• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2015 |OT| Women's Round presented by Stephen Milne & Majak Daw

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still not sold on Tex as captain but boy he was huge today. Well done Crows.

The boys love him, the crowd loves him, the coaches love him. He's a team man and when he starts getting the ball, the players around him lift and the crowd lifts.

They only other players I would like to see as captain is Sloane and Thalia, they are the other club first star players.

Dangerfield as captain would have been a move done in the sando and trigg era, in a ploy to keep him at the club rather than merit. He hasn't signed, and that is fine as he is allowed to try and get the best price he can, but I don't like the way he will be holding the club to ransom in these negotiations.

Walker, on the other hand, signed early. A good sign of a club man and someone who I'd want as captain. I hope He's gonna have a breakout year, he looked like he was moving well today - Pre injury well. The added responsibility looks like it will lift him too.

Yeah totally agree with everything you said. Sloane is my favourite player for the Crows. I'm not against the idea of Tex but I'm just not sold yet. He certainly has a presence about him and it's very Carey like if he can carry the boys. Making Danger captain would have been a terrible idea.

Yeah totally agree with everything you said. Sloane is my favourite player for the Crows. I'm not against the idea of Tex but I'm just not sold yet. He certainly has a presence about him and it's very Carey like if he can carry the boys. Making Danger captain would have been a terrible idea.

Walker, betts, Thalia, smith, Sloane are probably my favourite players in order. Charlie Cameron is the young gun who excites me the most, and I think josh Jenkins gets underrated and bagged by crows supporters too much. If Jenkins and betts kicks their 40 goals each, and walker gets somewhere around the 70 mark (where he was prior to injury) that is a pretty deadly forward line.

Danger annoys me. Today he was good but last couple years he wasted the ball a lot and put himself at the bottom of packs, risking s lot of injury for not much benefit. I prefer him playing on the outside to give him time to use it better and then resting down forward to kick goals there. Walsh and I seem to agree on this today.

Fucking Butcher shouldn't be allowed to ever line up for anything outside of it SANFL. He's hopeless and his name befits him. Christ I can't stand Butcher.

jambo

Only watched the 4th quarter so Port looked pretty average.

Good to see we were ahead at each break, unfortunately not the one that counts though.

Some pretty big mistakes, especially in front of goal and the constant hand balling to players under pressure.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Tough going so far. Scrappy, fumbly and had some goals kick on us from really poor turnovers. Not sure how we're in-front. Clarke and Hawkins working well.

Hawks were pure class in that second quarter. Cats don't have the best depth here. Hawks young players are looking good though.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Has looked like we've been waiting to hear the final siren for 2 quarters now. Some really poor effort from most of the team. Reminiscent of the dire effort we put in during a couple of the games in last years finals. Better now than the end of the year I suppose.

Westlo

You guys have no idea how much cathartic it was to see us run over Essendon today.

And to see the crowd boo Hird was the icing on the cake.

You got fucking dominated by a team who had no preseason until the point where the lack of did them in, I wouldn't be talking shit.

Hopefully the boys are matchfit for Carlton in round 3, fuck you afl for giving us the grand finalists first up.

Grassy

Perfect start to the season, I guess the days of the epic battles between the Hawks and Cats are coming to an end.

Three in a row, believe.

leng jai

You guys have no idea how much cathartic it was to see us run over Essendon today.

And to see the crowd boo Hird was the icing on the cake.

Hilarious post considering Essendon are usually woeful in the wet, had no preseason matches and still managed to be 40 points up. Only reason you won was because Essendon literally stopped playing for the entire last quarter.

legend166

Hilarious post considering Essendon are usually woeful in the wet, had no preseason matches and still managed to be 40 points up. Only reason you won was because Essendon literally stopped playing for the entire last quarter.

Not sure what that has to do with anything I posted?

Edit: Lol, Essendon fans in this thread are so touchy.

The point was we've had to deal with your crap surrounding your club suffocating the sport for the last two years, so beating you was cathartic. Even moreso the manner in which we won.

leng jai

Not sure what that has to do with anything I posted?

Edit: Lol, Essendon fans in this thread are so touchy.

The point was we've had to deal with your crap surrounding your club suffocating the sport for the last two years, so beating you was cathartic. Even moreso the manner in which we won.

