• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Anyone have the 1/6 sideshow Vader (most recent release)? I was going to get the hot toys one, but my buddy is willing to sell the sideshow to me at a really really good price. I can put that money towards another fig!

Unless the price is $150 or less, I'd go HT. The tailoring on the suit itself is really off, nowhere near HT level, the base is needlessly large, the unmasked sculpt looks nothing like Sebastian Shaw, and the lightsaber is shit.

XenoId

How do you guys sell figures you no longer want? Want to sell my PAK Solid Snake and Ninja.

Is Ebay the best way to go or is there another site more figure oriented that you use for selling?

Live in northern europe if it matters

Averon

Popular designs of premium Gundam figures are disgustingly expensive. The premium-premium ones like Metal Build and Gundam Fix Figuration Metal Composite are even more so.

Metal build does 00 and SEED exclusively if I'm not mistaken, and since SEED designs remain very popular, it doesn't surprise me to see prices like that, especially when Robot Damashii exclusives tend to sit in the $100 range.

Yeah. I picked up the Freedom Gundam for only $130, and that's only because it was given a reissue. I got the Strike Freedom metal build on pre-order for $199. I normally wouldn't pay that much for a figurine, but given the alternative (paying $500+ from resellers), it is a bargain. Hopefully their will be a reissue of Destiny and the Exia to lower the prices, as I really would like to pick them up.

Drayco21

Speaking of Star Wars, we're finally getting peeks at what's happening with The Force Awakens figures. For a while there, I thought we actually weren't going to see any of them until they launched in September.

6inchew.jpg

RUUdjTd.jpg

It's been a while since I cared enough to collect Star Wars figures, but I'm really excited for the 6" line here. Hopefully the movie doesn't disappoint.

Fjordson

Got the 18 inch Arkham Knight Batman in from NECA.

Getting the Mezco Batman and this within a few days of each other is great lol. Easily two of the best Batman figures I've ever seen.

Think I may actually prefer the Mezco one for being unique. Love the Frank Miller style and the cloth suit.

yami4ct

Working with Nin-Nin game has been a real hassle.

I preorder SHF Tridoron from them as it was the cheapest way to get that particular exclusive. Paid by CC as it was the only way I didn't have to pay up front. Got an email that said they needed proof of residence and a scan of my ID. Sent that in. Then they said they needed it front and back. Ok, that was my fault for misreading the first email. Now they say they needed those documents at a higher res, which is dumb as at the current res you can literally see every spec of dust on the damn license. Whatever. I'll get it done, but still a really kind of bleh first impression. Will continue using Nippon Yassan for exclusives in the future outside of these rare instances where Nin-Nin is significantly cheaper.

Replicant

Working with Nin-Nin game has been a real hassle.

I preorder SHF Tridoron from them as it was the cheapest way to get that particular exclusive. Paid by CC as it was the only way I didn't have to pay up front. Got an email that said they needed proof of residence and a scan of my ID. Sent that in. Then they said they needed it front and back. Ok, that was my fault for misreading the first email. Now they say they needed those documents at a higher res, which is dumb as at the current res you can literally see every spec of dust on the damn license. Whatever. I'll get it done, but still a really kind of bleh first impression. Will continue using Nippon Yassan for exclusives in the future outside of these rare instances where Nin-Nin is significantly cheaper.

I WILL NEVER EVER use them again and I will inform anyone who wants to listen to not use them.

They rarely able to have items on the date promised. When you contact them asking when they'll have it, they don't answer. At this point, there's a likelihood they can't get the item, especially when you look at other people's experience on Facebook. Meanwhile, other retailer have it and will likely run out unless you act quickly. But if you cancel, they charge 10% fee! which is BS, because they can't even guarantee that you will get the item. And oh, it'll take them forever to respond to cancellation and if they've taken your money, some people waited for 3 months or more to get a refund.

Nin-Nin game is an awful scam company for me. STAY AWAY AT ALL COST.

Bloodember

I WILL NEVER EVER use them again and I will inform anyone who wants to listen to not use them.

They rarely able to have items on the date promised. When you contact them asking when they'll have it, they don't answer. At this point, there's a likelihood they can't get the item, especially when you look at other people's experience on Facebook. Meanwhile, other retailer have it and will likely run out unless you act quickly. But if you cancel, they charge 10% fee! which is BS, because they can't even guarantee that you will get the item. And oh, it'll take them forever to respond to cancellation and if they've taken your money, some people waited for 3 months or more to get a refund.

I would never use an online company that wants me to send them scans of my Drivers license, if my billing address and shipping address is the same that's all they need to see.

yami4ct

I definitely will only use them as a middleman for webshop exclusives where they're significantly cheaper than N-Y. Given the nature of the Tamashii webshop stuff, I don't really expect them not to get it. Bandai basically makes those things to order so as long as you're within their pre-order date you're fine. In general, though, Nin-Nin seems like a mess that doesn't really care about giving customers any sort of positive experience.

I went with them this time because they were almost $40 cheaper, which is crazy. I'll never touch them again without a similar difference. Very much a last resort.

javac

I need this so badly. Wish I had the few hundred dollars to drop on it. :(

I know that feeling. I have it pre-ordered myself, its crazy money but man I love Gunbuster too much and this is the holy grail in my opinion. A lot of money, especially with the Evangelion BD this month too, but I'll have to grit my teeth, the fact I got it pre-ordered before they closed is a miracle enough!

LiK

I'm thinking about getting that figure. Worth the almost $100 I'd pay for him?

yea, pretty high quality. Play-Arts never fails with the Halo franchise. kinda wish he was in scale with Halo 4 MC tho. still bums me out they never have consistency with the scale.

Fjordson

Halo 2 PAK is a great figure. Worth the price imo.

That being said, if you have the space I would take a look at the 18 inch Master Chief from NECA. Incredible detail, good articulation, great paint job, and only 99 bucks. Way bigger than the play arts Kai Chief, but somehow costs the same. Definitely my favorite MC figure.

I buy most of my Marvel Legends figures online because they're pretty much non-existent at retail here in Canada. But because of that I end up with a lot of figures with shoddy paint and splotches.

Is there any way to remove paint splotches from a figure without damaging it?

Halo 2 PAK is a great figure. Worth the price imo.

That being said, if you have the space I would take a look at the 18 inch Master Chief from NECA. Incredible detail, good articulation, great paint job, and only 99 bucks. Way bigger than the play arts Kai Chief, but somehow costs the same. Definitely my favorite MC figure.

Yeah but it's the Halo 4 design, which I'm not overly fond of.

Hagi

Oh man I've seen some pictures of the figuarts luke and now i'm super bummed that I never ordered it in time :/

Gonna have to wait 6 months till one the JP sites restock him

Fantomex

Hello People! Gonna try to be more active. Haven't really been active since OT 1. A couple of thoughts.

1. Marvel Legends are getting better with paint jobs and sculpting. Observations on the Hulkbuster and Rhino set. But man, it seems they've settled on that more rubbery plastic. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing?

2. Figuarts are crack. I started with a Gohan which was $26, figured it was a nice little entry point. Plastic Crack. I know have Goku, Naruto, Sasuke, Hulk, Cap, Harley Quinn. Wish I could find a Cell or Frieza for $100 but that's impossible. I'll just wait on the gold Frieza and squint my eyes to pretend.

3. Although I really like the Figma Snake that was just released, I can't figure out why they are raising prices so much. We're going from Link and Samus $50ish, to Snake retailing for over $100. I was told it's most likely due to a very short run. But even short run's don't really affect production costs. What gives?

Although I really like the Figma Snake that was just released, I can't figure out why they are raising prices so much. We're going from Link and Samus $50ish, to Snake retailing for over $100. I was told it's most likely due to a very short run. But even short run's don't really affect production costs. What gives?

Snake was like $60 on AmiAmi and HLJ. Not sure where you're coming up with $100 retail.

Fantomex

Snake was like $60 on AmiAmi and HLJ. Not sure where you're coming up with $100 retail.

These usually get distributed in the USA by Diamond Distribution. They provide them to Amazon, Toy Shops and Comic Book shops. The wholesale list price is currently at $94.99. I can post a scan when I get home if you'd like. This is the list Diamond sent out to everyone last month. Case in point, look at the regular price on Amazon, not the sale price. Big bad toy store took a loss on their figures and are selling them for $90 currently, shipping NOT included.

xsRi8ja.png

Drayco21

I'm actually feeling the 5PoA budget Star Wars figures way more than I expected. Something about them hits me in the nostalgia for the Phantom Menace/PotF2 days, and I might actually end up buying some of these just because of that. The packaging looks gorgeous too.

Gonna buy that Phasma for sure, and probably Kylo and a Flametrooper or two too.

Rootbeer

Banned
They look good for Saga figures but supposedly they also raised the price so maybe they factored that into the look of the figures. Since they are not doing more articulated 3 3/4 (supposedly?) they had to up their game on these. They look good for the size.

I still only care about 6" though from Hasbro. :) Can't wait to see them.

Drayco21

They look good for Saga figures but supposedly they also raised the price so maybe they factored that into the look of the figures. Since they are not doing more articulated 3 3/4 (supposedly?) they had to up their game on these. They look good for the size.

I still only care about 6" though from Hasbro. :) Can't wait to see them.

Oh man, price raise would be a huge bummer. Big appeal there is the 6-8 dollar price range.

Got my SHF Cap. Pretty cool fig. The legs could be a bit better, but satisfied otherwise.

Really, really, really hope* they start doing non-movie Marvel/DC stuff (i.e actual comic likeness, unike Injustice/AoU). I'd be all over them like a symbiote on its host. Symbiote Spidey, oh my!

*And nope hope, because my dear, sweet wallet can't handle it.

Doubt I'll shop with AmiAmi again, they're being obtuse with the replacement/refund of my figure with the scratched base. I'm thinking I'll file a paypal dispute. Told me to use a "white eraser" to rub out the scratch and haven't responded since. Seems like they take your money, and don't give a fuck what happens afterwards.

Messi

Just watched the Superman v Batman and Suicide Squad trailers back to back....there is a hot toys storm coming and it is going to destroy my bank account.

Rootbeer

Banned
So I pre-ordered Hot Toys Boba Deluxe Version

I figured, if I never buy another SW Hot Toy at least I know I'll love this one.

I still have plans to get Hot Toys BvS Batman, Superman, Joker and hopefully the justice league too.

Enron

Banned
Crossposted from the gundam thread -

ZZ
20589460101_1909b05d1e_c.jpg

Believe in a sign of Zeta
19961573923_72fb32eb3c_c.jpg

Goose
20553155246_046ccff232_c.jpg

Nu
20590300791_eef2cda95a_c.jpg

Obari as FUCK
19963175753_ed3991f17e_c.jpg

So here's my haul for today, all posed up and everything. I still have a couple of Aura Battlers, and a Gundam Virsago still in the box, awaiting stands.

These all look FANTASTIC. My favorites are the ZZ and the Dragonar Unit 2.

The Nu is great looking, especially with the effects parts for the funnels, but...IT IS SO FRAGILE. The clips on the funnels , bazooka, and shield all BARELY hold and if you breath on it it falls to pieces. This desperately needs a v2. Even the goddamned MSiA held together better.

Top Bottom