• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Fjordson

Where did you see a review? I haven't seen the production release? I just paid for mine on Amiami.

the paint jobs seem to really vary in quality. some figures look great, some look pretty bad consistency seems a bit of an issue.

I was going to order it off Big Bad Toy Store, but I figured I'd Google a bit and try to find pics of the released version. These came up:

1434112311400.jpg

http://nov.2chan.net/y/res/3345703.htm

Actually a solid figure with some good detail, but I dunno. Face looks a little off to me and I've already spent a lot this month (more pics at that link).

I would read this and spring onto action on AmiAmi and have it not be in stock anymore :(
Pre-orders have been closed for a while now, I don't think they've received any extra stock. They have it "in-stock" in their warehouse and ready to ship to those that have pre-ordered. Like Diggeh, I'm also hoping Lucina arrives this month so I can have the two of them shipped out together.

Chinner

Banned
I was going to order it off Big Bad Toy Store, but I figured I'd Google a bit and try to find pics of the released version. These came up:

Actually a solid figure with some good detail, but I dunno. Face looks a little off to me and I've already spent a lot this month (more pics at that link).

yeah, face can look off. but i've seen shots where it can look a lot better.

snake is just hella tanned

We have gotten word from an anonymous source for more listings from a retail computer of more Spider-Man based 6" Marvel Legends figures to be released this year after the Rhino wave.

While we always recommend taking these kinds of listings with a grain-of-salt till Hasbro officially confirms them, we feel the source is reliable enough that its worth bringing this news to your attention. We don't have a whole lot of specifics like release dates or even what the Build-A-Figures for these waves will be, but here is a breakdown of the figures we have been told about that are coming along with their UPC numbers.

Speed Demon - 630509397273
Beetle (Possibly female version) - 630509397280
Venom - 630509397341
Morbius - 630509397359
Jack O' Lantern - 640509397365
Gwen Stacey - 630509397372
Spider-Man - 630509397402
Spider Silk - 630509402632
Shocker - 630509402656
Miles Morales Spider-Man - 630509402663
Spider-Girl (Ashley Barton) - 630509402670
Peter Parker - 630509402694
Electro - 630509402700

So there you have it. If this list turns out to all be true then I would say it will be a good year for Spider-Man fans. With San Diego Comic Con just a few weeks away, we should get some kind of official confirmation and more details about these by then, so stay-tuned. Thanks to the anonymous source for sending these in to us.
Spider-Man_Legends__scaled_600.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FAlb9CH.jpg

I would love to see some of these figures released.Especially those that were made during the Toybiz era and early during the Hasbro era that are pricey now. Would love to have a Spider Gwen.

Drayco21

http://i.imgur.com/FAlb9CH.jpg

I would love to see some of these figures released.Especially those that were made during the Toybiz era and early during the Hasbro era that are pricey now. Would love to have a Spider Gwen.

Would buy:

* Fem! Beetle, Speed Demon and Shocker. We'd just need Overdrive to finish a Superior Foes colleciton, and that's awesome.
* Venom; don't even like Brock!Venom, but I probably need one for the collection.
* Jack O'Lantern, because Agent Venom needs his nemesis on the shelf.
* Silk, Miles and Spider-Gwen, even though I don't like a single one of those characters, because nothing stops the Spider-Family hype train.

pls just give me a SP//dr build-a-figure Hasbro.

Replicant

That looks like knockoff / counterfeit version. It's rare these days to see a bad GSC paint job. *knock on wood*

Delio

Yeah, that's from the post-Renewal Black/Black RX line. They look really well done and are relatively cheap to get right now, but I don't have any yet. I'm afraid that if I pick them up that I will feel compelled to start a Showa Rider collection as well.

The original release in Japan was April and it's being reissued in July. However, Bluefin seems to be distributing Kuuga stateside right now. I got mine from this third-party Amazon seller and it looks like there are still some in stock:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OZ5J3MC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$45 is probably as cheap as Kuuga will get for quite a while. Well worth the price though.

Thanks for this. When I saw AmiAmi had preorders sold out I feared I'd never get him.

Fjordson

Got my Revoltech Unit 01 from Amazon. Pretty great figure with some nice accessories. Easily worth the $40 price. Now time to wait for Unit 00 from AmiAmi.

Edit: also got figuarts Super Saiyan Gohan from Big Bad Toy Store. Once again, the Dragonball figuarts line comes through. Awesome figure.

