• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2015 |OT| Women's Round presented by Stephen Milne & Majak Daw

Status
Not open for further replies.

oipic

Calmly and methodically done by the Tigers, particularly given the slow start.

Could be a long year for Carlton, but can't help but feel that, like last year, the team is somehow lesser than the sum of its parts - I'd go so far as to say they're poorly coached.

Malthouse must've known that changes were required after last year, but he's simply plugged some new (bit part and relatively minor) players into the same old system, stubbornly believing that the team must be bent into his shape, rather than him adjusting his methods at all to suit. Hopefully the first of quite a few 2015 shaped nails in his career coffin tonight.

Cruncho

10418413_10153171674198908_1273459051200564119_n.jpg

Go tiges! :D

(the smoke is because of all the damn fireworks from the carlton entrance)

Why did I tip Carlton :/

It's like Richmond realised "hang on, these guys are shit!"

Come on mate, you've been out of the tipping game too long. Carlton don't have a forward line at all and Richmond should be finals again this year. Though I had a bit of a scare in that first quarter. Convincing win in the end.

Grug

This Carlton side has been soft for a few years, but they also looked slow and unfit tonight as well.

Their list profile isn't looking too good either and Murphy is a poor captain IMO.

They're going down before they go up again.

This Carlton side has been soft for a few years, but they also looked slow and unfit tonight as well.

Their list profile isn't looking too good either and Murphy is a poor captain IMO.

They're going down before they go up again.

Not to bash on Murphy, but I kinda agree with you. I thought at the time there were plenty more choices that would be better. At the time he was their best player but that doesn't make you the best captain.

maladroid

Eesh you guys pile it on. Isn't it enough I have to suffer through this season?

I don't like what Malthouse has done. He took a fast team and made it play slow, plodding football that's exposed their lack of footskills. Simpson should have been captain, but like Malthouse failing to adjust his game plan to suit the list given to him, what's done is done.

This side has been soft for a few years? Opposition fans said the same of Ratten's squad. 21 of 46 have stayed on from that era, and Malthouse has brought in 28 new players in the meantime. Now that he's moulded the team in his image, he better well deliver (not necessarily this year).

I don't care about winning (that'd be a path to further depression). All I want to see is some promise from Menzel, Cripps, Docherty, Smith and the like to be able to convince myself we won't turn into the next Melbourne.

We normally tip via footytips.com.au

cheers, I just joined this comp this morning. I am shown as a member but not on the ladder, so does it mean I will not be a part of the Round 1 scores?

I had entered my tips already, I am a member of another tipping competition, so I assume that those tips should transfer over right?

I tipped Richmond by 6pts. Im under the name "Xmus Jaxon Flaxon-Waxon"

Is everyone cool with the idea of putting $5 or $10 in to a theoretical pot and then the winner at the end of the year gets a steam/xbox/psn game or some such?

Yeah Im happy to do that, so long as my first round score is counted.

I don't like what Malthouse has done. He took a fast team and made it play slow, plodding football that's exposed their lack of footskills. Simpson should have been captain, but like Malthouse failing to adjust his game plan to suit the list given to him, what's done is done.

This side has been soft for a few years? Opposition fans said the same of Ratten's squad. 21 of 46 have stayed on from that era, and Malthouse has brought in 28 new players in the meantime. Now that he's moulded the team in his image, he better well deliver (not necessarily this year).

I don't care about winning (that'd be a path to further depression). All I want to see is some promise from Menzel, Cripps, Docherty, Smith and the like to be able to convince myself we won't turn into the next Melbourne.

You shouldnt have got rid of Ratten. Didnt he get you to the finals in his last year?

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
cheers, I just joined this comp this morning. I am shown as a member but not on the ladder, so does it mean I will not be a part of the Round 1 scores?

I had entered my tips already, I am a member of another tipping competition, so I assume that those tips should transfer over right?

Not quite sure how it works. The site seems to have a lot of annoying quirks to it. Surely it'll count your tips from now on. Not sure it'll give you Richmond or not. I don't see why it shouldn't though.

Edit: I think they have a certain time when they update the ladders because there's always a wait after games. So it'll probably update after the next.

oipic

You shouldnt have got rid of Ratten. Didnt he get you to the finals in his last year?

Carlton finished 10th in 2012, three games outside the 8.

This was largely on the back of a spate of injuries that most lists would've had trouble covering, and I think the side actually punched above its weight for much of the second half of the season given who was missing, and for how long.

That was a fact seemingly lost on the board, though, who by all accounts saw a late season loss to Gold Coast as the final straw (or so they say - I strongly suspect Malthouse was already on his way by that stage).

