• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
And sold out, so Kipp's money is safe.

Indeed :(
Can't find it available anywhere in fact (wasn't necessarily going to buy it, just wanted to see what the going price is).

Is there anything else like this available? I'm especially interested in the backdrops. I was looking at photos taken with this, and the sky backdrops add so much to photos of the figures.

Edit: Found more info on it. This thing looks INSANE. Thank goodness it's sold out...

Hagi

It's premium bandai which is why it's so expensive on the after market. Cool as fuck though, the pictures i've seen people take with it look straight out of a Showa Godzilla movie.

Mbrill82

Indeed :(
Can't find it available anywhere in fact (wasn't necessarily going to buy it, just wanted to see what the going price is).

Is there anything else like this available? I'm especially interested in the backdrops. I was looking at photos taken with this, and the sky backdrops add so much to photos of the figures.

Edit: Found more info on it. This thing looks INSANE. Thank goodness it's sold out...
Holy wow this is amazing. Crazy attention to detail. My favorite part is the smartphone clamp that can sit on the tiny functional dolly haha. I wanna see someone shoot a short on this set using Monster arts figs.

Just after a bit of advice, Was looking at some Zelda figures on the back of that awesome Link Figma that was shown last week and came across this.

[URL="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Legend-of-Zelda-Link-PVC-Figures-Cute-Toys-Face-Changable-Collection-10-cm-/331676077092?hash=item4d396f4c24[/URL]

Given that the Nendoroid one is about £30 on Amazon in the UK, this seems really cheap. I Notice it's not got 'Good Smile' or 'Nendoroid' anywhere on the page, so is it likely to be a knock off?
856330944_o.jpg
I'm positive that that's a big fat phony.

Kipp

Well... I officially have more Monsterarts than I have shelf space.
Not like that's going to stop me from buying more, but I'll just have to rotate them in and out.

Luckily I should be buying a house sometime early next year, so I'll likely have myself a hobby room where I can have tons and tons of shelf space.

Snaku

Banned
was happy to see SH Figuarts Phasma up on Amazon Japan....then it turns out it was from resellers. sigh

Amazon Japan doesn't ship figures overseas though, right? I think you'd need a proxy service.

You're better off keeping an eye on CD Japan or AmiAmi near the release date. They always have extras, either from preorder cancellations or whatever. That's how I got Maul.

LiK

Amazon Japan doesn't ship figures overseas though, right? I think you'd need a proxy service.

You're better off keeping an eye on CD Japan or AmiAmi near the release date. They always have extras, either from preorder cancellations or whatever. That's how I got Maul.

i use a forwarding service so i use them now. some of the resellers ship overseas but i don't wanna deal with them unless i have no other choice. even Japanese resellers can be unreliable and most of them don't understand any English which makes asking for status and things like that a hassle.

Kipp

I so wish Monsterarts would make some action figures of Gamera's foes. I'd kill for Gyaos, Legion, and Iris action figures.

Hagi

I so wish Monsterarts would make some action figures of Gamera's foes. I'd kill for Gyaos, Legion, and Iris action figures.

Depending on how the new film does I'd expect some new Gamera themed monsterarts. I know we didn't get the Muto from Godzilla 2014 but I think more classic themed monsters will be more likely.

Kipp

Seeing someone as frugal as Kipp so interested in figures is amusing to no end. :D

Haha yeah. It feels good to have found something I want to buy.
It's not so much that I hate spending money, it's more that I just have very high standards of what I spend money on. Things have to be totally worth it for me to buy them and not many things are worth it for me since I don't really get too much joy/worth/whatever out of most purchases. Monsterarts, however, are so worth it to me, so I don't mind spending the money on them.
Well, I mind a little bit. It still hurts a bit spending the money, but I'm just ignoring that feeling. Lol
But yeah, Monsterarts just make me happy.

Depending on how the new film does I'd expect some new Gamera themed monsterarts. I know we didn't get the Muto from Godzilla 2014 but I think more classic themed monsters will be more likely.

Yeah, I sure hope so. I just watched the recent Gamera trilogy for the first time and they blew me away. So great. I'd love some more Gamera-verse Monsterarts so my Gamera isn't so lonely. Plus, the Gamera villains all have great designs. They'd make for some really cool figures.

And yeah, it is a bit odd that we never got Muto since it seems like G14 merchandise would be the biggest sellers for Monsterarts, but I don't really mind since I don't really care for Muto as a Godzilla baddie.

Snaku

Banned

Tamashii recently said they were going to move into making non articulated Monsterarts Zeroes statues of Heisei series kaiju. I think that might be your best hope for the near future. By all accounts Tamashii is not impressed with SHMs sales, hence the the only recent and future releases are repaints, and new figures not being articulated.

Kipp

Tamashii recently said they were going to move into making non articulated Monsterarts Zeroes statues of Heisei series kaiju. I think that might be your best hope for the near future. By all accounts Tamashii is not impressed with SHMs sales, hence the the only recent and future releases are repaints, and new figures not being articulated.

I'm going to willfully ignore this statement. Bring on the SH Monsterarts.

Snaku

Banned
I'm going to willfully ignore this statement. Bring on the SH Monsterarts.

Heh, who knows, maybe Shin Gojira will drive a SH Monsterarts renaissance? I'm just glad articulation and cost aren't too big a concern for me, X-Plus is continuously knocking their kaiju releases out of the park. Got a preorder in for Destoroyah coming out next month, and I can't wait for Diamond's American reissues next year. I have SpaceGodzilla, Titanosaurus, Showa Gigan, and Angilas preordered for considerably less that what it would have cost to import them years ago, not to mention how much they go for now on the second hand market. I'll preorder Biollante and King Ghidorah as soon as they go up too. The display pieces they had at NYCC looked fantastic.

Kipp

Heh, who knows, maybe Shin Gojira will drive a SH Monsterarts renaissance? I'm just glad articulation and cost aren't too big a concern for me, X-Plus is continuously knocking their kaiju releases out of the park. Got a preorder in for Destoroyah coming out next month, and I can't wait for Diamond's American reissues next year. I have SpaceGodzilla, Titanosaurus, Showa Gigan, and Angilas preordered for considerably less that what it would have cost to import them years ago, not to mention how much they go for now on the second hand market. I'll preorder Biollante and King Ghidorah as soon as they go up too. The display pieces they had at NYCC looked fantastic.

I'm already committed to Monsterarts, so there's no way I'm going to start collecting X-Plus too. Haha. What's the main difference between them though? X-Plus has less articulation?

Snaku

Banned
I'm already committed to Monsterarts, so there's no way I'm going to start collecting X-Plus too. Haha. What's the main difference between them though? X-Plus has less articulation?

Aside from the stylistic Gigantic series by Yuji Sakai, X-Plus tend to be as accurate to the screen used suit as possible. They're also quite a bit larger than SHM. There's the 25cm series, the 30cm series, and the Gigantic series. The larger you go, the finer the detail. That's what I love about them, the detail is staggering. They're also great conversation pieces, everyone I've ever had over has been impressed.

The price point can be intimidating, but that's the great thing about the American reissues from Diamond that are coming next year. They're doing almost a dozen kaiju, plus a half dozen Godzillas. If you have a favorite among the ones they're releasing I encourage you do preorder at least one to see how you like them. If nothing else, X-Plus figures skyrocket in price on the second hand market so you won't lose anything is you decide to sell it later.

Kipp

Aside from the stylistic Gigantic series by Yuji Sakai, X-Plus tend to be as accurate to the screen used suit as possible. They're also quite a bit larger than SHM. There's the 25cm series, the 30cm series, and the Gigantic series. The larger you go, the finer the detail. That's what I love about them, the detail is staggering. They're also great conversation pieces, everyone I've ever had over has been impressed.

The price point can be intimidating, but that's the great thing about the American reissues from Diamond that are coming next year. They're doing almost a dozen kaiju, plus a half dozen Godzillas. If you have a favorite among the ones they're releasing I encourage you do preorder at least one to see how you like them. If nothing else, X-Plus figures skyrocket in price on the second hand market so you won't lose anything is you decide to sell it later.

To be honest, the articulation is the major draw for me, so I don't see myself going for any X-Plus figures. Though I could possibly see myself maaaybe getting one of those X-Plus Gigantic figures as a gorgeous display piece sometime way down the line. Who knows.
But yeah, I think Monsterarts are the best kaiju figures for me. Thanks for explaining X-Plus to me!

Edit: Omg. If I was ever to buy an X-Plus Gigantic figure, I would so want the GMK one. The design and the pose are SO BADASS. I'm assuming it's not readily available anymore though since it's double the price of the Millennium figure.

Snaku

Banned
Edit: Omg. If I was ever to buy an X-Plus Gigantic figure, I would so want the GMK one. The design and the pose are SO BADASS. I'm assuming it's not readily available anymore though since it's double the price of the Millennium figure.

Yeah, Gigantic GMK and Burning Goji go from anywhere between $500-700 these days. That's kinda the reason why I opted to get G2K now, so I don't have to spend an extra $200-300 on it later.

Kipp

Yeah, Gigantic GMK and Burning Goji go from anywhere between $500-700 these days. That's kinda the reason why I opted to get G2K now, so I don't have to spend an extra $200-300 on it later.

