• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S3 |OT| Earthquakes Make Me Daisy - Tuesdays 9/8c

Finally caught up with the show, I initially didn't want to watch it because of the negative early reactions and the fact that I'm not interested in regular spies doing regular spy stuff. After like 10 episodes in season 1 I really wasn't feeling it at all but I got much more into it when Hydra got involved, as long as some Marvel stuff was happening I'm good. Season 2 was much better, loved it. Season 3 is okay for now but really unfocused, but I'm guessing after the ending of last episode that we're actually getting somewhere now.

I could write way more but I'll keep it short.

-Kill Lincoln. He's useless, I don't know what kind of fetish Daisy has for guys without a personality but this is awful and forced. Not everyone needs to have a love interest in this, they just decided at the start of the season that Daisy and Coulson needed someone. They don't, they're both interesting enough on their own and this just drags them down(Coulson less so since Rosalind is actually relevant to the plot).

-Give me Secret Warriors damnit. The end of last season got me hyped but sadly it's been slowed down by Lash and ATCU crap, more people with powers that aren't Lincoln.

Khaz

There weren't really many twists in the last one, so this isn't too hard.

Uh, last mid season ending was Skye coming out strangely unharmed from an encounter with an obelisk while the whole temple was shaking, Raina being visibly changed into something else, and Tripp dying.

kirblar

Uh, last mid season ending was Skye coming out strangely unharmed from an encounter with an obelisk while the whole temple was shaking, Raina being visibly changed into something else, and Tripp dying.
We knew Skye was going to end up changing along w Raina. That wasn't a twist that was plot development.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So is the mid season finale next week? or do we get 2 more episodes before it?

There is one more episode before the midseason finale. So we have two episodes left for 2015.

We knew Skye was going to end up changing along w Raina. That wasn't a twist that was plot development.

Only because we paid attention to advertisements and cast and crew interviews.

If someone were binging through the show on Netflix, I imagine those were pretty exciting twists.

Didn't Mack get possessed, too, and we didn't know if he'd be OK?

kirblar

It was both.
No, it's not. Not when it's the obvious endgame of a plot developed over a season and a half. This has nothing to do with "being on the Internet" and evrything to do with standard competent writing. Skye's mom is evil? That's a twist. Ward is Hyda? That's a twist. Twists blindside the audience w unexpected revelations.

Most of the deaths in Savng Private Ryan, for instance, are not twists. But the last one is because of the expectations created by the framing device.

Frog-fu

Banned
No, it's not. Not when it's the obvious endgame of a plot developed over a season and a half. This has nothing to do with "being on the Internet" and evrything to do with standard competent writing. Skye's mom is evil? That's a twist. Ward is Hyda? That's a twist. Twists blindside the audience w unexpected revelations.

Most of the deaths in Savng Private Ryan, for instance, are not twists. But the last one is because of the expectations created by the framing device.

Daisy turning out to be an Inhuman was a pretty big fucking twist considering there had been no obvious signs pointing towards that and given the fact even the most remotely familiar with the MCU film release timeline were under the impression Inhumans wouldn't be introduced so early in a TV show.

Just go look up the thread from last season. It legit got people by surprise. It was a big twist.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Daisy turning out to be an Inhuman was a pretty big fucking twist considering there had been no obvious signs pointing towards that and given the fact even the most remotely familiar with the MCU film release timeline were under the impression Inhumans wouldn't be introduced so early in a TV show.

Just go look up the thread from last season. It legit got people by surprise. It was a big twist.

No obvious signs other than, y'know, Raina and Cal screaming that she was special at every opportunity. The fact that her parents were "monsters", and that wherever she "[went], death follows". All of those make it so that it's not a twist that she survives unharmed the mist. (Actual twist is Tripp dying, since there was no indication of that until he decides to kick the thing for some reason)

Frog-fu

Banned
No obvious signs other than, y'know, Raina and Cal screaming that she was special at every opportunity. The fact that her parents were "monsters", and that wherever she "[went], death follows". All of those make it so that it's not a twist that she survives unharmed the mist. (Actual twist is Tripp dying, since there was no indication of that until he decides to kick the thing for some reason)

The closest thing we have to a protagonist (aside from Coulson) being special isn't anything new. Her being special meaning Inhuman was, and it was highly unexpected precisely because we were led to believe Inhumans wouldn't be a thing until like 2019. The fact Sky's real name was Daisy Johnson - originally a mutant in the comics - and she an Inhuman with vibration powers wasn't something anyone could've foreseen.