My point was the manner in which you won as nothing to brag about at all. Essendon supporters themselves are the ones that had to deal with the most crap in the first place. I have no idea how it's cathartic when the saga had nothing directly to do with Sydney, and Essendon were never away from the game at all in the first place. Any team that beat them last year could have claimed it was cathartic by that logic.

jambo

5 out of 9 tips to start the year, always surprises in the first round.

Someone in my work tips got 8 =\

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
5 out of 9 tips to start the year, always surprises in the first round.

Someone in my work tips got 8 =\

I thought I did alright with 7. Getting 9 + the margin right is pretty ridiculous as seen in the main footytip comp. I did switch to Collingwood late then changed it back but I don't think I would have felt comfortable going for three "roughies" in the first week given how last year went. I got Melb, Coll wrong. This year is going to be pretty tough given how close all the teams seem to be.

legend166

I only got 4.

My problem with tipping is I'm always going for the crazy upset rather than really just picking the better team, because being the only guy to get 9/9 with crazy picks instead of getting 6 or 7 with everyone else is more existing, lol.

I should just play it safe from now on.

jambo

I'll probably try my classic move of being average in the tips and then coming home hard in the last 6 rounds.

My tipping strategy of always tipping Crows and always against Port worked this week. Didn't work too well last year though.

Yagharek

I can't support essendon any more. I haven't watched the game in over a year but the results of last week showed that

1. Essendon recklessly did stuff to players they can't confirm the details of. That's a whs scandal.
2. The afl was tipping off the club beforehand.
3. The investigation didn't exonerate anyone.

I don't think the players are guilty of deliberately cheating. If they did, I'm happy to assume there was a naive trust in the club process.

But no one has been proven guilty or punished of anything beyond the fairy charge of disrepute in 2013.

Something happened. Someone needs to pay, and it's going to be multiple people in the club hierarchy, afl head office, external biochemists and asada itself.

What a clusterfuck.

I want to see ex player lawsuits expose what happened. Until then, the club and sport can get fucked.

If the players are innocent of deliberately taking anything they should be given health monitoring a la asbestos or lead exposure patients and future lawsuits should be open to them.

Omikron

The fact the Dank result has yet to be released by the AFL / Tribunal makes me think they are going to wait until after the appeals period expires for ASADA and possible WADA.... if he is then found guilty (of anything) after that period expires... well.

I think I mostly fall with you Yag in that the players were likely duped by the club, but also incredibly naive. The fact they do not know what went into them is shocking to me. And they and everyone is claiming they have been found innocent, when the result is far from that.

BTW, I suggest we keep track of the Hal Hunter case before the courts. What is the bet a settlement is reached?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ts-case-against-essendon-20150401-1mcxkn.html

Yagharek

I think ethically the players are probably innocent even though that doesn't constitute a valid excuse in any other sport. Accidents happen but still result in bans after all.

What the club did is either negligent or morally reprehensible. Somewhere in between.

legend166

I've always thought the players were naive and 'duped' in that sense. Getting 34 players to actively cheat and then not spill the beans just isn't possible.

However, I don't think that should have excluded them from receiving bans (should they have been found guilty), simply because that's how an anti-doping policy has to work. A situation whereby a player could receive significant discounts solely because they were 'duped' by support staff leaves a loophole big enough to drive one of those Nazi super tanks through. It would make effectively policing doping in sports impossible.

In this case, it would have screwed over the Essendon players. But that's the price to pay for a clean sport, and it's also where massive lawsuits come into play against Essendon. Like you said Vince, the fact that barely anyone has been punished is ridiculous.

For what it's worth, I've been reading some theories that ASADA will leave the appeal up to WADA. If ASADA appeal, it has to go to an AFL Appeals Board, which is pointless. WADA can take it to the Court of Arbitration for Sport immediately.

Yagharek

I guess to add another point is that if the players were duped it is right for them to feel vindicated. It is wrong for the club to claim vindication for itself as an organisation.

The players weren't cheats; they didn't deserve on field abuse from crowds and players. The club did.

Of course if all their meals were spiked with eg painkillers from Shane Warne's mum, that still qualifies them for a ban even if they weren't culpable. Which is harsh but that's the rules.

I strongly dislike the club telling supporters to back the players when it was never their actions in doubt.

maladroid

Wow Carlton, 1 goal in an hour of footy...
What did Juddy see in this lot to stay on another year. Seriously.

We used to win big, lose big under Ratten. Had pace with the likes of Betts and Garlett. Had grit with the likes of Duigan, Laidler, McLean, Robinson, etc. No fight in this group.

What did Juddy see in this lot to stay on another year. Seriously.

We used to win big, lose big under Ratten. Had pace with the likes of Betts and Garlett. Had grit with the likes of Duigan, Laidler, McLean, Robinson, etc. No fight in this group.

That's a good question. He didn't get any help from his team mates tonight either.

Rezbit

I dunno how a team can be so soft and roll over when challenged. Bit of an indictment when an almost retired superstar and Andrejs Everett are your best players by some margin.

oipic

As a Carlton man, it says something (perhaps?) that I was really hoping Joshy Kennedy would get his ten goals tonight. From the day he was traded, he's still my favourite of all those not wearing a Blues jumper. Well played, Josh - and well played Eagles - it shouldn't be forgotten just how many of their best 22 West Coast are currently missing.

Interesting little period of 4-5 rounds coming up for the Blues - might define Malthouse's future. (well, it should, provided the Carlton board have any balls - this is still arguable and unknown at this stage).

maladroid

That's a good question. He didn't get any help from his team mates tonight either.
New CEO. New coach. New recruitment. 8 years on and it's the same old crap.

Listening to that halftime interview and then seeing the expression on his face at the end of the match was just.. poor dude is gonna end his career with a spoon.

As a Carlton man, it says something (perhaps?) that I was really hoping Joshy Kennedy would get his ten goals tonight. From the day he was traded, he's still my favourite of all those not wearing a Blues jumper. Well played, Josh - and well played Eagles - it shouldn't be forgotten just how many of their best 22 West Coast are currently missing.

Interesting little period of 4-5 rounds coming up for the Blues - might define Malthouse's future. (well, it should, provided the Carlton board have any balls - this is still arguable and unknown at this stage).
First bolded makes this all the more embarrassing. Second bolded is just.. what are we doing?

We used to play fast, hiding our skill deficiencies. Could match it with the likes of the Pies (when they were reigning premiers) and Swans (next in line). Used to be able to get up for big rivalry matches. Now instead of beating the Tiges/Bombers/Pies by 10+ goals, we're getting beaten by those margins.

Ratten's last two seasons:
Gold Coast - won by 119
Port Adelaide - won by 62
Brisbane - won by 61
Richmond - won by 103
Essendon - won by 74
Melbourne - won by 76
Essendon - won by 62
Brisbane - won by 91
Collingwood - won by 60
Essendon - won by 96

Malthouse's last two seasons:
Melbourne - won by 61
GWS - won by 94
St Kilda - won by 85

2012:
Simpson misses 3 weeks, Judd misses 5, Walker 6, Murphy 6, Carrazzo 8, Laidler 18. Absolutely injury-ravaged season and board knee jerks into Malthouse.

2013-Now:
Malthouse can't change his gameplan to suit the list given to him and instead exposes the list's poor footskills. Makes a bunch of off-season changes to suit his strategies for what? To wallow in the bottom 6?

Now-Future:
Say we resign ourselves to the idea that Malthouse is just Pagan 2.0. What do we do? Bring in another big name who's past it, so we can give them a few years to go backwards before going forwards (and then fire them before they can go forwards, repeat ad nauseum)?

St Kilda who finds themselves in a similar situation at least gave their fans multiple Grand Final appearances before they bottomed out. What have we got to show for it?

I dunno how a team can be so soft and roll over when challenged. Bit of an indictment when an almost retired superstar and Andrejs Everett are your best players by some margin.

Juddy is still their best player and that is just sad. The bloke shouldn't be getting tagged in games. Blokes like Murphy and Gibbs should be getting the tags but they just aren't good enough. Murphy went backwards when he became captain and Gibbs just never went anywhere.

Malthouse was never the answer for this club at the time. They overrated their list and thought they were a finals/premiership chance and chased Malthouse. I do feel for Ratten even though he wasn't the best coach.

bomma_man

Juddy is still their best player and that is just sad. The bloke shouldn't be getting tagged in games. Blokes like Murphy and Gibbs should be getting the tags but they just aren't good enough. Murphy went backwards when he became captain and Gibbs just never went anywhere.

Malthouse was never the answer for this club at the time. They overrated their list and thought they were a finals/premiership chance and chased Malthouse. I do feel for Ratten even though he wasn't the best coach.

Yep, they're no different from 90's/00's Richmond. Really, they're no different from modern Melboirne, but at least they aren't delusional :p

So close I can see Walker's stubble.

fn4VnEg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom