• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Went to the shop with money in hand and no plan. Just some retail therapy. Came out with the Mezco Dark Knight Returns figure. Really happy with it.

rT12J1x.jpg

ezv2ozG.jpg

Replicant

Well, it's a pretty funky design. Congrats on the buy.

No shame in that. Haha. I bought my Monsterarts just because they look cool. And then I started watching Godzilla movies to justify my Monsterarts purchases. :p

Thanks guys. I have this tendency to just buy figure because they either look cool or cute. It needs to stop because I wouldn't have enough space for things that I want sooner or later.

I just got my first play arts kai, the big boss variant from ground zeroes, so should I keep it on the box or pose that baby to my hearts desire?

Fjordson

Went to the shop with money in hand and no plan. Just some retail therapy. Came out with the Mezco Dark Knight Returns figure. Really happy with it.

rT12J1x.jpg

ezv2ozG.jpg
Nice! This is one of the best figures I own and definitely my favourite Batman piece. I had to pay $90 on eBay (was originally $60 I think) but it was worth it.

I'm looking forward to Mezco's one:12 Judge Dredd coming soon. Love the idea of high end 6 inch figures.

Man, finally got in from NYCC 2015 and I got tons of pictures of toys. I just added the stuff from the Koto Star Wars ArtFX display. Check em out here.

I gotta have that Captain Plasma and the Snow Trooper.

Nice! This is one of the best figures I own and definitely my favourite Batman piece. I had to pay $90 on eBay (was originally $60 I think) but it was worth it.

I'm looking forward to Mezco's one:12 Judge Dredd coming soon. Love the idea of high end 6 inch figures.

Yeah man, it's an instant fav. Highly photogenic. I had to pay $90 also but the piece sells over 100 on the after market.

NEO0MJ

Thanks guys. I have this tendency to just buy figure because they either look cool or cute. It needs to stop because I wouldn't have enough space for things that I want sooner or later.

Ha, I know that feeling. In fact I'm already out of space. Frankly I think that killed my purchases more than money. I refuse to buy something just to store it.

Unboxed my Hot Toys Die Cast Iron Man Mark III today, and while it's a hell of a looker, I gotta say, I'm pretty underwhelmed. I thought all the bitching and moaning at Sideshow Freaks was hyperbole as usual, but this figure is such a step backwards from the amazing feats of engineering that Hot Toys has achieved with the Iron Man license. It boggles the mind as to why this figure is the way it is. Almost all of the little tricks that they've implemented and perfected over the last few years have been ignored. That includes the pull out shoulders from the Mark 42/43, the extending waist and ab crunch that has been around since the Mark IV, the extending ankle and elbow joints first seen on the War Machine Mark 2/Iron Patriot, knees that aren't double jointed, extremely limited ankle rockers/tilts, and I'm probably forgetting something else. Instead, we get a static waist piece that can swap out with a separate curved piece for easy-mode ground pound poses. Oh that also means no hip swivel either.

Now don't me wrong, I like this figure, it's a really cool figure. It handedly kicks the ass of the original and battle damaged Mark III figures in the looks department alone. I just don't love it like I loved the Mark 42, it's not the home run it could have and should have been.

Just opened up Monsterarts MFS-3 Type 3 Kiryu Mechagodzilla. SO INCREDIBLE.
The details are absolutely insane and the articulation is fantastic and it's got a heft to it that just feels so quality and all of the joints are so smooth yet so sturdy and the figure is absolutely blowing me away.
On top of that, he comes with quite a few sweet accessories. He comes with a drill hand, a battle-damaged head, arm-mounted guns, and shoulder-mounted rocket launchers.

...Apologies for spamming so many Monsterarts photos, but I just keep buying them and I can't not post a picture of them.

Also, if any of you guys even have a mild interest in Godzilla, I'd HIGHLY recommend picking up Godzilla 2000 and the most recently released Mechagodzilla. I absolutely love all of my Monsterarts, but those two are standouts even among the rest. They're just perfect (and they're also both available for MSRP still). Anyone who enjoys action figures and likes giant monsters will absolutely love those.
Plus I need people to be super excited about Monsterarts with me. I feel alone.

lol you're doing wonders for my wallet. XD

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just opened up Monsterarts Gamera, the last of the Monsterarts that I ordered when I bought like four at once and was spreading out opening them so that I could savor them. Was hoping to open one every couple weeks, but I ended up only being able to wait like a week. Still not bad. Haha. It's a sweet figure. Tons of awesome accessories so that you can switch it to flying mode. Also includes a super cool fireball effect.

lol you're doing wonders for my wallet. XD

Sorry! I'm all about living frugally, but these Monsterarts are worth every penny. Haha. You won't regret it. :p

NYCC 2015: Pop Culture Shock booth. They're the ones working on the Street Fighter V Nash and Cammy statues and they are freaking nice... and expensive. Nash is $400 I believe.

link.