Drayco21

Been neglecting to post any of my recent pick-ups. Need to start rectifying that;

Starting with today's newest arrival: Marvel Legends' Batroc the Leaper

My first couple figures on this core body, I wasn't super sold on, but the last few times I've seen it have really turned me around- it's a really fantastic base to work on for most superheroes and villains, and works really well with simpler costumes. I mean, a guy like Batroc the Leaper was probably never going to get made if he had to require an entirely new mold, and it gives them a chance to put all their tooling effort into making a great, personable head sculpt; and nail the head sculpt they did. I feel like a whole lot of Hasbro's Legends figures have been too neutral- it ruined MCU Rocket, and it looks generally terrible on a dozen other blank-faced, expressionless zombies on my shelf. Batroc though? His mouth twisted in a cocky grin, his pointed mustache and goatee; he looks like he leaped right out of the panels and into plastic, and turned what should have seemed like a boring filler figure on paper into one of the most stand-out fun figures of the whole wave. I know a ton of people were really disappointed in Batroc when he was initially revealed, and granted, actual movie Avengers like Thor, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver not getting retail releases (or releases at all in some cases) is a real bummer, especially with dozens of these other characters like Blizzard getting the spots instead, but Batroc has always been a favorite Cap villain of mine. He's a legitimate threat, a well-rounded, well-written character with genuine depth and has a great rapport with Cap, and I love whenever he shows up, almost as much as I love his incredibly dumb gimmick of playing up his French stereotype and twirling his mustaches like some ridiculous cartoon villain; he's just an all around fun character to read, and I'm glad his figure really comes to life and is just as fun as he is in ink.

As much as I like him though, he's not perfect. I mentioned earlier that this mold reuse strategy is perfect for costumes that stay pretty simple? While Batroc's fantastically garish purple and gold tights are far from complex, they do feature a lot of fine, black lines on the ankles, wrists and waist, and looking around at multiple Batroc's, I have yet to see a single one where they looked good in figure form; a natural extension of trying to paint these things on instead of having them sculpted. His wrists look especially sloppy in places. Another minor issue is that my Batroc seems to have quite a bit of sloppy paint around his waist and the back of his neck, and I had to pull some extra plastic off the top of his shoulder joints before they would move, but both are fairly minor concerns likely isolated to this one figure. Nothing's perfect, but Batroc is a pretty damn great representation of a really fun character that I never expected to add to my shelf, and am glad that I am.

Fjordson

Any MGS fans who want a good figure, I can't recommend the Play Arts kai Raiden one enough. Holy shit is this thing nice. Crazy detail, good articulation and it's big as hell. Towers over my revoltechs and DBZ figuarts.

Talking about the MGS 2 one to be specific.

anyone have a wishlist for figures they want Hot Toys to make?? I would love a Pinhead from Hellraiser and I need an updated 1/6 scale Endoskeleton from Terminator

yami4ct

Is it lame to buy a figure from a show you've never seen lol

I've never watched Kamen Rider Fourze, but man do I love the design of this guy

Nope. Liking the design is a perfectly fine reason to buy something. I bought SHF Kiva Emperor long before seeing that show and I own Cho ToQDaiOh despite thinking that show was really boring and dropping it.

That being said, you should watch Fourze. It's such a fun show. I think it drags a bit in the middle, but overall I found it to be fun throughout. Meteor is a great design as well.

Fjordson

Nope. Liking the design is a perfectly fine reason to buy something. I bought SHF Kiva Emperor long before seeing that show and I own Cho ToQDaiOh despite thinking that show was really boring and dropping it.

That being said, you should watch Fourze. It's such a fun show. I think it drags a bit in the middle, but overall I found it to be fun throughout. Meteor is a great design as well.
Nice. I'll check it out then.

And yeah, Meteor's design is really, really cool. I love the space theme.

LiK

Any MGS fans who want a good figure, I can't recommend the Play Arts kai Raiden one enough. Holy shit is this thing nice. Crazy detail, good articulation and it's big as hell. Towers over my revoltechs and DBZ figuarts.

Talking about the MGS 2 one to be specific.

i have the black and white one. i agree, it's insane how good it looks.

8x4efr-jpg.gif

God damn. Anxiously awaiting pre-orders to go live!

F5'ing AmiAmi over and over until they go up :D

I've honestly never been so excited for a set of figures. Goku looks absolutely incredible, and Vegeta and Trunks are Vegeta and Trunks.

EDIT: I hope they do Full Power Frieza at some point. That would just make my day!

Before I pay for my overpriced pre-order for the Digimon Adventure tags & crests - my fault for ignoring an email from the middle man service , anybody know anywhere which still has it available for less than 7000 JPY?
Also, sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, I can't see any other import/figure threads.

yami4ct

The sculpt on the SHF Goku looks gorgeous. That clothing design is near perfect. Really impressive.

Going by that Vegeta, though, the DBZ figuarts are still using the old SHF Body design? Why? The new one is so damn good, especially in the hips. Is it just because these are remolds/repaints of old DBZ stuff?

The sculpt on the SHF Goku looks gorgeous. That clothing design is near perfect. Really impressive.

Going by that Vegeta, though, the DBZ figuarts are still using the old SHF Body design? Why? The new one is so damn good, especially in the hips. Is it just because these are remolds/repaints of old DBZ stuff?

Yeah Vegeta and Trunks are essentially repaints called 'Advanced Color Versions' which are a little more vibrant I think. It's basically an excuse to rerelease the old exclusive versions of those figures with doing a straight up reissue.

WolfStark

The SDCC is near and with it an exclusive packaging for the new 6'' TFA Stormtrooper

I would really like to buy it but since I am living in Germany and not being able to buy it in San Diego and Hasbro not shipping to Europa, I am asking myself how I could get my hands on the item, without paying an astronomous sum on ebay. Has anyone experience with exclusives like these and knows a solution?

Red Comet

Nice. I'll check it out then.

And yeah, Meteor's design is really, really cool. I love the space theme.

Meteor is pretty cool. His fighting style is based on Bruce Lee. I've actually got that figure in the mail right now along with Fourze Base States, but they seem to be held up in customs right now.

And I got notice from HLJ this morning that SHF Mach and the Ride Mach are in, so I can finally have them ship Mashin Chaser and Ride Chaser from my "Private Warehouse".

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up the Funko Legacy Rocketeer at TRU today! Been waiting for this guy for a long time. I'm glad the helmet is a separate head, though I did have some trouble with the separate ball joint piece being stuck in the regular head. Not like anyone's going to use it anyway!

His gun is molded to slip into his hand and his finger fits into the trigger, though there's no storage for it on the figure itself. The jetpack isn't removable, and I would've liked some more hands, but I'm so happy to finally own him that anything else is a bonus.

Drayco21

So following my post from the other day; when I picked up Batroc, I noticed that Amazon actually had Daredevil in-stock (He actually still is, if anyone is still needing to get one), so I decided to just buy him; after all, few enough retailers around me are stocking the Spider-Man figures that I doubt I'd be seeing him at retail any time soon.

Daredevil, like Batroc before him, is using the current "standard" Hasbro body, but while I feel like the reuse and painted detailing were a weakness for Batroc thanks to all his extra fine lines, it works pretty much perfectly for a suit like Daredevil's- just a solid red piece with no extra detailing and slightly different red boots and gloves. Like Batroc, DD gets a new headsculpt, and while it's not quite as fun as The Leaper's, it's no less like the character. Matt's face is stoic, harsh and grim. This is no Waid or Lee Daredevil, cracking jokes and smiling in the face of danger; it's the colder, more dangerous character Miller reinvented him to be, and it looks perfect. In addition to the head, Matt gets a separate sculpted belt which you can use to hide the waist swivel if you hate visible articulation, and a thigh holster for the billy clubs that seems poorly fitted to the leg and instead spends a lot of time hanging out at the knee. My only real problem with the reuse here is that despite the minimal paint work on the Daredevil costume, they still managed some paint slop; most notable in the chest insignia double-D's.

Probably the biggest disappointment with this figure is the billy clubs. I didn't expect Hasbro to ever use softer, gummier plastic than what they used on the elbows and kness of the Guardians figures, but they really managed to outdo themselves- the clubs are so weak they seem more like pool noodles; especially if you peg them together into the bowstaff, where it becomes clear that they're too pliable to do anything but sway over on their own weight. What's really baffling is that Hellcat, in the second Avengers wave, has similar black clubs which, while not great either, are apparently much better than these. Nonetheless; they at least look acceptable mid-action pose when they're separate clubs, or when they're holstered, and I probably wasn't ever going to have him wielding the staff on my shelf anyway, so they're still good enough.

Like Batroc before him, I feel like this is a pretty near perfect Daredevil figure. Some minor improvements to the clubs would have been nice, but overall? I can't imagine ever needing another figure of this costume in this scale. It may have taken three or four times, but I feel like we've finally got a definitive Matt Murdoc; and just in time for the Netflix series to turn him into a big name star! Now we just need a full DD Legends wave to give us an updated Kingpin and more villains for him to hit.

ML Stilt-Man when, Hasbro?!

Picked up the Funko Legacy Rocketeer at TRU today! Been waiting for this guy for a long time. I'm glad the helmet is a separate head, though I did have some trouble with the separate ball joint piece being stuck in the regular head. Not like anyone's going to use it anyway!

His gun is molded to slip into his hand and his finger fits into the trigger, though there's no storage for it on the figure itself. The jetpack isn't removable, and I would've liked some more hands, but I'm so happy to finally own him that anything else is a bonus.

I haven't seen The Rocketeer still, but I love that Funko has been making solid, nice looking figures of niche properties that most companies would never think to try. I can't wait to pick up a Captain Mal.

yami4ct

My Figuarts Mach and Ride Macher just hit customs today. Hopefully that means I'll get them tomorrow. Will be Tuesday at the latest. I'm really pumped.

Replicant

UGH @ Nin-Nin Games. Little to no communications but the minute I say that I want to cancel, they responded. I probably wouldn't have canceled if the item in question wasn't limited but I'm not taking any chances with them not getting one just yet and not bothering updating me about it.

Top Bottom