• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S3 |OT| Earthquakes Make Me Daisy - Tuesdays 9/8c

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
As some mentioned in the Civil War thread, the interview was from last summer, so changes could have been made. If they aren't though, they just need to drop the half-assed pretense of #itsallconnected, because the Bullshit Alarm is sounding.

Technically it's still all connected... it's just that all the connections go downstream.

Im starting to think the "synergy" might be becoming a problem.
Basically ABC saying okay "Marvel do whatever you want" and they get to.

Meanwhile Netflix, CW, CBS and Fox pushback a bit against Marvel and WB/DC to give those shows a better chance.
(for example Fox was the main one pushing for "Joker" on Gotham, look how well that turned out.)

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Technically it's still all connected... it's just that all the connections go downstream.

Im starting to think the "synergy" might be becoming a problem.
Basically ABC saying okay "Marvel do whatever you want" and they get to.

Meanwhile Netflix, CW, CBS and Fox pushback a bit against Marvel and WB/DC to give those shows a better chance.
(for example Fox was the main one pushing for "Joker" on Gotham, look how well that turned out.)

It's getting more and more ridiculous and it's only going to get worse. I mean, the stakes of shit going on in AoS are on par if not higher than the non-avengers MCU films (portals to alien worlds, rapidly expanding superpowered population) but there is still never going to be anything other than most meaningless of nods towards the show's existence in the MCU. I mean, Fury mentioning that he got the helicarier from some "old friends" in AoU is only a reference to AoS if you want it to be, otherwise he's just talking about Maria Hill and the rest of the shield crew on the ship.

It's clear the TV shows are never going to have any impact or relevance for the movies, and the sooner they just admit it and drop the "its all connected" nonsense the better. It would be nice if the ABC shows and the Netflix shows at least had some sort of reasonable relationship, but that doesn't look terribly likely either. Most of the Jessica Jones show wouldn't have really made sense given the assumption that Coulson and co exist and are doing their thing.

Penguin

It's getting more and more ridiculous and it's only going to get worse. I mean, the stakes of shit going on in AoS are on par if not higher than the non-avengers MCU films (portals to alien worlds, rapidly expanding superpowered population) but there is still never going to be anything other than most meaningless of nods towards the show's existence in the MCU. I mean, Fury mentioning that he got the helicarier from some "old friends" in AoU is only a reference to AoS if you want it to be, otherwise he's just talking about Maria Hill and the rest of the shield crew on the ship.

It's clear the TV shows are never going to have any impact or relevance for the movies, and the sooner they just admit it and drop the "its all connected" nonsense the better.

I don't really get the big deal either way

Do you not enjoy the show? Or does your enjoyment rest on whether or not the movies mention it?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Do you not enjoy the show? Or does your enjoyment rest on whether or not the movies mention it?

My issue is that it's just dumb to have the show in this disingenuous limbo where they try to pretend it's part of the MCU when it clearly isn't. #itsallconnected is a fallacy and they should drop it and just own the fact that they are their own thing in the larger world of Marvel properties. By season 4 you aren't going to be bringing people into the show by half-baked assertions that it's totally related to the movies anyway.

As some mentioned in the Civil War thread, the interview was from last summer, so changes could have been made. If they aren't though, they just need to drop the half-assed pretense of #itsallconnected, because the Bullshit Alarm is sounding.

And to be fair, Feige's quote about TV->film references being "inevitable" is more recent than that.

But I'm still not expecting any Inhumans references in Civil War.

And at least as far as the PR optics of it go, the SHIELD writers kinda painted themselves into a corner in S3 by having (a) a global Terrigen outbreak that (b) the general public is aware of. That sort of storyline pretty much requires follow-through in the rest of the universe if you want to maintain the #itsallconnected line.

And to be fair, Feige's quote about TV->film references being "inevitable" is more recent than that.

And at least as far as the PR optics of it go, the SHIELD writers kinda painted themselves into a corner in S3 by having (a) a global Terrigen outbreak that (b) the general public is aware of. That sort of storyline pretty much requires follow-through in the rest of the universe if you want to maintain the #itsallconnected line.

Civil War might not get them, but I don't see how you can avoid them in Doctor Strange, given that Darkforce was in AoS *and* Agent Carter.

Pachimari

It's just one big missed opportunity by Marvel.

I enjoy the shows and movies on their own, but it's no secret that what I had really hoped for was for it all to be a little more connected. ;)

Show bends over backwards to flow with the movies
(think about how awful Season 1 was before the Winter Soldier twist, which they even used as an excuse)
Now with all this Inhumans stuff they have they could literally go crazy with it but nope Inhumans aren't going all out in the movies so they wont allow it.

Coulson could destroy every single Hydra base, weapon, soldier, etc but if movies need another branch they have it.

World wide threats but you can't call your buddy Tony or the shield agent Captain America(understandable but valid complaint with SHIELD/Coulson involved).
Can't even show the 2 top SHIELD characters thanks to the movies.

