• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision is finally doing something about Call of Duty’s giant downloads

Draugoth

Gold Member
With Season 5 Reloaded, Activision also says that it is going to rely more on texture streaming, and players will be able to pick between “optimized” (the default) or “minimal” streaming. In mid-October, Activision plans to introduce a new user interface for browsing your Call of Duty games, too.

But to prepare for these changes, Activision says you’re going to have to download a big update as part of the Season 5 rollout that will reorganize game files and add new tech “to prep the way for the full player interface.” After that update is done, Activision says that Call of Duty’s footprint will go down because of the “file optimizations.” (PlayStation 5 players will have to download a series of updates because of “differences in file organization.”)

A roadmap from Activision about upcoming Call of Duty updates.

A roadmap from Activision about upcoming Call of Duty updates. Image: Activision

Because of the updates, Activision says that Black Ops 6 will be a “smaller download at launch than Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III.” The company doesn’t have a specific download size for Black Ops 6 yet, but it says that the estimated file sizes shown on preorder listings don’t represent the “download size or disk footprint” for the game. (Activision has already had to clarify this after an Xbox store page listing showed a jaw-dropping 309.85GB download.)

via The Verge

nikos

Download game for first time.

Update requires restart.

Restart.

Update requires restart.

Uninstall.

Trolling aside, I'd rather have a larger download with less texture streaming. If those streamed textures are saved, the game will eventually end up using a lot of storage anyway. Might as well download it from the start. If they're not saved, that's good for people who don't have the storage or would rather not download it. Good to have the option.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Combining all the COD games into a single “game” was a mistake sigh

Honestly. It really pisses me off. They treated their audience like retards by describing a problem that didn't exist ("hurr durr, now you won't have to waste time thinking about what button to press to launch the game hurrhurrhurr"), and the result is a decidedly worse experience for everyone: a garbage user interface that nobody asked for and everybody hates and longer wait times before you can actually get into a game.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Oh, that’s pretty cool.

You can download only SP campaign without some mandatory 100gb “framework” download as standalone SP campaign?

Is that Xbox only or PC as well?
Not really. You still have to download the "base"+ campaign that are ~100GB together. PC.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not really. You still have to download the "base"+ campaign that are ~100GB together. PC.

Yeah, you do need to download a certain large amount of 'shared' files as well.

It would be great if they can just offer like an SP package for people who just want to do the SP. Have it be a more reasonable 40~ GB.

I think Gears 5 does it like that, that you can prioritize the game to download just the SP campaign files and leave the MP, Horde etc for later.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Yeah, you do need to download a certain large amount of 'shared' files as well.

It would be great if they can just offer like an SP package for people who just want to do the SP. Have it be a more reasonable 40~ GB.

I think Gears 5 does it like that, that you can prioritize the game to download just the SP campaign files and leave the MP, Horde etc for later.
Some other old CoDs on Steam already let you do this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom