorite figure at the moment, but Samus figma comes in very close second. I reminded of that once again when I tested my tablet camera on her a bit.

Too bad her hip joints are a bit annoying to move around, but otherwise man they did such a wonderful job with her.

I love that figure! I keep looking at her (and Link) on Amazon, they are on my list. Great photos.

Wanderer5

I love that figure! I keep looking at her (and Link) on Amazon, they are on my list. Great photos.

I probably recommend checking out Samus first. Link is getting yet another re-release heh, but I not sure if Samus will be as lucky to get another one. It looks like her stock is fine at the moment.

yami4ct

Hi guys! Since the other community collapsed, I guess you all will be seeing some of me here! Quick intro on what I collect, it's mostly robot toys with Transformers and Gundam being my main go-tos. I also grab some Sentai and Kamen Rider figuarts on occasion.

In recent updates, I have some extra cash coming in so that means I actually might be abel to afford this guy's car.

Really excited to get it (if I do end up with it). Even if I can afford it, the 25k yen price tag is really steep. The displays with KR Drive, the other 2 riders from the show, their bikes and Tridoron are stunning from the con photos.

3N16MA

Banned
I didn't visit FigureGAF outside of maybe 1-2 posts a couple years ago because most of the content did not appeal to me (I'm assuming that same content got is shut down).

However I would be open to statues being posted that relate to the action figures that are posted in here (DC, Marvel, Star Wars, TMNT, etc.)

Of course that is only if the majority is cool with it. I would assume a MOD would have to approve it considering the situation.

This is probably the only post I'm going to make about FigureGAF (unless someone responds and I feel compelled to respond to them). If the mods would rather not have any of it I can delete it.

Action Figure GAF vs Figure GAF was never about statues vs articulated figures and to pretend otherwise is being willfully ignorant or obtuse. Figure GAF was 90% sexually suggestive anime girl statues. That's not an insult, judgment, or condemnation, that is simply a statement of fact (with a made-up estimated statistic). That is not what Action Figure GAF is, and I feel like that was the real crux of the split in the first place. Action Figure GAF exists because we wanted a thread to discuss figures that wasn't dominated by fan servicey anime girls, anime gifs and preorder collages. That aesthetic doesn't appeal to us.

Figure GAF also developed a very elitist and insular attitude which was one of the reasons I dropped out of those threads even though I had been posting there since it was called "geek gaf - figure models." People openly shitting on figures that other people liked, action figures with exposed joints were often automatically dismissed as ugly, and discussion of anything that deviated from the norm was usually drowned out. It felt like an extension of AnimeGAF, not a place for people to discuss toys from all walks of life to congregate. And the truth is, there is never going to be thread for fans of ALL toys to coexist peacefully, there will always be a dominant trend that drowns out other discussion, and that's okay. New threads for new topics, right?

Does this thread move a lot more slowly? Sure, but that's not a bad thing, people post here when they have something to share. The quantity or frequency of activity here doesn't devalue this humble budding thread. Figure GAF refugees are welcome here, but I think it's important to understand why there were two different threads in the first place, and to not try to turn this thread into a replacement for the late Figure GAF.

This is probably the only post I'm going to make about FigureGAF (unless someone responds and I feel compelled to respond to them). If the mods would rather not have any of it I can delete it.

Action Figure GAF vs Figure GAF was never about statues vs articulated figures and to pretend otherwise is being willfully ignorant or obtuse. Figure GAF was 90% sexually suggestive anime girl statues. That's not an insult, judgment, or condemnation, that is simply a statement of fact (with a made-up estimated statistic). That is not what Action Figure GAF is, and I feel like that was the real crux of the split in the first place. Action Figure GAF exists because we wanted a thread to discuss figures that wasn't dominated by fan servicey anime girls, anime gifs and preorder collages. That aesthetic doesn't appeal to us.

Figure GAF also developed a very elitist and insular attitude which was one of the reasons I dropped out of those threads even though I had been posting there since it was called "geek gaf - figure models." People openly shitting on figures that other people liked, action figures with exposed joints were often automatically dismissed as ugly, and discussion of anything that deviated from the norm was usually drowned out. It felt like an extension of AnimeGAF, not a place for people to discuss toys from all walks of life to congregate. And the truth is, there is never going to be thread for fans of ALL toys to coexist peacefully, there will always be a dominant trend that drowns out other discussion, and that's okay. New threads for new topics, right?