Netflix shows and Carter don't have this problem because
1. Its based on freaking SHIELD.
2. Coulson is friends with the Avengers(who themselves were a creation of SHIELD).

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm curious how they're going to avoid mentioning inhumans when the Inhumans movie comes out.

TheOddOne

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. returns with a new episode today:
Season 3: episode 11 "Bouncing Back"

Coulson is more determined than ever to get to Gideon Malick and put to an end to Hydra once and for all in the aftermath of his trip to Maveth. Meanwhile, Daisy and the team encounter more Inhumans who have powers like they've never seen before, but will they be friends or enemies of S.H.I.E.L.D?
- Promo for this week's episode.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca

Maybe it was a ploy on the TV side to force Marvel Studios' hand :O

Luke Mitchell just posted this:

CdDY0DzUMAEK9BP.jpg

Guessing:

The should literally move the show to an alternate Universe in the first 40 seconds. Flip some switch. Activate some power. I have no idea what Universe the MCU is in, but lets say MCU is the Earth-616 of the comics, then move everything SHIELD does into a separate reality. That lets them play with as much material as they want without having to be tied down to the MCU - which is hurting them at this point.

That would be a big WTF, and would lead to an exciting Season 4 filled with possibilities.

I don't mind as much that the movies are interconnected, because there are at least weak arguments for why Stark or Rogers could be uninvolved. But it's weird that no Inhumans popped up in Daredevil or JJ. That's street level enough that I'd have expected a mention. Still, the most I expect as far as connections is a throw away "more enhanced people with super powers are popping up every day!" line.

Sou Da

I don't mind as much that the movies are interconnected, because there are at least weak arguments for why Stark or Rogers could be uninvolved. But it's weird that no Inhumans popped up in Daredevil or JJ. That's street level enough that I'd have expected a mention. Still, the most I expect as far as connections is a throw away "more enhanced people with super powers are popping up every day!" line.
Technically already happened in JJ. "You're one of them"

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

because Inhumans hadn't been awakened yet when Daredevil happened, and Inhumans had just been discovered by SHIELD when Jessica Jones was happening.

Here's the timeline according to when each movie or show actually happens:

Code:
August to September 2014 — Daredevil Season 1
September 2014 — Agents of SHIELD Season 2 episode 6 onward
January to March 2015 — Jessica Jones Season 1
May 2015 — Avengers: AoU, Agents of SHIELD Season 2 ends
July to October 2015 — Ant-Man
October 2015 — Agents of SHIELD Season 3 begins
May 2016 — Captain America: Civil War, Agents of SHIELD Season 3 ends

AMUSIX

Reading into it too much. "one of them" just means one of the powered people, like the ones the woman saw during the Battle of NY. The script was not referring to the Inhuman/fish oil stuff.

AoS reacts to the MCU, but, aside from the Helicarrier thing (which was so clumsily handled) it does not interact with it.

Sou Da

Reading into it too much. "one of them" just means one of the powered people, like the ones the woman saw during the Battle of NY. The script was not referring to the Inhuman/fish oil stuff.

AoS reacts to the MCU, but, aside from the Helicarrier thing (which was so clumsily handled) it does not interact with it.
I guess. I don't really see how else people would want an AoS reference to be made though, it would go exactly like that.

because Inhumans hadn't been awakened yet when Daredevil happened, and Inhumans had just been discovered by SHIELD when Jessica Jones was happening.

Here's the timeline according to when each movie or show actually happens:

Code:
August to September 2014 — Daredevil Season 1
September 2014 — Agents of SHIELD Season 2 episode 6 onward
January to March 2015 — Jessica Jones Season 1
May 2015 — Avengers: AoU, Agents of SHIELD Season 2 ends
July to October 2015 — Ant-Man
October 2015 — Agents of SHIELD Season 3 begins
May 2016 — Captain America: Civil War, Agents of SHIELD Season 3 ends

Both very good points. I'll keep my fingers crossed, then.

Jackpot

Banned
Well, sometimes it can just be as simple as a description about something.

Like this for example; now I know there will be something big in the beginning, now I have nothing to look forward to.

May as well not watch it now you have nothing to look forward to. Clearly it's ruined from that detailed description.

Pachimari

Can someone enlighten me, because I thought everything in the MCU more or less happened in real time, which would put Jessica Jones in November but I can't remember if there was a date in the show that put it in March 2015 instead?

jph139

Can someone enlighten me, because I thought everything in the MCU more or less happened in real time, which would put Jessica Jones in November but I can't remember if there was a date in the show that put it in March 2015 instead?

The logic I work on is temperature. DD starts off in summer - short sleeves, clear skies, hot summer rains - and ends in late fall - heavy coats during
the funeral scene
for instance. JJ is the reverse; starts off cold, ends up in the spring.

This is mostly a consequence of the filming schedule, but it fits in-universe as well. So we can assume they take place when filmed rather than released.

Why is it clumsily handled? I thought it worked great.

Top Bottom