I'm pretty glad GMK isn't MSRP anymore or else I'd prooobably have to buy it. I would love to have that. Not for $700 though. Haha

Also, just cleared up a shelf so now I can fit all my Monsterarts on my shelves and they have room to breathe/be posed in nice scenes. I tried to take a photo of my setup but the lighting in my room is awful.

Snaku

Banned
Lovely photo from Kaiju Addicts of all three Gigantics' dorsal plates, had to share.

Also, just cleared up a shelf so now I can fit all my Monsterarts on my shelves and they have room to breathe/be posed in nice scenes. I tried to take a photo of my setup but the lighting in my room is awful.

If your lighting situation improves I'd love to see that.

Kipp

Lovely photo from Kaiju Addicts of all three Gigantics' dorsal plates, had to share.

Gorgeous photo. You reeeally need to stop posting about Gigantics, because each time you do, buying one seems less and less like a crazy idea...

...Out of curiosity, what's the cheapest you can buy the Millennium Gigantic for?

Messi

Am I just assuming hot toys has the licence for Suicide Squad? I don't want to sit here hoping for Margot Harley only to be disappointed.

Kipp

Well, it didn't improve, but I took a photo anyways. You can still get the gist of the setup at least. None of the current poses are particularly fantastic anyways, so whatever. Haha
Also, look forward to MOGERA, Destoroyah, and the first Mechagodzilla joining the party in the coming weeks. :D

While I was at it, I took a couple super quick (AKA potato-quality) photos of Spacegodzilla and Godzilla Jr. which I haven't posted photos of here yet:

Godzilla Jr. is such a tiny figure yet he's so detailed and so wonderfully articulated. The smallness just makes the figure all the more impressive. My photo doesn't do it any justice. I'll definitely take some better photos of it sometime soon.
On top of the figure, he comes with two helicopters which add so much to the scenes I create. I love the helicopters.

Snaku

Banned
Gorgeous photo. You reeeally need to stop posting about Gigantics, because each time you do, buying one seems less and less like a crazy idea...

...Out of curiosity, what's the cheapest you can buy the Millennium Gigantic for?

I was able to get Gigantic G2K for $350 shipped, thanks to the weak yen. Should be delivered on Monday, and I can't wait.

Well, it didn't improve, but I took a photo anyways. You can still get the gist of the setup at least. None of the current poses are particularly fantastic anyways, so whatever. Haha
Also, look forward to MOGERA, Destoroyah, and the first Mechagodzilla joining the party in the coming weeks. :D

While I was at it, I took a couple super quick (AKA potato-quality) photos of Spacegodzilla and Godzilla Jr. which I haven't posted photos of here yet:

Godzilla Jr. is such a tiny figure yet he's so detailed and so wonderfully articulated. The smallness just makes the figure all the more impressive. My photo doesn't do it any justice. I'll definitely take some better photos of it sometime soon.
On top of the figure, he comes with two helicopters which add so much to the scenes I create. I love the helicopters.

Very nice setup! I've always loved Little Godzilla, and Space Godzilla is awesome. It's a shame the film was so poor. Are you planning on getting the MosuGoji and Ghidorah reissues?

Kipp

I was able to get Gigantic G2K for $350 shipped, thanks to the weak yen. Should be delivered on Monday, and I can't wait.

Very nice setup! I've always loved Little Godzilla, and Space Godzilla is awesome. It's a shame the film was so poor. Are you planning on getting the MosuGoji and Ghidorah reissues?

Oh wow... $350 shipped isn't that bad...
If I already owned my own house I would probably get it and stick it on a table in my living room. Alas I probably won't have my own house for another 6 months or so and I definitely don't have room for that thing in my room (and I'm not sure my parents would go for sticking a massive Godzilla in the living room as a centerpiece).
So I'm safe for now. However, if they release another brilliant Gigantic in about 6 months to a year (or god forbid, if they somehow re-release GMK), I'll certainly have to give that some thought. Haha

And thanks! I personally enjoyed the Spacegodzilla film quite a lot for what it was. None of the Godzilla films are cinematic masterpieces by any means, but they're all good mindless fun and Spacegodzilla was no exception for me. Especially because of Little Godzilla. Haha. With that said, even if I hated the film I'd still love those two figures. They're both great in their own right and even better posed together.
And yeah! I'm planning to get both of those. I'm super excited for both of them!

Edit: Speaking of kaiju films, I just finished watching the original Gamera movie. The ending was absolutely hilarious/amazing.
They trapped Gamera in a rocket ship and launched him to Mars.
Doesn't get better than that.

Top Bottom