That is, unless you were already familiar with Inhuman lore, which most viewers I imagine were not - and even then it would've still likely come as a surprise.

Again, look up the S2 thread and the way the revelation was received. It was a twist.

The closest thing we have to a protagonist (aside from Coulson) being special isn't anything new. Her being special meaning Inhuman was, and it was highly unexpected precisely because we were led to believe Inhumans wouldn't be a thing until like 2019. The fact Sky's real name was Daisy Johnson - originally a mutant in the comics - and she an Inhuman with vibration powers wasn't something anyone could've foreseen.

That is, unless you were already familiar with Inhuman lore, which most viewers I imagine were not - and even then it would've still likely come as a surprise.

Again, look up the S2 thread and the way the revelation was received. It was a twist.

You have an argument for the average viewer. You don't have one for the avid fan that was posting in the GAF thread.

We had been speculating whether she was Daisy Johnson or Jessica Drew since S1

I feel like Daisy being an 084 already made that twist not that surprising, anyone who was keeping up should have seen that coming. The only surprising thing about it was the way that it happened and that Tripp died.

Frog-fu

Banned
You have an argument for the average viewer. You don't have one for the avid fan that was posting in the GAF thread.

We had been speculating whether she was Daisy Johnson or Jessica Drew since S1

I was following the thread and didn't see it comming.

Also, I'm pretty sure Daisy Johnson wasn't guessed by more than like one person.

Regardless of whether it was a twist you suspected, i.e. a good or bad twist, it was still a twist, and a pretty damned by one for most of us since no one guessed she was an Inhuman afaik.

HeySeuss

I was following the thread and didn't see it comming.

Also, I'm pretty sure Daisy Johnson wasn't guessed by more than like one person.

Regardless of whether it was a twist you suspected, i.e. a good or bad twist, it was still a twist, and a pretty damned by one for most of us since no one guessed she was an Inhuman afaik.

Everyone knew she was inhuman. We just didn't know who she was going to change into. And even then, a few people called her being Daisy.

Frog-fu

Banned
Everyone knew she was inhuman. We just didn't know who she was going to change into. And even then, a few people called her being Daisy.

Nah, that's some BS right there. The Inhuman revelation was not obvious in the slightest. I'm calling bullshit on that.

From what I remember like one or two posters called her being Daisy.

Pachimari

I also remember, that most were quite surprised by the whole Skye turning into a cocoon. It was a huge moment, maybe the biggest moment of Agents of Shield.

Nah, that's some BS right there. The Inhuman revelation was not obvious in the slightest. I'm calling bullshit on that.

We knew she was Inhuman because it was obvious they weren't going with Mutants. There was like, a handful of people who were staunchly against the possibility of Inhumans because of the movie, but there wasn't another plausible way to explain everyone's powers. Blaze or whatever from S1 was never explained. He had powers before experimentation, wasn't an alien, and they expressedly avoided calling him a mutant.. so something had to give somewhere and Inhumans was the most likely direction.

I also remember, that most were quite surprised by the whole Skye turning into a cocoon. It was a huge moment, maybe the biggest moment of Agents of Shield.

Sure but that's mostly because we didn't know how the TV show was going to visualize the changing process. The cocoon itself was done specifically to create a gotcha moment.

anaron

yeah it was speculated but many people were saying "nope not gonna happen" and then it did.

that whole scene was one of the most thrilling in the entire MCU for me

The Daisy bit caught on before the twist, when Cal started making appearances in season 2. During season 1, everybody was fixated on her being Spider-Woman (and of course Wardmaster)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
coulson

j8UH2xP.gif

TheOddOne

Break??

Fuck
- CB: Agent Carter Season 2 Premiere, SHIELD Spring Return Dates Announced.
Agent Carter will have a two-hour debut similar to season one, running from 9-11pm on its premiere before going to a 9-10pm one-hour time period for the remainder of its run. After its run, there will be a week or two off before Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. comes back. That will return for the second half of its third season on Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 9pm.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
That will return for the second half of its third season on Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 9pm

That is literally forever away

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 3: episode 9 "Closure"

Grant Ward’s campaign for revenge brings the S.H.I.E.L.D. team to their knees, and Director Phil Coulson proves he will do anything to settle the score.

Top Bottom