Unboxed my Hot Toys Die Cast Iron Man Mark III today, and while it's a hell of a looker, I gotta say, I'm pretty underwhelmed. I thought all the bitching and moaning at Sideshow Freaks was hyperbole as usual, but this figure is such a step backwards from the amazing feats of engineering that Hot Toys has achieved with the Iron Man license. It boggles the mind as to why this figure is the way it is. Almost all of the little tricks that they've implemented and perfected over the last few years have been ignored. That includes the pull out shoulders from the Mark 42/43, the extending waist and ab crunch that has been around since the Mark IV, the extending ankle and elbow joints first seen on the War Machine Mark 2/Iron Patriot, knees that aren't double jointed, extremely limited ankle rockers/tilts, and I'm probably forgetting something else. Instead, we get a static waist piece that can swap out with a separate curved piece for easy-mode ground pound poses. Oh that also means no hip swivel either.

Now don't me wrong, I like this figure, it's a really cool figure. It handedly kicks the ass of the original and battle damaged Mark III figures in the looks department alone. I just don't love it like I loved the Mark 42, it's not the home run it could have and should have been.

I've done my fair share of bitchin about this figure over on Sideshow. Been looking forward for an updated MK3 since I got my first HT the MK4. Hot Toys really took quite a few steps back on this. I cancelled my PO as soon as first reviews came out. Hopefully they will do an 1/4 scale MK3 and redeem themselves.

Snaku

Banned
I just ordered the new X-Plus Gigantic Series Godzilla 2000. I've never spent that much on a figure before, and it made me cringe a little when I clicked the confirmation button, but god damn does this thing look impressive. I don't think I'll ever be satisfied with Monsterarts after I get this guy in.

Kipp

I just ordered the new X-Plus Gigantic Series Godzilla 2000. I've never spent that much on a figure before, and it made me cringe a little when I clicked the confirmation button, but god damn does this thing look impressive. I don't think I'll ever be satisfied with Monsterarts after I get this guy in.

Goodness. That figure looks absolutely insane.

Snaku

Banned
Absolutely ridiculous.
I'm jealous.

Gigantic GMK will be what I'm saving up for next, then Gigantic Burning Goji. I think a sizable chunk of my tax refund next year will be going towards one of them, but damn they're worth it.

Mbrill82

7gKl5VA.jpg

Just found out this existed today, I saw a review of it on YouTube. The guy mentioned that it was a Walgreen's exclusive so I went to Walgreen's on my lunch hour and luckily they had one.

Kipp

Gigantic GMK will be what I'm saving up for next, then Gigantic Burning Goji. I think a sizable chunk of my tax refund next year will be going towards one of them, but damn they're worth it.

Yeah, those are most definitely some quality, quality pieces.
The one thing protecting me from considering them is that I'm just not a fan of statues. I gotta have my articulation.
Regardless though, those are incredible. Having all three on display next to each other would be a sight to see for sure.

iqubal

Banned
Aight Gaf, help me decide! Picking up one of these this weekend. T-800 is about $50 more ( i have some credit at a local store). I'm at a standstill with myself lol.

Hagi

Gamera is so badass.
And I never want to take him out of this pose either... Do you guys ever stumble upon a pose for an action figure that you think just can't be topped and you feel bad touching it? That's how I feel about that Gamera pose.

Bonus photo of Mechagodzilla with his accessories (back-mounted rocket launchers and arm-mounted lasers) attached.

I don't really want to be an enabler Kipp but this is definitely something you should at least take a look at. It's amazing and expensive but oh so amazing.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=BAN15934&mode=retail

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Sideshows classic Catwoman statue is released,get mine in a week!

Was that first shot really necessary? I'd recommend removing it before we all get in trouble.

Man, all these NYCC reveals are insane. I thought this year was bad, but 2016 looks like it may kill my wallet for good.

Top Bottom