• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S3 |OT| Earthquakes Make Me Daisy - Tuesdays 9/8c

Just my two cents: I can't stand Hunter. He's the blandest version of a charismatic British wisecracker I've ever seen. No talents and no real humor, just complaints. Why they saddled Bobbi with him I'll never know. I would rather a version of the show that included resurrected Trip or Mack. But this spin-off idea is terrible.

Kin5290

On the other hand, there's Bobbi, and Delroy Lindo and Oded Fehr. I just wish it was on Netflix for the content rating, but Marvel's Burn Notice starring Mockingbird sounds awesome.

I never understood why SHIELD kept Hunter around anyway. He almost never followed orders, he's been constantly mixing personal stuff with work, and he was super reluctant about going on missions all the time.

She wasn't particularly good at that either, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, I'm sure the Macau-Chinese actress was talking in really bad Cantonese/Mandarin. :p

Whatever happened to Deathlock? One would think they need a cyborg now that they are going to fight inhumans. Seriously he is so underused, and the potential for Deathlock to be very efficient, capable member of the team is huge.

I've no idea. Deathlok was the very first super that Coulson recruited into his team, and you'd think that with all the superhuman threats they're facing, they'd want to not only exclusively use the Inhuman recruits. I've been saying it before in this thread even - where is he? Why is he being so quietly phased out? Is it because of budget reasons, they just didn't want to have to work the CG for his armor and guns or something? No clue. At least some explanation why Deathlok isn't being called in would be nice. A "he's on a super important mission in some place, and we can't pull him out" or something? Please?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
The Deathlok situation is probably just due to budget or the availability of the actor. Same reasons why the Koenigs have been absent for so long as well and same reason why the Secret Warriors are just sort of there for the time being, just waiting to be summoned.

If only ratings for the show was better. They would have more budget for effects and more actors around, even just random extras walking around in the background would make SHIELD look less like a small scale operation.

Slacka

I wouldnt be surprised if the absence of Deathlok as a regular or even recurring character is mostly down to J August Richards. I get the impression from stuff he has said in interviews previously that he generally seems to prefer occasional guest spots and shorter contained runs on shows rather than being locked into something which ties his hands if other interesting projects come up. He also seems to have been dabbling a lot in writing and directing in the last couple years so i guess that is taking up a lot of his time too.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Hunter has been criminally underused this season, and I'm sad to see him go. I was not too sure about a Hunter/Bobbi show, this episode hasn't given me much hope either. I enjoyed it, sure, but I was thankful for the intersections and eventually Coulson stepping in. It was just too much, I hope they manage to tone down Hunter especially. Bobbi is fine as she is.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I liked Hunter because he grounded the show. Everyone else is borderline super-powered or they are super geniuses or whatever. Even characters like Mack who are kind of written as if he's supposed to be an ordinary bloke -- he looks like a professional wrestler, he's great in a fight, and is also a super genius tech/hardware guy.

Hunter (and Trip before him) were competent and skilled but not crazy-super, for me that gave the show just enough of a grounding.

Mack is terrible in a fight unless he has an ax in his hands.

I actually thought it was so they could replace Agent Carter and still point to having a female-led show on network TV without incident

That's what I've been assuming. They'll probably can Agent Carter and run Most Wanted during SHIELD's midseason break next year. Especially since they haven't picked the show up to series yet, so they can't have it during the summer. I guess they could run it during the fall and air it concurrently with Agents of SHIELD, but that seems like too much. Unless they're going to double-down on Tuesdays with the Marvel stuff... I can only imagine the ratings and shudder.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Well Mack was never a field agent in the first place. It was Coulson who wanted him in the field.

Kaze Kyou

Yeah, I'm sure the Macau-Chinese actress was talking in really bad Cantonese/Mandarin. :p

Actually her Mandarin was pretty bad - the tones were all over the place, but that might be due to her being more familiar with Cantonese. Funnily enough, her Cantonese also has a very unnatural accent, like an "American-Born Chinese" kind of accent. Still, May is May, as long as she kicks ass who cares how average her Mandarin & Cantonese skills are?

Sad to see Bobbi and Hunter go. That said though, Hunter didn't really do anything this season, so perhaps having his character leave with a bit of dignity was the right thing to do.

The Deathlok situation is probably just due to budget or the availability of the actor. Same reasons why the Koenigs have been absent for so long as well and same reason why the Secret Warriors are just sort of there for the time being, just waiting to be summoned.

If only ratings for the show was better. They would have more budget for effects and more actors around, even just random extras walking around in the background would make SHIELD look less like a small scale operation.

Still, some sort of on-screen acknowledgement of his absence, rather than him just being silently phased out like he never even existed, would be nice.

Funnily enough, her Cantonese also has a very unnatural accent, like an "American-Born Chinese" kind of accent.

That's probably because Ming Na Wen pretty much is exactly that haha. She was born in Macau but the family moved to America shortly after.
Fair do on her Mandarin though.

HeySeuss

Glad I stayed out of this thread since I missed it Tuesday night and just watched it. The bar scene.... Damn.

And I don't get the Hunter hate. I thought he was a great character.

Joeytj

Banned
Meh, I'm with those saying that this episode didn't make me want a Bobbi and Hunter spinoff.

I like how they helped AoS get rid of that "interns of SHIELD" aura, but their characters (actors?) don't do much more than that.

MAYBE Bobbi if she really reaches Black Widow levels of awesome in Most Wanted, but doubt it.

Whatever, sad to see them go like this.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Shit, Bear McCreary killed that final scene.

He finally had something to work with on-screen.

On Battlestar Galactica, he did amazing work on the regular, but that's because there was always good drama going on that he could play off of. His work on SHIELD is kinda disappointingly one-dimensional but I chalk that up to him knowing that the show he's scoring is pretty one-dimensional most of the time, too. It's like he's always able to perfectly capture the essence of a scene with his music, whether the scene is quality or not.

I saw next week's clip and I hope they have the non-combat characters get some training. One of my favorite episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation was Deanna Troi working her way up to and taking the exam to become a commander. Fitz getting info from (ISIS?) about the monolith was neat. Hopefully the remaining characters get extended into new roles they aren't otherwise in; maybe even learn another language. xD

Terrible episode tbh, I found myself cringing at times. AoS Ratings are going down and a spin off is not going to help. I hope ABC comes to their senses and cancels it, or move it to ABC family

Terrible episode tbh, I found myself cringing at times. AoS Ratings are going down and a spin off is not going to help. I hope ABC comes to their senses and cancels it, or move it to ABC family
You mean freeform (blech). The show's too mature for that channel. It has a lot of weird tonal issues that the netflix shows almost entirely avoid by being direct about their intended audience.

Slacka

Dang...who could he be? Powered or not-powered?

That's a really good question. It seems from the article that is character is likely to be a primary antagonist, which narrows the possibilities, and its always been hard to tell what they might be allowed to use on TV, as while it says "Well known" i'm sure anyone significant will always have the "we might use them in a movie" veto.

Going by villains that have been involved with Mockingbird and Fortune though I guess it could be the Alexei Shostakov version of Ronin, since I cant imagine they will ever do the Hawkeye version of that character in a movie, and since this version's entire plot revolved around assassinating spies and was heavily connected to Russia it fits the theme of Most Wanted.

I would argue Ronin isn't really a well-known character though, especially since it's generally been a name that was used by characters with other identities to hide who they really are.

No I think it might be someone else. I'm thinking he might be playing the Hood.

Slacka

As much as I would love to see the hood I think it is unlikely they would use him here. Besides, I just don't think you could ever do him justice outside of a Netflix show as a lot of the things he has done in the comics has been pretty dark, and stuff on that level isn't going to happen on ABC.

Plus there is the fact that his powers have variously come from the norn stones, which would require Loki, or the infinity gems, neither of which are likely going to be used on TV any time soon, and he has also been previously powered by possession by Dormammu which is strictly Dr Strange territory in the Mcu, so unless they go with a super watered down unpowered portrayal I just don't see it being him.

I'm thinking it'd be the Hood because of a few reasons, particularly because they've been alluding to the Darkforce quite often lately in Agent Carter and AoS, and Dr. Strange will officially bring magic to the MCU, which means that magical characters will be open to them.
And yes I know the Hood's cloak isn't based on the Darkforce, but it's whatever right now.
The Hood also is a crime lord. The article says that the villain they'll face will be a force to be reckoned with, and it would make sense for Bobbi/Hunter (how are we gonna call them? Bunter? Hobbi?) to vigilante after him. And he would fit the bill for a well-known character.

Of course, the alternative could be that since they're gonna be on the run, we'll be seeing Oded Fehr cast as someone who's good in the comics, as the head of some sort of law enforcement. Kinda like how Thunderbolt Ross is a villain for the Hulk, although he's technically a good guy.

Gazunta

Just saw Episode 13 and....uh...I don't get it.

OK, so for diplomatic reasons Coulson had to convince the Russians that Bobbi and Hunter were just tourists, and him and Ellis had to say that they weren't S.H.I.E.L.D. agents.

But...so what? What's stopping Bobbi and Hunter from meeting up with the crew later, getting back on the team, getting new codenames and getting back to business? They're spies! Being in places where they're technically not allowed to be is part of the job!

What, they're supposed to be afraid of that guy in the bar who was watching them with such fury and intensity that he didn't notice six people toasting them at the same time? Ooh, I'm sure ditching him is a lot of work.

"Russia would be angry if they ever found out you guys were actually spies" is....huh, I just don't get it at all.

What am I missing? The wife asked me today why they couldn't rejoin the team, and for the life of me I couldn't think of a good enough answer, and I'm the king of making up bullshit reasons for papering over plot holes.

Kin5290

It's weird, because in normal situations the Russians would just PNG them and send them back home, the US would issue a mild apology and lose face for at most 5 minutes on the world stage, and everyone would move on. Or they'd sit in prison for a few months until a spy exchange is done.

Hell, there was that SAD contractor who shot 2 Pakistanis, apparently in cold blood, and he got off basically scott free.

Actually, what was stopping the US from basically going "fuck it" and revealing that the PM of the Russian Federation almost got killed in a coup attempt, after they received their two agents back? That way Bobbi and Hunter are framed as heroes, even if their covert work days are over, and Russia suffers a loss in credibility.

It's weird, because in normal situations the Russians would just PNG them and send them back home, the US would issue a mild apology and lose face for at most 5 minutes on the world stage, and everyone would move on. Or they'd sit in prison for a few months until a spy exchange is done.

Hell, there was that SAD contractor who shot 2 Pakistanis, apparently in cold blood, and he got off basically scott free.

Actually, what was stopping the US from basically going "fuck it" and revealing that the PM of the Russian Federation almost got killed in a coup attempt, after they received their two agents back? That way Bobbi and Hunter are framed as heroes, even if their covert work days are over, and Russia suffers a loss in credibility.

They aren't going to spend their "a few months" in a prison because they are frammed with the task of killing russian elites.
The choice was :
-Escape and then the US play the dumb card, assume that they were in the facility and then they can't do any kind of covert op EVER for shield. And that would be the death of them as characters.
-Execution ( they have no value as hostages since the governement deny the fact that they are spy since shield doesn't exist )

As for the second question : the USA wanted to say "fuck it" , but the russian president said : " but 3 of my high officials are dead , you can't just say that nothing happenned"

OK, so for diplomatic reasons Coulson had to convince the Russians that Bobbi and Hunter were just tourists, and him and Ellis had to say that they weren't S.H.I.E.L.D. agents.

But...so what? What's stopping Bobbi and Hunter from meeting up with the crew later, getting back on the team, getting new codenames and getting back to business? They're spies! Being in places where they're technically not allowed to be is part of the job!

What, they're supposed to be afraid of that guy in the bar who was watching them with such fury and intensity that he didn't notice six people toasting them at the same time? Ooh, I'm sure ditching him is a lot of work.

"Russia would be angry if they ever found out you guys were actually spies" is....huh, I just don't get it at all.

What am I missing? The wife asked me today why they couldn't rejoin the team, and for the life of me I couldn't think of a good enough answer, and I'm the king of making up bullshit reasons for papering over plot holes.

Because shield doesn't exist and both sides are playing poker.
All the sides of this conflict are lying to protect their interests. And the one telling the truth would have to explain the inhumans ( that is still the best/worst secret of the planet so far ) to the public.
It's a task nobody wants , especially when some are killing other people.
In the bar , they can just say " oh those are people i think i knew" and keep the poker face.
But on a mission where anything can happen is another story

Bear in mind , currently only a handfull of agencies around the world are trully aware that "it's an arms race"

Magwik

Banned
tbh i'd rather have only 4 agents than a loose cannon like Hunter.

Like, they're making such a big deal out of Lincoln being a loose cannon, too. But he's not even nearly as bad as Hunter lol.
The difference between Lincoln and Hunter is that Hunter doesn't have the personality and charisma of a stick.

The difference between Lincoln and Hunter is that Hunter doesn't have the personality and charisma of a stick.

But having the personality of a stick or not shouldn't be a deciding factor on if you're going to have an agent. In fact, I'd argue that a predictable, dull personality makes a better agent than a wisecracking troublemaker. :p

Quick

Banned
Hunter is the mouthpiece of the group, but he generally sticks to the plan.

Lincoln is portrayed as on the edge of snapping, recently with almost killing Creel.

MajorMane

Just watched this episode and the way I understand it, that's exactly what Coulson offered them. He came in with an extraction plan that would allow them to escape and come back to SHIELD - albeit no longer working in the field. (They had been compromised so fieldwork is a no go, I suppose.)

But Bobbi and Hunter decided against that. It's been something they've been playing with with Hunter for the past few episodes now and with both of them in this episode (talking about all the vacations they've never had, Hunter's conversation with May, etc.) They both knew that if they didn't go through with extraction, they'd be disavowed from SHIELD and not be able to rejoin said team, but they made that decision in order to save the team ("extraction won't work here"), as well as save public face that SHIELD is back working from the shadows ("expose all of you".) They're "taking the bullet" as the "shield" like they vowed to do.

The way I understood it, the man in the bar is from sort of intelligence agency. Bobbi and Hunter are not afraid of him, but they make the comment that "it will be a long time before anyone in the intelligence business trusts us again." He's just there to keep tabs on Bobbi and Hunter just like SHIELD would do with persons of interest.

tl;dr Bobbi and Hunter had the option of extraction and going back to SHIELD exactly as you said, but they decided against it in order to save the team and SHIELD itself from being outed in public as still existing and operating.

Top Bottom