Does this thread move a lot more slowly? Sure, but that's not a bad thing, people post here when they have something to share. The quantity or frequency of activity here doesn't devalue this humble budding thread. Figure GAF refugees are welcome here, but I think it's important to understand why there were two different threads in the first place, and to not try to turn this thread into a replacement for the late Figure GAF.

well said

yami4ct

I guess the one question I want to ask here right now is who in this thread collects or likes Kamen Rider, Gundam or Transformers? I just like to get to know the other community members into the stuff I like.

Drayco21

I guess the one question I want to ask here right now is who in this thread collects or likes Kamen Rider, Gundam or Transformers? I just like to get to know the other community members into the stuff I like.

I love me some Transformers. Well, I love me pretty much all giant robots and mechs, but Japanese figures are usually a bit more than I can bring myself to spend on one figure.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

I collected Rider Figuarts during the OOO/Gokaiger/W stuff but fell off pretty quickly becausse I realized how much I was spending(US dollar value was incredibly weak at the time) and they were a real pain to stand sometimes without stands. I'm too paranoid to collect anything expensive with bad centers of gravity.
joker15.jpg

beautiful colors though.

yami4ct

I love me some Transformers. Well, I love me pretty much all giant robots and mechs, but Japanese figures are usually a bit more than I can bring myself to spend on one figure.

I love TransformersGaf. Gaf has been my favorite place to discuss the franchise given how sadly toxic the communities have gotten in the last 5 years or so. I personally collect all the MP stuff (sans repaints like Road Rage and G2 Bee) since the quality is worth the price for me, but I can see why you'd avoid it. If they keep this pace up, I might have to start cutting back. Hasbro has been killing it lately with the Combiner Wars and late-generations stuff, so you still get some great quality stuff coming.

I collected Rider Figuarts during the OOO/Gokaiger/W stuff but fell off pretty quickly becausse I realized how much I was spending(US dollar value was incredibly weak at the time) and they were a real pain to stand sometimes without stands. I'm too paranoid to collect anything expensive with bad centers of gravity.
beautiful colors though.

You should check out the modern figuarts. The bad center of gravity was really a huge problem with the old figuarts body, particularly the W stuff. Modern figures are very well balanced, even with the switch away from die-cast feet. Cost is still a problem, though. I try to limit heavily on what riders I buy, but even then my Drive collection has easily been the most expensive yet. Setting a hard limit like 1-2 forms of main Riders would be the best way to go, if you have the self-control to pull it off. They've been slowly re-doing all the old main riders with the new body and better sculpts, so when they eventually get to W Cyclone-Joker (hopefully in the next year or so), that might be the one to grab.

Giolon

Figure GAF also developed a very elitist and insular attitude which was one of the reasons I dropped out of those threads even though I had been posting there since it was called "geek gaf - figure models." , and discussion of anything that deviated from the norm was usually drowned out.
While I agree that a small handful of posters would often drown out less popular content, I don't agree about the elitist attitude. At least I know I always tried to welcome new people, regardless of what type of collecting they were into. Sometimes it'd be the only post acknowledging them, and I'm sure that'd be hard, but other times I saw plenty of other people welcoming them too. Sometimes my own posts that I put lots of time into taking photo galleries and figure reviews hardly got any response, sometimes it'd get a bunch.

People openly shitting on figures that other people liked, action figures with exposed joints were often automatically dismissed as ugly
While there were some people that don't like action figures because of joints, there were plenty of people who love figmas (including of western properties), Hot Toys, Nendoroids, Transformers, S.H. Figuarts, and other action figures that you also find here - sometimes to the exclusion of scale figures. There were both positive and negative opinions towards jointed figures (and really, most figures anyone would post about). Some brands do better at concealing the joints than others. Don't you think it should be ok for people to point out that they like the way one company does it vs another, or calling out figures that have particularly egregiously bad joints (Play Arts Kai knees are hideous, dear god, but I own several of them anyway) or other aspects they don't like?

Top Bottom