Ratten was very harshly done by, and prematurely let go in my opinion. I haven't seen anything since that particularly vindicates the decision, either. Bit of a rabble off-field, the Blues, then and now.

bomma_man

He was lucky to make it past last season. I don't think he'll make it through another.

He's been successful at every club he's coached at bar Carlton. What's the distinguishing factor? Dumping him won't make any difference; their list is shit. They need to bottom out and rebuild. Again. They should be worried about their recruiting staff more than anything.

I agree Simpson would have been a perfectly good choice for captain.

Menzel is fantastic. Unfortunately I don't think many of the depth players are much chop at this stage.

He's been successful at every club he's coached at bar Carlton. What's the distinguishing factor? Dumping him won't make any difference; their list is shit. They need to bottom out and rebuild. Again. They should be worried about their recruiting staff more than anything.

Oh I don't disagree with that. The list is bad and I have the feeling they thought they were close to a flag when they got Malthouse. I just think they'll dump Malthouse after another disappointing season.

If you've already tipped on the same website, it'll use whatever tips you've used in this comp as well.

If you've only just signed up to the site, you'll be given the away team and a margin of 0. This will give you the correct tip but obviously be 27 points away from the margin already. The ladder thing normally just takes a bit of time show up.

Rezbit

Come on mate, you've been out of the tipping game too long. Carlton don't have a forward line at all and Richmond should be finals again this year. Though I had a bit of a scare in that first quarter. Convincing win in the end.

Haha too true I've been out of it too long! Much easier from the couch.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Some excitement from the dees.

Edit: Go Melbourne (21 up). Gold Coast look pretty ordinary.

Edit 2: Great goal for the Dees then. Looked like they screwed up a great chance then Lumumba got the turnover. They're just holding on.

Edit 3: Well done, Melbourne.

Gold Coast did come back in the last but the Dees were just much better today. Their new recruits definitely helped. Well done Dees.

lets fucking go dons.

*so fucking pissed I didn't realize fox footy isn't on foxtel play*

Playing really well. Completely dominating them so far. Hopefully they'll keep it up.

Edit: Cooney has been a great pick up for the Bombers. He's looking in good nick.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Only a goal in it and still 7+ mins left. Essendon haven't even scored this last quarter.

Edit: That turnover. Handballed it straight to the man in front.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
The lack of match practice was always going to hurt but the drop off after 3 quarter time was ridiculous.

P. Fembot

Banned
As a mad Carlton supporter I was devastated at the G the other night.

Malthouse's game plan is total slow crap. Gets rid of Jeffy Garlett who goes apeshit for the Dees today.

The players are slow.

I agree that Simpson should have been captain and not Murph.

Culture problem.

The Tigers weren't so crash hot either though.

KAP151

I just got back from the G and am well into this bottle of Makers, but fuck me, that was one of the best performances by my beloved Demons I have seen in a long time.

We have something that resembles a team.

So this is what winning in round one feels like? I was in my mid 20's last time it happened.....

Cheers.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Quite a fight back from Brisbane. Would have been plenty of nervous Pies supporters. Good on them for holding on.

Thought Varcoe looked pretty good.
Christensen less so despite his stats. Probably needs another month a footy to get back to his best. Think he missed a fair bit of training due to back surgery late last year.

Pies almost did a Bombers. Out on their feet in the last quarter but managed to work hard to hold on. Happy with the first 3 quarters. Varcoe and Crisp looked handy and the usual Pendles, Swan, Sidebottom were fantastic. Grundy probably my best on ground.

legend166

You guys have no idea how much cathartic it was to see us run over Essendon today.

And to see the crowd boo Hird was the icing on the cake.

Rezbit

Happy my boys got up in the wet at anz after being 41 down!

Also went to the doggies/eagles game. Was actually pretty entertaining. Both teams have glaring weaknesses though that'll be exploited by the good teams. As soon as the doggies had a stoppage inside 50 you could sense a goal coming. Feel for the eagles pretty much losing their entire back line. As soon as hurn loaded up from defensive 50 however, you could sense an eagles goal. Doggies will wanna tighten that up!

Did we win? We shitted it in!

Cmon crows!

The Victorian media were laughing at the Walsh and walker appointments, they had the last laugh today.

Long way to go but they have the firepower to go far if they keep defending like they did today. So much better then the sando era, apart from the slow start to the third quarter, they were great.

After years of putting up with shit game day coaching (Ayres, Neil and then sando), today was a massive breath of fresh air for some good hard, quick, attacking footy. Well done boys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom